Sign in to follow this  
atazs

Xanadu landrush? More like Xanadu cashgrab

No one can deed anything with mobs alive on it.......so no huge deeds in the first week.

That's not true. You can easily settle a tiny size 5 deed, luring the animals away a bit if you have to, hire a guard and let the guard kill the surrounding mobs, then expand your deed. You can even do it in several steps, slowly expanding, as it costs the same as buying it all at once. I bet it can be done in a few hours if you have a specific location in mind.

Edited by Judicator
  • Like 1

From what I can tell most of the this seems to be

• people with RL money but no in game money complaining that people might use in game money

people with in game money but no RL money complaining that they might have to use RL money

people with RL money and/or in game money complaining that they might need to spend it at all

people who have no money of any sort complaining about those that do

people with the patience of a hamster complaining they might have to wait a week

people complaining about people complaining (I'm hanging out with these folks having a beer I stole from Emoo)

I suspect I missed a group, my apologies, but your particular hang up is in the margins and not worth noting.

You missed:

People who dont care trolling people who do care

People who do care complainin about people who dont care

People who dont have a dragon complaining that those people who do will take the dragons (if any) on Xanaduff

People who do have a dragon complaining that other people will get a dragon and so reduce the exploit value of their own dragon

No one can deed anything with mobs alive on it.......so no huge deeds in the first week.

This is not true at all there are ways around it keep in mind that we will have newbie buffs with low aggro so all you need to do is get a second alt to run them out of the area. Then hire a guard to kill off them off resize repeat till you have what you want. 

edit: I guess Judicator beat me to it but yea there are ways around that, lol

Edited by Kegan

Yeah, I officially have no reason to continue playing Wurm now.

You should put it in your signature, instead of saying it in every thread you participate.

• Like 3

It is true that a number of the objections posted to the opening of the Pristine server are similarly reflected within these Xanadu posts as well; however, the major difference is that Xanadu will be connected to the rest of the Freedom Isles servers (possibly not P&R) after one week.

This changes the whole concept of the server as being open to all the player base to settle upon. Alts made by current players will then be much more useful in placing deeds to be then taken over and developed by main characters soon thereafter. These same alts can be used for extensive exploration of Xanadu with their helpful newbie benefits and *tent* benefits, to scout out more remote locations to be settled upon later by main characters as well, if that is their preference.

Fortunately for the benefit of all players Xanadu will be open for everyone to settle upon and not set up upon the exclusionary basis that P&R have been. No worries there.

=Ayes=

And like P&R were supposed to be connected "after a few months, but could take up to 2 years".  Looking at what people are saying in this thread alone, do you really think the comments about "at least the first week or two" will stop people from pushing to keep them separated?

I just find it funny that the vocal P&R separatists are now using some of the same arguments the "old cluster vets" used when P&R were the center point of the discussion. 

lol you know I can just start a noob buy $100 worth of silver at the store and have at it. So what's your point.

That's fine and dandy, I have no problem with that. What I'm saying though is that if people are able to smuggle silver over to Xanadu they'll be using silver they earned in game instead of silver they bought in the shop. So they'll still get to benefit from Xanadu, but those of us who have been paying real money for silver will not be able to bring our skilled toons over to Xanadu for a week or more because of the people who are not paying money, even though those people will still probably be able to smuggle their money over to buy up the prime locations first.

And like P&R were supposed to be connected "after a few months, but could take up to 2 years".  Looking at what people are saying in this thread alone, do you really think the comments about "at least the first week or two" will stop people from pushing to keep them separated?

I just find it funny that the vocal P&R separatists are now using some of the same arguments the "old cluster vets" used when P&R were the center point of the discussion. 

The Devs have already stated that Xanadu will be opened for all players to sail to from the Freedom Isles connected servers after one week (no two in there); therefore, I put my faith in their direct statement rather than others speculations, desires, fabrications or diversions to points not stated. This is a totally different statement than the open ended one made concerning P&R, so I don't see any valid connection to be made between these two approaches. 

In light of this Dev statement, people that might push for Xanadu to remain a separate server cause me no concern. Although I realize that there are some players who will refuse to believe this direct plainly worded statement, I consider that to be their problem and not mine; therefore, I won't indulge in any of their obtuse tangents to the contrary.

I agree that certain observations can be gleaned from others responses in connection with this point. I find that it is always good to get more insight into peoples character and thought processes in this way, for then one knows who will listen to reason from their own point of view and who will not. Then beating my head against the brick wall of unreason can be more easily avoided, which in turn can lead to more clarity of thought undisturbed by futile endeavors.

Safe Travels

=Ayes=

• Like 1

The Dev team stated they are planning to run a marketing campaign in connection with the release so personally I will be sitting out the first week.

The server is so big I doubt I would have any problem finding a site that suits my needs. As far as players running money thru Epic if they can who cares.

They are going to show up with that money either day one or a week later. Imo it does not matter.

