Sign in to follow this  
Alec

Committee Appreciation Thread

Lets talk a bit about the committee.

Do you think that its working right now?

If it is working, do you think if that they had something to do with this last drama(the FCC/deed stuff right now?

Do you think that the committee would be able to avoid more wide-scale dramas in the future(bashur drama, reinforced mines drama, FCC drama...etc)?

May the committee avoid more Rolfish decision and changes?

Do you think that the committee will improve your particular cluster and play style?

Of what kind of player do you think is the majority of the committee(PvP/PvE, old or more newer player... etc)?

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Shrimpiie, April 28, 2014 - Removed - Unncessary
Hidden by Shrimpiie, April 28, 2014 - Removed - Unncessary

Popcorn, get yer popcorn here.   1s a bucket, fresh hot popcorn.

<settles back with a huge bucket of popcorn>

Well this should be good.

C'mon guys, don't be so cold.

I was curious about what people thinks now that we have a committee, and how it will affects the development of the game.

Not all games have a committee and I want to see what people thinks now that we have one.

And of course I'm interested on how things will develop with its help.

There's a committee now?

If it is working, do you think if that they had something to do with this last drama(the FCC/deed stuff right now?

Do you think that the committee would be able to avoid more wide-scale dramas in the future(bashur drama, reinforced mines drama, FCC drama...etc)?

Nope. There's going to be a fuss with any major change that is going to significantly alter someone's playstyle to something they don't want. The more people that it affects the bigger the fuss. However having a committee does give people someone new to blame for all the changes they don't like.

Do you think that the committee will improve your particular cluster and play style?

Of what kind of player do you think is the majority of the committee(PvP/PvE, old or more newer player... etc)?

In the end it's just about having people sift through the ideas and presenting stuff to the devs right? Still the same people making the decisions. They just need to put less effort themselves in dealing with the player feedback. A bias in the committee can skew what stuff they report but it's not going to change what the devs are interested in changing. If the devs are interested in fixing PvP and there is a PvE bias in the committee then they're just not going to be presented with all the player ideas and wing it anyway as they've typically done and a similar thing if the bias goes the other way and the devs want to add more PvE content.

Edited by Theodis
  • Like 5

View hidden Post

Popcorn, get yer popcorn here. 1s a bucket, fresh hot popcorn.

dang, beat me to it...

butter, extra buttah here!

I think it will end up just like the last one..... A Complete Joke.

• Like 1

Terrible. They were corrupt before they were even picked. Only looking out for themselves.

• Like 1

There's a committee now?

Nope. There's going to be a fuss with any major change that is going to significantly alter someone's playstyle to something they don't want. The more people that it affects the bigger the fuss. However having a committee does give people someone new to blame for all the changes they don't like.

In the end it's just about having people sift through the ideas and presenting stuff to the devs right? Still the same people making the decisions. They just need to put less effort themselves in dealing with the player feedback. A bias in the committee can skew what stuff they report but it's not going to change what the devs are interested in changing. If the devs are interested in fixing PvP and there is a PvE bias in the committee then they're just not going to be presented with all the player ideas and wing it anyway as they've typically done and a similar thing if the bias goes the other way and the devs want to add more PvE content.

This is the kind of detailed feedback I was looking for, thanks.

View hidden Post

Popcorn, get yer popcorn here.   1s a bucket, fresh hot popcorn.

best changes of late i've ever seen, tbh.  B)

Considering there are a wide number of moderately informed forum members (or clueless ones like me) expressing that they had no idea we have a committee, or what it does...

I think that's pretty telling on its effectiveness to the average player (consider the reams ingame who barely look at the forums).

Who elected them? Why were they elected? What power do they have? And over who?

Edited by Sevenless
  • Like 4

Considering there are a wide number of moderately informed forum members (or clueless ones like me) expressing that they had no idea we have a committee, or what it does...

I think that's pretty telling on its effectiveness to the average player (consider the reams ingame who barely look at the forums).

Who elected them? Why were they elected? What power do they have? And over who?

rofl or team did, Nobody knows exactly, Nobody knows, and nobody knows.

They just give there opinions on suggestions and forward suggestions as far as I know. (or only the ladder? I can't even remember.)

Nope, nope, nope, nope, and nope. 

Lets talk a bit about the committee.

1. It's not working as it's the same now as it was before it.

2. None of the suggestions made in the posts leading to this were considered. Suggestions were never wanted. Committee, player, or otherwise.

3. No again. Asking for suggestions is simply making a statement with a question mark. I do not see suggestions to these questions being incorporated so they are not really taken which means future drama will not be avoided.

4. No again. They do not have veto power over Rolf. They shouldn't either. It IS his game whether you agree with his decisions or not.

5. No again. They can't fix bugs that will improve things many fold.

6. Do you really want people to go there? hahaha

EDIT: Belthize, I will take 2 popcorns. Do you deliver?

Edited by Audrel

To be fair, it is just as possible they said the exact opposite as what is currently at the center of the "drama-storm".  Unfortunately there is no visibility into the process for us to know for sure if the "council" even exists.  It is just as easy for management to use this "ghost org" as a scapecoat in cases where a decision draws too much heat.

Only the council members and the staff members involved know for sure.

• Like 1

I have never seen any announcement by the Wurm staff that a Committee has been formed. Until I read a link provided to this effect I see this as just another rumor with as little validity as the one that claimed the other servers were going to be closed as a result of Xanadu opening. So to even comment further on this thread about it is pointless, other than to say the forming of it has not been officially announced.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

I have never seen any announcement by the Wurm staff that a Committee has been formed. Until I read a link provided to this effect I see this as just another rumor with as little validity as the one that claimed the other servers were going to be closed as a result of Xanadu opening. So to even comment further on this thread about it is pointless, other than to say the forming of it has not been officially announced.

