Sign in to follow this  
Shakatra

What is your favorite thing about Wurm?

The compensation given out.  I think it's great.

6. Living, breathing world and the freedom. I log in, I can go hunting, I can sail or swim, I can visit my neighbors, I can travel, I can make things, etc. In other games, you spend many hours braving impossible dungeons with 40 other people for that next level of pants. Here, you just log in and... live. Something charming about that :)

I don't have to play a healer!

(unless Valdor comes to visit)

• Like 2

Great staff =)

[our volunteers do more than paid staff in other games :ph34r:]

Trees and bushes for sure.

They are the one thing that is absolutely unique about this game, the dynamic of how they spread.

Also other aspects of the living world, especially how animals have a persistent existence so you can not just stuff 5 mounts into your backpack. Hardly any other game is so consequent with that.

Sailing is good too. 

• Like 1

i can't get into any other game now. 

Isn't that the truth... I also have trouble getting into any other game now. Not that I mind.

For instance, I was looking closely at Elder Scrolls Online lately. Gorgeous game. Awesome world that we all know and love. But as soon as I see questing, where you have to deliver something to someone else, or gather something for someone, or free someone to get a reward or better pants... well... I can't go back to that anymore :) The game is trully gorgeous. But I can't build anything, I can't put a house in any of those beautiful places I find, I can't dig. I see ships, but I can't sail them. Everything seems just like decoration :)

Yea, Wurm ruined it for other women. I mean... games!

• Like 5

I have one particular deed that I enjoy the most. Even though it has been several years there, I can still see the transformation I have made from that hilly mound of grass with only a few trees scattered about. Several wolves were roaming about which needed to be lured off in order to place it. My alt who placed it is currently the mayor, who I have always kept premium and he has become quite capable of building it further, maintaining it, as well as adding small improvements here and there.

It all just came together in a very natural way, without specific plans, unfolding further as it was being built. Both day and night I find it a very pleasant environment to stroll around within. At times I just enjoy standing in certain spots, gazing slowly around in different directions, almost as if I am a new visitor myself to this place.

Wurm offers me and others this creative opportunity, to create something out of a blank slate of a vision yet to be seen within the minds eye. Then over time it is revealed, perhaps even to the creators surprise. That it can last and be further enhanced over the years adds to that appeal. Then each day life can be set aside for a while and these brief interludes can be spent in peaceful reflection of what is yet to come, or what has already.

Perhaps I will create another place like this within Xanadu beside a quiet lake, that others can pass through on their journeys from here to there. It will reflect a welcome in itself, as a spot to rest for a while. A refuge from Wurm's wild ways. Although I may then after be long gone to parts unknown, my hand will not need to be extended for others to feel the welcome there.

Safe Travels,

=Ayes=

• Like 3

Nice topic :).

The skill system is the best thing for me. Being able to level up any skill without any kinds of limitations, without any caps. Hell, if I want to spend 10 years raising up every single skill in the game? My choice and my freedom! Ultima Online was close to this, however it had a skill cap of 700 points which forced you to basically make several different characters that specialized in something. So glad Wurm doesn't have that!

• Like 2

That is SO beautiful, Ayes.

I have one particular deed that I enjoy the most. Even though it has been several years there, I can still see the transformation I have made from that hilly mound of grass with only a few trees scattered about. Several wolves were roaming about which needed to be lured off in order to place it. My alt who placed it is currently the mayor, who I have always kept premium and he has become quite capable of building it further, maintaining it, as well as adding small improvements here and there.

It all just came together in a very natural way, without specific plans, unfolding further as it was being built. Both day and night I find it a very pleasant environment to stroll around within. At times I just enjoy standing in certain spots, gazing slowly around in different directions, almost as if I am a new visitor myself to this place.

Wurm offers me and others this creative opportunity, to create something out of a blank slate of a vision yet to be seen within the minds eye. Then over time it is revealed, perhaps even to the creators surprise. That it can last and be further enhanced over the years adds to that appeal. Then each day life can be set aside for a while and these brief interludes can be spent in peaceful reflection of what is yet to come, or what has already.

Perhaps I will create another place like this within Xanadu beside a quiet lake, that others can pass through on their journeys from here to there. It will reflect a welcome in itself, as a spot to rest for a while. A refuge from Wurm's wild ways. Although I may then after be long gone to parts unknown, my hand will not need to be extended for others to feel the welcome there.

Safe Travels,

=Ayes=

• Like 1

-- The first person perspective in conjunction with the almost** completely mutable 3d world. And the things we change remain that way until either AI decay or another changes them. This lasting player built experience adds so much to Wurm.

-- For me there is always something to do. Sure once you've mined one cave tile you've done them all. Although, its just different when I'm making things like cave canal, cave harbor, surface mining a above ground canal.

-- Lastly is the time it takes to do things. Although, I'm actually not sure I like this part but it does explain why I play Wurm more the Minecraft. My Wurm goals take lot more time then Minecraft.

**I say "almost" because a fantasy world filled with magic could easily do things we can't now. example would be make tar, clay or peat, build up STEEP rock  formations.

The ability to create a spot for myself where I can log in and just say ahhhhh.  No drama, no people to deal with, nothing I absolutely must do, nobody I have to talk to...the freedom to relax with total control over my own space, and where everything is almost perfect.  I just can't do that in the real world.

• Like 2

Twilite wins hands down, just about the best post I've read. I would like to add looting, stealing, killing...and when you're done being a pirate, relax and go fishing in your boat and drink homemade wine.

