Sign in to follow this  
LorraineJ

This is supposed to be fun?

I just put some baby bison in a field. Two needed genesis spell. I cast the spell on one, and went to sleep. I am meticulous about making sure there are no packed dirt squares in my fields of animals. When I went to sleep, this field had no packed squares. I wake up and think, ooh I can cast genesis again, I log in, and this is what I see.

PACKING_zps9d75c0fb.jpg?t=1399055282

This is NOT fun. Every day just to make sure the fields are ok it takes at least half an hour. Now I have to unpack THIS many squares every day?? These animals are not going to live, sometimes I have to miss a day. I do not understand how anyone can think that with what leisure time I can find to play Wurm, I want to spend most of it unpacking dirt squares. I get it already! Cultivate, plant, pick flower. How many times a day does anyone think people want to do these SAME EXACT ACTIONS. I do not know anyone in my RL who'd play this game with all the repetition. If my sister or brother knew I was actually considering spending the time to unpack these squares, I think they'd stage some kind of intervention. This is not a way to attract more players to Wurm. It's a way to get me to rage quit though. There's enough repetition already, there doesn't have to be more that can potentially kill animals if you don't make it onto Wurm every 8 hours. PLEASE fix this.

• Like 22

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by sunsvortex, May 2, 2014 - staff bashing
Hidden by sunsvortex, May 2, 2014 - staff bashing

This is how Rolf tries to tell people how they should play (not breed "excessive" amounts of animals).

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by sunsvortex, May 2, 2014 - bashing
Hidden by sunsvortex, May 2, 2014 - bashing

One of the core basis of game design in Wurm is to ensure annoying game play.

Although a lot of things have changed for the better over the past couple of years, some things have not or have gotten worse.

• Like 1

You're not really "supposed" to use grass squares for animals. Enchanted tiles are optimal, but fields do much better.

Bisons are really broken at the moment. They also all like to huddle up in the same corner.

• Like 2

Put a pile of corn or wheat or something on the tiles the animals are standing on before you log off for a long time. Also hand feed them until they won't eat anymore. This way they won't be hungry for a while and when they do get hungry they'll eat the wheat out of the pile and then after the piles gone they'll start grazing the grass.

That don't look so bad though, it's just the way things are.

Bisons are really broken at the moment. They also all like to huddle up in the same corner.

My horses all huddled on the SW end of a 10x10 pen... Looks like animal AI is still needing tweaks.

You're not really "supposed" to use grass squares for animals. Enchanted tiles are optimal, but fields do much better.

You're correct from a game mechanic standpoint.  But planting crops for animal grazing is kind of silly.

Did I mention we need hay in Wurm?

• Like 3

I just lost faith in this community, 9 packed tiles is cause for complaint? its like 2 minutes to restore...

• Like 2

Oh yes my animals look like they're praying to mecca, all squinched into corners. I can only do one magic grass per day, I couldn't bear the grind to get the alts up to it. And, I'm saving those magic grass for the new deed I got.

I used to have crops under the animals, but I'm telling you, I'd have at least three hours of just maintenance chores PER DAY to keep the crops going, grass planted, animals fed, animals groomed, selfs fed, fences repaired, flower pots watered, etc. etc. so I got rid of all the crops. And YES I wish there were hay bales, or far-reaching feeding mangers, or SOMEthing, especially for pigs and hens/roosters.

And I don't have so many bison. Who does?? I can't find them anymore. The steppes are all deeded over. We need four to pull a wagon. People are looking for them. Mine die. There are three bison in that big area that trampled all those squares.

I just lost faith in this community, 9 packed tiles is cause for complaint? its like 2 minutes to restore...

That's if I use my alt that has good forestry, and it's EVERY DAY. And now several times a day? And it just took me more than two minutes. It's BORING, and it's dangerous if I can't get on for whatever reason. All I know is this. When I ran my own business, I wanted my customers to tell me what made them happy or upset. Some did, and some were wimpy and didn't want to say, "hey can we change such-and-such." I would have been glad to work things out, the feedback is helpful. The kind of customers that don't speak up just leave.

