Sign in to follow this  
Heboric

So what happened to the name change option?

Or was that only for the guy that everyone knew would never stick around in the first place?

• Like 1

-1 name changes

-1 bringing this up again >_<

The threads were closed iirc and left in the past

• Like 7

+1 to name change

+1 to issues being adressed

-1 to censorship and forgetting the errors of the past.

• Like 15

When the poll went around before a lot of people were in favour as long as there was a mechanism to track the name change history and put in some limit to how frequently you can change it.

If that was the terms of the new feature, I would certainly support it

• Like 3

Tbh - i didn't agree with the idea to start with -  and said so.

But I hate censorship even more.

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Retrograde, May 9, 2014 - Discussing staff/moderation actions
Hidden by Retrograde, May 9, 2014 - Discussing staff/moderation actions

Oh...and just for clarity...

When I was booted as a CA for having an opinion and stating a truth....I was assured that as a normal player it would be OK.

Just sayin....

Edited by Heboric

they did a poll and the majority said no because it would hurt the metagame of knowing who had what skills in PvP i guess. After all you don't want go up against someone you know can kill you or that you don't know where they are from when they are in local. 

Edited by Kegan

Since when did a majority actually matter here?

No one actually agreed with Bashur getting the change - but it didn't stop it.

So again.

Are we going to get a level playing field...or not?

Registering who owned what when in places you can see would work fine....people can hide just as well behind an old name as a new one.

Edited by Heboric
  • Like 1

they did a poll and the majority said no because it would hurt the meta game of knowing who had what skills in PvP i guess. After all you don't want go up against someone you know can kill you or that you don't know where they are from when they are in local. 

Metagaming is frowned upon in every game that relies on inmersion.   Why would it be used as a reason to hold back a change, and to right an injustice, is beyond me.

• Like 1

name changes are only available if you have a bajillion youtube subscribers

• Like 4

Metagaming is frowned upon in every game that relies on inmersion.   Why would it be used as a reason to hold back a change, and to right an injustice, is beyond me.

One could argue wurm pvp is ALL metagame. Still great fun.

One could argue wurm pvp is ALL metagame. Still great fun.

That could possibly be the reason I see about 15 people on a server.......or am completely alone?

They're all meta-gaming on the forum?

• Like 1

I thoroughly enjoyed Bashur's video of him getting ganked as soon as he logged on, and the staff/code club/Rolf (whomever) deserves all the negativity that came with breaking their own rules for some spoiled youtuber.

• Like 5

they did a poll and the majority said no because it would hurt the metagame of knowing who had what skills in PvP i guess. After all you don't want go up against someone you know can kill you or that you don't know where they are from when they are in local. 

Right, but as I said above, the majority would support the option IF you could track the name change somehow and restrict the ability to change the name to once a year or something. As an example, If someone like Nadroj changed his name to "Fred", everyone could see that and he wouldn't be able to change it again for another year. It really isn't rocket science to get a workable solution.

• Like 1

What happened to the name change option? There was a poll on it to see what people think about it, and it was concluded that it was mot enough support to add the functionality in the game.

Why not just make a suggestions thread if you feel like it should still be implemented? Right now it feels more like you're trying to bring up drama from over half a year ago.

• Like 9

Right, but as I said above, the majority would support the option IF you could track the name change somehow and restrict the ability to change the name to once a year or something. As an example, If someone like Nadroj changed his name to "Fred", everyone could see that and he wouldn't be able to change it again for another year. It really isn't rocket science to get a workable solution.

Agreed.

At least then people who buy an account would get that option. And let's be honest here - there are LOTS of bought accounts :)

But with such a registry...everyone else would also know who is who.

What happened to the name change option? There was a poll on it to see what people think about it, and it was concluded that it was mot enough support to add the functionality in the game.

Why not just make a suggestions thread if you feel like it should still be implemented? Right now it feels more like you're trying to bring up drama from over half a year ago.

A typical response to be honest. This simply isn't true. For the third time of stating, most people supported it with conditions.

If you are only ever going to implement a feature without fine-tuning it from the original suggestion, you wouldn't get much of a game

A typical response to be honest. This simply isn't true. For the third time of stating, most people supported it with conditions.

If you are only ever going to implement a feature without fine-tuning it from the original suggestion, you wouldn't get much of a game

Actually it's completely true, because it was the result of the poll. If you feel like the result would have been different if the poll had different results, that's fine. Maybe you can make a new poll with the proper options instead.

• Like 2

Nope.

There was a poll...yes. As far as I can recall the majority didn't like the done deal - but that was already done....so wanted at least the registered name history aspect.

You actually got a different proof?

And seriously.

There are LOADS of majority polls that never get acted on.

That's mostly why so many get upset as far as I can see.

Let's not do the "butter in the mouth" thing..please.

Nope.

There was a poll...yes. As far as I can recall the majority didn't like the done deal - but that was already done....so wanted at least the registered name history aspect.

You actually got a different proof?

And seriously.

There are LOADS of majority polls that never get acted on.

That's mostly why so many get upset as far as I can see.

Let's not do the "butter in the mouth" thing..please.

Well, you should probably read about why they never get acted on. Rolf stated over and over that just a majority isn't enough. For players to make a demand against all balance and game development logic, it needs to have overwhelming support. Rolf literally said at one time something like 75%+ at the very minimum.

I must admit I found the 'bashurgate' debate very funny.

Edited by Rasputin
  • Like 1

+1 to name change

+1 to issues being adressed

-1 to censorship and forgetting the errors of the past.

This.

And if we had a proper social interface, won't be too hard to add a "name change history" function, which will erase every problem the change name option would have.

But of course if waaay more easy(and needs waaay less imagination) to shot it down rather than fix things to make it work.

Also, next time I see you Heb, I'm going to hug you.

• Like 1

Well the first time around  he did bring in lots of new players and that is what Rolf was thinking it would do the second time too when he requested a name change for a YouTube series. I can completely understand why he did it. The real person that made out the most on that deal was the player that sold him that account for 800e or whatever crazy number it was, lol

Edited by Kegan

Well, you should probably read about why they never get acted on. Rolf stated over and over that just a majority isn't enough. For players to make a demand against all balance and game development logic, it needs to have overwhelming support. Rolf literally said at one time something like 75%+ at the very minimum.

C`mon Judi...wtf do you think the complaints about Valrei/Elevation pvp/animal caps on pvp servers/resets/map sizes/homeservers etc  have all been about?

The real point is simple.

Speaking for myself...I won't engage in a real/honest conversation until I'm sure the people I'm talking to are doing the same.

So telling me..."but there was a poll" ...when I have seen so many completely ignored...doesn't cut it.

Edited by Heboric
  • Like 2