Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Freedom Code Of Conduct (Removal)

I got a question to you PvE guys, just what do you find so debilitating about universal PvP?   I don't think its fair to enforce in the current environment, since I highly doubt that there are many deeds anywhere in the freedom cluster that would be prepared for it, nor are the players prepared themselves for it.   

What I'm asking here ties directly with the game as a sandbox, and as a whole.   I've basically lived and worked for years on Chaos, I've not had any problems with my neighbors, and the instances of actual dispute rare, if ever ends up carrying over to action in game, except in instances of stealing.     This is a product of how my kingdom self-regulates because of the ability to take direct action against provocation.    

We don't have big sky-daddy GMs that ever told us what we couldn't do to our neighbors, we interact politely and with respect because we can kill each other, and no one wants to start that kind of silliness.  

This isn't a question if you like the current pvp system or not, or anything.  I'm just wondering if you actually can self-regulate in any meaningful way.   I don't know enough about the situation on freedom to make an informed guess.   What do ya'll think?   

Don't get me wrong I don't think that we are any better because we have less issues with each other, that situation is a direct result of our environment and may be unique to MR, and as I said Freedom is completely different.   I'm just curious about how ppl feel.    

Some Players don't want to PvP, because they don't like it, they don't enjoy it, they think it's a stupid gameplay feature that should have never been invented, they think it's mean, nasty, lowbrow, 8 Mile, they don't want to spend weeks getting their deeds just right to see it stomped into woodscraps in hours, because they want.... on and on.

For as many reasons as Players want to PvP there are also many reasons why Players won't PvP. Each is personal, each is valid.

I personally believe concepts governing morality and ethics in real life also govern our behavior on the Internet, for it's not computers that play games and spend time on FB and Twitter, it's Human Beings that do that, using computers as a tool like a telephone or a letter, or TV. I think some gameplay features we take for granted in MMOs should not be allowed anymore since similar behaviors are not allowed in real life. That means no killing, even if its just pixels, no stealing, no harassment (don't we have that rule ingame already?), etc. But where to draw the line? Who to draw it? I would rather not see a line drawn even though some things I think shouldn't be allowed. Freedom is preferable to Legalism.

I won't criticize Players for PvP and such, but I won't ever participate in it, any more than I would take a knife and stab a person in real life. I might be playing a game but the other Players are real life People just as if they were in a room with me.

Trust for me in a MMO is very problematic.There is no such thing to me as "roleplay" any more. Who I see in game is the Player, not the character. The character has no morals or ethics, or bad behavior or homicidal tendencies... the Player does. If you grief others ingame you can't blame it on your character, not with me.

Want to PvP? Cool. OK. Let's just agree to disagree and don't ask me to join and/or force PvP on me either. In return I won't ask for PvP features to be nerfed or removed, I will just ask they not be added to the Freedom Isles. I play Wurm on Freedom Isles only and if Freedom Isles becomes PvP by my definition of what PvP is, then I will leaving Wurm, for to remain playing with my point of view would be insane... not to mention a real headache.

Edited by Kyrmius
  • Like 4

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 4, 2014 - Removed - Response to now hidden post
Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 4, 2014 - Removed - Response to now hidden post

I´m not quiting, I´m not crying and I´m not a little girl so is don´t know what are you talking about.

He answered to your bait, don't expect it to be a very polite reply.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Shrimpiie, May 4, 2014 - Removed - Response to now hidden post

He answered to your bait, don't expect it to be a very polite reply.

And I was answering to someones bait then?

Here we are all happily baiting and bitting :D

View hidden Post

And I was answering to someones bait then?

Here we are all happily baiting and bitting :D

That's why I love this forum so much, it always have some kind of drama going on.

And I mean it, it since I started to stalk the forums with the B-drama, I can only recall a few weeks in which of peace on the forums, as normally devs always provide some new reason to drama about.

Undoubtedly those who push for pvp to be extended into the PvE servers have little interest in the reasons why PvE players want to have nothing to do with it. If one reviews the responses from both sides when issues such as this are discussed it is not hard to come to this conclusion.

The pvp players have their servers and the PvE players have ours. The further apart they are kept and the coding separated between the two, the better it will be for both sides. I am quite content to let them indulge in whatever pvp behavior they wish, as my intent is not to control others choice of game play as long as it does not effect mine in a negative way by pvp aspects intruding into PvE. So as long as it is kept out of my face I will have little to say in response.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes

New player enters Wurm.

New player likes the game and plans on staying.

New player tries out, builds a shack and fences in a little plot of land.

Old player (griefer or not) stumbles upon the plot and decides to destroy the 5 ql wooden fences with his 85 ql maul, taking and or killing everything.

New player is disrupted by the offensive environment and lack of GM support on the matter andleaves for good.

On a PvE server.

• Like 1

Kyrmius,

A very well reasoned and composed response. Although I wouldn't have taken my time to provide such a detailed explanation as this, since undoubtedly those who push for pvp to be extended into the PvE servers have little interest in the reasons why PvE players want to have nothing to do with it. If one reviews the responses from both sides when issues such as this are discussed it is not hard to come to this conclusion.

The pvp players have their servers and the PvE players have ours. The further apart they are kept and the coding separated between the two, the better it will be for both sides. I am quite content to let them indulge in whatever pvp behavior they wish, as my intent is not to control others choice of game play as long as it does not effect mine in a negative way by pvp aspects intruding into PvE. So as long as it is kept out of my face I will have little to say in response.

