Sign in to follow this  
Nachtmahr

Xanadu = New Cluster

Clustered Xanadu  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have Xanadu on a new Cluster?

Hey guys!

I feel really bad about creating the probably 9001st Xanadu-Topic. (like, seriously!)

When I talked with a few friends of mine(some of them playing, some not) about Xanadu and a new start over there,

we came to the conclusion that we probably just move there IF it's a new cluster.

I'm talking about no way to move high-skilled players from either of the old clusters across the border, or items for that matter.

The reason for that is that in our opinion Wurm is the most fun when everyone has the same chance to accomplish things/establish a business!

There's of course the argument "High Skill players mean better tools for cheap for everyone"

But what if new players don't want to spend x€ on silver, or grind stone bricks for player y, just to have a chance to be on par?

Take a low skilled player and his dream of his own little village in a valley.. then make him travel through village z which features QL90 Forges/Ovens, a 7 story tower and whatnot, a few days/weeks after release.

One might get pumped up because he wants to accomplish this too

Other people might get frustrated because he'd need months to get there even on a new server.

There were a lot more things mentioned in Freedom chat about that, but I want to keep the OP just about MY opinion,

please comment your thoughts and why you'd choose either of the options.

Greetings,

Nachtmahr

EDIT: TL;DR: Xanadu, New Cluster, more fun for new players

Edited by Nachtmahr
  • Like 1

Hmmm.. hard decision. Would like to bring my main there vs starting fresh. Sadly i think that some people know the mechanics so well that the hardcore gamers will get the skill high pretty fast. So maybe delaying it for a month or so will make it. Of course no one will get the skills to 90+ in a month. Hmm.. as i said hard decision. I think Xanadu should be open for all and maybe thru portal so you can only take your skills and inv with you? So i vote no.

I voted no. As I'm fairly certain it was said that it will be joined to the older cluster (P/R having the choice) therefore making this thread pointless in my eyes.

Either way I'd want this as a server joined.

Like Argustin, i feel that many veteran players in wurm has an excellent grasp of the game mechanics and are willing to invest more money into the game, whether its through wurmshop or transferring silver (if it is possible). As such putting Xanadu will only help delay the inevitable, which may not be very long.

Yet, i would still support the concept that Xanadu be on a new cluster, since the economy at least has the chance of not being so screwed up initially, but much like pristine and release, even if Xanadu is indeed on a new cluster, the clusters would still have to merge in the end. So i would vote yes.

No. You will be connected anyways.

I voted no. As I'm fairly certain it was said that it will be joined to the older cluster (P/R having the choice) therefore making this thread pointless in my eyes.

Either way I'd want this as a server joined.

I know that it's planned to be connected already... just want to know what players think about it.

(I also know that most people who are active here in the forum will probably vote for no, as usual)

Like Argustin, i feel that many veteran players in wurm has an excellent grasp of the game mechanics and are willing to invest more money into the game, whether its through wurmshop or transferring silver (if it is possible). As such putting Xanadu will only help delay the inevitable, which may not be very long.

Yet, i would still support the concept that Xanadu be on a new cluster, since the economy at least has the chance of not being so screwed up initially, but much like pristine and release, even if Xanadu is indeed on a new cluster, the clusters would still have to merge in the end. So i would vote yes.

I'm not against merging it later on, I really think the Pristine/Release approach makes for a better start.

Playing on Release I was against the merge early on, now I wouldn't mind at all.

OP, give it up. It has already been announced that Xanadu will be part of the joined Freedom Isles cluster. Pristine and Release was PvE the isolated cluster concept which is now in a state of limbo concerning being joined to Xanadu. Makes little sense to restrict the current player base from traveling there anyway. Its been done with P&R with not the greatest results.

Whatever results this poll accumulates it will have no effect on what has already has been announced, so it is pointless as Lolly1 has said.

=Ayes=

• Like 4

There's nothing to give up, I just want to know opinions about it.

I'm also aware of the fact that a poll won't change what they decide to do.

But thanks for taking the time and posting instead of just voting no

• Like 1

I personally think.. It is to big to not connect it to all other worlds. People are not going to leave there stuff and charrs on an old cluster because they want to start over. 

