Sign in to follow this  
Proximo

Hey we need Hay

a big +1 from me even though i don't have any need for it...

A really good idea and Kegans pics just make it even better :P

His pics were worth a thousand words for sure.

bump

Wasn't there a way to use sickles on long grass to make something you could feed horses and cows?  Was it removed, or am I having a memory fail?

Yeah, mixed grass already does all this. It just doesn't look like a bale of hay... it looks like a loose pile of it. I prefer the loose pile look, anyway.

Yesss this game needs hay and barns and wolf spiders to live in both!

+1

lol oh god don't we have enough spiders already?  But yay to the rest!

They could just be little mini environmental decorations... like the fish and butterflies.

Yeah, mixed grass already does all this. It just doesn't look like a bale of hay... it looks like a loose pile of it. I prefer the loose pile look, anyway.

True we have it but its not Hay. I could see Hay being grown as a crop that would need to be harvested in time to yield more weight. The problem with mixed grass is i need hundreds to feed a single animal and to collect hundreds for every one of my animals....well....i dont have enough hair on my head to sacrifice.

Love the Hay idea as well as the barn idea. although the barn idea has been brought up many many times and most players seem to bring out torches and pitchforks for which i have never understood.

Love the Hay idea as well as the barn idea. although the barn idea has been brought up many many times and most players seem to bring out torches and pitchforks for which i have never understood.

It's easy.  They don't like the idea of barns because players would be able to keep animals off-deed protected from fence-bashers.

But you would have to have high carp to even make a viable barn, and you couldn't keep many animals inside it as compared to a pen outdoors.

Again, when I wrote the OP I wasn't even thinking of indoor barns.  But they would be pretty great and make Wurm more legitimate.

• Like 1

+1

Honestly, this should have been implemented a long time ago, the current system of needing to enchant grass is a pain and feels like a temporary solution.

It would be nice to be able to drop a bunch of bales of hay and know your animals wont starve if you need to be away for a week or two.

Could make it a crafting item (Bale of Hay) that uses the farming skill for creation chance/ % success, higher quality bales would last longer (with rare/supreme being larger and lasting longer respectively) and they cannot be improved or added to once completed and would instead be consumes over time similar to coal piles (to stop people from making high ql bales and never needing to create new ones by constantly renewing them).

Make it require piles of grass + string and is started by using a new item (Pitchfork) on a pile of grass, which is obtained by using a scythe on "tall grass" (could be one tier higher than current grass lengths for mixed grass, with a different animation/texture).

Subsequently, this would add a new market for people with high farming skill as you could pay a farmer to come create some hay bales for you to tend to your animals if you didn't want to do it and since they are consumable, it creates a small economic boost for farmers beyond selling mass produce.

Just a thought on expanding the idea within current mechanics anyway.

Edited by Zeno
  • Like 2

+1

Honestly, this should have been implemented a long time ago, the current system of needing to enchant grass is a pain and feels like a temporary solution.

It would be nice to be able to drop a bunch of bales of hay and know your animals wont starve if you need to be away for a week or two.

Could make it a crafting item (Bale of Hay) that uses the farming skill for creation chance/ % success, higher quality bales would last longer (with rare/supreme being larger and lasting longer respectively) and they cannot be improved or added to once completed and would instead be consumes over time similar to coal piles (to stop people from making high ql bales and never needing to create new ones by constantly renewing them).

Make it require piles of grass + string and is started by using a new item (Pitchfork) on a pile of grass, which is obtained by using a scythe on "tall grass" (could be one tier higher than current grass lengths for mixed grass, with a different animation/texture).

Subsequently, this would add a new market for people with high farming skill as you could pay a farmer to come create some hay bales for you to tend to your animals if you didn't want to do it and since they are consumable, it creates a small economic boost for farmers beyond selling mass produce.

Just a thought on expanding the idea within current mechanics anyway.

This!

Just make a new crop that is meant to be hay. You use a scythe to harvest, and the produce of the harvest is a hay bundle. You can slap the hay bundles in a BSB to save for later. It should be quite bulky and perhaps only 100 bundles per BSB. You can then drop the bundle in a hay feeder made with carpentry. It feeds one grazing animal for about a week per bundle. You can only place one hay feeder per tile inside houses OR outside.  You can just throw a bundle out on the ground, but the hay feeder slows the decay of the bundle.

newarrivals13.jpg

It fixes all the problems with an elegant solution that adds an authentic look if you want to make a barn.

P.S. They are bundles of hay NOT bales. You do not get bales of hay until modern industrial farming. :P

Edited by Plebian
  • Like 2

Just make a new crop that is meant to be hay. You use a scythe to harvest, and the produce of the harvest is a hay bundle. You can slap the hay bundles in a BSB to save for later. It should be quite bulky and perhaps only 100 bundles per BSB. You can then drop the bundle in a hay feeder made with carpentry. It feeds one grazing animal for about a week per bundle. You can only place one hay feeder per tile inside houses OR outside.  You can just throw a bundle out on the ground, but the hay feeder slows the decay of the bundle.

newarrivals13.jpg

It fixes all the problems with an elegant solution that adds an authentic look if you want to make a barn.

P.S. They are bundles of hay NOT bales. You do not get bales of hay until modern industrial farming. :P

Having to store the hay in a bsb just defeat the very nature of hay, is much better to make stacks.

Wow I didn't know there was such as thing as  "hay feeder"!  I REALLY like the idea of using the option of a carpentry item like that to feed our animals.

Good stuff Plebian, thank you.

JFDI?

I believe it means 'Just (Fudging) Do It'

Thanks for the compliment. I grew up on a ranch so I have fed a few real bales of hay. I figured hay feeders were nothing new, and if you search you can find some shown in medieval periods. If you just drop hay on the ground the animals tend to bed/poop/pee all over it.

Edited by Plebian

I have fed a few real bales of hay.

Really? What do bales of hay eat? :P

Really? What do bales of hay eat? :P

Well... I have seen the swather grab up and windrow baby deer, crows, hawks, owls, skunks(not a fun day to ride the swather) coyotes and a few turkeys.

So I would say hay eats just about anything that moves in the field. :D

I believe it means 'Just (Fudging) Do It'

Thanks for the compliment. I grew up on a ranch so I have fed a few real bales of hay. I figured hay feeders were nothing new, and if you search you can find some shown in medieval periods. If you just drop hay on the ground the animals tend to bed/poop/pee all over it.

I guess I just forgot.  I just remember helping grandpa give hay to cows.  But yeah a feeder TOTALLY makes more sense.

What would the effect be of adding hay?

Much easier to keep livestock alive for a longer time without work leads more animal hoarding leads to less domestic animals around in the wild.

Would crowding diseases etc mitigate this effect?

What other negative effects could occur?

If hay was as complex to make as any of current equivalent crops, it would be a no brainer, but then what is the purpose except the decorative effects?