Sign in to follow this  
LorraineJ

This is supposed to be fun?

Well there's your problem then. If you refuse to use the easy, simple and effective mechanics that are there, you really have no point to complain. That's like complaining you can't kill animals because you choose to fight without weapons, because you think weapons are too hard to make. It's your fault, not something lacking in the game.

Bad troll is bad.

The problem isn't grass being eaten, it's being PACKED DOWN by bison constantly power walking over the grass/crop tiles over and over again.  As others have tried to explain to you, crops are NOT immune to being trampled and packed down.  This will especially happen when the animals end up standing in the same corner huddled together.  No crop on earth is going to save those tiles from being packed down.   I'm seeing this myself with my bison.

Do you understand now?  Or are you going to continue trolling?

Only difference I've seen is with aggro mobs, have 30-40 scorpions* at a time on my mountain.

Use to have the problem being mentioned at my old deed though constantly, wouldn't say it's a new bug by any means....at least 6-7 months now.

everytime I leave my place I can go lava spider/cave bug hunting for 1-2 hours straight. it's usually 2 new popping up when one is down, through around 30-40 lava spiders. every day.

so i don't think all these problems caused by the docile vs. aggro mobs update are legitimate. at least i don't think sharks are responsible at all, but spawn points.

theres an influx of non den-spawning creatures (sharks, lava spiders, cave bugs, scorpions) and a reported lack of creatures appearing from dens, though i've seen tons of crocodiles, lions and bears past weeks. something to think about...

on topic though, my horses pack faster than normal too. but they move at least.

• Like 1

Well there's your problem then. If you refuse to use the easy, simple and effective mechanics that are there, you really have no point to complain. That's like complaining you can't kill animals because you choose to fight without weapons, because you think weapons are too hard to make. It's your fault, not something lacking in the game.

You are not understanding the issue discussed here, so please, go back to your cave/bridge, or wherever trolls live nowadays.

In case you need clarification, the discussion revolves around mechanics that used to work not long ago, and that now are apparently not working as intended.   The discussion is not about how to try to dodge bugs and things that were recently broken, regarding game mechanics, and that require fixing and/or documentation about its intended behaviour.

• Like 2

uhmm, my animals are fine. Two deeds here one on center inde one on south inde.. no case of crazy packing animals.

But what "animals" Rose?  Horse AI seems mostly okay, sorta.  But if you have a moderate to large number of bison, you'll know what we're talking about.

I'll try to make a video when I get home and put it on YouTube, I mean it's really something to watch those suckers run around!

Bison aren't the only offenders, I got horses, 2 cows (notably 1 calf) that left in larger pens will run around and around until everything is packed. What isn't getting packed is being absolutely munched to death, fields, grass.

I had 2 births 2 days ago, both baby horses went absolutely skitz and ran around constantly, trying to lead them was a nightmare. Just me running around the pen throwing a rope going "Staph, staph, c'mere". I've had to impose a stable rule on the town due to the crops being completely wrecked which ruins the food supply for other animals. My normally 'well-behaved' animals that were left to feed from fields are now shacked up in a stable and have to be manually fed - I can't keep up, I'll run out of seeds before the end of the week.

The fact that there are no responses from any GM kinda makes me wonder if this behavior is intended from bison. Has anyone tried seeing what happen when you add more bison to a pen or take some away? Would be worth looking into. I only say this because my bison act slightly different then whats being described. They like to stay in a herd  and as far as moving around they tend to scatter the minute i come pouncing into view.... makes for difficult breeding.

If i have time i will split mine up tomorrow to see what happens but if someone wants to test sooner than later than go ahead :) .

My large fields can't keep up with food demand for 6 animals I own, let alone the rest of the deeds animals. I harvested in over 200 seeds today, fed each pair with 20 seeds in my stable, in less than an hour 3 of my pens are completely empty of food, 1 pen that has a single animal in it consumed 21 seeds by itself in less than an hour. Last week, 20 seeds would have been more than enough to keep a pair of animals tied over till the next day.

My animals are losing their 'fat' status and I'm starting to worry, if I can't get online because of work for 1 or two days, will my animals have quickly starved to death? This isn't fun, it's making me paranoid.

Temp or permanent fix for you: Depending on what animals you have in your stables, it can help a lot to change the crops you are feeding them.

Seeds: No longer a good option to feed animals (changed when the pred vs prey originally went in). Since hens only lay eggs when being fed seeds or grains, the only option now is grains. (They will still lay eggs if fed seeds, but they lose fat status and end up starving - they don't eat more as you are experiencing though. They eat 10 a day - no matter what you feed them). 

Go for heigh weight vegetables for feeding. Pumpkins are best (most filling per item) for those who will eat them (birds will not).

