Sign in to follow this  
Carnaxus

Community project idea: Clean up the Freedom Market public mine

Freedom Market Public Mine clean up and repair  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should we even bother? (Note: Choose N/A answer on other question if you chose "No" here)

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Can you help? If so, please POST IN THE THREAD with the name of the character you will be using.

• Yes, I can help with the work and can provide materials.
    • Yes, I can help with the work.
    • Yes, I can provide materials.
    • Sorry, I'm too busy.
    • N/A, I didn't think this was a good idea.

So I was wandering around Independence the other day and I noticed that the public mine near Freedom Market is an absolute mess.  Within one tile of the entrance is a pit so steep your character actually never stops bouncing at the bottom; about two tiles past there is another deep trench.  That mine is probably the first mine most new players see on our server; do we really want something that messy to be their first experience on Indie?

Well, I don't.  Trooperau and Blahsonson both stopped by yesterday while I was exploring the full mine to see just how much damage there was, and they both thought it was worth some effort.  It is my hope that we can come together and perhaps use the new(ish) reinforced floors to prevent this kind of obvious griefing from happening again.

Some images of the entrance zone.

My character is named Kikriana; I will be devoting as much time as I can to this project.  I may be a new character (longtime player), but I can at least mine out walls as well as anyone else.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Edit:

Thank you Lolly for pointing out the dead obvious.  List of materials we will probably need:

Massive amounts of concrete
Lots of reinforcing beams
Potentially some priests to cast Strongwall where things are just too screwy for any amount of the previous two materials to be of any use

List of more-or-less-required professions:
Smiths
Carpenters
Masons
Alchemists (to make lye for concrete)
Miners by the hundreds

List (lol) of optional professions:
Chef
Medic
Warriors to stave off cave bugs and trolls from the troll mound near Freedom Market

Possible sub-project, since we'll have so many people in the right area:
Bash that freaking troll mound so it stops destroying new players before they can learn to love Wurm

Edit 2 because I am one seriously scatterbrained idiot:

Please state what time you are usually online so we can schedule a meeting to plan the repairs!

I am usually online between 9:00 AM and 2:00 AM the next morning, Pacific time (GMT -8); I can log in at other times if needed.

If I've forgotten anything else, please let me know!

Edit 3 (thank you again Atazs):

Project is now underway!  We have moved every last large chest, forge, and BSB to the entrance, removed all the statues (by wagon, yay!), and are already collapsing tiles deep in the mine.  We have collapsed the tunnel-to-China pit just to the left of the entrance for safety reasons (and because falling in was getting annoying), and are continuing to work on closing down the old parts of the mine that honestly should probably never have existed in the first place.

I probably forgot something again...Atazs?

Update 5-13-2014:

Raamkozijn has been hard at work collapsing tiles in the back of the mine.  We've replanted some lamps inside the mine to provide a small measure of safety against mob spawns, but the mine is still closed to most players (unless you really really need ore or FS).  We have been fortunate thus far in that no mobs have spawned inside the mine since we started out.  Once we have finished collapsing the current mine, we will need many miners to quickly open up the new public mine "structure," and then comes the reinforcing.

Update 5-16-2014:

Raam's at it again!  We're almost done closing the far reaches of the mine, and will soon begin the collapsing of the main cavern; once that's done, we'll, begin mining out the new tunnel mine.  I'll update this post again as soon as that happens, as we could use as many miners as are available.  We do have a plan for the mine, and if Raam approves, I'll post a link to it here.

Update 5-21-2014:

Collapsing is either finished or almost finished (I'm waiting on my client to finish updating)!  We're probably going to start doing the mining more or less right away, so all those of you who volunteered, now's your time!  Bring carts or wagons if you've got 'em, as we're going to try to remove the shards as we go.  No sense in cleaning up the mine only to leave massive rock shard piles behind!

Update 5-22-2014 12:00 AM Pacific time (GMT-8):

Hear ye, hear ye!

After 325 (+/-5) Strongwall casts with tremendous help of people providing saccing items, the time hath cometh to request thine help!

The planned tunnel to cover at least 1 of the vein types that were found in FM Public Mine (including the 1 copper vein) is as follows:

PRsIwtZ.png
The actual first tunnel tile inside is the "1", the black outline added to distinguish rock wall from rock floor better. The rienforced walls shown are already reinforced, mainly just shown as indicators.
This tunnel consists of 71 tiles, of which the first 4 (within Freedom Market deed) are already mined out.

Now this is the part where We Want You, to help us mine!

'Nuff said.

Update 5-22-2014 3:00 AM Pacific time (GMT-8):

...I...am...speechless.  We have completed the mining out of the new public mine.  All that's left to do now is reinforce the floors to prevent future griefing.  I...holy what.   :P

HUGE THANKS TO ALL THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE!

