Sign in to follow this  
Garen

Xanadu Regionalization with Biomes

Xanadu is big. So big, that I hope it has biome zones like a planet. In the north, its colder and has fur trees and birch trees. In the far northern coast, the land should naturally revert back to tundra tiles. In the central region, it should be temperate. On the far southern edges of the server, make the tiles auto convert back to desert or steppe. I'm hoping there will be steppes several times the size of independence, and maybe a desert that is 36km across or something crazy like that. Imagine getting lost in a sea of sand, with no forested mountains in the distance.

Each biome should have different resources, so you play the game differently. In deserts and steppes, there is little wood so you have to make houses out of adobe. Perhaps growing crops in the desert is impossible without watering them with water from wells. Biome specific plants can be developed, like dates in the desert. In the southern hot portion of the map, there even could be a rainforest region several times the size of Independence. of course, every biome has its own native fauna and flora. With the addition of more alchemy potions, certain ingredients could be found in only certain regions, which makes them a valuable trade commodity in regions where they aren't found. Remove these items from the mailing system to maximize this effect.

Edited by Garen
  • Like 5

To late anyway i'd take a guess, pretty sure they already have the map made, probably just refining it mostly.

To late anyway i'd take a guess, pretty sure they already have the map made, probably just refining it mostly.

Most likely, but it's an awesome idea.

There are so many things like this that ought to be implemented before a new massive map that's expected to become the bread and butter of Wurm is launched.

• Like 1

There are so many things like this that ought to be implemented before a new massive map that's expected to become the bread and butter of Wurm is launched.

I disagree, Currently I love how wurm is... if you want a "desert" biome, you can go make it yourself (literally) though it would be nice to have a few more..."desert" themed things for players to put in, so we actually have a REAL desert, not just dirt that's a different color.

in general, this would be so nice and would give people more reasons to trade also outside of main cities and just tools and armor :) +1

I disagree, Currently I love how wurm is... if you want a "desert" biome, you can go make it yourself (literally) though it would be nice to have a few more..."desert" themed things for players to put in, so we actually have a REAL desert, not just dirt that's a different color.

That's my point; We need "real" deserts. And real steppe, real tundra, real mountains and whatnot. I.E regions that are "aware" of what they're supposed to be, not just a collection with an arbitrary texture that sits oblivious of its context in the world. The game world needs to have a life of its own and not only react to what players do to it.

-1 to regional resources however. Varying scarcity would work (and resistance to players attempting to change that scarcity), but simply blocking certain types of resources from appearing in certain areas would just be a pain.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 1

how would it work though, say, I went to a desert, destroyed it all, and replanted forest, would it ALL change? If not, then I'd still -1. however, if it changed with what I did to it, then i'd be fine.

Though ores shouldnt be changed to biomes, that needs to stay in other games....>_<

it won't make much of a difference once people start cutting and planting etc.

Why make a new forum account to post this suggestion? Xanadu is sort of like this anyway, with large areas around the spawn tokens with these different types of environments. Also, don't really care for the concept of restricting certain resources to certain parts of a huge map such as this one.

*peeks behind the curtain*

=Ayes=

it won't make much of a difference once people start cutting and planting etc.

In my opinion it should. You make a homestead in the desert with lots of trees, the desert will eventually reclaim it once you're gone. Like the forest currently does. This helps making the game world actually feel a bit more alive.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 1

+1

But I am certain that Xanadu will just be more of the same old same old, i.e. no regionality, random spawns of everything, maple trees and cherries both in the tundra and the desert etc.

Didn't players already tour Xanadu? No way they are implementing regionality.

Unfortunately that seems to be what the players want, they want Wurm to be their own lawn decorating project aka Second Life, with no natural dynamics interfering with their omnipotency.

Edited by Cista
  • Like 1

I don't like the idea of regional resources (not that it was proposed in the OP of-course) and am not too keen on only being able to farm various crops in some areas; I see things like that would just cause frustration or render parts of the map unusable.

So long as the changes are purely cosmetic and don't detrimentally effect gameplay a huge +1

One thing we need more than anything however is some sort of natural decay code; for example on the Chaos and Independence server you see places that have been abandoned for 5+ years and it's a total eyesore; code should exist that makes the land revert to it's natural state if noone modifies it for X amount of time (very generous time ofcourse) that way we can have a map that 'repairs' itself and not need to add a new one every couple of years since the existing ones are trashed. It shouldn't be up to the players to 'repair' deserts / steppes etc; they should naturally repair themselves and possibly even migrate across the server.

I guess it would be a shame to see 'history' erased but I think it'd be cool if abandoned towns on Chaos had their dirt walls collapse back into the ground and stuff.

Edited by Gavin

In my opinion it should. You make a homestead in the desert with lots of trees, the desert will eventually reclaim it once you're gone. Like the forest currently does. This helps making the game world actually feel a bit more alive.

you lost me at desert with lots of trees.

This is basically the post I made 3 years ago. Wish I could find it.

I said that "if Wurm ever gets a massive server", seperate it with biomes so its more interesting. Each biome should have different recources, and living in each region has its own unique challeneges. You shouldn't be able to go into the middle of a desert and plant a forest, because it will die out.

I remember at the time that people were spamming -1 saying that "Wurm will never get massive servers."

Lol

-1 to any unalterable terrain, we have enough with the horrible marsh.

+1 to some rationalization as long as is not game breaking, like having huge chunks of land/continents with limited use ores like lead.

wurm technically already has biomes as animals only spawn on certian areas - like sand - steppe - tundra ect ect