Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Never-been premiums deed holders

Very glad to see this. A step in the right direction.

I find it highly unlikely that a player that doesn't know whether or not it'll be worth going premium will actually think "okay let's plant a deed with a monthly, non-negotiable, cost in the meantime". It's far more likely that this is an attempt to try to make people with stocked up money have to buy silver from the shop during the first week of denied access to Xanadu on their main character. Have them make an alt in order to gain access to deed planting during the first week, make it impossible for them to receive any money from the old servers and watch the temporary boost in sales from the Wurm Shop.

It might even itself out in the long run though with people buying deeds because they care more about their house than raising skills, but launching the option together with old players not being able to enter Xanadu is just making me giggle. I don't really care, but it still makes me laugh.

Edited by Aeris

for those concerned about money coming in from epic... as i understand the post here : http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/100528-news-update-work-and-progress-week-17/?p=1016960

specifically the line: "When it comes to connecting the old servers we will wait at least a week after initial release"

I believe as a player that that means that none of the old servers will be connected, epic or freedom. the epic servers certainty should count as old in this case.

So, at least a week - but the question remains "When?" Or if that is the wrong question, what is the criteria for when the servers will be joined?

The last thing we need is for the question of Pristine/Release joining the rest of Freedom to be repeated with this new server.

• Like 2

It's far more likely that this is an attempt to try to make people with stocked up money have to buy silver from the shop during the first week of denied access to Xanadu on their main character. Have them make an alt in order to gain access to deed planting during the first week, make it impossible for them to receive any money from the old servers and watch the temporary boost in sales from the Wurm Shop.

Although I take the announcement at face value that the reason for not allowing old players to cross onto Xanadu by ship at opening week is to reduce all that item lag initially; if what you suggest above is the result of doing so, I think it is a very positive adjacent effect. More sales of coins from the Wurm Shop will benefit the game income much more this way.

Also, us wise old players can just plant deeds with large perimeters as area reserves and then expand them a week or so later when the main crosses over with hoarded silver coins to be used to convert desired area to deed tiles. No big inconvenience in this respect. Heck, maybe silver can even be mailed over there to alts on the opening day, in which case your scenario won't even benefit the Wurm Shop sales for one week.

I would like to see old players able to travel there on opening day through player built Portals though, if merely for the benefit that their developed skills will provide in dealing with mobs, traveling and starting to build their first deed. I am pretty content to let it work out as the Dev's see fit, since this large server will provide virgin untouched large areas to settle upon far away from the maddening crowds.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I think I will wait a week actually.

This will give me the general idea where people are going, and where the big areas will be... So I can go the other way.

If I just rush in, plant a 100x100, then I'll likely have more smaller deeds near me...again.

So, all of you, rush in there and plant your deeds - so I know which direction to head away from all of it :3

/stay off my forest! Hehe

• Like 2

I'm thinking of finding a nice big river and dropping a deed at it.  Terraforming it up and making it some kind of trade station or boat station for those wishing to travel cheap.  Not destroying river passage of course.

Edited by Slickshot

I think I will wait a week actually.

This will give me the general idea where people are going, and where the big areas will be... So I can go the other way.

If I just rush in, plant a 100x100, then I'll likely have more smaller deeds near me...again.

So, all of you, rush in there and plant your deeds - so I know which direction to head away from all of it :3

/stay off my forest! Hehe

I can see that waiting will provide some benefits as you suggest, if one desires to be further away from others. Also more of the topography of Xanadu will be known due to others providing information about it. Perhaps even rough maps will be sketched out which will be very beneficial in this respect as well. More information in relation to terrain will certainly benefit anyone who wishes to settle there, if it is not already claimed by others.

=Ayes=

Since we received a lot of feedback requesting that you shouldn't have to purchase premium time in order to create deeds on the upcoming Xanadu server, I asked the team whether they saw many issues with letting non-premiums do that. As it looks right now we couldn't figure out any show stopper really, and it would make it a lot easier for people to settle down and enjoy the game.

One reason we have not allowed it before was that when a never-premium mayor account is deleted after three months of inactivity it causes lots of problems if the settlement remains, but other reasons could be deed griefing and hogging resources cheaply. From the feedback and preliminary discussions we had in team that should apparently not be an issue.

