Sign in to follow this  
Alden

Disable /who for Epic

Disable /who for Epic  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree?

• I Xanadu
    • I Xanadu not

I'm just a dirty nube when it comes to the whole PvP thing, so my opinion doesn't carry much weight.

But I feel that the ability to monitor server populations on Epic is one of the larger factors that are impeding some good PvP and KvK situations.

Spamming /who and using population monitors is not how we should be spending our time.

Anyone who's been around awhile will know what the median server population will look like,

And spotting an abnormality can easily give away the game.

The problem?:

PvP turns into a cold war.

But instead of nuclear tests and strong arming the most third world countries, people sit on deed and login every shared account and alt trying to inflate the server population to make the other side apprehensive about leaving their own deed until everyone gets bored and eventually logs off.

My suggestion:

Disable /who command and to keep server population numbers internal to the Wurm Team for the Epic cluster (Maybe on Chaos too if they want it).

Why is population monitoring bad for pvp?:

It means that all players will hide in their deeds whenever they see a higher than usual server population, stifling any actual pvp from occurring.

It means that any raiding group will be spotted moving from one server to another long before any pvp can happen.

It means that raiders can see when servers have a low population and are most vulnerable and unable to defend themselves.

It compromises any secret actions taken and only benefits the kingdom with the highest population on at that time.

How will disallowing public monitoring help?:

Players may be less afraid to roam, knowing that other kingdoms are blissfully unaware of any server activity.

It will encourage actual scouting.

Kingdoms with lower populations will actually be able to make decisive strikes against the larger kingdoms without being run off by a show of numbers.

What are the downsides of disabling public monitoring?:

New players may log in at a slow time and assume Wurm is a dead game.

Numberphiles will have less to fap to.

i dont play on epic or do pvp,but il just say that for this to work,they would have to remove those servers from the server update page too,or at least change the population counts to a on/off status so people can still check if the servers are down.

Edited by Tpikol

Selling python server crossing script, PM for more details

Selling python server crossing script, PM for more details

Do you know that there are a few that are free right?

By the way I don't know who is monitoring the population 24/7 and hide in his deed when theres a sudden spike.

So I will have to think that you are the only one who does that.

And even with that there will be always some noobhunters killing noobs that don't even pop tabs. And by the time they attack someone from a major alliance, they will flee before the alliance can counter attack or log off in a mine to flee after a few hours. So don't fix what isn't broke.

But then I read the poll and I say "this guy is trying to troll hard", and then I finish to write this.

Edited by Alec

Do you know that there are a few that are free right?

please link :)

By the way I don't know who is monitoring the population 24/7 and hide in his deed when theres a sudden spike.

I haven't played in a while, thought players on serenity might be interested tho :)

Doesn't that mean we would be forced to disable the server graphs aswell? 

it is not only the /who, but the server population file people use for their tools.

I'm always hiding on deed, so there's actually no need for me to check the server pop.

Doesn't that mean we would be forced to disable the server graphs aswell? 

it is not only the /who, but the server population file people use for their tools.

Yeah, sorry I wasn't very clear, that's what I meant by keeping the pop numbers internal.

I should wait until after I've eaten to post during my lunch break.

this would just make someone keep checking login server not really fixing

since I can just click wurm let it pop up and see how many online