Sign in to follow this  
CageStorm

How to lower a mine entrance ?

My idea is to clear the 3 rock tiles below my mine entrance and try tunnel on the tile below the current mine entrance, does this work ? or will I get the "It's too hard to mine here" message. If I cant mine on the tile below my mine entrance can i close the mine entrance ( shaker orb ) then do the tunnel ? or will I get a new message telling me it's unsafe ? 

I find mining very confusing, atm I walk out my door up a 29 steep slope across a flat slope and into the mine that then descends steeply into the cave, what I'd like to do is do away with the 29 steep climb, the flat slops and the steep drop inside the cave so that my mine entrance is one tile lower than at present.

Thanks for any help.

Have to close mine, then surfacemine it lower.

Im quite sure you will be able to open it again, if not, you can try making 2nd entrance and mining it from inside out.

If possible, you could just make the 29slope road to 23slope.

Edited by silakka

You have to clear the surface down to rock on either side of the entrance, and along the bottom of the entrance in order to lower the bottom corners.  Think of it as surface mining, all tiles have to be clear in order to lower a corner.

You may as well keep trying to work on it from the outside, if you collapse the entrance a new entrance will also open as a slope going down, all entrances do.

It might help if we had screenshots of the area but if you want the entrance to not be a drop you need to use concrete and it takes 20 per side so you will need 40.  I would get a priest to seal up the tile before the old entrance and the old entrance and then make a new entrance on the 29 slope then use concrete to fill in the floor level before you mine on in to the old mine. 

Edited by Kegan

Ok if you want your entrance lower you will need to close the existing entrance and surface mine it lower, but you only need to make sure 1 lower corner is at the desired height, it will automatically lower both when you reopen the entrance. 

You can also make the entrance Level if you collapse it, mine both corners down on the outside 20 down if normal slope, or 30 if it was too steep inside, etc.  Then mine the entrance from the inside.  it will automatically connect to the lowered tiles and if you do  your count right, or do a bit of high res tunnel wall peeking, you can get a completely level entrance.  I have two of them, and love the look.

You avoid a ramp down, ramp up entrance this way.

Edited by Onyr