Sign in to follow this  
Andobi

Erosion

Perhaps this has been suggested before. What I would propose is that all undeeded land will slowly revert to the base state (perhaps with the exclusion of an area around undeeded houses).

The base state would be the state of the land (height of rock, height of dirt above it) as it was when the server was launched. The rate of erosion should be low, perhaps one dirt per tile per week/month, to allow people to prevent erosion if they wish.

The purpose of this would be to allow long-abandoned areas that have been severely terraformed to slowly erode back to their original unaltered state. Clearly in some cases this would take many months if not years. 

I imagine it will be likely that some people will object to this, and certainly there are areas such as canals in which this might cause some frustration. One solution to canals would be to only change the dirt height and not the rock height, since a bit of dirt in a canal would be relatively easy to fix, while increases in the rock height below would be more difficult. But with a low rate of erosion, even that would be fairly manageable.

Of course deeded land (and possibly perimeter) should be protected from erosion.

The concept of erosion presented here will probably need refinement before making it into the live servers but it is something that I feel is worth suggesting and discussing if it has not come up before. The idea of it will rely on the dev team having a save/backup of the server as it was at launch for comparison, so if this does not exist then the form of erosion would have to be drastically altered.

Cheers for reading!

• Like 1

-1 this idea has beaten to death and I am surprised it still pops up again and again -.-

I don't mind the idea but sounds like a lot of work.

Edited by Lexi

+1

Erosion would revitalize old servers and create a much more welcoming environment to new players.

I'd support erosion of 40+ slope dirt/sand terraformed land. I don't like the idea of the server's land returning to elevations equal to its birth. I"m not sure why I think this is good for Xsyon but wouldn't be good for Wurm, eh.

there's still off-deed stuff that would suck to keep maintaining because of this, and I never quite understood why some people have the opinion that the area they settle in has to look like it was never touched in the first place - I get it if there's an old mine in the way or something, but for the rest just terraform, you need to do it anyways?

And as Rasu said, this keeps popping up, sure Rolf knows of the idea and I don't think a lot of people would like to have extra unproductive maintainance to do just so a few areas can decay over a loooooooong time, it's not worth it.

Big -1, this would be game breaking for a good portion of PVE servers.

Not going to even explain this one: just think of everything off deed currently, say good-bye.

Edited by Kamill

Erosion within Wurm that would revert player shaped areas is just a lazy persons option of reverting land areas that they don't like the look of. There is already a solution in game that exists to eliminate any need for erosion types of coding. That being, that if a player does not like the look of the environment surrounding them, they are perfectly free to transform it into something more to their liking. Actually, this is what much of the game is all about and provides more satisfaction once the effort is put forth to do something to resolve the situation.

=Ayes=

only problem is allot of time and effort goes into changing the designs would be destroyed - like deep canals and such - would cause allot of chaos more then help