Sign in to follow this  
theowl

I personally love wurm online

I like wurm for what it is. It fine how it easy and you can win with money most of the time. This game is not about winning or fair compitition but is about community. Yes projects take a lot of time, but the fun part is with friends and not on own. That is the only thing wurm has.

• Like 2

I love wurm online because it allows me to design and create any deed/house i want. If that was not enough then it also offers hunting, crafting, fishing, sailing, horseback riding, pets, farming, winemaking well i guess you can see where this is going. :)

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 3

1) Can't tell if you're being sarcastic, or just someone so into corrupted societies that you think its nice that money always wins.

2) Most people are still on this forum because they love Wurm. Some of us want it to change, because we have, lets call it prevision or forethought, and know that wurm as it is can't last. The game keeps bleeding old players, and the new players can't make up for that loss because due to lobbies from older players the game is just getting harsher and harsher for the new player (with very few exceptions that are very punctual, temporary, and don't make up for the impossibility to ever, no matter how hard you try, catch up to any veteran without resorting to buying characters from quitting players (or people that simply dedicate themselves to making characters to sell).

3) You forgot that its pretty much impossible to play with your friends since the game is so slow, grindy and overall bad that 90% of your friends won't touch it with a 2meter pole.

• Like 5

3) You forgot that its pretty much impossible to play with your friends since the game is so slow, grindy and overall bad that 90% of your friends won't touch it with a 2meter pole.

And that's why you make friends in game 

Can't really relate to the whole "friends i've never met" thing. I do have "friends" i made on games online, but its not really the same thing. And i'd much rather play with my real friends, you know those people you can go have a cofee and joke about how bad his play was on the game we were playing 30m ago online (when we run out of car, women and money themed talk).

And although i wouldn't consider people i've met in games as "friends" more like colleagues or whatnot, i still devote resources and time into those people, more than what many people devote to their own friends. In fact pretty much the main reason i still play is the commitment i have towards people that joined one of my deeds.

This said, go read what i told you on the other thread about being deaf dumb and blind about wurm's issues.

1) Can't tell if you're being sarcastic, or just someone so into corrupted societies that you think its nice that money always wins.

2) Most people are still on this forum because they love Wurm. Some of us want it to change, because we have, lets call it prevision or forethought, and know that wurm as it is can't last. The game keeps bleeding old players, and the new players can't make up for that loss because due to lobbies from older players the game is just getting harsher and harsher for the new player (with very few exceptions that are very punctual, temporary, and don't make up for the impossibility to ever, no matter how hard you try, catch up to any veteran without resorting to buying characters from quitting players (or people that simply dedicate themselves to making characters to sell).

Perfectly written comment. I would like to add to this all the unneeded additions while the game itself is still not balanced. KanePT's 3rd comment about it being almost impossible to get your friends to play has a lot of merit. I have run many niche guilds throughout many different games and have never had a problem moving players from one game to the other... but I managed to bring about a dozen core members to Wurm a year ago and none of the stuck around. Most reasons were that no matter how hard you try to catch up you are always looking at 3+ years before you can make an impact (without just creating a zerg that is).

Some people claim that Wurm gives you the ability to do what you want but it does not. Had the population been greater then perhaps that theory would be possible bit the simple fact that both population and balance lack there is barely a possibility.

I like many others do love the game for its concept, but changes need to be made and added. Although some people comment about things to basically hand things to new players and carebears there are many other good comments and suggestions made which could add balance without breaking the game and pissing off vet players.

• Like 1

Can't really relate to the whole "friends i've never met" thing. I do have "friends" i made on games online, but its not really the same thing. And i'd much rather play with my real friends, you know those people you can go have a cofee and joke about how bad his play was on the game we were playing 30m ago online (when we run out of car, women and money themed talk).

And although i wouldn't consider people i've met in games as "friends" more like colleagues or whatnot, i still devote resources and time into those people, more than what many people devote to their own friends. In fact pretty much the main reason i still play is the commitment i have towards people that joined one of my deeds.