Archead - Sac items
Daldrin - Miner
Dartaranius - Miner
Delmar - Miner
Gumbo - Sac items

Halinor - Miner
Littlemouse - Miner
Raamkozijn - Sac items, casting, miner, planned the new mine
Seancarl - Miner

Tarkie - Sac items
Thaleia - Miner
Trooperau - Sac items, miner, built the temporary shed for the project
Udonne - Helped with early cleanup (some lamps in the old mine belonged to him), miner
Zorako - Sac items

If I missed anyone PLEASE let me know!

Edited by Carnaxus
  • Like 2

I think it's worth it :) ... I can help with the fix up and mats (if you let me know what they are) .. I do live on Cele however but am willing to sail up to lend a hand if this goes ahead. 

Edit - name of character = Lolly

Edited by Lolly1

What mats?  Yeah, ok, maybe I should put that in the main post.   :P

Edit:

Fix'd.  :)

Edited by Carnaxus

kik, I got some unused barrels of lye on hills. Poke me when ya online.

Edited by rosedragon

My advise for repairing a lot less trashed mines on my deed, don´t bother with concrete unless is a really minor fix, just gather a handful of mags and provide some  locks and altars then collapse & remine. Less pain faster and better results.

If you can turn it into a community event probably the priest will go just because they will have the chance to do some nice sermons.

• Like 2

Yeah, that place looks a mess.  I can move my Mag priest, INeedAFix, down for Strongwall casts & mining.

Edit:  Second everything KunAlt said.  

Edited by TimeGrinder

mmm ok. With the mag priests offering to help I'm going to hold off on making concrete. If everyone is thinking its a better idea to collapse and mine it out, I'm happy to do it that way.

I can do silver/gold altars to 50ql, would just need one of the priests to bless them. I can also provide door locks for saccing plus the supports and mining.

Blah had the idea to make and reinforce a tunnel straight to the ores (since we know where they are) and just to make a forge at each one. A section at the rear walls can be left for tunneling into the rock for shards if people think its needed.

mmm ok. With the mag priests offering to help I'm going to hold off on making concrete. If everyone is thinking its a better idea to collapse and mine it out, I'm happy to do it that way.

I can do silver/gold altars to 50ql, would just need one of the priests to bless them. I can also provide door locks for saccing plus the supports and mining.

Blah had the idea to make and reinforce a tunnel straight to the ores (since we know where they are) and just to make a forge at each one. A section at the rear walls can be left for tunneling into the rock for shards if people think its needed.

altar at any ql will do.

I think we could reinforce the floor and leave the walls for people to mine if they want to.

I most likely have spare iron ribbons and 60ql logs on hills, I will talk to jenks on it as I am on chaos :X .

Sounds interesting... I could come over to help, 90mining 44 natural substances and more

Tell me what is needed i have hundreds of logs and 200 ribbons here 

The pit on the left side of the entrance has been there for a year, maybe deeper now. Some of the pit in the middle has been there for a long time. The pits on the right side and the damaged entrance ramp are recent , was not there several weeks ago. Looks more like intentional griefing  than new player accidents. You had no trouble driving your cart in before.

I will be glad to help, lv59 miner, lv78 prospector and I can make/supply reinforcement beams.

Edited by zorako

Getting a good strong response, yay!  Now we just need to set up a good time when most if not all the volunteers can be there so we can look around and see what needs which kind of repair.

I'm usually on anywhere between 9:00 AM and 2:00 AM the next morning, Pacific time (GMT -8); I can probably do other times if needed.

Edit:

Oh, just remembered.  We've got a pretty good chef over at Cliffs; if people can provide some meat and/or fish, he can probably do meals.

Edited by Carnaxus

I concurr with Zorako, that damage by the entrance is recent and probably deliberate.

and also agree with what KunAlt said.  Nice idea.

Albia Marina would be happy to support the project logistically with mine supports and food

We have a 40+ cook and if a cook with higher skills drops by, can offer 60+ QL veggies for that cook to make top of the line meals.  Also can find a water tile and drop in a fountain so ppl don't get dehydrated. :)

..... but 1st.... let's get rid of that troll mound!  The resident scorpian colony is keeping Ternesjac's guard tower on the Ocean View Highway busy, as well as Stoneman's GT up on FM West Hwy, but that troll mound has to go now.   :angry:

Those trolls are killing off too many neubies before they have a chance to discover what a fantastic adventure wurm can be. :(

Food for thought!  Cheers! Hughmongus

o/ Hugh!  Meals and a fountain would be excellent, thanks!

A note about the entrance; Last time I checked...YESTERDAY...it was still climbable without climb mode.  If that's not possible anymore, it's most certainly recent.