But what "animals" Rose?  Horse AI seems mostly okay, sorta.  But if you have a moderate to large number of bison, you'll know what we're talking about.

I'll try to make a video when I get home and put it on YouTube, I mean it's really something to watch those suckers run around!

Ok let me relist them again..

In chaos I got 10 tiles pen filled with 2 bisons 4 horses, was even 2 bisons 8 horses at a time. 2 bisons are wild, 6 horses are wild. We slowly enchant the grass, two each day and has only got one packed grass. And we notice the bisons are following each others.

In my main deed on Independence I got like 30 tiles pen filled with 15+ deers and cows, half enchanted grass half crops. No packed grass.

Also got 2x1 and 2x2 pens on the same deed, filled with 2 horses each, no packing.

In my newcomers deed in Independence I got 5 bisons, separated to three pens, 2x1 each. Plus horses and cows on the same setup.

All these are inside deed and quiet aggro-free areas. 

Let us see the details, what make these thing happen so we can push devs to fix it faster? ;)

Edited by rosedragon

Hmm i noticed when you separate bisons in each 2x1 pens you can also use grass at ground. I dont know if it works for all but it seems that tiles get really packed just becouse of the horde behavior.

I've got a dozen horses, all grazing on cobblestone and ignoring the grass in the field I put them in. A few hours after I've moved them all to the other side, they all move back. I'm tired of this crap. I don't have time to log in 3x a day when I'm not even playing just to move my horses. Fix your darn AI already.

I've got 10 bison on enchanted grass in a 2x3 pen, haven't had to replace a enchanted grass in weeks... My horses have packed one or two over the past few weeks. But nothing more then normal.

Only difference I've seen is with aggro mobs, have 30-40 scorpions* at a time on my mountain.

Use to have the problem being mentioned at my old deed though constantly, wouldn't say it's a new bug by any means....at least 6-7 months now.

That's because you have Doc cleaning up after them, he was just complaining the other day about how the bison were packing the grass. hehe

wurm201405032351_1_zpsbe608b66.jpg

this is only a few hours of killing, we killed the same amount....if not more, trolls. This was all within about 50 tiles of the deed. The trolls are extremely pesky since they like to bash the walls down while they are stuck on the border tiles. Why is it that problems with animals are always pushed to the back burner, ignored, or made very difficult to deal with? All i do when i log on now are deal with the animals then go troll killing before they over run DEEDED LAND.

Would love to get back to normal gameplay as im sure most others would to. I dont give a crap about new servers while you sit on broken ones. Most people with the animal problems around there deeds feel like they are in a cell.

OMG it's a.... a... CROCTOPUS! :)

• Like 3

That's because you have Doc cleaning up after them, he was just complaining the other day about how the bison were packing the grass. hehe

He's at Darklands, not forsythia/Forsythia harbour. He only replaced 1 enchant grass in the horse pen a few weeks ago, so the bison still haven't touched anything.

And as I said, Darklands has always had that problem (way before this "new" bug) yet neither of my new deeds do, even now a and the animals have less room then before which makes no sense. >_<

Today's Cobblestone Grazing:

1hscjq.png

I honestly don't have time to log on 3 - 4 times a day when I'm not playing just to move these so they don't starve, and I don't have the time to make more fencing. This is all ON DEED, btw. If I put them in an enclosure, they'll run around and tromp it flat in an hour. This was not a problem before the last AI update. It just keeps getting worse, and worse, and worse. Fix 1 thing, break 2 more. :P

I know it's a pain from the dev end, but this really needs fixed. I'd say top priority, as it's affecting just about everyone and you don't want this behavior on Xanadu when it goes live.

I've got a dozen horses, all grazing on cobblestone and ignoring the grass in the field I put them in. A few hours after I've moved them all to the other side, they all move back. I'm tired of this crap. I don't have time to log in 3x a day when I'm not even playing just to move my horses. Fix your darn AI already.

Tame your horse/foal and put saddles on them. Then put them on field tiles. Move them around when you farm to be sure they stay on decently old enough field tile so they don't eat the freshly sowed one. They will never ever move by themselves with a saddle.

YbMCgFO.jpg

Edited by Serpentarius

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 6, 2014 - Removed - Trolling
Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 6, 2014 - Removed - Trolling

Tame your horse/foal and put saddles on them. Then put them on field tiles. Move them around when you farm to be sure they stay on decently old enough field tile so they don't eat the freshly sowed one. They will never ever move by themselves with a saddle.

YbMCgFO.jpg

/end topic.

YbMCgFO.jpg

pls turn some anti aliasing on

He's at Darklands, not forsythia/Forsythia harbour. He only replaced 1 enchant grass in the horse pen a few weeks ago, so the bison still haven't touched anything.

