Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Never-been premiums deed holders

*edit*

Edited by leaf

hmm Rolf listened to the complaints from older players and is giving us a fair chance at dropping a deed in the land rush. 

A thank you to Rolf seems appropriate to me. 

I think this is the first decision of the committee, thats why I'm keeping up with this particular drama.

I don't like it. 

All you are going to get from this is vets joining Xanadu with f2p alts, lining up at the starter village traders to buy their deed forms and heading off into the wild to snag large swathes of land at choice locations they can resell at a premium a few weeks later at 1/4 of the cost it would have been a week ago. 

The coastal areas are going to be a minefield of empty deed plots with large signs stating "FOR SALE pm wealthylandbaron" written on them or held forever by those who "may" eventually get round to doing something on Xanadu but don't have any real interest in moving. 

I really don't understand how you can go from removing enclosure rules (good) to doing away with prem requirements for deed planting (bad) while also reducing the cost of land (bad) and expect to make money off the new server.

Premium requirement is a deterrent for random deed spamming and hoarding of sweet spot territory for eventual use or resale. Take that away and you may as well not bother advertising for new players as they will quickly find they can't settle where they would like or at the very least have to buy it with a considerable markup from wealthylandbaron and chums. 

• Like 1

I really hope the change to Traders comes before Xanadu is opened... You are going to have a ton of people trying to place as many trader deeds as possible to extract as much of the deed costs on the initial rush.

If the trader fix doesn't come first... You are going to have a lot of angry people who will demand something in return for their traders...

But, I am sure the Trader fix would be pushed at the same time as Xanadu and a completely untested money distribution system will be the first test of Xanadu...

It means new players should avoid joining Wurm for this launch, seriously, they have no chance to be competitive in a market or economy.

There is going to be a mad land rush by players who bring in coin via Epic servers and at the 1c/tile rate can purchase massive deeds, and then bring their 90+ skill mains in to set the economy.

A new player will have zero chance to make a living in that environment

So I joined Wurm 2 years ago on Deliverance... into an established economy.. and started with 0 skills.  Worked for a year and got to 80+ Blacksmithing, Mining and Carpentry and was able to sell items, ore, logs and whatever in order to pay for not only my deed upkeep but have extra to go towards premium.  I did this in the midst of tons of other more experienced players and it never once occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to compete.  I have since raised a 90 miner, 90 smith and 80 Fine Carp on Pristine and done the same thing in half the time on Pristine.  Tell me - exactly where does your argument have any substantiation except for in fear?

• Like 9

Seriously, all you people complaining about landgrabbers that will have an even eaiser time of grabbing land now.

You do realize people are forced to buy silver from the shop, thats 160€/1gold (since old chars and thus old gold can't enter the server in te beginning).

How many players, really, think about it, how many players will spend a fortune on gold, to deed vast amounts of "premium-spot" land? 10? maybe 20 at max.

The server as it stands now is a multitude of independence servers in size... seriously, it'll take 200 players with 1 gold each to deed every valuable spot out there.

Rolf wants to earn money, if he would have made it "prem-only-deed" then he would loose out on allot of money. Not that many old-wurm-people want to spend euros on yet another character and then spend even more euros for building a deed.

If Rolf takes away the prem part, then he has more chance of old wurmians thinking "Hey, might as well make a freebie and stroll around on the server and deed a bit of land that catches my interest"

At least thats the effect it now has on me. I have 2 chars prem all year long (160€/year) (had 3 but the price change made me drop my third), and around 14s/month upkeep total across my deeds.

When he said old players wouldnt be able to join in the first week, I was thinking "Damn, do I really have to prem another char just to settle somewhere on Xan" and I was thus, already making up my mind to not spend any extra euros anytime soon.

But since this announcement I'm positive again, now I can just make an alt, buy some silver in the shop, and run around to place a small deed for my main to come to when the borders open.

Seriously, so much pessimism and blowing stuff way out of proportion.

• Like 9

I'm just laughing at the large amounts of complains, you guys do know you get a choice here right. rolf opens a new server and you don't have to move. you can if you want to.