This said, go read what i told you on the other thread about being deaf dumb and blind about wurm's issues.

This however I do not agree with fully.. although yes its fun to have IRL friends who play but I've made online friends who I can say I consider IRL friends. Had some of us lived closer I'm sure we would have gone to get a drink a few times or just hang out. Perhaps its because I've always run smaller tight knit clans vs large ones but I keep in touch IRL with many people I've met online even if we are playing different games.

There is no difference in making friends over the internet or in real they are still people.

This however I do not agree with fully.. although yes its fun to have IRL friends who play but I've made online friends who I can say I consider IRL friends. Had some of us lived closer I'm sure we would have gone to get a drink a few times or just hang out. Perhaps its because I've always run smaller tight knit clans vs large ones but I keep in touch IRL with many people I've met online even if we are playing different games.

There is no difference in making friends over the internet or in real they are still people.

To me it does. Not trying to say everyone should think the same, and i am friendly toward many people i met online and call them friends, but to me it isn't the same, just that.

And i'd rather have my real life friends or "friends" i met online in other games playing this with me, than resigning to having to play with people i met here. I have people that have been playing with me for 10 years on several games, like you said, i also have a guild that i play and we skip and jump games all the time, but Wurm is just something none played more than a couple weeks.

And mind you we started the guild in Kalonline a freaking Korean grinder game, it took me a month (although i had massive lag issues) to go from 31 to 33 out of i think 100+ levels... So its not even just the lag, although most of us won't touch grinders like that anymore, the gaming industry changed and so have we. Which is why its sad that Wurm has stagnated in this state, which at the time wurm was made grindy was more or less the norm in MMOs. But nowadays it isn't and its sad that the devs refuse to adapt.

Also i'd like to point out what i've said many times. And before the troll "If you don't like it leave it" start showing up. I do love Wurm, i've been playing it for years, and i'd like to keep playing it. Problem is Wurm has a tiny pop for a MMO, and the "uniqueness" of Wurm is starting to be less unique, and we're starting to see games that have most features of Wurm, but better technical aspects, better fighting, and not as grindy. And Wurm is stuck on this mode. With old players leaving for this and that, soon enough wurm won't have enough players to stay up, and instead of new servers we'll have servers being shut down, and finally no Wurm. I don't want that, which is why i think Wurm needs to change.

Edited by KanePT

Let me just jump on this, Last year same time wurm had about 3-400 LESS players a day. Wurm is growing open your eyes.

atazs will you be my friend ingame :P

I like how someone makes a post about why they really like this game and as usual we have people take a a post about the positives of the game we like to play and ###### about it the game instead.

• Like 2

atazs will you be my friend ingame :P

Sure 

but the fun part is with friends and not on own. That is the only thing wurm has.

Opinion. 

Personally, I don't come here to socialize or meet friends... I have enough of that in RL. The fact that this game is multiplayer means two things to me: I have others to compare my skills against/beat and those other people can see the work i've done in game.

Basically, I'm here to be better than you, not to chit chat. In my view, the point to playing a game is winning, not to bond with friends. 

(Have I met cool people in game? Sure. That's not my motivation to play Wurm, though... that's just an added benefit)

Opinion. 

Personally, I don't come here to socialize or meet friends... I have enough of that in RL. The fact that this game is multiplayer means two things to me: I have others to compare my skills against/beat and those other people can see the work i've done in game.

Basically, I'm here to be better than you, not to chit chat. In my view, the point to playing a game is winning, not to bond with friends. 

(Have I met cool people in game? Sure. That's not my motivation to play Wurm, though... that's just an added benefit)

There is no "winning" in a sandbox.

Only your own personal defined goals that you reach and thus you consider yourself to win.

This game is a lot more about community and socializing/helping each other than it is the opposite but you can play both.

• Like 1

There is no "winning" in a sandbox.

Only your own personal defined goals that you reach and thus you consider yourself to win.

