Sign in to follow this  
FreeTineen

Remove Poll option from Forum (Please Close) :)

the odd poll can be useful, and well woodscrap ones can sometimes be funny but the majority are ill conceived, counter productive and biased in their options. If people can't use it with any degree of usefulness then its a redundant feature.

the odd poll can be useful, and well woodscrap ones can sometimes be funny but the majority are ill conceived, counter productive and biased in their options. If people can't use it with any degree of usefulness then its a redundant feature.

But we need a poll about this.

• Like 2

Polls are important part of every forum, so... why remove them?

Warlander:

And i'm happy for people to disagree with me, the fact that you can respond in a post stating why you disliked the idea is far more informative then a click of a button saying something that may not even be remotely close to your opinion.

• Like 1

I understand why you may want to do this in light of some recent polls, however, when well thought out the odd poll can be interesting, thought-provoking and informative.

May I suggest that if someone thinks a poll to be less than useful, they simply do not take part?

-1  No one is forcing you to open any topic so feel free to skip the ones with polls. Sure there is a lot of what i would call "useless" topics but the forums is not just for me so i skip the ones i am not interested in. 

Polls are important part of every forum, so... why remove them?

Exactly.  Every single poll I've ever made have been useful to the topic I've posted them on, and they haven't been biased.  I've always had options for yes, maybe, no (in different forms or phrases of course).  Removing polls would SUCK.

I understand why you may want to do this in light of some recent polls, however, when well thought out the odd poll can be interesting, thought-provoking and informative.

May I suggest that if someone thinks a poll to be less than useful, they simply do not take part?

Some people have problems ignoring stuff that they dislike, and have need to erase them.

I'm not saying its the same with OP tho.

both your points have merits and are wise suggestions however not everybody does this, some become bloated monstrosities of vague conjecture and trolling. I'd rather that when an idea is taken seriously then players are given the option to vote on a subject (similar to the system that's been mentioned for the 'council'). Just seems it would cut down on forum moderator time and assist in keeping the forums a little clearer

I'd also like to add that while many other kinds of topics become a slug match between one or two vocal players, polls certainly seem to draw them out of the woodwork.

Edit: Also I like people disagreeing with me, I want to see different opinions. That's why its a suggestion, simply because my perspective may be different from someone else's does not make me right and them wrong.

Edited by FreeTineen

No.

(and I could leave it like that, Just as I'd put yes/no on a poll.)

Some people don't wish to explain there reason, because it's already been said 10 thousand times, and they don't wish to repeat it a 10001 time. - which is actually why they don't explain why they voted on there choice. because they have......100 times before.  (Infact, We've had this before too.....)

• Like 1

Polls are nice when done right and if the ideas are interesting.

xanadu polls are just a temporary thing, hang in there, it will end some day! =p

keep polls!

• Like 2

No.

(and I could leave it like that, Just as I'd put yes/no on a poll.)

Some people don't wish to explain there reason, because it's already been said 10 thousand times, and they don't wish to repeat it a 10001 time. - which is actually why they don't explain why they voted on there choice. because they have......100 times before.  (Infact, We've had this before too.....)

That is true, but a post gives you the freedom to say simply no, or if you agree with some merits of the post am option to describe why. I think simply saying no or yes in a post is absolutely fine you don't need to write a dissertation every time you don't like something. I would like to add again some polls are well done, its just the majority at the moment (especially the non stop xanadu ones) add nothing to the forum, drown out other suggestions and probably impede any developers ability to see a good point within the forums.

And please if someone has a better suggestion then my straight out polls are teh evil say it, my post is a bit um blunt. However I get the vibe maybe its just me that wants the change and I don't want to beat a dead horse if that's so.

Edited by FreeTineen

Some people can't drive, remove cars.  Some people can't type, get rid of keyboards.

Polls give the ability to tabulate views quickly and concisely.  Just because some are completely useless doesn't invalidate the others.  Unless you'd like to appoint yourself board moderator for what constitutes a good poll I'd suggest just ignoring the ones you don't like.  Poll threads are a drop in the bucket compared to the  completely stupid, what's wrong with you, random suggestions threads that mostly populate the forum.

Bear in mind the polls are nearly meaningless w.r.t. game direction it's not like some completely idiotic poll somehow binds Rolf to a particular action.

Edited by belthize

Just because some people can't make good/correct polls doesn't mean that the feature should be removed. Some people can't make good replies (like only giving -1 and nothing else), should we thus remove the ability to reply to topics? I believe the devs are intelligent enough to disregard/ignore clearly biased polls, making it a non-issue. People can also start replacing the polls with external polls, there are plenty of sites which can be used for this. So it's really easy to bypass.

Just because some people can't make good/correct polls doesn't mean that the feature should be removed. Some people can't make good replies (like only giving -1 and nothing else), should we thus remove the ability to reply to topics? I believe the committee is intelligent enough to disregard/ignore clearly biased polls, making it a non-issue. People can also start replacing the polls with external polls, there are plenty of sites which can be used for this. So it's really easy to bypass.

Just made a small fix.

I think we should remove the shitposting passes which have been handed out way too generously

Many useless polls have catchy titles but nonsensical poll options. A poll cries out for forum user feedback, they're intrinsically hard to ignore - because then your feedback and voice could be go unheard. That's why they are such a useful tactic in trolling.

I would not like to see this feature removed, however, the forum moderators should have a policy of removing poll status from nonsensical or purely trolling polls.

Thank you everyone for feedback, some nicely writen posts here defending the polls. It seems most people are for them and thus I see no reason to keep the thread open, thanks again everyone :)