=Ayes=

He asked, so I was courteous and offered a reasonable reply. I would and have appreciated the same when offered to me in reply to questions I have asked here.

New player enters Wurm.

New player likes the game and plans on staying.

New player tries out, builds a shack and fences in a little plot of land.

Old player (griefer or not) stumbles upon the plot and decides to destroy the 5 ql wooden fences with his 85 ql maul, taking and or killing everything.

New player is disrupted by the offensive environment and lack of GM support on the matter andleaves for good.

On a PvE server.

new player dont even know he could support call it. Or things about legal enclosure.

I have seen new players grieved by perimeter over their houses too. Or just basically frustate that people mock them when they are asking simple questions, elitism at best sometimes.

He asked, so I was courteous and offered a reasonable reply. I would and have appreciated the same when offered to me in reply to questions I have asked here.

Sure, your choice. I have no qualms about *you* responding. That was just my response to your response and did not indicate that I thought that you should not respond. Still, I would again respond as I have responded but perhaps just kept the quote of your post out of the response. Actually I think I will edit my post to reflect that now (done), so as not to bring you into the situation of my response. Still, I think your response was well reasoned and thought out. This post won't change that, nor will that this, as not hit nor miss. Just in the general vicinity.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes

new player dont even know he could support call it. Or things about legal enclosure.

Almost every game has ways of getting support, wouldn't be hard to find. But I was just giving something to think about, what kind of impression this makes for people that especially join PvE because they want to avoid being assaulted by players.

I would be interested to know how many others have adopted a "wait and see" attitude towards Wurm now.  I am very new to this game, and was starting to really get into it.  Now I have halted all plans to invest anything else into this game until I see how crazy this all gets.  On one side, I see people arguing that this will have little effect on Freedom (which I hope is the case).  On the other side, I see more and more deeds falling and being disbanded (could be timing, or that I am more alert to it now), and some of my seasoned allies are preparing for the worst, considering downsizing, and looking elsewhere.

The only two issues that I have right now deal with roads/highways and perimeter. 

In my opinion this part of the Freedom CoC needs to remain in place, or be just added to the rules for Freedom.  It just doesn't make sense to me why anyone would want to completely block them off, but I am guessing that some will do it now just to prove a point.

* Building / removing / blocking roads. If someone (for whatever reason) doesn't want a road in a specific spot and they were there first kindly respect that. By the same token if you move into an area with a road, please respect that right of way and don't make massive changes / blockages to it without taking care to provide a good and obvious alternate route. If deeding across an existing road it is polite not to block it or make it hard to navigate.

Perimeter is a whole other problem.  I just don't like the idea that there is an area associated with my deed that I cannot protect, and walling it off would, imo, completely defeat the intention of having them.   With the loss of the CoC, I guess it would be fair game for someone to go around cutting trees and digging perimeter moats to level their skills.  In conclusion, with the loss of perimeter protection our perimeters should become part of our deeds.  Why do we need a 10 tile swath of land between deeds that anyone can come through and screw up?

Almost every game has ways of getting support, wouldn't be hard to find. But I was just giving something to think about, what kind of impression this makes for people that especially join PvE because they want to avoid being assaulted by players.

well they going to get a tent. The only part that going to be cons for them from no legal enclosure is when they want to keep animals.. which ratio itself already 'mess with them'.

Cool, can I have the warning removed from my account then?

+1 A removed warning for something that is no long illegal sounds fair enough. It's kind of like having a record of convictions for not doing crimes.

+1 A removed warning for something that is no long illegal sounds fair enough. It's kind of like having a record of convictions for not doing crimes.

Is not the same, if you get a record for a past crime, the derogation of the law doesn´t clear your record, it just means you will not be punished for the same action from now on.

Is not the same, if you get a record for a past crime, the derogation of the law doesn´t clear your record, it just means you will not be punished for the same action from now on.

It doesn't matter anyway. :-) It's apples to oranges. It's done and over. Time to move on and wait for the next good idea to hit. It's all about money. 

EDIT: Let me be more specific. You log in on a weekend and you see 200 to 300 less people on than you did 4 or 5 months ago. This is not an insignificant number of players when talking about Wurm. Why? Bad decisions lost players. Lost players lose income. Instead of rethinking the decision making process, you then put the screws to those who stayed by adding more bad decisions aimed at making up lost money and call it "improvements." This whole thing lately smells of money grabbing. When more numbers drop, expect more grabs. The latest? Allow non-premiums to buy deeds. If no one is making new premiums, get what you can at least by selling them deeds. For now, the game is still fun enough to overlook the grabs. We will see what comes.

Edited by Audrel

That's why I love this forum so much, it always have some kind of drama going on.

And I mean it, it since I started to stalk the forums with the B-drama, I can only recall a few weeks in which of peace on the forums, as normally devs always provide some new reason to drama about.

It's the only thing that makes the forum worth reading. It's not like anyone comes here expecting enlightenment from the devs.

• Like 3

It's the only thing that makes the forum worth reading. It's not like anyone comes here expecting enlightenment from the devs.

Thats why we have IRC.

I understood that after reading the forums for long enough.

The FCC needed to go, it was being translated too poorly by too many players and ca's, causing new players to do too many things any vet would know better than to do.  What we need now is assurances that it is being replaced with things that will keep the freedom cluster peaceful and non aggresive so that it can continue to pull in players like it has in the past.