The Devs have already stated that Xanadu will be opened for all players to sail to from the Freedom Isles connected servers after one week (no two in there); therefore, I put my faith in their direct statement rather than others speculations, desires, fabrications or diversions to points not stated. This is a totally different statement than the open ended one made concerning P&R, so I don't see any valid connection to be made between these two approaches. 

In light of this Dev statement, people that might push for Xanadu to remain a separate server cause me no concern. Although I realize that there are some players who will refuse to believe this direct plainly worded statement, I consider that to be their problem and not mine; therefore, I won't indulge in any of their obtuse tangents to the contrary.

I agree that certain observations can be gleaned from others responses in connection with this point. I find that it is always good to get more insight into peoples character and thought processes in this way, for then one knows who will listen to reason from their own point of view and who will not. Then beating my head against the brick wall of unreason can be more easily avoided, which in turn can lead to more clarity of thought undisturbed by futile endeavors.

Safe Travels

=Ayes=

All we've been given so far is what the initial plan is, so again I'll just leave at, lets see what the official "campaign" statement is.

Safe Travels

=Ayes=

You are right - they didn't say a week or two. But they didn't say 1 week either. Some people see what they fear, and some people see what they want to see. Officially, what was said :

When it comes to connecting the old servers we will wait at least a week after initial release.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/100528-news-update-work-and-progress-week-17/

At least a week" is too open ended for me , I will wait until it is connected then make the trip over. 

You are right - they didn't say a week or two. But they didn't say 1 week either. Some people see what they fear, and some people see what they want to see. Officially, what was said :

When it comes to connecting the old servers we will wait at least a week after initial release.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/100528-news-update-work-and-progress-week-17/

Which was my original point, the same basic statement was made when Pristine was announced (before Release was part of the discussion).  It would be left on its own for at least X time and not expected to be left separate indefinitely.  Some of the players who did take the plunge and started over, also started efforts to keep it that way as long as possible.

So far, this thread (and others like it) are simply repeating what has already happened.  Replace Pristine, or later P&R, for Xanadu in those previous posts/threads and you'll see very quickly where it is already going.

I'm hoping that after "at least a week", they hold a poll for only the xanadu residents. And if the poll isn't conclusive, they keep it separate indefinately, or untill a poll between xanandu residents asks for a merger.

Edited by Judicator
  • Like 1

I'm hoping that after "at least a week", they hold a poll for only the xanadu residents. And if the poll isn't conclusive, they keep it separate indefinately, or untill a poll between xanandu residents asks for a merger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnAyr0kWRGE?t=2m4s

Edited by Hussars

I guess I am confused...

Why does this matter?

Yeah obviously the devs are wrong in mistreating their current playerbase.

But the players are obviously wrong for trying to metagame. Not sure why we need to try to play frontier landgrab all the time. Seems to me if you like resettling in a new place all the time you should just play on wild server and make people angry so they siege your town...repeat.

Everyone is wrong.

Lets just have fun instead of complaining.

Edited by mrbator

I guess I am confused...

Why does this matter?

Yeah obviously the devs are wrong in mistreating their current playerbase.

But the players are obviously wrong for trying to metagame. Not sure why we need to try to play frontier landgrab all the time. Seems to me if you like resettling in a new place all the time you should just play on wild server and make people angry so they siege your town...repeat.

Everyone is wrong. Yay, who cares, lets cry more.

As you can see with Hussar, some people are extremly vocal and determined to ruin the experience for new players. The devs are doing what they can to protect them, but people find a way to "grief" anyway.

Oh please no, not the same thing we are going through with Pristine and Release.  I want to see a new island, and I do not want to start a new char to do so.  I also see no reason to make me wait, since I've been playing for a long time.  What, for new players that may or may not stay very long?  I'm pushing for the new server to be open on day one, just to prevent ever getting into this argument.

• Like 3

As you can see with Hussar, some people are extremly vocal and determined to ruin the experience for new players. The devs are doing what they can to protect them, but people find a way to "grief" anyway.

Can you go back to epic please? 

Some here believe Xanadu will be open to bring our old characters over after a week, or after a few weeks... because Rolf said he would.

Rolf said he would find a way to open access to Pristine and Release, but He never did find a way. Several of us created new characters there and planted deeds with the understanding Rolf was eventually going to allow us to bring our older characters over from the old servers. P&R ended up to be the exact same situation as what we see happening with Xanadu, for there has been no guarantees from Staff that Epic access will stay shut or that Traders will not be allowed, not anything said firmly as far as I saw so far.

Today we still do not have access to Pristine and Release for character created on the older Freedom Isles servers like Rolf we would... over a year ago.

What makes anyone think Rolf will actually open a path of some type to allow our older characters to move to Xanadu??

I don't believe for one second that Rolf will in fact open Xanadu for older character for a very. long. time.

Xanadu isn't for older characters anymore than what Pristine and Release were/are. I no longer believe Rolf had any intention of opening P&R anytime the first year and I also don't think Rolf will open Xanadu anytime soon either. These new servers are being created to generate revenue via new character creation, premium of these new characters, and the planting of deeds, while Rolf hopes we keep our older characters prem'd and deeded awaiting a server merger that may take years to actually happen.

