Sign in to follow this  
waarokku

about exploitive nature and veteran advantage

youre changing rules on legal enclosure,legal highway,perimeter,some to save gm's effort and work. though thats their sole purpose and function. but also because things were used in ways unintended and seen as exploitaive. i really dont get the changing legal highway thing regardless of your explanations but whatever. you want to level the playing field,seeing vets as having unfair advantage over noobs. i refer to you liking the idea of capping things made offdeed to 20 ql among other things. other things like opening the xanadu server closed for a few weeks,to give people a chance to establish unimpeded. which people? i dont really buy any of your explanations for any of this. i think youre just toadying to your pvp buddys whining whims. maybe not. heres a chance to see how hollow your words are. i was on pristine and release when they opened. unfair advantage went to the guy with the most coin. it will be the same with xanadu. how do new folks and casual players not have a disadvantage against vets with loads of coin? i saw the pris/rel start areas get settled hard and quick by big deeds by vet's alts. making the very new/casual folks you say you value work harder to establish. vets could throw down deeds with large amounts of coin available when those same new/casual folks would have to buy it from your shop,and never have as much as those vets. and then having a harder time finding spots,and surviving while staking them. i dont care how big xanadu will be,vets with large amounts of coin will get preference. the start areas will get settled by them forcing "lessor" players to greater extremes. being able to trade coin via epic is surely an exploitive measure,unintended. and this matters to you,your words-or why start the server closed for a few weeks to give folks time to establish. making them roll new toons/alts to do so? it only favors the vets. for a true level playing field you should block trading coin to and from epic servers. you either meant what you said,or you just pick and choose what exploits weigh against you and your buddies. and which ones give advantage.

• Like 1

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Jberg, May 7, 2014 - trolling
Hidden by Jberg, May 7, 2014 - trolling

There may have been a point to this article; however, it's been lost on me as the lack of punctuation, spelling, grammar, sentence structure, and capitalization, has me uninterested.  Has the Minecraft forum's crowd found us at last?

Edit: Added spelling to the list.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 10

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by sunsvortex, May 7, 2014 - OT
Hidden by sunsvortex, May 7, 2014 - OT

image.png

View hidden Post

butthurt_zps4d8c90f3.jpg

• Like 3

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Jberg, May 7, 2014 - trolling

Is this one of those keyword walls to get traffic from certain words?

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by sunsvortex, May 7, 2014 - bashing
Hidden by sunsvortex, May 7, 2014 - bashing

all that was missing is capital letters. youre obviously one of the whining vets. if rolf cares so much about level playing fields and not exploiting things in ways unintended,trading coin via epic servers clearly fits the bill. or it was a bunch of bs,his reasonings,

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Jberg, May 7, 2014 - trolling

or perhaps your reading ability and comprehension is lacking,i dunno. i spelled one word wrong,exploitive>exploitaive. happy fingers

Edited by waarokku

View hidden Post

its-a-conspiracy.jpg

You're changing rules on legal enclosure, legal highway, perimeter, some to save gm's effort and work - though that's their sole purpose and function - but also because things were used in ways unintended and seen as exploitative.

I really don't get the changing legal highway thing regardless of your explanations, but whatever. You want to level the playing field, seeing vets as having unfair advantage over noobs. I refer to you liking the idea of capping things made offdeed to 20 ql among other things. Other things like opening the Xanadu server closed for a few weeks: to give people a chance to establish unimpeded.

Which people? I don't really buy any of your explanations for any of this. I think you're just toadying to your pvp buddy's whining whims. Maybe not. Here is a chance to see how hollow your words are. I was on pristine and release when they opened - unfair advantage went to the guy with the most coin. It will be the same with Xanadu. How do new folks and casual players not have a disadvantage against vets with loads of coin?

I saw the P/R start areas get settled hard and quick by big deeds by vet's alts. Making the very new/casual folks you say you value work harder to establish. Vets could throw down deeds with large amounts of coin available when those same new/casual folks would have to buy it from your shop - and never have as much as those vets. And then having a harder time finding spots, and surviving while staking them.

I don't care how big Xanadu will be, vets with large amounts of coin will get preference. The start areas will get settled by them forcing "lessor" players to greater extremes. Being able to trade coin via epic is surely an exploitative measure, unintended. And this matters to you - your words - or why start the server closed for a few weeks to give folks time to establish? Making them roll new toons/alts to do so? It only favors the vets.

For a true level playing field you should block trading coin to and from epic servers. You either meant what you said,or you just pick and choose what exploits weigh against you and your buddies - and which ones give advantage.

I tried to stop myself but I couldn't.

Carry on!

(Hi Waar! =)

• Like 16

Sure, don't let the vets bring coin.

WTS, 1g for 100e......

/buys gold through wurm shop.

/settles big deed on Xanadu.

See the problem?

On a serious note, that's not the sole reason those things are being removed. people were also able to use the highway rules and other things to grief others, with the very rules trying to prevent it.

Example: I can build a highway to, and around, your deed. as long as it follows the very simple highway rules, your not allowed to destroy it until a GM views it and agrees with it's removal, if they don't - you can't remove it. and even if they do.......I rebuild it, and you must again ask for the removal of it.

Well the truth is it doesn't matter the "vets" as you call them will just make new alts and buy coins from the shop and do the same thing. I am not sure about everyone but i have no desire to settle anywhere even close to the starting areas anyway. 