• Like 3

And I don't have so many bison. Who does?? 

I have about 20+.  I was hoping to breed some Bison with really good traits for all the wagoneers.  I don't know if people even buy animals anymore, but hey, a man's got to have a dream  :P

That isn't really the issue.   The problem is if you don't log in every day to fix this, you end up with animals that starve to death.

It seems a lot better since the patch though.  Turbo Bison for the win hehe.

• Like 1

Have you checked the traits of your bison? 

Perhaps some have the negative trait that makes them "constantly hungry", which I believe doubles the rate at which animals eat from the tile.

Also, I would recommend that you take up the mediation path of love, that allows you to enchant grass.  This will help address your frustration greatly, once you get this ability.

Edited by Thorin

Mine do the same thing, so I put 3 in a pen 2x2 ... And I have 3 pens like this now and they only pack one tile a day instead of running around packing everything

Have you checked the traits of your bison? 

Perhaps some have the negative trait that makes them "constantly hungry", which I believe doubles the rate at which animals eat from the tile.

Also, I would recommend that you take up the mediation path of love, that allows you to enchant grass.  This will help address your frustration greatly, once you get this ability.

Thy don´t pack the tiles by eating it but because they trample it by walking on it hundred of times. 

• Like 1

I can make magic grass, but it's one per day. I just got a new deed, and I'm putting my shiniest horses there, so I need to make the magic grass over there. If you look closely, that field DOES have magic grass on it, that's probably the only thing that saved it from having even MORE packed tiles. Also, if I have an entirely flat field, I don't like to make the whole thing magic grass in case I have a guest who wants to make crops, or if I change my mind and want to plant crops again.

If the tile is PACKED, it's because they trampled all over it. If it's just dirt, they ate it all. That happens with crops. None of these bison have the constantly hungry, I got lucky and the only bad traits were Overly Aggressive, which I took off. But yes OMG the constantly hungry is awful.

You do realize that with crop tiles:

A) they get more "food charges" than grass does. If you keep them off the field until it's past baby stage they almost never pack it.

B ) It guarenteed plants

C) It packs into normal dirt, no cultivation required

D) Produces ~enough seeds to replant with 40 farming and no raking.

You're complaining about a mechanic when you're choosing to use it over a more convenient alternative. Which is 100% feasible.

You can also use cut grass instead of sprouts. It's slightly faster to gather/plant them than sprouts are if you're in the correct terrain area.

Edited by Sevenless
  • Like 3

Enchanted grass is better sure, but lately it doesn't last long either. I have a hard time keeping up with re-enchanting and I don't think the latest "fixes" to creature AI is very effetive, I still have horses standing on a packed tile in the middle of a grassfield starving rather than moving a few steps. 

Having horses or other animals should be some work but when you have to tend them everyday it becomes like a job that you can never take vacation from. How do you keep your animals alive if you go for a trip during a week?

• Like 1

The animals are definitely moving, yay! But the horses and the cows in my pen stomped half the tiles (approx 15) into packed dirt overnight :)

I am sure it's unintended, so our best option is to just report this as a bug or unintended behavior and hopefully it will get fixed soon.

LorraineJ, This is situation is because of the animal movement adjustment which was done very poorly. It really needs more work to be recoded properly. Bison especially have been mentioned as moving around too much. I don't even like the horse movement now because they may wander over onto freshly planted fields and quickly graze them away. So all animals are moving too much now. Hopefully the Devs will continue to work on this problem and get it fixed properly. I do agree with you that is it very much borked and out of hand currently.

=Ayes=

Have fun on the east coast, that's where all creatures seem to be headed. :P

I'm expecting to find our shared 20ish village horses diseased tomorrow since they all flock around the same wall in their rather large pens.