So basically, the current plan is to allow non-premiums to start a deed.

This helps you experienced players place a deed without having to prem up and hand it to your main account once the borders open which is the main thing we want to solve.

I can foresee a major problem is Trader's are still allowed on Xanadu,  image lot old time vetrans with their health bank account creating several f2p alt to rush to Xanadu and deed lots of land, then when doors open they dump traders on those deeds and then forget its even there (like most trader deeds)

This will take up tonnes of land that never get used (like on existing servers)... and certainly wont look good the any real new players

• Like 1

It is a silly solution to a non-problem.  You are going to let us on the server after a week, so then we can put the chars we really want there and can abandon the f2p alt after that week.  So why make us bother with an alt at all?  What big difference will 1 week make?  Stop with all the dramatic ideas and just let us go to the new server.  All the imagined problems are mostly that  - imagined.

Is it not obvious?

If you brought in your old toons, with silvers then you would just use those silvers to place your deeds. By forcing people to play with an alt, even a free one, ALL silvers on that new server for the first week MUST be bought from the store. If NOTHING is brought over from any server for a week, every single silver is bought from the store, which turns into a HUGE cash influx for them. Thats why they are willing to give you the free alt.

Everyone thinks that having this free alt is so nice of them. Its just a cover to get people to feel good about buying more silvers for a server, when they already have silvers on other servers but are not allowed to use them. Why should I have to use a free alt and buy silvers on a new sever if I have silvers on another toon that I could use, if they would just let us go there in the first place. They are not keeping experienced players out, they are not keeping high level toons out of the new server. They want to keep the old server silvers off of the server so that they can sell brand new silvers to old players.

Now this may not be their intent, I have no way of knowing, but it is the end result of what will happen. It just seems they are trying very hard to keep anything from the old servers from the new one for that one week.

Edited by gnomegates
  • Like 2

I think this is a way to get more new accounts to Xanadu at launch & more new deeds created, so they will have a more impressive press release, based on the stats gathered in the 1st week.

I think this is a way to get more new accounts to Xanadu at launch & more new deeds created, so they will have a more impressive press release, based on the stats gathered in the 1st week.

I guess I would like to know some of what they plan on doing for advertising wurm online. Most companies plan for months and advertise in advance. I wonder what Rolf's plan is to do that if they plan on releasing the new server in less then a month. What is the big media push that we can expect to see, and were should we look, or where should we point people to?

If this was true, it would just mean the stats would become more of a lie than they already are, at least in terms of player count.

A lot more alts would be active than if we were allowed to just go over via a portal or boat with item limit, on opening day.

Locking older players out for the opening will have an opposite effect on "more new deeds created". Quite a lot will most likely change their minds about deeding on Xanadu due to a week+ delay allowing us over, or the fact that they need to create an alt to get there on release day at all.

Using an alt for 1st week is not an issue...

I have never been interested in Xanadu as a new home. Was fun going over on the 1hr beta test they gave us, but I'm somewhat new and am having a great time working on my current deed. I can't imagine giving up on my projects now to start over.  That being said, if I were of a mind to head over, knowing I can make an alt to go run and deed a spot day one, solves all my issues of not being able to bring my main over right away.  In fact, with all the buffs an alt comes with, I would want to go over as a noob anyway.  Exploration is SOOOOO much easier, not having to stop every 5 tiles and kill something.  on Pristine, by day 3 of my start, I had mapped most of the shore line and had about 10 great locations picked out for my first deed. 

For those complaining it is hard with a noob to deed in the wild... not at all.  My first deed was in a very agro intense area, yet I was able to do a rough map of the area, to determine the best place to center the token, giving the best options for future expansion.  Then I made the deed in steps. Start small with Templars, drag agro, expand, drag agro, expand.  Piece of cake.

I also think this adds some fairness to the land rush phase.  If I was allowed to bring a main over, even with no items, it would take less than an hour to have a horse shoed and saddled, riding like the wind, to find places faster than any new player could hope to.  This way it is at least a fair race to get that perfect piece of land. (that 1 of thousands just like it, lol). So let Rolf get his inflated 1st week stats and go enjoy your new server.

