Sign in to follow this  
Umbranik

Xanadu Location

"fresh new start" players

You know what I've never gotten is that the people who advocate for this have forum accounts and thus aren't really that fresh I'd think. :huh:

Edited by Elen

Option to select what server you want to travel too upon reaching a boarder. That is what I would do anyway.

^This would be my choice^

Just cut it off. If P/R cluster works, a new cluster should also work.

Just let the old cluster die out on its own.

there will always be someone unhappy about something..

And you'd be one of the grumpy ones if xanadu was seperate cluster, or if pristine/release are kept on their own cluster. Getting your way is obviously going to make people who disagree with you grumpy. And you'd be pitching a fit, as you were when there was possibility that it was fresh start/seperate, if the Devs decided against what you want :P

Edited by Sevenless

At the moment there are only map borders only go to one other map, so it will probably have to be a grid or chain of some kind.

At the moment there are only map borders only go to one other map, so it will probably have to be a grid or chain of some kind.

Grid

We have enough of a chain already

Grid

We have enough of a chain already

Chain is better suited. It would avoid flooding of the newer servers without it being to easy to travel to. Some time needed to travel to the new maps should not be an issue and should be expected. Continue the chain to the east.  To the east of all PVE servers right now should connect to xanadu and P & R to the east of xanadu.

Stop crying about how long it will take to travel it. A somewhat long travel will be the major separation each server can have which will help the economy, by also still giving the option for players to travel if they so choose.

Chain is better suited. It would avoid flooding of the newer servers without it being to easy to travel to. Some time needed to travel to the new maps should not be an issue and should be expected. Continue the chain to the east.  To the east of all PVE servers right now should connect to xanadu and P & R to the east of xanadu.

Stop crying about how long it will take to travel it. A somewhat long travel will be the major separation each server can have which will help the economy, by also still giving the option for players to travel if they so choose.

In-game economy is a joke, and a lame excuse to botch such a big happening in the game like a "revolutionary" big server.  If the "chain" formation is used to connect servers, Xanadu should be in the middle of it.  But a grid would be optimal.

Those that enjoy travelling for hours and hours, can grab a boat and circle around any island.

• Like 2

Chain is better suited. It would avoid flooding of the newer servers without it being to easy to travel to.

The inter server mailing will be 80-90% of the economic effect, rest if a high skilled player(s) relocates to P/R (which is unlikely with Xanadu). Connection style doesn't really matter. Bulk goods will still be produced locally, and in fact they're in line with old cluster pricing as is right now. Ship prices might be influenced, but we've recently had a market crash so currently they're at old cluster prices as well.

So it doesn't really matter where we get hooked up for the economy. Not one bit.

Edit: We might see chaos style. Multiple entry to Xanadu, single server exit destination. Unless they refine the code for it.

Edited by Sevenless

I would like it that when you sail to a border it asks you which server you are sailing to. So if you sail off the WEST end of your server you end up on the EAST end of the server you choose.

If not then any server that can't get to Xanadu in one hop or Chaos is not going to be happy.

So grid would be second best. Chaining is a pain when you want to get to the other end of the chain, wrap around would help a little on a chain. But I think if we don't get have server choosing a well laid out grid with wrap around would be my next best hope.

I'd like it more if Xanadu was south of Chaos and likewise west of Deli / Exo / Cele.

Pristine and Release could be west of Xanadu.

This is part of the problem, thinking that server crossings by ship can only be arranged in these two manners. Other ways have been presented within this thread even that are worth consideration for a shorter more direct means of crossing servers by ships.

=Ayes=

Personally I hope that it forms a globe so you can have many options for traveling; for example it's dumb to go from Celebration to Independence you have to go through heaps of servers - granted you can take a shortcut via Chaos but I understand many don't want to risk that.

Actual positioning can be debated but something like this would be awesome (excuse my mspaint skills)

kwjNv7d.png

Considering the size of Xanadu versus other servers if you wanted to add new servers you could just put them down the side; and whatever direction you sail on _any_ server will lead you to another - you could sail for years and immersion would be cool IMO.

(obviously Pristine and Release being connected is something that needs voting on or whatever)

That would make planet-wurm a torus (aka donut) and a very small one at that :P

I would like it to be a fresh server not linked to anywhere. Give everyone a fresh start, look at the influx of players when release and pristine were launched. A true fresh start with a completely new mad rush with unskilled players. If that would be confirmed I'd take a week of work for that, a true wurm experience.

I would like it to be a fresh server not linked to anywhere. Give everyone a fresh start, look at the influx of players when release and pristine were launched. A true fresh start with a completely new mad rush with unskilled players. If that would be confirmed I'd take a week of work for that, a true wurm experience.

And many old players would bring a lot of pitchforks to Rolf's office... Thus why that isn't a reality.

