Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Various travel related suggestions to make it easier/faster.

Just to be clear, I am serious and think these would be cool. I'm purposely not going into lots of detail. I think details are a waste of time because Developers always put their own "details-twist" on things anyway.

The cloud express (a flying train)

We players would build special types of floating "roads". Once complete we'd use them with a special vehicle to afk-auto travel on a path we plot.

Since bridges are going to let us walk underneath them it should be possible to put structures up in the air that don't impede ground travel.

A Wormhole (a twist on a portal)

The basic idea here is a network of nodes that server as origin and destination. There wouldn't be a actual roads between each node. Each node would be associated with a deed after players build one. A deed would have the permissions to control who can use it as origin or destination. Travel time would not be instant.

Plot a sailing coarse.

A way to afk sail from point a to point b afk.

Plot a cart/wagon travel coase.

A way to afk drive a network of roads plotted by the player.

Oh yea, ... flame on realistic hardship members.

coming from a Pure Fantasy lover.....

Most of them wouldn't work coding wise, until we have MANY other things in place. IE: hardcoded highways.

and a flying train/islands/wtv else in wurm.......doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  :wacko:

• Like 1

well that would be a nightmare to implement an animal that can fly that you can mount and ride would be much more in tune with wurm

Have you played wurm?  And where do you think these suggestions even fit into the theme of Wurm?

As much as I hate to travel, especially over long distances in wurm.   Its what makes it so wurmy. -1

Given fast travel, you quickly realize wurm isn't really that huge. What makes it feel large is the physical effect of crossing the world the slow way.

I prefer the effects/influences of travel as is in game.

Edit: Also terribly dissapointed you didn't take the opportunity for the Wurmhole pun. -50 points to gryffindor.

Edited by Sevenless
  • Like 3

Plot a sailing coarse.

A way to afk sail from point a to point b afk.

Plot a cart/wagon travel coase.

A way to afk drive a network of roads plotted by the player.

Oh yea, ... flame on realistic hardship members.

I am all for faster travel options within Wurm. The 2 you mentioned that I agree with are quoted above.

What I would really like to see made available are player built Portals that function on the same basis that the Epic Portals do. That they should be available for only use to and from those servers is a bias of favoritism in the extreme. All servers should have this ability enabled.

=Ayes=

I think the plotable courses wouldn't be too off, but then there's the "hate" that devs and staff have on what that is, macros.

The Wurmholes (you really should have taken that one) aren't such a bad idea though, i mean we already have epic portals, why not a set of portals allowing you travel between allied deeds for instance (strickly PvE though, i'm guessing that PvP players would cry out about not being able to attack undefended deeds).

while I think there should be additional ways around wurm since it makes people sit in one area and never leave - like a town to start city portal that only members of a town can use and like epic portals it sends you to the last one used so you could not send a player to town unless hes already been there (stopping people from reinforcing a town rapidly through changing towns or using towns to move back and forth across a map as a super highway)

however the ideas you posted I think would either just not work with current programming or just doesn't fit in wurm

The social and trade aspects of the game are really hurt because the Devs seem to have an aversion to implementing Portals on the PvE servers. I remember gathering at the banks in early Ultima Online years to sell mounts, houses and other goods, all enabled by their Runebook system for travel to all points within their servers. Then there is WoW with their towns always a hub of activity because of flight paths to them.

These types of systems are popular with the players and within Wurm they could be put to good effect for these uses. Friends would be able to visit their other friends deeds easily, social gatherings could be easy to attend for all who desired, on and on the benefits would go. The Wurm concept of isolationism due to refusal to provide a quick means of travel hampers a lot of interaction and trade within the game. A very poor travel system that takes away time from other more desirable pursuits.

=Ayes=

• Like 1