Really, I don't see any serious downside to this plan, unless the new numbers of accounts was more than the DBs could handle, but I seriously doubt it, not when they are planning specifically for a big influx of accounts.

• Like 1

I'm honestly confused at why so many of you believe these "f2p alts" the veterans make will have money on them. lol  They will have NOTHING on them.  If I understand correctly there won't be any kind of item or money exchange from the old servers in the 1st week for Xanadu.  That means whether you're a veteran creating a new alt, or a new player creating for first account, everyone will have EQUAL opportunity to buy silver and plant a deed, period.  If new players choose not to buy deeds, that is their choice, but it DOES NOT mean they don't have the same opportunity as anyone else to put real money into the game and buy a deed.

Please I implore all of you to read that one more time.  No in-game generated silver will be buying settlement forms in Xanadu the first week out.

• Like 1

I'm honestly confused at why so many of you believe these "f2p alts" the veterans make will have money on them. lol  They will have NOTHING on them.  If I understand correctly there won't be any kind of item or money exchange from the old servers in the 1st week for Xanadu.  That means whether you're a veteran creating a new alt, or a new player creating for first account, everyone will have EQUAL opportunity to buy silver and plant a deed, period.  If new players choose not to buy deeds, that is their choice, but it DOES NOT mean they don't have the same opportunity as anyone else to put real money into the game and buy a deed.

Please I implore all of you to read that one more time.  No in-game generated silver will be buying settlement forms in Xanadu the first week out.

P&R launch begs to differ, creative types found a way to link money over via Epic to the new servers which were also supposed to be unconnected to the "old" servers.  The dev team will need to break the association between the Epic and Freedom banks (which likely means no Epic portal support as well) to keep banked coin out of this new server.

Otherwise, it'll just be a repeat of the P&R launch.

Edited by Hussars

P&R launch begs to differ, creative types found a way to link money over via Epic to the new servers which were also supposed to be unconnected to the "old" servers.  The dev team will need to break the association between the Epic and Freedom banks (which likely means no Epic portal support as well) to keep banked coin out of this new server.

Otherwise, it'll just be a repeat of the P&R launch.

This isn't P&R launch.  And they only need to break the association on this occasion for this server, not server-wide.  Either they missed it on P&R or they left it alone on purpose.  Either way, Rolf would be a fool if he left such a loop-hole active for Xanadu.  It honestly wouldn't be that hard for them to disconnect it from Xanadu.  People will pay money to the shop to get silvers on new accounts to plant deeds, can guarantee it.

Is this uhh.. for only Xanadu?

I assume it is.

I hope it is, heh.

server is up but in maintenance mode looking good :)

This isn't P&R launch.  And they only need to break the association on this occasion for this server, not server-wide.  Either they missed it on P&R or they left it alone on purpose.  Either way, Rolf would be a fool if he left such a loop-hole active for Xanadu.  It honestly wouldn't be that hard for them to disconnect it from Xanadu.  People will pay money to the shop to get silvers on new accounts to plant deeds, can guarantee it.

Are you saying if I make a premium account on Xanadu, I only get a portion of the privileges of premium?

Don't all Premium Accounts have the potential to go to the Epic servers?

If so... premium should be cheaper than normal servers as well.

Are you saying if I make a premium account on Xanadu, I only get a portion of the privileges of premium?

Don't all Premium Accounts have the potential to go to the Epic servers?

If so... premium should be cheaper than normal servers as well.

I'm saying that Xanadu will only be open and traversal by new accounts when it's first opened.  No cross-server travel, no cross-server mail.

I'm saying that Xanadu will only be open and traversal by new accounts when it's first opened.  No cross-server travel, no cross-server mail.

so... limited premium benefits?

I see both sides. I say allow nonprems to deed on Xanadu only while it's cut off from the rest of the servers.

It means new players should avoid joining Wurm for this launch, seriously, they have no chance to be competitive in a market or economy.

There is going to be a mad land rush by players who bring in coin via Epic servers and at the 1c/tile rate can purchase massive deeds, and then bring their 90+ skill mains in to set the economy.

A new player will have zero chance to make a living in that environment

Only expanding the deed has gotten cheaper. Upkeep for each tile is still the same. why does no one understand this? Upkeep is going to keep people from making too big of deeds.