It doesn't matter what he says or what rules he makes, most of you complainers will complain about something. its no wonder he doesn't give out to much info at ones. one day there is complaining that the veterans can't do anything, the next day there is complaining that veterans are allowed to come over. if any of you have been to the server when it was on test than you should know that there will be more than enough land for everyone and most likely you won't see anyone for days if you move out far enough, also there is no such thing as a coast, there are several islands from what I could see and tons of coast everywhere. not just on the outside of the server.

yes there are still some problems that they have to address, but thats why they aren't launching it yet. just give them some time and in the end it will all come together. and if you still don't like it, just stay where you are and don't move.

In my opinion rolf made the right choise here and shows that its not all about the money for him, its also about making it the best game for everyone

• Like 6

dont forget that more than likely the traders are going to change/not be allowed so you won't see 1s trader deeds it will only be deeds that players plan on using. 

Edited by Kegan

Oh and that is sarcasm btw....I am assuming that there won't be traders on the new server, as the last we heard was no changes to traders on the existing servers.

I sincerely hope that players will not be allowed to purchase and PLACE Traders upon Xanadu. With 10 starter tokens scattered about the lands there will be plenty of places to purchase Trader items from and the deed token selling mechanism will allow newer players to make a few coins as well. This saved free payout of funds from Trader draining could then even be used to cut deed upkeep costs (on Xanadu only) by 1/2 for all deed holders. The current Trader draining mechanism on the other servers can then be resolved over time without polluting this new server.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I sincerely hope that players will not be allowed to purchase and PLACE Traders upon Xanadu. With 10 starter tokens scattered about the lands there will be plenty of places to purchase Trader items from and the deed token selling mechanism will allow newer players to make a few coins as well. This saved free payout of funds from Trader draining could then even be used to cut deed upkeep costs (on Xanadu only) by 1/2 for all deed holders. The current Trader draining mechanism on the other servers can then be resolved over time without polluting this new server.

=Ayes=

There is going to have to be some mechanism to distribute coin out of the upkeep funds.... and as far as I can tell, it is untested.  Which, historically has worked great in Wurm's dev history...

There is going to have to be some mechanism to distribute coin out of the upkeep funds.... and as far as I can tell, it is untested.  Which, historically has worked great in Wurm's dev history...

Nope. I see no need to give back any of the upkeep funds to only the portion of the player base that drains them from Traders, much less to anyone really. Let the game have this income completely and in return reduce the upkeep cost by 1/2 for all deed holders on Xanadu.

I am a bit puzzled as to why you see a need to do this as mentioned in your post. This was just a system that was devised for the purpose of returning a portion of the deed upkeep to players and later found to be unsustainable and detrimental to the games profits. The fact that certain players became dependent upon it and it then in turn skewed the games economy is all the more reason not to enable this Trader draining system upon Xanadu.

=Ayes=

• Like 5

I'm just laughing at the large amounts of complains, you guys do know you get a choice here right. rolf opens a new server and you don't have to move. you can if you want to.

It doesn't matter what he says or what rules he makes, most of you complainers will complain about something. its no wonder he doesn't give out to much info at ones. one day there is complaining that the veterans can't do anything, the next day there is complaining that veterans are allowed to come over. if any of you have been to the server when it was on test than you should know that there will be more than enough land for everyone and most likely you won't see anyone for days if you move out far enough, also there is no such thing as a coast, there are several islands from what I could see and tons of coast everywhere. not just on the outside of the server.

yes there are still some problems that they have to address, but thats why they aren't launching it yet. just give them some time and in the end it will all come together. and if you still don't like it, just stay where you are and don't move.

In my opinion rolf made the right choise here and shows that its not all about the money for him, its also about making it the best game for everyone

LOL, those stupid complainers...  there is nothing to ever complain about, how dare they give negative feedback - only positive feedback is allowed!  =D

Right?

Sorry, but you've been registered for 5 months.  Maybe - just maybe - people that have been with rolf for years just might have a better insight as to his habits?  Silly thought, I know...

/sarcasm off

Complainers, noobs - see how trying to ignore large groups of people because of minor reasons could possibly be detrimental?  When the reasons have no bearing on the actual main question/problem/topic?

