Sign in to follow this  
Zcul

keeping livestock alive over summer holiday

Hi,

What are you best tips and tricks so I can keep my cows, chickens, horses alive over a summer break of 14 days without internet?

/Andreas

I guess a bigger enclosure that would take them a while to eat through would work. Perhaps drop seeds on the ground as well. And...enchanted grass :D

I'll leave it to the experienced people, haha. My animals tend to die from starvation in my house. :)

Hi,

it's easy: Have an ally and/or friends and/or neighbors, that come once every few days and feed them ...

Guess it's all that can be done for 14 days.

Have fun!

Enchanted grass or normal grass.  Crops will die long before you get back.  At least with normal grass there is a chance it will spread to packed tiles.

kill them, cook the meat, store in fsb, simple!

• Like 5

The best and most likely to keep them alive, is to get an ally to look after them while you are gone.

IF that is not an option, then you need to think about how to prevent disease and keep them fed:

Horses: Max 2 per pen on enchanted grass and at least 2 tiles per horse.

Cows: Max 2 per pen on enchanted grass, but need a bigger pen due to the crazy packing these days.

Chickens: You are basically screwed, but the best option is a 1x1 pen with 100 grains - as high ql as possible (will last for 10 days in theory, but will start decaying after 2). What you hope for here is that the chicken is female, eats and lays enough eggs to hatch another chicken when you get back.

Edit: If no access to enchanted grass, then a 3x3 with a tree in the middle is good for having grass spread back to packed tiles.

Edit2: Another option with the chicken is a bigger pen with 100 mixed grass on each tile - in my experience they decay WAY slower than anything else that you could have laying around. It needs 20 mixed grass pr day to survive, if grown up to a hen, it will not lay eggs on this diet, and in pens bigger than 1x1 you just have to hope it will walk to a tile with food often enough to not die. Chickens, hens and roosters aren't that smart, but a chicken in a 4 tile pen with 400 mixed grass in it, I would give a survival chance of 80% after 2 weeks.

Edited by Lithien

give your neighbor 50c to take care of them

for chickens large area with alot of high ql seeds on each tile :D   

others enchanted grass tiles... animals with saddles or hinched on carts :D  piles of mixed grass on tiles also good :D

Hi,

it's easy: Have an ally and/or friends and/or neighbors, that come once every few days and feed them ...

Guess it's all that can be done for 14 days.

Have fun!

pay a local some silver to babysit them.

give your neighbor 50c to take care of them

This.

And one of the good things of having friends, is that they take care of your animals for free.

if i think again... i lost one time deed becose of "friend"  i get stolen few times becose of "friends"  so i found out wurm have no friends u can trust em...  everyone too greedy :D  if something can be done alone lets do it... 

if i think again... i lost one time deed becose of "friend"  i get stolen few times becose of "friends"  so i found out wurm have no friends u can trust em...  everyone too greedy :D  if something can be done alone lets do it... 

Forgot to mention that you have to find good friends, also I'm talking about Epic.

2x1 pens with enchanted grass should keep them kicking for a month. But that can be pricy to set up quickly if you don't already have it.

Get a laptop

Notice how the OP said without internet, not without a computer?

Yeah...

Just slaughter all beast before taking a break they will not survive anyway, and knowing you have no cattle from the beginning leads to not having to worry about, and will contribute to your mental peace during your vacations.

Abandon all hope.

Btw, cook the met and drop it in fsb, put all other products in bsb, then you can say the cattle will be there wen you come back.

Somewhat...

• Like 2

Just slaughter all beast before taking a break they will not survive anyway, and knowing you have no cattle from the beginning leads to not having to worry about, and will contribute to your mental peace during your vacations.

Abandon all hope.

Btw, cook the met and drop it in fsb, put all other products in bsb, then you can say the cattle will be there wen you come back.

Somewhat...

This is probably the logical way to do it, but some people form attachments to their little pixel animals.

:P

I only started slaughtering the farm when the mayor went on vacation and his two cronies attacked me and stole my stuff. :)

They know who they are.

Hi,

What are you best tips and tricks so I can keep my cows, chickens, horses alive over a summer break of 14 days without internet?

/Andreas

Fix the animal behaviour, then just keep them in 2x1 pens with enchanted grass, make sure they're cared for.

That will keep the horses alive, and the cows. Chicken eat too much so unless you code a "feeder" item that allows to store food and slowly trickle it so animals can eat from it, you're screwed in that department. Welcome to my life every time i take a break from the grind. Half my stock goes to the cows, since its kinda hard to "care for" all your stock.

Fix the animal behaviour, then just keep them in 2x1 pens with enchanted grass, make sure they're cared for.

That will keep the horses alive, and the cows. Chicken eat too much so unless you code a "feeder" item that allows to store food and slowly trickle it so animals can eat from it, you're screwed in that department. Welcome to my life every time i take a break from the grind. Half my stock goes to the cows, since its kinda hard to "care for" all your stock.

Welcome to the problems of hoarding animals for profitssssssssssss(X3 reference).

@ post below -- yeah don't get me started, I was apart of a certain village that did a certain something and we suddenly acquired a lot of animals, so I know all about grooming and AH.

Edited by Seikitai

Not really for profit. I've sold 2 horses, which sucked, but Rocky really wanted to start AH, actually he's the one selling horses now, that's how much i'm into selling stuff. I kept "lots", about 20-30 animals total was my max, so i could have a decent way to gain Animal Husbandry, since it has poor ticks, and a long cooldown.

So basically the only way to grind AH steadily is to have enough animals that you use up the cooldown time grooming them, so you can just start over when you've done the first wave.

Zcul asking for ranching tips?

I smell a trap... -.-

• Like 1

Zcul asking for ranching tips?

I smell a trap... -.-

That is why I am not taking this thread seriously. :P

I know the OP said without internet, but if you're going to be near cities or towns at any point on your vacation, you can always grab free wireless internet on your laptop from outside a hotel or cafe.  I went away to a relatives house for two weeks and managed to keep my animals alive that way.  (Also took a desktop to plug in to their cable when I got there 'cause I hate playing on laptops.)   I don't know if huge stacks of corn for the pigs and chickens would work since the AI is borked right now, and of course there is the bison packing problem even with enchanted grass.  Prolly, best bet, ask a neighbor to help and supply the feed.

Edited by Twilite

Have the team revert every AI change you guys have made since April 1st and your animals might stand a chance. If you can't make that happen, then do what people are suggesting: have someone babysit them.

Kinda sad that the devs have made it so that people can't take a 2 week vacation without reasonably worrying, eh?

• Like 1