Because the server is so big you wont enough players on it to make it profitable for wurm to let it exist. If you let it open for every one you get a new server community on a new server with new and experienced players on 1 server. This makes it good for new and old players to get a new start to wurm.

Old players give there experience and tips and trick to new people. The new people get to know the game alot faster and better so i think they rather stay because they know what to do and don't get bored to fast.

I would personally be dissapointed if it becomes a new cluster. Im not going to create a new charracter again since i did that 2 times now.

voted no...said it before and will say it again...Open up travel to ALL servers to everyone and stop the bull.

• Like 3

I guess the topic has the wrong headline, as this has already been decided with regards to Xanadu.

But if you are asking, if I would like a fresh start server? Hell yes!

People keep saying that veteran players (with all their knowledge on how to most efficiently grind skills) prevent new players from competing on a more level playing field on a fresh server. This is almost absolutely BS. Veterans can still only focus on one or a few skills at a time, and sure the best BS, WS and enchanter on the server in the beginning will most likely be a veteran, but with the many, many skills that Wurm offers, a new players has a much better chance at getting to be the best (or near the top) at something, unlike on the old servers where they can't even pick up puppeteering and hope to ever be the best. And on Release even the current best (of those who advertise their skills that is) BS, WS and enchanter are all players that started playing wurm on the new cluster (they were all originally well behind veterans, but those characters have all been sold to players who stopped advertising and or playing). Not to mention all the other trades that were wisely chosen by other players as trades with less competition. New players are obviously doing very well on secluded servers.

I am in no way upset, that Xanadu isn't a fresh start server. This just makes it unappealing to me, but nothing was taken away from me (this is where we tend to get upset) - I just didn't gain a new opportunity to start over. All the people who wanted new lands to settle on with old toons gained something - and I am happy for them :)

Ideally they would have released 2 new servers at the same time. One connected to the old cluster (and P/R if they vote for it) and a separate one. Then the current players might actually stop complaining, and instead focus on looking forward to whichever server they preferred. But hey - this is Wurm, so we probably still would find something to complain about. Then there is that little "minor" detail where Rolf wouldn't get what he wants: A big landrush event with big number to advertise (not split in 2) :(

• Like 1

Server needs to be joined with old cluster for more fun and trading opportunities.

Also you have access to the PvP server. We can't really do anything about the silver going to the

pockets of already rich and skill vise characters. Let us try to cope with that fact and still have fun in Wurm.

See you all on Xanaduh :)

Absolutely not! I already started over once with the release of the Pristine server and now that I've worked for over a year to build those characters up there's no way I'd start over again. I will only move to Xanadu if I can take my Pristine characters there.

• Like 1

this mentality that u can have ur little server devoid of vets is a myth.  P/R  proved with in a month  those maps was already matching the old clusters skills, except prices was alot higher and people was alot more greedy.   Those demanding fresh starts is the ones that seen this profiting and want a peice of the pie. Sorry i peed in your pie. It not happening Xanadu is meant for everyone, yall cant run and hide with all the dragon stuff, u gonna actually have to compete against very skilled players this time.   Ya wanna make money,  best get those chars into gear  cuz ya got real competition now.

• Like 2

The reason for that is that in our opinion Wurm is the most fun when everyone has the same chance to accomplish things/establish a business!

I'm unsure how you don't have the same chance to accomplish things and establish a business? 

Edited by atazs

tough luck for you and your imaginary friends, the great majority apparently likes the new new server connected, tyvm.

u gonna actually have to compete against very skilled players this time.   Ya wanna make money,  best get those chars into gear  cuz ya got real competition now.

The best part is, they don't even realize on P&R they had this already.

Sure, everyone had new characters.

Sure, everyone had a "fair" start.

Not everyone had fair knowledge.

Vet's took over P&R within a month, and have dominated it since. new players don't care though for the most part, because they don't realize how many vet's are on there server.