=Ayes=

Player interactions

This is an area we have been falling a bit short on and I know that many of you have opinions on how this should be done.

But let me just start of by saying that processing the amount of information that thousands of voices create is no easy task, especially when it comes to long debates around topics.

For that matter, grading the sense of urgency different topics have from your perspective.

And we want to be has fair as possible and give everyone equal attention and chance of being heard.

So in the interest of this, we are enlisting help to process the suggestions thread. And yes, a group has already gathered for this though it is still in the process of formally starting.

This will help us to get more summarized suggestions with pros and cons from a player perspective, cross kingdoms and pvp, pve standpoint.

Those enlisted will only help propagate suggestions from the forum and will not make new suggestions themselves in the group.

As suggestions will be summarized with points from everyones perspective any bias will find its balance from other parties.

Source: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/98563-news-update-work-and-progress-week-13/

Edit: I want to add that this is from March 27th, when the committee was finally(?) "gathered", so I think they would probably started to work the next week or the next month.

But I like that everyone thinks that the committee is not even formed yet, gotta love Code Club updates.

Edited by Alec

Source: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/98563-news-update-work-and-progress-week-13/

Edit: I want to add that this is from March 27th, when the committee was finally(?) "gathered", so I think they would probably started to work the next week or the next month.

But I like that everyone thinks that the committee is not even formed yet, gotta love Code Club updates.

It is good to have read this link then that states: "a group has already gathered for this though it is still in the process of formally starting."

To me this indicates that people have been chosen for this "Committee" but they have accomplished nothing since they have not "formally started" doing anything (as of that time). Since we have been informed of nothing further concerning this I don't see how they could be "Appreciated" as your thread title would imply. Then the answer to all of your questions within the OP would be: No Way To Know.

If we have never been informed of this Committee even starting to filter the suggestion thread how could we make any further valid judgments as to their effectiveness; therefore, until we are officially informed about what they are actually doing it will only be speculation on the points in your OP. With this in mind, any response is as valid or invalid as another.

I have no idea what they may or may not do, how helpful they will be or what they can or can not accomplish until they start functioning and some results are brought forth to assess. Perhaps others enjoy making wild guesses as to these points but to me they are pointless since they are not based upon situations that are actually occurring.

Not to be too picky here but I prefer to deal with reality in certain respects such as this Committee and its functioning, rather than dreaming up scenarios that fit into my particular way of thinking. So lets wait until we are informed that they are starting to filter suggestions, as well as further information on how the Committee is set up to function and what they have accomplished. If this Committee keeps us totally in the dark about such matters then we have no way to assess anything about it.

=Ayes=

It is good to have read this link then that states: "a group has already gathered for this though it is still in the process of formally starting."

To me this indicates that people have been chosen for this "Committee" but they have accomplished nothing since they have not "formally started" doing anything (as of that time). Since we have been informed of nothing further concerning this I don't see how they could be "Appreciated" as your thread title would imply. Then the answer to all of your questions within the OP would be: No Way To Know.

If we have never been informed of this Committee even starting to filter the suggestion thread how could we make any further valid judgments as to their effectiveness; therefore, until we are officially informed about what they are actually doing it will only be speculation on the points in your OP. With this in mind, any response is as valid or invalid as another.

I have no idea what they may or may not do, how helpful they will be or what they can or can not accomplish until they start functioning and some results are brought forth to assess. Perhaps others enjoy making wild guesses as to these points but to me they are pointless since they are not based upon situations that are actually occurring.

Not to be too picky here but I prefer to deal with reality in certain respects such as this Committee and its functioning, rather than dreaming up scenarios that fit into my particular way of thinking. So lets wait until we are informed that they are starting to filter suggestions, as well as further information on how the Committee is set up to function and what they have accomplished. If this Committee keeps us totally in the dark about such matters then we have no way to assess anything about it.

=Ayes=

Erhm, this thread is not only about what they did or about what they are doing, but about what they will do and about what they do will affect us. So please, read the rest of the post and not only the title.

But if you don't want to talk about it, its cool, you will when we get informed of what they are doing.

Almost a month has already pass since then, and we still don't know nothing about them, another reason for this thread as I don't like to make pointless threads, usually.

=Ayes=

Considering none of the player base can agree on what level of transparency the council should be expected to have, I seriously doubt that we will have been told anything until after they've started.

There have been a couple of threads asking for more details on how this group is supposed to function and what the full scope of their "power" is.  We've not even been told if they are simply reporting on what they feel are the "hot" suggestion forum items as individuals, or if they are performing some form of review process as a group.

All that's been said is they will report to the staff, and they shouldn't be promoting their own threads/ideas.  No way for use to verify though since we don't know what is (if anything) is being presented to the staff for review.

If they want to keep the participant secret, how hard is it to have one of the staff assigned to post the "councils" list of topics (once they've submitted something to the staff) so we, as a player base, can at least see where attention is being directed?

Edited by Hussars

I knew this committee was a bad idea.  Makes people think this is a democracy and they have a vote.  It's a business, get over it.  If we never hear anything about what the committee is doing, that is Rolf's right as owner.

• Like 4

They are going to close other servers when Xanadu opens? oh no.

I knew this committee was a bad idea.  Makes people think this is a democracy and they have a vote.  It's a business, get over it.  If we never hear anything about what the committee is doing, that is Rolf's right as owner.

I agree, but would be nice for the staff to come out and say that instead of dragging their feet on committing to anything.