This game is a lot more about community and socializing/helping each other than it is the opposite but you can play both.

Very true. I had stated that those were my personal motivations, though.

I wasn't disputing the fact that this game (and many other MMOs) are played because of the sociability standpoint, I was disputing the OP's claim that it was the "only thing that Wurm had".

I enjoy wurm for what it is, a social medieval sim (of sorts).  I can build, fight, and grind all while talking to my villagers ingame.  It's a good pace for me as I don't have time to turbonerd anymore.  As long as Wurm Online is around, so will I.

• Like 1

If you want to do better just throw money at game thats how winners win I dont care is why this game is fine

If you feel that throwing money at the game is achievement enough for yourself, then go for it, play Wurm however you want to play it.

I'll not deny I've bought some things in this game with real money, but I do feel it devalues the accomplishment significantly, and I will only use it very sparingly such as in cases of buying something that is prohibitively expensive in the silvers.

(As we all know know making significant silver in these game is more of a timesink than anything else)

This guy keeps going on and on about how you just throw money at wurm to win? Could I not have grinder for a year and a half to get my 70 skills? No idea what he's rambling about

This guy keeps going on and on about how you just throw money at wurm to win? Could I not have grinder for a year and a half to get my 70 skills? No idea what he's rambling about

Well I mean you can buy characters but his point is invalidated because nobody wins in a sandbox.

Look at the PVP servers, even those kingdoms can't "win", just stay ontop for awhile.

70 skills is not all there is in terms of pay to win. Body stats are also part of the pay to win.

As far as pve goes I don't really think it matters much but for PvP stats along with the inability to get decent armor. And the major problem is not that you have to pay for Drake or scale, but the fact that there lacks balance between armor differences.

I love Wurm online because I play it as a [fantasy] wilderness survival simulator, which Wurm does well.

I love Wurm online because I play it as a [fantasy] wilderness survival simulator, which Wurm does well.

That's like the first two weeks of Wurm. If you're struggling to survive after that, you're doing it wrong.

AS for the pay to win. There might not be a permanent victory or a actual win condition on Wurm, but from the momment you can put yourself ahead of other simply by throwing money at the game, that's pay to win. Even if there's no victory.

I mean simple example: RandomJoe and Johndoe are both competing in the market for selling weapons. Both started at the same time, ANd have been pretty much neck to neck, and competing mostly with special prices and whatnot. Then RandomJoe buys Oldguy1816's account which is a lvl 100 Weaponsmith and his 100 faith 90 channeling 90 SD Vyn priest, and starts selling ql 90 Weapons with great enchants for discount prices... How is that not Pay to win?

Not even going for the obvious case of buying high stat chars/uber weapons or dragon armors on PvP. Every fight ends in a victory or a defeat.

Edited by KanePT

Kane, all I see is people posting why they love wurm and you coming in here and picking apart their reasons and complaining.

If you don't have anything positive to contribute, could you sit quiet and let those who do say what they want.

Personally, I love watching things grow, skills, deeds, landscapes, the way things don't seem to change day to day, but looking back over a month you realise how much everything has grown

Kane, all I see is people posting why they love wurm and you coming in here and picking apart their reasons and complaining.

If you don't have anything positive to contribute, could you sit quiet and let those who do say what they want.

Personally, I love watching things grow, skills, deeds, landscapes, the way things don't seem to change day to day, but looking back over a month you realise how much everything has grown

You do understand that this was meant as a troll thread from theowl right? Like all his other ones?

Mods can't mod for real trolls, but be a bit more harsh on criticizing Wurm and BAM, there they are. Its a discussion forum, last i heard not a list your whatnot.

Truth is if that guy loves Wurm only for the survival aspect he won't be playing wurm for long, and as i see it what we need to hear are the reasons why people love wurm and play it for a long time, so that devs can focus on improving those aspects and lessening the ones that people don't like. EXCUSE ME for trying to make the best out of a troll thread.