Sign in to follow this  
loenabelle

Books and letters

Books:

It would be nice if there were books in wurm. A book should either have it's own AI when opened or be managed by chat commands. A new AI would be the best. You can write in books. When done you can give it a title and sign it. When managed by chat you can read it by examining, if by own AI just right click the book and click read.

A book could be made by making paper out of wood scraps and leather. You need 3 items. A needle, 1 x leather, 5 x paper.

First you use your carving knife on the wood scraps to make wood pulp. This will turn the wood scraps into soaked wood pulp. Then you make a page mold out of a log (with a saw or carving knife). Select the soaked wood pulp and put it in the page mold. This will create paper.  Repeat 5 times. Make some leather. Use the needle on the pages. This will make an unfinished book. Add the leather to the unfinished book. Your book is finished.

There could also be bookcases that can hold up to 15 books. These should be attached to walls.

Books would be nice because you would be able to make a guide or write a story. It would make the game at least a little more fun ;).

Any suggestions?

I also found two other threads about books: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/72939-books/ and http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/17199-books-and-their-properties/

Edited by loenabelle
  • Like 5

+1

We have papyrus, maybe 50 sheets + leather for binding.  I too would like to see this added, as well as bookcases.

I realize it's not a widely used system, i can just use notepad... but man for the roleplayability.. the lore.. having ingame libraries... it'd be awesome.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 2

Hell, we have magic in game. Lets talk about buff systems. They open up *huge* ranges of potential products that could make unused skills useful for something.

It could make systems like this have a mechanical purpose as well as a roleplay one.

+1

We have papyrus, maybe 50 sheets + leather for binding.  I too would like to see this added, as well as bookcases.

I realize it's not a widely used system, i can just use notepad... but man for the roleplayability.. the lore.. having ingame libraries... it'd be awesome.

I was also aiming for some nice roleplaying and huge libraries. :lol: Thnx for the comment.

Could lag servers with data

there could be a limitation on pages in each book so there won't be too much and i'm not sure if text is hard to store (might be I just really don't know).

Love the idea of a library :)

Might need a writing desk.

Far as lagging servers... know how putting things inside a bsb or fsb is actually good for the server rather than having all the loose items lying around?

This could be similar.  We can already make 50 sheets of papyrus.  The book would simply be like a bsb for papyrus.  Or something.

• Like 2

Love the idea of a library :)

Might need a writing desk.

Far as lagging servers... know how putting things inside a bsb or fsb is actually good for the server rather than having all the loose items lying around?

This could be similar.  We can already make 50 sheets of papyrus.  The book would simply be like a bsb for papyrus.  Or something.

That's true. Although I think Theowl meant that the servers are going to lag because of all the text written in the books that needs to be stored. Text might not be that much to store but with a lot of players writing books it might be a problem. Just hope it is not :P.

it would be nice for mayors and town leaders to make rule books - and merchants to make trade lists of prices and services they could pass around

or simply tips and tricks in a library players could read in game instead of alt tabing for wurmpedia - keep the players in game longer

I would love to see papyrus making have some use. And being able to write stories and rulebooks would be neat. As long as they decayed quickly on the ground... like the papyrus paper. +1

I am all about books! And also, since new furniture is being created, how about adding bookcases? They would store books and books only.

+1

+1

There's this girl I'm totally crushing on.  I would love to write her my Proximo's Book of Love and mail it to her.  Know what I'm saying  :)

• Like 1

+1

Having a library of kingdom or deed history... It'd be an awesome find when I'm exploring the ruins of wurm.

+1

There's this girl I'm totally crushing on.  I would love to write her my Proximo's Book of Love and mail it to her.  Know what I'm saying  :)

That's so cute XD (in a nerdy way but still adorable). Good luck with her.

• Like 1

That's so cute XD (in a nerdy way but still adorable). Good luck with her.

There could always be one in your future.  Hey, I have lots of love to give  ;)

Having a library of kingdom or deed history... It'd be an awesome find when I'm exploring the ruins of wurm.

Server and village history could become books placed at the village token :)

There could always be one in your future.  Hey, I have lots of love to give  ;)

I'm a girl XD But I guess I will find a nice guy then (like the guy from the archery club :P ).

Server and village history could become books placed at the village token :)

Also a nice suggestion but won't the books be stolen if we place them there or should they be locked to the token?

I'm a girl XD But I guess I will find a nice guy then (like the guy from the archery club  :P ).

Oh I see the confusion, no by "one" meaning a book from me to you.  Not a girl :)

It was a slick way of flirting with you that apparently backfired on my face lol.

Oh I see the confusion, no by "one" meaning a book from me to you.  Not a girl :)

It was a slick way of flirting with you that apparently backfired on my face lol.

Ok, thnx i guess :lol: . Back to the topic! Book are awesome wooohooo books XD.

+1. I want a library. I will fill my tower with books.... And wouldn't it be fun if we had like, tradeout book stations, where you could pick up  books written by other players?

+1. I want a library. I will fill my tower with books.... And wouldn't it be fun if we had like, tradeout book stations, where you could pick up  books written by other players?

Jup that would be nice. In chaos there would be bookfights XD. I don't even know for what reason (written treasuremap?) and everyone will slap eachother for a piece of paper. MWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!

Wow, there could be so many uses for books. Some already listed in this thread. I really hope this gets implemented one day.

• Like 1