Sign in to follow this  
candyboy

Angbar Canal (x46 y33) proposal

(46,33) Is the west side of Free Barony's mountain, starting in the south from Crystal lake, extending through the shore of Ugbara Harbor and north to neighboring Angbar.  It is mostly undeveloped, with few trees and shallow dirt beaches, but a 175 dirt high hill in the north, seperating the two deeds..  It has a mine with an uneven entrance into the mounain on the east..

If a canal were built, it would connect Free Barony, and other prosperous towns, to the rest of the sailing world.  It would go through no buildings or trees in either town, and does not separate neighbors. The  canal would be parallel and hugging the mountain.   

I'm asking for permission of both towns' mayors to build this canal.  I'd like to hear the opinions of villagers of both towns, and the worldwide opinion of people living around Crystal Lake.  I'm sorry I don't know the mayors' names, as I forgot to check the settlement tokens during my survey.

The canal building would have to be a group effort, because of slight climbing involved, so if you're up for some digging if it's approved, post here too.

This zone has had a circle around it last month Meyfei, and I thought it should be brought up officially in the forums.

I can understand either side of the canal's construction being shy about this matter.  I will read this topic for one month, and if there's no response, I'll consider the proposal dead.

• Like 1

I live right next to that, but not on the proposed canal. I think it would be super cool to have and you can count on my help if it goes foward

Agreed, I live in the area and I support this initiative. I'd be willing to help if needed.

Sorry i edited because I thought you were mining through the mountain "which I was happy to volunteer to help with but wanted to forewarn of the hundreds of old mines in the mountain making the work hard" however now i've learnt to read I can lend a hand, not on Wurm as much atm because of rl but please shoot me a pm on forums or in game or something if you need a hand!

It was proposed a LONG time ago pre deli bit back then there were just to many deeds about to make it work. But nowadays this seems like a good idea :)

Edited by FreeTineen

Sorry to tell , but both mayors, Angbar and Ugbara Harbour has been gone over 270 days. Both are Faldan's alts

Edited by Dellaca

Great idea, I have been waiting for something like this for a while. I will help as I can. (mayor of Sligo)

• Like 1

That idea was sugested and started by a small group living in that area around 2008 and later 2010.

Faldan, the mayor of boths deeds migh have quit playing and he was envolved too. You will have to wait till those deeds to disband away. And as far i can remember, there should be a mine tunnel they started on that big mountain against Angbar. that was the original cannal project leading to Wealdin deed and crossin Barony.

Goodluck for you and all who will come to get envolved. you'll need a lot of effort and time on this.

Cheers

8ZV8j.png

Ronal's planned this shortcut today, similar what Meyfei was thinking of last month.

It's a nice idea and I'd love to help, however the only problem with a canal as opposed to a tunnel is that with a canal you can't mine any rock layer lower than I believe 7 or 8 dirts below water.  However, in a cave you can lower the floor quite a lot.  Using a cave tunnel would be the best option.

Edited by Slickshot

couldn't use a cave tunnel because the mountain is filled with to many old mines, there is of cours the old Thule Cave canal but the first rule of the thule cave canal is you do not talk about Thule cave canal. (bits of it are also deeded.) Also the proposed area shouldn't hit rock layer, my surface mine is close to water layer and i'm hardly near water :) the tricky bit is Anbar being abandoned in the way,

Edited by FreeTineen

I'll find a new route.  Also the proposed area is a very large strip next to a mountain; so you can nearly guarantee that you'd have some parts of a dirt canal hitting rock layer. ;)

P.S. old mines don't effect a cave tunnel. I'm not sure why you think they do unless they're old mines barricaded in completely with support beams. lol

Edited by Slickshot

I'll find a new route.  Also the proposed area is a very large strip next to a mountain; so you can nearly guarantee that you'd have some parts of a dirt canal hitting rock layer. ;)

P.S. old mines don't effect a cave tunnel. I'm not sure why you think they do unless they're old mines barricaded in completely with support beams. lol

Well funny you should mention the support beams lol, yeah. :)

The rock layer for the southern part of crystal bay near the mountain is def lower then water layer, that mountain is just weird >.< , also there's lower spots to connect there as the lake does urn south quite a way.

Edited by FreeTineen

Since the water level is the same height throughout, all you really have to do is grab a pickaxe and start mining. lol  The only problem that you could run into, as mentioned, are reinforced cave walls.  Going to start scouting more locational points soon and try to find a direct route that won't be too difficult.

That idea was sugested and started by a small group living in that area around 2008 and later 2010.

Faldan, the mayor of boths deeds migh have quit playing and he was envolved too. You will have to wait till those deeds to disband away. And as far i can remember, there should be a mine tunnel they started on that big mountain against Angbar. that was the original cannal project leading to Wealdin deed and crossin Barony.

Goodluck for you and all who will come to get envolved. you'll need a lot of effort and time on this.

Cheers

inde has only been up since july 2009 ;)

OK, I live right on the west side of Crystal BAY (the actual lake is a big water body south of that mountain) and dreaming of such canal since I placed a deed here. If you need my help - tell me. What I say is that underground tunnel will be much better idea because those decaying deeds don't seem do decay. Me and Prezes were planning canal like that for a long time, but its deeds who prevented us. So lets coordinate and slowly start.

Edited by dart193

I did a little surface scouting and this is what I came up with for a location for said canal.