Also...due to the sheer magnitude of work required, it'll probably wind up looking a lot worse before it's done being fixed.  Construction and repair projects tend to do that...

So when is this going to start? Moved an alt there to see what's happening and have seen nobody there at all today 

I'm trying to actually schedule a time when most if not all of the volunteers can be there so we can make a plan for the overall project.  I can't do that until I know when people tend to be online.

Um.  Maybe I should add that to the first post...herp.

plannign everyone to be online at same time is hard. Just need you to be online, and see which first can be done. Count all the tiles that need reinforced beams, how many need to be strongwalled, and go from there ;) 

The one problem with that in particular is that I'm honestly not experienced enough in Wurm mining to know exactly what to do where.  Blahjohnson said that strongwalling and re-mining most of the major pitfall areas would probably be easier than trying to concrete 'em back to level.

As for where to put the beams, my actual plan, ambitious though it may be, is to have the entire floor of the mine reinforced; that should prevent griefers and noob miners alike from digging pits.  Also, that would make it very easy to tell if damage was done by a noob miner or a griefer.

Blahjohnson said

It's Blahsonson! :ph34r:

I indeed think that collapsing the whole public mine and then mine out 1 or 2 tunnels to a few basic veins (one to an iron vein (or 2), and one to marble perhaps (as there are more marble walls in the mine; in case people used it as a marble source).

Pretty much the idea would be to repeat this project from about 1.5 years ago: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/69671-the-story-behind-project-repo-fm-public-mine/

Took about 400 casts back then, and with about 100 casts worth of saccing items and a bit of help provided by other people with moving some stuff (Thanks again, Cerber and Smejack!), it was doable within a month of spamming saccing items and casts by 1 person pretty much - albeit quite long days at times.

I think if going at it from a community approach, it should be quite doable to get it all done faster.

For what it's worth, an idea of tasks that could be helped with:

- Moving or destroying of all items, objects (chests, lamps, etc) and such.

- Laying out a plan before the collapsing, for mining aforementioned 1-2 tunnels to veins afterwards.

- Collapsing of tiles.

- Saccing items for the collapsing spam.

- Possibly counting of tiles? I think initially aiming for 200-300 casts will get the project quite far already though.

- Support beams to reinforce those initial 1-2 tunnel floors, if deemed necessary/useful (would help against the nonprem greifers at least, I think).

- Mining out tunnels afterwards

- Make/imp a forge or two to place near iron vein(s) for convenience as finishing touch

What I did with Project Repo 1.5 years ago was first destroy most lamps and move all other objects (lamps of low QL go down quickly and saves a lot of pushing/pulling, making new ones afterwards) to the entrance, start collapsing the tiles in the back and slowly moved to the front. When about halfway I laid out plans for a path to the nearest iron veins, and continued collapsing.

Once done collapsing, I mined out a tunnel, made+placed some lights, statues, pushed forges and large barrels back, and imped them a bit.

All the while I had both Raam and Blah work on saccing items for my Mag priest.

I'd pretty much go at it the same way this time again, but with the work divided over several people instead and with the ease of loading forges and some other things into wagons to move them rather than pushing/pulling as needed back then.

If this community project is something people really would like to see going on, I could help out by premming my Mag priest and spam some saccing items in between aswell.

I already had other (non-community) plans/projects in mind to work on, so paired with RL I probably won't have too much time to help fulltime, but I'm sure a few casts extra should help.

• Like 1

I'm happy to provide doorlocks of varying ql, as im skilling locksmithing.

I also have almost 60 ns, and am happy to provide concrete If it becomes required.

I also have 100 support beams lying on my deed from an older order that I'm happy to donate

I will require a statue in my honour though, of course

A statue of troll will suffice, right? I mean, with the resembling physique and all :P

It's Blahsonson! :ph34r:

Whatever!

I'm happy to provide doorlocks of varying ql, as im skilling locksmithing.

I also have almost 60 ns, and am happy to provide concrete If it becomes required.

I also have 100 support beams lying on my deed from an older order that I'm happy to donate

Support beams, yey!

Statue?...Umm.  Let me go find my stone chisel...

Edit:

Just read through your story about the original mine fix.  The part that made me laugh the most was the tl;dr at the end.  *Huuuuge relatively awesome story about Avatars and gods and etc* tl;dr Mine's fixed.

Edited by Carnaxus

So anything going to happen with this? 

Project is underway atazs, contact the OP for info

Indeed it is, we've already cleared out all the statues, chests, BSB's, and forges.  We've collapsed the tunnel-to-China pit to the left of the entrance, and made it possible to get a wagon properly inside the mine (which is how we got all the statues out).