The argument that people have with new players being out of the market is just not true. on a new cluster, you have a few weeks before you will, again, be in the same exact place. your chances are actually better off joining the old cluster then the new. Cheaper, better, Faster, and you'll likely be helped by the players more. (However, the staff seem to be better on P&R - mostly because of how many are over there to help)

at the end of the day, a vet is going to level 1-90 in skills faster then a new player with no knowledge, time, or tools to do so.

Edited by Druidnature
  • Like 1

Absolutely not! I already started over once with the release of the Pristine server and now that I've worked for over a year to build those characters up there's no way I'd start over again. I will only move to Xanadu if I can take my Pristine characters there.

I share this feeling

I'm unsure how you don't have the same chance to accomplish things and establish a business? 

You can't seriously be claiming that a fresh toon has the same chance to establish a profitable (yeah you left that out) business as a character that is 9 years ahead in skills? A fresh toon does have a chance to establish a business selling bricks and mortar, and whatever else veterans can't be bothered with making, but are you seriously claiming that they have the SAME chance? If that is the case, then there is no reason whatsoever to allow old toons on a fresh server, since you will all have the same chance if you make a new character as well....

You can't seriously be claiming that a fresh toon has the same chance to establish a profitable (yeah you left that out) business as a character that is 9 years ahead in skills? A fresh toon does have a chance to establish a business selling bricks and mortar, and whatever else veterans can't be bothered with making, but are you seriously claiming that they have the SAME chance? If that is the case, then there is no reason whatsoever to allow old toons on a fresh server, since you will all have the same chance if you make a new character as well....

Actually, yes, yes they do.

Currently happening on deli between 2+ people, both new toons, 1 is a old vet, the other not, and both own the market for a good majority...

And I really wish people stopped focusing on the market, Honestly, I wish there was none at this point, it's annoying how limited things are due to it. Some of us wish to play on the new map simply to be away from everyone else, keep to ourselves, on are already-built up characters...

So you either screw up the already poor market, or from the looks of it, the majority of players moving there.

Anyone has a fair chance at the market, a new or old player, if they advertise themselves enough. if they're friendly and can get along and make good chat, even better! It's not all about skills: it's more about reputation in this game. and skills, do not = reputation.

• Like 3

How unfair would it be if afte playing the game, and developing my skills and connections to be a wurm business man, a fresh alt would be just as competitive as I am (I dont even sell dirt, this is just theory)

Lithien, this game is mostly about skills, people invest money and time in developing their skills, thats a huge part of the game, and watching those skills grow and become better assets,  I would belive that "selling s*it for coin" is the small part of the game, almost a residue of playing the game.

• Like 1

I don't really get the hate that people have against veteran players.  I have one character that has been me since I started playing Wurm, the character progression is a big part of the game for me.

Veteran players have a lot of time invested into their account, and I don't want to create alts to grind the same skills I have done before. Maybe we should just reset everyone's skills when a new person registers?

I can't think of another MMO where they just flatout exclude higher skilled players from accessing new content.

The best part is, they don't even realize on P&R they had this already.

Sure, everyone had new characters.

Sure, everyone had a "fair" start.

Not everyone had fair knowledge.

Vet's took over P&R within a month, and have dominated it since. new players don't care though for the most part, because they don't realize how many vet's are on there server.

The argument that people have with new players being out of the market is just not true. on a new cluster, you have a few weeks before you will, again, be in the same exact place. your chances are actually better off joining the old cluster then the new. Cheaper, better, Faster, and you'll likely be helped by the players more. (However, the staff seem to be better on P&R - mostly because of how many are over there to help)

at the end of the day, a vet is going to level 1-90 in skills faster then a new player with no knowledge, time, or tools to do so.

For what it's worth - it seems the vets prefer Pristine over Release, and those 2 servers seem to be very different although joined. Now tell me which vets are dominating the market on Release?

And at the end of the day, those vets who moved over may have more knowledge (although you can get a lot of that by just reading wiki and forums), but what makes you think vets have more time or tools to get to 90 when they didn't get to bring the tools with them, and last I checked daily playtime has never depended on how long you have played a game.

Playtime does however play a big part on a fresh server. A new player with lots of playtime has a better chance than a vet with limited playtime.