Sign in to follow this  
Neandra

Server Specific Resources

We were talking in Pristine earlier and someone was wanting to sail to Release but felt they didn't have a compelling enough reason. The conversation then kind of led into the idea that it would be cool to have certain resources specific to a server, such that people would then have a reason to sail from say Pristine to Release. These resources specific to a server would serve the purpose of generating some trade (and people skilled in obtaining and transporting them.) The ideas we tossed out were server specific ores, possibly stones, woods, and animals. It was thought it would not be possible to transfer the animal itself but rather resources such as ivories, furs, etc. 

• Like 1

Firstly, we need cart, wagon and sailing skills.

Secondly, no. Some servers are far away and large. Regional on Xanadu, maybe.

That is the point. Far away increases rarity as few will make the trip. Rarity increases the resource value and give people a compelling reason to go there.

Firstly, we need cart, wagon and sailing skills.

Secondly, no. Some servers are far away and large. Regional on Xanadu, maybe.

First of all Neandra was talking about me i wanted to sail to Release but i couldnt think of 1 reason why I would go other then I wanted to, so I ended up not going. And you can load carts and stuff on ships and Dur you would need sailing skills how do you sail to another island without them(someone didnt use there brains there). Also Dur they are far away but i still wanted to sail there for the fun of it and then I thought all id do is sail there run around the coasts and sail back that sounded pointless... There are traders that go back and forth bringing resources so why not give them something else to bring? Give someone else a reason to sail there? More variety in this game? I think its wonderful. +1 from me

Edited by Mirai

It's a nice idea in a vacuum but if actually implemented the vast majority of the player base would scream about the work and unfair requirement that they have to 1) travel, 2) pay to win, e.g. get a boat, etc etc etc.

The player base can not abide any sense that group A has something group B doesn't.

Edited by belthize

No to having any resources restricted to one server only. People who want to take the time to sail to other servers will do so, those that don't wont. in spite of having a resource there that they can't obtain on their own server. All this will do is create a higher value for that resource and make it more saleable in return; but, since you stated that this aspect was not your intent, then it should not be pursued for that benefit. If this is your intent, then again I say No to denying players on other servers this resource just to benefit those upon the server who have it.

Many players find that traveling by boat to other servers is extremely boring and consumes up vast amounts of time that they would prefer to devote to other more enjoyable aspects of the game; thus, they will avoid it at all costs. If the concern is to create more reason to travel to other servers then a better approach would to be to enable options to travel to them in a fraction of the time it takes at present. Until this is done players that would otherwise wish to visit their friends on other servers or explore their different wonders, will not do so.

=Ayes=

Ok first of all A may have something B doesnt but guess what? B has something A doesnt which evens it out. Second we didnt say it was a resource that would put one island WAY ahead of people from another island just things like different types of decoration items or pelts to make different types of rugs out of. You cant tell me a guy with a tiger rug is going to be supreme overlord over someone without one? Not to mention some people love sailing for example me or one of my friend.

No to having any resources restricted to one server only. People who want to take the time to sail to other servers will do so, those that don't wont. in spite of having a resource there that they can't obtain on their own server. All this will do is create a higher value for that resource and make it more saleable in return; but, since you stated that this aspect was not your intent, then it should not be pursued for that benefit. If this is your intent, then again I say No to denying players on other servers this resource just to benefit those upon the server who have it.

Many players find that traveling by boat to other servers is extremely boring and consumes up vast amounts of time that they would prefer to devote to other more enjoyable aspects of the game; thus, they will avoid it at all costs. If the concern is to create more reason to travel to other servers then a better approach would to be to enable options to travel to them in a fraction of the time it takes at present. Until this is done players that would otherwise wish to visit their friends on other servers or explore their different wonders, will not do so.

=Ayes=

It's a nice idea in a vacuum but if actually implemented the vast majority of the player base would scream about the work and unfair requirement that they have to 1) travel, 2) pay to win, e.g. get a boat, etc etc etc.

The player base can not abide any sense that group A has something group B doesn't.

+1 to having to sail for stuff.

You can load a cart on your ship, and sailing isn't a skill, so what gives? This would create a vast net of merchants trading resouces, as well as a job. People would offer services to transport huge load of materials. It would increase the social aspect of the game tenfold. And some people might even buy deeds in different servers, just to have an steady supply. I see no downside to this idea, 

Of course, some people will complain.. but the main complain I see here is "people don't want to sail". Well, have a new type of merchant, the "stock merchant" cheap to buy, but can only sell certain stuff, and sells in bulk.