• Like 1

Well the truth is it doesn't matter the "vets" as you call them will just make new alts and buy coins from the shop and do the same thing. I am not sure about everyone but i have no desire to settle anywhere even close to the starting areas anyway. 

sounds like a lot of us "vets" don't want to be anywhere near each other - we want space...lots of space.  :lol:

Hey, Waarokku. Don't mind the forum trolls. They just want to make the game suck as much as possible so no one plays it.

all that was missing is capital letters. youre obviously one of the whining vets. if rolf cares so much about level playing fields and not exploiting things in ways unintended,trading coin via epic servers clearly fits the bill. or it was a bunch of bs,his reasonings,

Generally people  break up large posts to make them readable.

Your general idea seems to be "stop people from having the same bank on both clusters because it's unfair to new players"

So what if people bring coin from other servers, do people who buy coin when a server opens have an unfair advantage over people who dont?

Vets are way more likely to buy coin than the new players anyway, does that make the system unfair?

The linked banks are really a necessity for people who play on both clusters, and I don't see "moving coin through epic" as a good enough reason to remove them.

Hey, Waarokku. Don't mind the forum trolls. They just want to make the game suck as much as possible so no one plays it.

Wait, wouldn't that mean the vets wouldn't play it too?  I mean, by direct association, vets are part of everyone.

That seems quite counter-productive.

No, I would love for bugfixes.. we're trolling the post because it's the 10000th of it's kind,....

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

The dead horse of bug-fixery has died 14,000 times and it's soul quitely begs you all to stop poking it.

All people's coin was originally bought in the shop, vet or not at some point every player bought it from Rolf ( or a few trusted people on the forum selling coin ) ... what's your beef besides they didn't buy it last week?

But I thought everything was working as intended until stated otherwise! There's no (official) documentation so there is no known (official) intention. Possibly, even the intention can be not quite as was intended and is subject to change. It's not so much the tortured soul of that dead horse is begging for rest but that the dead horse was not working as intended and was never meant to be beaten to begin with!

(DISCLAIMER: This was sarcasm by the way. But I guess it could be trolling. If you didn't find it funny, just hand me a birchwood shod. If you did, hand me a birchwood shod anyway because I have a wall not working as intended and I want to nerf it.)

• Like 2

What confuses me is the thought that closing the borders had anything to do with fair start. The developers never said any such thing. What they specifically said was that they wanted the release of the new server to go without rollbacks. They are going to be trying to bring in new players with advertising at the same time supposedly. The entire reason for closing the server to the older players bringing in boats is the past history of that causing server crashes and rollbacks.

Furthermore I think it's pretty important to realize that separating servers is only a Band-Aid to the issue of top skill players versus low or medium skill players. It doesn't address the problem terribly well, and furthermore it's not addressing the core of what's causing the issues. Instead it is fixing a symptom so to speak.

That's not to say I like the situation with regards to old versus new players. And I certainly hate the attitude that comes from both sides of the debate. But continuing to focus on separate servers is not what we need to fix that issue.  That being said I think the older players wouldn't like any of the suggestions I have for fixing the system either XD But alas, no one is ever happy and I'm no dev. So what I think doesn't matter very much in the end.

To be fair, Waarokku. You've got a small deed right next to the starting point on celebration and an outer perimeter of wooden fences approximately the size of 100x100 surrounding you, all of it off deed.

Yet you complain about unfair advantage going to players with the most coin, especially veteran players. I think in your case of landgrabbing, it has gone to the player with the most persistence and willingness to take over land, especially right next to the start deed.

• Like 3

I'm so freaking tired of seeing posts that whine about vets skills....put your time in at the forge or whatever skill you  want and grind away like we all did.

I have been playing for 6 years and have worked long and hard to have the skills I do, I am getting tired of hearing that vets should not be allowed on servers just because you freaking feel inadequate.

• Like 12

Thank you gypsy.  I couldn't read his 3rd grade ranting style writing.

This is just useless complaining and ranting.

• Like 2

"I wanted that spot right beside the starter deed, so people who get there first shouldn't be able to take it!"

u wot m8

There's really no way to govern who takes the "best" areas nearby starter deeds, as "best" is very subjective.

Most of the time when I hear of huge deeds near starter towns, it's those 'vets' wanting to make a village for any newbies to join for free and help them start out on the server, a couple of deeds fight over who's going to be the server's 'Academy', a couple fight over who's going to be the 'Market', and that just makes the whole starter area better for the future.

Deeds for newbies to go to before they decide to trek off into the wilderness, and deeds for selling goods, makes for a more lively area when someone first logs in.

• Like 11

I think they plan on having more than one starting town this time anyway. I don't think we need ten but i can see having four maybe since it is four times the size of Independence. (Maybe a North, South, East and West Xanadu)

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Two thoughts:

1. The game is "unfair" for a new and / or casual player because of mote than one reason. First are, indeed, the seasoned vets with high skills and a healthy ballance you mentioned. Second there are the people with the largest IRL bank account. Then there are people with more play time than you, people with more friends than you, and so on. Yeah is not fair. But nothing is in live. Learn to accept this and make the best out of what you have. Focus on the tons of wonderfull thing you can do, unless of focusing on the very few spots you'll miss.

2. I start playong on Pristine. I found quite a lot of great spots of all type - close to Blossom or isolated, waterfront properties, with lots of resources, big or small. And we talk about the server with highest population density (close to Indy population, but 1/4th tje size). You just have to keep your eyes open a think a bit out of box. On a server the size on Xanadu there will not be a prime land shortage for a loooong time.