I'm making plans accordingly.... based upon Rolf's own actions and history.

This is Rolf's game, he of course can do what he wants to, but first time shame on Rolf, second time shame on me, and there isn't going to be a second time. There's nothing wrong with making new servers, nothing wrong with seeking new customers... I just now realize this new content isn't for an old player with old character like me, it's for the new Players... I wish them good luck and all the best in their new land that Rolf has made for them. Rolf's just hoping some of us old farts will double dip some more and spend more money, but with me that ain't going to be happening. Make us old farts a new server that only we can go to and then Rolf will get my attention again.

(this isn't a rant, I'm not angry, just this time I see the "opportunity" for what it really is. I'm glad I'm not going to get sucked into it this time.)

Edited by Kyrmius

Can you go back to epic please? 

Everyone has an opinion, and while his last post appears as an attempt to get me to reply directly or to escalate the discussion, it does also provide a point.

Just like his post about leaving the new server separate until it voted on by the players on the server.  It was all said before, hence my link to the Pristine discussion, just swap the server of choice and "ditto" this thread.

As to "trying to ruin the new player experience", when he goes on record as to asking for "new player" servers to refuse all non-staff "veteran" players, money and items, or banning player to player account/coin sales, he can come preach to me about ruining player experiences.

All CodeCLub has to do is set up a filter that requires a user to actively try to bypass it and anyone caught gets banned.

It is rather easy for them to set up specific files, configuration flags, etc... to track users of the client.  Based on the flags/filters/files, you get routed to the appropriate server list.  Those bypassing it, get banned.

Now your "new player experience", "market", <insert topic choice related to new players here> is protected.

Otherwise, just join the servers from the start, and disallow any non "no drop items" from crossing over until whatever period of time has passed.

Edited by Hussars

blah blah something about xanadu blah blah dragons blah blah enclosures blah blah what wurm really needs blah blah.

On subject blah blah enough topics about this.

• Like 1

Everyone has an opinion, and while his last post appears as an attempt to get me to reply directly or to escalate the discussion, it does also provide a point.

Just like his post about leaving the new server separate until it voted on by the players on the server.  It was all said before, hence my link to the Pristine discussion, just swap the server of choice and "ditto" this thread.

As to "trying to ruin the new player experience", when he goes on record as to asking for fresh start servers to refuse all non-staff "veteran" players, money and items, or banning player to player account/coin sales, he can come preach to me about ruining player experiences.

All CodeCLub has to do is set up a filter that requires a user to actively try to bypass it and anyone caught gets banned.

It is rather easy for them to set up specific files, configuration flags, etc... to track users of the client.  Based on the flags/filters/files, you get routed to the appropriate server list.  Those bypassing it, get banned.

Now your "new player experience", "market", <insert topic choice related to new players here> is protected.

Otherwise, just join the servers from the start, and disallow any non "no drop items" from crossing over.

Wow, so you think people shouldn't be allowed to play on more than one server at the risk of being banned? I've never heard of such a suicidal bussiness plan in any game. The point of these fresh servers isn't to force people to only play one server, it's to keep the power between accounts on one server even. If you release new servers for fresh accounts regularly, the newer players keep getting chances to experience what it's like to settle and conquer new lands, without being bullied out by old players with 90's stats.

Edited by Judicator

Wow, so you think people shouldn't be allowed to play on more than one server at the risk of being banned? I've never heard of such a suicidal bussiness plan in any game. The point of these fresh servers isn't to force people to only play one server, it's to keep the power between accounts on one server even. If you release new servers for fresh accounts regularly, the newer players keep getting chances to experience what it's like to settle and conquer new lands, without being bullied out by old players with 90's stats.

No, they should be able to play on any server the company deems appropriate for them to have access to.

You want a server that protects "new players" it should only support new players until the company deems it to be ready for other players.  The same thing you are saying, with the caveat that "veteran" players do not have access to that server until the company makes the decision to allow them to.

Next round?

::edit insert::

Notice I said players, not accounts, hence the idea of filters/client tracking/etc...

As for opening the boarders, the company sets the policy, so if they want to allow a vote or just open the server to "veterans" at a set point, up to them.

Edited by Hussars

No, they should be able to play on any server the company deems appropriate to them.

You want a server that protects "new players" it should only support new players until the company deems it to be ready for other players.  The same thing you are saying, with the caveat that "veteran" players do not have access to that server until the company makes the decision to allow them to.

Next round?

Well then you came up with a very good non sollution to a non existing problem. I just explained there is a much easier, practical and realistic sollution: only allow new accounts. Bam, instant equality between new and old players, and no unfair benefits to veterans.

Well then you came up with a very good non sollution to a non existing problem. I just explained there is a much easier, practical and realistic sollution: only allow new accounts. Bam, instant equality between new and old players, and no unfair benefits to veterans.

::Points to P&R::

Yeah that worked well previously...

Anyway, now we're just arguing semantics, so I'm leaving it alone.

Enjoy all.