ReocCAk.png

Like I said this was just surface scouting.  I'm not sure what mine systems lie in this area, although I know it'll intersect with the mine in my village, in Blue Phoenix and in Stone Breaker Stables.  Fortunately Stone Breaker Stables is an old villager of mine, Gorgonkain, and Blue Phoenix is under new leadership and seems to be a pretty fair character; Bhrandon is I think how it is spelled.  In any case, that's as far East as the canal can be due to it kissing the outside edge of Edoras.  A mining expedition would be needed to determine if reinforced walls would slow us down.

The orange lines on the picture are roughly the areas that would be an outside dug canal, with the red line being the cave tunnel portion.  Of course a name other than Angbar would need to be used since it doesn't come close to Angbar anymore. =P 

What do you all think?

Slickshot, I've been to Stone Breaker Stables (Gorgonkain's cow farm) and it is filled with wide graded hills, wild, and I hate the idea because it's too much work.

\we have done some scouting with candyboy too. We decided to make a canal inside a mountain, 50 tiles away from entrance so that it would not interfere with mines. We already found a good position for entrance and starting mining. We are now recruiting people probably.

Slickshot, I've been to Stone Breaker Stables (Gorgonkain's cow farm) and it is filled with wide graded hills, wild, and I hate the idea because it's too much work.

Um, the tunnel is underground not above it.  So those hills don't mean anything. lol

Dartarnius and I have done scouting and here is the final plan:  We will dig a 1 square wide temporary entrance to the boat tunnel.  The entrance will be slightly below sea level, on wet land, 3 tiles south of southern perimeter of Ugbara Harbor.  Ugbara Harbor is not on the Indy map, but it's directly south of Angbar, on the Indy Map. We are avoiding deeded land altogether.  Signs will be posted in front of the entrance.  

From the entrance, we will dig 20ish tiles in (east).  From there, 75 tiles north, then 21 tiles west.  The exit to the cave will be in the water, somewhat near the clay deposits on the other side.

From one tiles east, we will be digging 2 more tiles east, making the width of the tunnel 3 squares wide.  The outer edges of the tunnel will curve towards the water and will be dryish land in which to catch a breather, leaving the 3 inner tiles perfectly flat.

For the next phase, we will attempt to raise the ceiling as high as possible.  Then, will the floor be mined down. Caravels, Corbitas, and Cogs will need 20 depth.  Rowing boats, Sailboats, and Knarrs require 5, according to wiki.  To make it safe, it will be sunk to 21 depth.

We will need lamps to illuminate the bottom of the cave in which to allow safe passage for the ships, as well as carts to clean out the mine.  Volunteers who help out will be given rock shards for free.  Below is the wiki article on boat tunnels.

Reasons for making the tunnel this way is to allow people in the future to build new deeds when Ugbara and Angbar decay, to not annoy and neighbors past present and future.  The mine size is minimized to allow future people to continue to mine the mountain.  Construction starts today.

So lets coordinate and slowly start.

Look for a rock tile that is approximately two-thirds below the waterline. Needing to dredge such a tile is not unusual, especially to make the surrounding terrain look natural for those concealed ship docks.

The important thing is not to tunnel the ship entrance from the surface. You mine to the surface from inside, thus leaving an opening deep enough to sail through.

How you get inside doesnt matter. Everything ranging from alternative entries to making temp openings and collapsing them with orbs works. All that matters is you mine the cave floor deep enough and then mine straight out. Just make sure you have some means of restoring stamina nearby, especially to avoid drowning.

Even if you get the entrance wrong on the first try. Do not worry. Simply collapse the tile with an orb or Mag priest and try again.

Sculpting wand is also something to look into if you can`t find a tile.

Note: You can tunnel at 0 stamina while climbing but a boat close by for stamina regain is recommended as its slow.

• Important Note: You cannot surface mine to correct an oddly shaped opening, so you must make sure to have the tile in the shape you want it to be, before you open the mine.

Opening a ship tunnel

-------------------------------------------------------

It is important to note that this will be a public tunnel!

Since there is a mine and cave-ins from the previous attempt, we will need:

Massive amounts of concrete
Lots of reinforcing beams
Mag priests to fix the previous mine.  
Smiths to make lamps,

Carpenters to make wooden beams,

Miners.

Warning:  There is a cave bug in the mine, as well as bears outside and sharks in the waters south.  Come armed.

Please state what time you are usually online so we can schedule a meeting to plan the repairs!

---------------------------------------------------------

other notes:

U. Harbor is 24 tiles north-south.  Angbar's 1st plateau measured 26 tiles north-south.  Angbar's 2nd plateau measured 13 north/south,  11 tiles until stream is reached from there.  Exit must be dug until 2/3rds under water, and is marked with a stone block

exit is one tile to the left of the entrance.

Edited by candyboy

Ok if this fails let me know, and we'll go with the route I scouted.

an abandoned water tunnel was found. We are going to use it and will be enlongering it. We are still going to mine out as planned. Tunnel is far enough from mountainside, so people will be able to mine mines without problems. We need more miners now.

reinforced walls.. a lot of them. we are sort of screwed, unless we dig much further than intended

There's a hole in the reinforced walls.  Need concrete to push the water level above -8 so we don't mine at 0 stamina.  It's possible to mine forever at 0 stamina, but I don't wanna.

There's a hole in the reinforced walls.  Need concrete to push the water level above -8 so we don't mine at 0 stamina.  It's possible to mine forever at 0 stamina, but I don't wanna.

Then make the concrete.