• Like 1

Treasure hunting in old disbanded deeds :)

and exploring :)

• Like 2

The fact that you are nothing more than a cog in a much greater and meaningfull world than in any other MMO.

The ability to be creative. Whether it's creating beautiful houses or terraforming.. And most def the amazing friends I have made along the way!

• Like 2

For sure terraforming and building are a key aspect of wurm, but in the end is not just one or 2 features, but a group of things that pull wurm apart form the rest, like no clases/races, almost everything in the game is player made, from that huge castle to that humble needle, etc.

There are games out there already live or incoming with some of the features of wurm and some that wurm doesn´t have yet, but honestly most fail at one or another point, like no one have the freedom at terraforming, or a lot have player housing but you end either building/buying the same model house than 1k other people and/or planting it in a few selected/limited and overcrowded areas. Or you are restricted to a fixed set of races and/or have to choose an arbitrary set of skills, etc. On most games you carry a herd of horses/tigers/salamanders/whatever mount in your pocket while in wurm you have to capture raise/buy a horse or even capture a wild one, etc, etc.

Of course Wurm is not perfect, probably can use a better interface, better graphics, engine optimizations, more depth in some skills/trades, real 3d terrain and mines, etc. But overall is a game like no other.

• Like 1

The fact that you are nothing more than a cog in a much greater and meaningfull world than in any other MMO.

... a cog?

The freedom of it, you're not constrained to building the same thing on the same plot as everybody else. It feels like you've accomplished something. Also seeing the improvements to gameplay and graphics since I started is great. When the new trees replaced the old stick things it was glorious! One of the few games that isn't just about killing the same creature 2345678976754 times for levels. [Though you're free to do that for fs.] I always preferred crafting and exploration anyway, On a last note, everybody is so friendly and helpful :) One of the nicest communities I know.

Trees, seeing things other people built, and finding stuff (such as animals) while exploring.

Surprises. Wurm can and will surprise you at any possible moment!

Yesterday I went on a spontaneous exploration trip that turned into one of my greatest Wurm experiences so far. I decided (as I sometimes do) to check out a part of the map I've never been to before. My own deed is placed in a hard-to-access place and I seek inspiration from people who build in similar circumstances. I also love to find out what lies hidden in those uncharted parts of the map. Is it truly empty, or are there any hidden deeds?

Turns out that after checking out the area and visiting some very amazing and beautiful deeds (both on and off the map), I decide to head further inland to a spot that judging from the map would look interesting perhaps to place a deed. In that wilderness, I find remnants of a road which lead me to an abandoned deed. The gatehouses have just collapsed enough to allow entry but still provide protection from wandering beasts, and the warehouse has just decayed enough to offer their contents as plunder. Amidst the ruins, I find 2 rare tools and 2 other rare items, along with BSB's full of metals I don't have access to at my place, as well as charcoal, ash, etc, etc. Wondering how to haul this treasure back home, I start looking for an access tunnel... turns out it is easy enough to find from that side. As I battle the goblins inside the tunnel, an Avatar of Fo walks along the cliff and puts his foot down in the tunnel, causing some confusion by looking like a psychedelic cave-in! At the bottom of the tunnel is a dead end in the water with some unlocked boats. The exit must have collapsed.

At this point, I enlist the aid of a guy in local who I had exchanged some friendly chit-chat with before. I knew he was new to the area (and probably the game, relatively speaking), but I also wanted to confirm that the former deed owners hadn't been seen in a while. He agrees to help and we check out what is obviously the dock below the deed. I find only one tile that could have been the exit and we both start wielding our pickaxes. And a few minutes later, the tunnel emerges with the boats inside! We both clamber up the tunnel and plan the haul back. I contribute a horse I found, and he builds a large cart. As we carry the stuff away, the Avatar of Fo is dancing with his foot in the tunnel... (as a follower of Fo, I found this to be a good omen!)

The best part is that a named key I found actually fitted one of the bigger ships in harbour. I ended my exploration by sailing home in a new ship laden with treasure, and a new friend! I had gained some points in FS and weapon skill during the day by fending off the wildlife. Dying was always a possibility, had I encountered a croc or troll with company.

I love it when spontaneous cooperation with other players happens, I know many people are busy with chores and grinding on their deeds, so kudos to everyone who is up for a change of pace. Often when that happens it involves some kind of trade, or even better, a barter.

I like that while all goods have a specific listed price for a standard sale, the barter value of any item can vary tremendously depending on the situational circumstances. Something that might be nearly worthless is suddenly a big deal when it's needed right now. I like topping off my barters with unusual items of questionable worth, that a person will take gladly just for the novelty value or because it might be traded on. But there are people on my server who have perfected these kinds of trades much more, I just occasionally like to engage them just for the fun of it. Sometimes these lead to other adventures when I'm asked for something I don't have myself, but know where to find... leading to another expedition.

I can only recommend to people to let their animals go hungry for a day and go for an expedition once in a while to meet people and see places... and find who knows what?

Edited by Marshlander
  • Like 2

I can only recommend to people to let their animals go hungry for a day and go for an expedition once in a while to meet people and see places... and find who knows what?

We all love grinding away on deed there is no doubt, but this ^ this is the most important aspect of game play for me as well.

The on deed grind is reflective of another games quest systems imo, so the exploration aspect and what you can do while out exploring is the number one preferred pass time in my book.