I see this as a nice option for decorative items that are craftable. Like the new canopy bed, need silk from one server, mahogany from a different server, down feathers from yet another server, etc. pure luxury items that can take place of normal item but has no unique attributes other than appearance. Like the canopy bed functioning as a normal bed.

Dur ... Dur ... Dur ... Dur

Sailing and driving skills you gain, which improve your speed and handling.

The distances is talking about newbies and they being able to get along. For most veterans just too big a head ache to please just a few.

With my luck i bet my server end being the lead source...

Something like this was done in the past and didn't work then and it won't work now.

I feel it could work, as long as past mistakes (like Rasu points out) are avoided. The main issue in the past was that vital resources were regionalized (like high ql ores were only available on one server back in the day).

Imagine if the regional resources only have a cosmetic difference. For example, new wood types which look different but are just equal to Pine stats wise. Same for stone types, like marble. Animals could also work, but again only if their resources are limited to a cosmetic purpose (different looking leather armors for example). New regional ores should be equal to iron stats wise, and just give a different look to your tools/weapons/armor.

I would not want to see more emphasis on trade without more mechanics/tools to enable trade.

IE hardcoded player contracts for moving things. Etc.

Would be interesting, maybe stuff like adamantite and whatnot could be added as a server-specific item, thus creating a bigger flow of players. Or simply change the concentration of specific resources on some servers (like add extra zinc on inde, extra gold on inde, etc).

Some days it's all I can do to find the time to brush my herd and tend my farm.  Now you want me to have to sail to another server just to get resources?  No.

I'm all for compelling reasons for cross-server trade.  However you are trying to forcibly COMPEL us to do so.

We actually had something like this once.  When it was JKH and Wild, you could only get ores to 50 ql on JKH, you had to go to Wild or trade to get higher.  Most everyone on JKH resented that, and it created a cartel for ores that the Wild players made a fortune with.  Overall it held the game back.  Don't want to see that again.

We actually had something like this once.  When it was JKH and Wild, you could only get ores to 50 ql on JKH, you had to go to Wild or trade to get higher.  Most everyone on JKH resented that, and it created a cartel for ores that the Wild players made a fortune with.  Overall it held the game back.  Don't want to see that again.

That's different.

I at least am thinking of optional resources, not the basic ones that you need that would force you to move around.

Simply stuff that can either have small different bonus, or even simply aesthetic value (like ores that give different looks to armor) so as to promote a flow of players and goods between servers.

Not capping resources on some servers and force people to move around to get stuff they need. This is more of a way to "force" people to travel/purchase stuff they simply "want".

At least that's how i read the initial suggestion.

Edited by KanePT

The problem is, what resource would you want to put in that is 'optional', and why would you bother?  Resources get put in because they have a use, and everyone wants it then.  Optional items generally are never used.  For instance, how often does anyone use walnuts?  You can harvest them, but so what?  No special use for walnuts, so they mostly go unused, except for maybe skilling by harvesting.  Then they get tossed away.

Edited by Vroomfondel

Because sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don-

*slaps self in face*

Errrmm...nevermind.  :ph34r:

Edited by Proximo

With sprouts and forestry, regional woods would be difficult to enforce and easily circumvented or changed. Whenever I find pines I turn them into something useful.

Edited by Kamill

Only way you could do regional wood type stuff is basically have a secondary resource come off cut trees. IE Green lichen rarely produced in Release, Yellow in pristine.

Unless certain trees would simply die when planted out of server?

Edited by Sevenless

The regional resource could have a low drop rate on other servers, for instance think of salt.

Then, on one server you have pretty rare veins of salt... which when mined have a much higher drop rate.

Now we just need 4-5 other resources... tobacco, which could be used to tame bees. :P

What else... I'm not sure a special animal (such as a tiger) could be implemented just on one server without a huge outcry...

Sailing and driving skills you gain, which improve your speed and handling.

The distances is talking about newbies and they being able to get along. For most veterans just too big a head ache to please just a few.

Ok tell me what newb in a shack is looking for tiger skin rugs? Or other decorative items