Feel free to start a new character yourself though, there's nothing at all stopping you or anyone else from doing it - and you shouldn't let other "skilled" players effect you from doing so. There's a lot of fun to be had from doing it, don't worry about the economy and the money you can make - play the game as a game! ;)

• Like 2

Why not discover that the world is round and connect Xanadu's east and west coast?

Personally I hope that it forms a globe so you can have many options for traveling; for example it's dumb to go from Celebration to Independence you have to go through heaps of servers - granted you can take a shortcut via Chaos but I understand many don't want to risk that.

Actual positioning can be debated but something like this would be awesome (excuse my mspaint skills)

kwjNv7d.png

Considering the size of Xanadu versus other servers if you wanted to add new servers you could just put them down the side; and whatever direction you sail on _any_ server will lead you to another - you could sail for years and immersion would be cool IMO.

(obviously Pristine and Release being connected is something that needs voting on or whatever)

I like this "World" configuration except I don't support the North and South connections that would make the world a donut. East and West yes, North and South no, just like a real planet (only in recent times could man go truly north and south on Earth and reach the other side). To me being able to go from Xanadu's North coast and end up on Xanadu's south coast seems way off.

I could just "roleplay"  that the North and South connections don't exist... not use them myself..... and then I would agree with others and consider it acceptable as designed.

And many old players would bring a lot of pitchforks to Rolf's office... Thus why that isn't a reality.

Feel free to start a new character yourself though, there's nothing at all stopping you or anyone else from doing it - and you shouldn't let other "skilled" players effect you from doing so. There's a lot of fun to be had from doing it, don't worry about the economy and the money you can make - play the game as a game! ;)

In my opinion I think we will see a repeat of what Rolf did with P&R... no connections to other servers for a very long time, maybe years. Rolf said he would connect P&R within a few months and it still has not happened. I see the same scenario happening again with Xanadu's launch. I don't believe for an instant that Rolf will connect Xanadu within a week or two like we think we heard him say he would. The P&R Launch proved that it can be very profitable making new servers that remain unconnected with the old ones. Consider THAT and then ask yourselves whether you really think Rolf would pass that up.

IMHO I think if we want in on this massive landrush made for the new Players drawn to Wurm by the "massive ad campaign" then we will have to make new characters like we did for P&R and take the plunge long term.

and no matter how much we old Players rant and rave, or how many of us have torches and pitchforks, I doubt it will matter.

I'm not saying all of you are wrong, just my opinion on what will actually happen. I know what Rolf said. Rolf has changed his mind before many times and he'll do it again. I actually hope I am wrong and Rolf does connect Xanadu to the other server sooner rather than later... I just don't think it will happen that way though.

Edited by Kyrmius

Why cant we get a simple yes or no on if Xanadu will be connected to Pristine?

Because it's Wednesday and the devs have a rhythm of publicizing announcements and updates on Thursday? We will get a tidbit of more info tomorrow, I suppose.

Because they haven't voted yet, probably.

I like this "World" configuration except I don't support the North and South connections that would make the world a donut. East and West yes, North and South no, just like a real planet (only in recent times could man go truly north and south on Earth and reach the other side). To me being able to go from Xanadu's North coast and end up on Xanadu's south coast seems way off.

I could just "roleplay" that the North and South connections don't exist... not use them myself..... and then I would agree with others and consider it acceptable as designed.

In my opinion I think we will see a repeat of what Rolf did with P&R... no connections to other servers for a very long time, maybe years. Rolf said he would connect P&R within a few months and it still has not happened. I see the same scenario happening again with Xanadu's launch. I don't believe for an instant that Rolf will connect Xanadu within a week or two like we think we heard him say he would. The P&R Launch proved that it can be very profitable making new servers that remain unconnected with the old ones. Consider THAT and then ask yourselves whether you really think Rolf would pass that up.

IMHO I think if we want in on this massive landrush made for the new Players drawn to Wurm by the "massive ad campaign" then we will have to make new characters like we did for P&R and take the plunge long term.

and no matter how much we old Players rant and rave, or how many of us have torches and pitchforks, I doubt it will matter.

I'm not saying all of you are wrong, just my opinion on what will actually happen. I know what Rolf said. Rolf has changed his mind before many times and he'll do it again. I actually hope I am wrong and Rolf does connect Xanadu to the other server sooner rather than later... I just don't think it will happen that way though.

The logical side of my mind wants to say that the devs wouldn't be foolish enough to limit acces to their crown jewel, but logic doesn't always have a place here....

Edited by Umbranik

Because it's Wednesday and the devs have a rhythm of publicizing announcements and updates on Thursday? We will get a tidbit of more info tomorrow, I suppose.

I hope we can get a confirmation on one way or another, I'd like to book a week off but need to do in advance like many others. Please Please give us some notice so we can plan our schedules.  :D