As I wander the world of wurm I stumble across the wildcat.  A wonderful hunter built to prey on small woodland creatures.  The problem is, in a lot of forests, small woodland creatures consist of giant spiders.  Not really condusive to good health.

Thus I propose the addition of critters.  Creatures weak enough for a wildcat to kill and, more importantly, creatures that can be killed "right off the boat" if a player is smart.

These creatures will try to flee when engaged, their only defence mechanic.  However they can be baited.  Carnivores will always try to hunt down critters for food (aversion to starvation).

A quick note on the drops.  Critters drop a lighter variant of items, so a critter paw would be a 0.1 weight rather than a 0.3.  Etc.

Squirrel : Drops paws, fur and meat, will gravitate to any nuts on the ground and will not flee if on a tile with nuts.
Rabbit : Drop paws, fur and meat, will gravitate to any vegetables/fruit on the ground and will not flee if on a tile with nuts.
Grass Snake : Drops hide and meat, will gravitate to critter corpses and moves slowly but is hard to see.
Mouse : Drops meat, fur and a tail, will gravitate to any food left on the floor and is killable in a single blow.

• Like 3

once they make sure that it wont kill the animal movements again, I think this could be neat

+1!

Rabbit : Drop paws, fur and meat, will gravitate to any vegetables/fruit on the ground and will not flee if on a tile with nuts.

Did you mean to say rabbits won't flee with nuts? Because you just said they eat vegetables/fruit...

Grass Snake : Drops hide and meat, will gravitate to critter corpses and moves slowly but is hard to see.

Have you ever seen a real grass snake? Slow moving they are not.

I do think the food chain needs a lower rung though. I also think if wildcats (and also bears) are near water, they should try swiping fish out onto the beach where they will then eat them unless they get interrupted.

-1  I don't want to see time spent on making computer AI attack other AI so the computer can spawn more AI. Maybe some day when all the cool player wishes have been fulfilled ( sails down, pack animals, lead my hitched cart/wagon, one key for multiple locks, fish in FSB, ect.ect...)

I think  the problem is creature difficulty zones. Even if we had squirrels and other weaklings you will find a giant spider, hell hound and maybe a troll right next to them. Effort should be allocated to make it so rats and wildcats tend to not hang out with spiders, hell hounds, and trolls.

Oh, that's an interesting proposition. I can see this being a lot of fun. A step further would be to add trapping to the game. If we can bait the critters, we may be able to set traps and become trappers down the road.

+1

Weaker animals like deer should run away from you. You have to hunt with bow and arrow. That would be cool.

Tracking would be useful for this.