Sign in to follow this  
Mark

New Test Server

I have an idea after reading some rage posts about bugs before new features. I agree that there should be more attention to bugs than there is, but not many people play on the test server.

So how about a new test server?

On the test server, its just like the real servers. People can play on them, but:

1) You have to use the unstable client, always.

2) The server can be reset at any time

3) Full pvp, no deeds (because the server can reset)

4) Your skills are separate from the normal cluster

Benefits of the Test Server:

1) You get premium for free (only on that server, you 'pay' your premium by helping the dev team test bugs)

2) Skill gain is double like Epic, to help with high end skill bug squashing (if there is any)

That's just letting people play the varient of a game for free though...

Rolf does have bills to pay.

Now if you'd suggested actually using the test server I'd have +1'd to hell and back.

The test server really ought to be wiped monthly.  Just save it in some pristine state and restart it from there.   I'd strongly recommend an incredibly plain map that is basically flat with a single lake 20 or 30 dirts below the flat map and some rock for testing mining.  If you want folks to test building don't make them level first.

At any given time there should be a thread with what the devs want tested for that month.  For instance fiddling with animals to test AI.

The current test server is very stale.  The last post in the test server thread was months ago about PvP tweaks.  In the intervening time there have been numerous tweaks that didn't go well that could have been delayed a week and trivially tested on there.

Actually the normal non-xanadu test server does use epic curve and allow anyone to be prem (and even set theirs skills to 70) and pvp... you are not supposed to play there though beside testing random things or when circumstances happen (like when wurm got ddos), no trader to buy deed or things, and it wipe frequently without notification.

Actually the normal non-xanadu test server does use epic curve and allow anyone to be prem (and even set theirs skills to 70) and pvp... you are not supposed to play there though beside testing random things or when circumstances happen (like when wurm got ddos), no trader to buy deed or things, and it wipe frequently without notification.

Actually there are two clusters on the current test server atm, use a portal to go from a test_freedom server to a test_epic server. Each clusters got two servers you can reach with the portal at the spawns.

Edited by Serpentarius

I have an idea after reading some rage posts about bugs before new features. I agree that there should be more attention to bugs than there is, but not many people play on the test server.

So how about a new test server?

On the test server, its just like the real servers. People can play on them, but:

1) You have to use the unstable client, always.

2) The server can be reset at any time

3) Full pvp, no deeds (because the server can reset)

4) Your skills are separate from the normal cluster

Benefits of the Test Server:

1) You get premium for free (only on that server, you 'pay' your premium by helping the dev team test bugs)

2) Skill gain is double like Epic, to help with high end skill bug squashing (if there is any)

That is exactly like the actual test server!

Matches 100% expect premium time which is completely free anyways there

Edited by Sklo:D

I think he's aiming more towards a server (like that's already there) but actually gets used.

IE devs will put content on it for a few weeks and make sure it's "working" and players can also test it and give there opinions.

(That's just how I read it, could be wrong?)

If so, I'd see no problem with that... Except players are VERY biased so it could cause some issues there.

Overall, I think it would help a bit, so we stop getting so many issues on the live servers - but that's really up to the Dev team to do such a test server, not really something for us to decide.

The test servers do get used when there's something to be tested by a handful of player volunteers, typically large scale features such as multi-story.

Normally, they are not intended to be regularly played on, and are wiped off and on.

Is there a reason one cannot spawn gear and set skills on the test server at the moment?  I went to go test some stuff today only to find when I activate a tool and right click the ground and select "test", nothing happens.  No menu appears to allow me to spawn gear/change skills.

Is there a reason one cannot spawn gear and set skills on the test server at the moment?  I went to go test some stuff today only to find when I activate a tool and right click the ground and select "test", nothing happens.  No menu appears to allow me to spawn gear/change skills.

it was fixed today.  see the post:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/101781-test-server-cannot-spawn-gearchange-skills/#entry1034502