Sign in to follow this  
theowl

world of airplanes

I feel like someone is trying really hard.

• Like 2

Messed around in the beta a bit due to my World of Tanks account, it was okay. Though, really haven't played it much since the launch.

EDIT: Any idea when they plan to start the testing with ships?

Edited by Klaa

I tried it, unfortunately I find the graphics to be too low with some bad lag at points, so I will just stick to my World of Tanks.

(It is difficult to get anything past about tier 5-6 in WoT without premium!...)

go war thunder for planes. WoWP just very arcady for me, but your millage may vary.

EDIT: Any idea when they plan to start the testing with ships?

Should start soon, Elwood started saying that he was invited into alpha testing by WoT devs 1 year and 2 months ago.

saddly im not allowed to say more about world of warships due the rules in regards of the alpha. ;/

Edited by Elwood2

saddly im not allowed to say more about world of warships due the rules in regards of the alpha. ;/

I'm excited for that one for some weird reason. Hope it's fun when it comes out ^_^

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Didn't WG threaten to boot (and I believe ban) those who are already in the testing for simply announcing they were in the testing?

The last releases from WG looked promising though.

World of Warplanes was meh.  Altitude was king, really.  They tried to change it up a bit, but really, if you have altitude and speed, you'll win (or at least run away if things get hairy).

Limited the choice in lines to be super competitive.

I tried it after playing world of tanks, I had high hopes and meh it was just ok and id rather play world of tanks.  But I ended up quitting world of tanks too, because I had to change my password to something soo "secure" i couldnt even remember what it was.

World of Warplanes was meh. Altitude was king, really. They tried to change it up a bit, but really, if you have altitude and speed, you'll win (or at least run away if things get hairy).

Limited the choice in lines to be super competitive.

Whaaaaaa? You can't just turn and burn on the deck and win? /sarcasm

Whaaaaaa? You can't just turn and burn on the deck and win? /sarcasm

Whoa, before you start throwing implied insults of calling people a noob, you should take a moment to think.

Altitude and speed give you absolute control of both the tactical and strategic portions of the battle.

In a tactical sense, you're free to engage when an opportunity arises.  You pick the moment when a fight happens.  If they aren't favorable, you maintain altitude or find a more favorable fight.  Assuming you're playing your cards right, the lower altitude plane fights at YOUR discretion (IE whenever he's at a disadvantage). 

And if things get bad, say another enemy plane joins the fight, you have the freedom to climb and/or boost away as needed.

On a strategic sense, you can get to your places faster.  Boom and zoom allows you to maintain your speed.  You can get to the places you need to be sooner. 

Also, if you have a significant air supremency advantage, you can climb to well above a low altitude plane's optimum altitude.  If the low altitude plane is forced to climb up to your altitude, they lose both their speed and precious manuverability they have.  If they don't climb up, you stay up and win.

So, in short, if the only way for an equal tier lower altitude plane to win is if the high altitude plane screws up by flying low and burning all his speed.  That's a brutal balance where a player's chance of victory hinges on his opponent's stupidity.

Feel free to check out my stats.  My username is Hailene2092 on the NA server.  Granted I was a better tanker than pilot, but I still feel like my stats ought to say I know how to fly. 

It's the B&Z mechanics combined with a HP pool that makes plane tier differences such a big deal. In War Thunder, it's possible to get a good shot in a on a high tier plane and effectively disable the ailerons or something, thus evening the playing field.

When you just have to whittle down their higher HP with lower damage and less ability to apply it, things aren't looking bright at all.

That, and the crappy controls (which somehow have to be adjusted for every plane) make the game very unappealing to me.

• Like 1

It's the B&Z mechanics combined with a HP pool that makes plane tier differences such a big deal. In War Thunder, it's possible to get a good shot in a on a high tier plane and effectively disable the ailerons or something, thus evening the playing field.

When you just have to whittle down their higher HP with lower damage and less ability to apply it, things aren't looking bright at all.

That, and the crappy controls (which somehow have to be adjusted for every plane) make the game very unappealing to me.

The damage difference isn't that big of a deal.  If you can shoot, you'll take out the enemy within seconds if you can line up the shot.  If they're distracted, for example.

Issue is that the fight is usually up high enough that simply going up to the fight is usually suicide.  The loss of speed is absolutely punishing.  Also the poor rate of roll for the mid-high tier low altitude planes makes dodging very difficult to begin with.

They just appeal to different gamer demographics.  Just like War Thunder Ground Forces vs. World of Tanks, both games are fun in different ways to different players.

I'll just never understand the "us vs. them" in gaming.  Be it specific games, or platforms, gamers just seem to be devolving into this mindset of "this is mine and everything else that tries to be like it in any way is bad".

Games should be fun for you.  If they're not, just move on, why bash them (or those who play it)?

As for this discussion:

20140517.gif