And as I said, Darklands has always had that problem (way before this "new" bug) yet neither of my new deeds do, even now a and the animals have less room then before which makes no sense. >_<

Ah, there's been so many bugs with them maybe I'm an entire bugged code behind! Haha

Bison aren't the only offenders, I got horses, 2 cows (notably 1 calf) that left in larger pens will run around and around until everything is packed. What isn't getting packed is being absolutely munched to death, fields, grass.

I have some cows and deer in a large 10x11 pen, and they pack like crazy also. So I can also testify that it's not just bison. 

I don't say that. All I am saying is let's find out WHY this happens on some people and not everyone. Sorry if I seems to imply I am questioning the screenshots but please check back my post one page before. What I asked was if there is agro around, what happen if the bisons are put together, or if it is off deed.

This pen is entirely on deed. This screenshot:

JustTwo_zps51e3601b.jpg?t=1399400420

is the result of one night's packing by two bison. I took this earlier than I did the other ones, so I'm not sure if they would have packed the same amount as usual or what. This deed is usually light on aggro; at any rate I now double-wrap any animal pens for fear of trolls, so attackers to this pen can't get closer than a full square away on one side, and many more on the others. The pen is seven squares away from water. I don't know if these bison saw Jaws at too young of an age and are reacting to sharks I haven't noticed much of in this bay, but land aggros I rarely see here. The rest of the bison I have are in 1x2 magic grass pens. They can't run around fast like these two can, but I have had the magic grass get trampled about three times.

Ideally we shouldn't have to resort to unintuitive workarounds to properly enjoy and play the game.

• Like 3

All it takes is 5 minutes of replanting crops every day. You dont have to farm, tend or harvest them.

Can I have some seeds of whatever crop this is you're talking about? The crops I have, they go from me planting them to death in about five days. Then I have to rake the square of dead crop, and replant that square. So that means in that field, I'd have to plant it out, watch for whatever they trampled or ate and replace those squares, and then in five days, rake that whole field to get rid of the dead crops, and replant it with more crops I either grew elsewhere, or spent money on. I already said I have PTSD from crops right now from too many hours of tending them for many days. So that means I have to dip into the crops I buy to feed the chickens, and then plant them out every five days for the bison to trample, eat, and let die. My chickens eat more than pigs do, I don't want to be buying more crops than I already do on a regular basis (sorry all my trusty sellers).

I know it's a pain from the dev end, but this really needs fixed. I'd say top priority, as it's affecting just about everyone and you don't want this behavior on Xanadu when it goes live.

Exactly. Trying to get this game on a service full of people who like action and change, and then having them experience this monotony doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I mean what are you gonna say - "Hey guys, remember that hour of your life you'll never get back? Well come try the game again, we fixed some bugs." Once they try it and hate it, and tell their friends they thought it sucked, it will be too late to get them to try again.

Yea i'm a troll because you and your 2 buddies don't know how to play or how to look up simple mechanics on the wiki. The other 3000 players don't have a problem, just you and your troll friends, but sure it's my problem.

Many people have this problem. They just know that coming to the forums is akin to begging to be ridiculed so they don't come. If they do come to read, they would never post.

How you play is you put some animals in a field with grass and they move around and eat it. They packed some, yes, but they didn't trample the whole pen like in the screenshots. Now they do and the cause of the changes is apparent - IF you care to look and SEE the facts around it. The point is, you can toss your bison in  a cave with every tile dumped with 100 mixed grass or you can put them in a house with the same but you should not have to because this is not how it works nor how it used to work. A mechanic was broken and it needs fixed. 

Lithien, pleeeease clarify this for me:

Temp or permanent fix for you: Depending on what animals you have in your stables, it can help a lot to change the crops you are feeding them.

Seeds: No longer a good option to feed animals (changed when the pred vs prey originally went in). Since hens only lay eggs when being fed seeds or grains, the only option now is grains. (They will still lay eggs if fed seeds, but they lose fat status and end up starving - they don't eat more as you are experiencing though. They eat 10 a day - no matter what you feed them). 

Why are seeds now not a good option since pred vs prey started??

My chickens and roosters will eat all of these each, every day:

barley
corn
cotton seeds
garlic
mixed grass
oat
onions
potatoes
pumpkin seeds
reed seeds
rice
rye
strawberry seeds
wemp seeds
wheat

They still eat all the seeds and everything else since pred/prey started. Are you saying I'm wasting those seeds for some reason? Or that the roosters are hoarding them all and eating them, and they don't benefit the chickens? I have the two sexes mixed, and I keep feeding them the entire variety menu each time, so I haven't discerned that maybe, say, the potatoes don't get the chickens to lay eggs. It does seem to me that the chickens like to be personally groomed to lay, and humid drizzle doesn't cut it. Are they now hating on seeds too??