Edited by leaf
  • Like 1

LOL, those stupid complainers...  there is nothing to ever complain about, how dare they give negative feedback - only positive feedback is allowed!  =D

Right?

Sorry, but you've been registered for 5 months.  Maybe - just maybe - people that have been with rolf for years just might have a better insight as to his habits?  Silly thought, I know...

been registered for years, just sold my account a while ago....used to be michieldewit and made a new account so figured i'll take a forum account that goes with it

so yeah, been with rolf for years

been registered for years, just sold my account a while ago....used to be michieldewit and made a new account so figured i'll take a forum account that goes with it

so yeah, been with rolf for years

And I used to be Notch.

Claims are like a****s.  Everybody can spit stuff out of them but nobody cares. 

If you think anybody is going to check that you used to be person XXXX, that you were active in the forums while you were away, If you actually cared for the game while not playing it after selling your account - if even true - guess again.  People look at your date and that's it, nobody is going to spend a half hour verifying anything.

But seriously... if you don't automatically disregard 1/2 the people that post (anything non-positive), we won't disregard you and will listen to what you say even if your views are different that ours.

Edited by leaf

lol, do I need to post on here with my other account? seems kinda pointless to me.....

there are tons of players that used to play on different accounts, or people who have played for years but only recently started using the forum. or people who posted something 5 years ago and only played a total of 10 days but are back now. weird way to base playing time on.

either way, I think someone who has played 5 months has just as much of a say as someone who has played 10 years.

yes I think the complaining is ridicules. yes rolf might not always make the best decision, but it is his game and he wants the best for it. so he will do the best he can to make decisions based on what keeps players around. and that might not be the way you would like it but he can't please everyone. instead of complaining and people yelling that rolf is an idiot and what not, maybe just find a solution, post it and see what they do with it. because I can tell you the complaining without giving a solution won't make him change anything and just destroys the community.

rolf might not always make the best decision, but it is his game and he wants the best for it. so he will do the best he can to make decisions based on what keeps players around.

Players or cash?  The two are not 100% the same thing.  That's blind following.

there is no cash without players, and no game without cash....so they are both important

Which completely misses the point.

But eh, i'll go back off the forums and let people like you speak on my behalf.

Few persons are mad here :D  ... maybe i will have more land to deed :rolleyes:

It means new players should avoid joining Wurm for this launch, seriously, they have no chance to be competitive in a market or economy.

There is going to be a mad land rush by players who bring in coin via Epic servers and at the 1c/tile rate can purchase massive deeds, and then bring their 90+ skill mains in to set the economy.

A new player will have zero chance to make a living in that environment

I'm not trying to pick on Arch but address the line of thinking in general... With that said, since when did it become necessary to have fun in Wurm by bring competitive with others day 1? I guess my first 6 months in Wurm exploring, building, dying (a lot) and hanging out with my alliance friends were of no fun or value then. Since when should the game necessitate that it's players be able to make money from within (instead of paying for premium with real money as most other games started) to pay for their entertainment? Is it nice to be able to do so? Yes of course. I'm glad the option is there. However the idea that a "new player will have zero chance making a living in that environment" is not only untrue (new players start on the old cluster every day as I did once and have the same chance I did with scores of existing competitors) but it presumes that they should be entitled to.

• Like 5

Hi,

guess I'll not go to Xanadu (I LOVE my Indy deeds and the greatest of all Alliances, "Halcyon Central"!), but I can't make sense of all this.

• First, tile price for new deeds is halved.
  • Second, now you don't need Prem anymore to deed.

Ooops? What for?

Is it meant to flood Xanadu with quickly made huge deeds that will decay and disband within short time?

And/ Or to make a quick buck with offering such at (comparatively) low costs? So that as many alts as possible, as well as as many new try-outs as possible come to the shop right at server start?

Well, I'd understand. Money doesn't grow on trees, and even Rolf's need to buy some food the other day ...

But what will it lead to? Cheaply dropped huge deeds all over place (all servers!), even if disbanding rather quickly (haven't heard yet that the upkeep would be reduced, too). More or less high QL houses on these, blocking the place for quite longer. Cannot help, this doesn't make sense.

This is not what the players want, IMHO - even more space blocked! Or am I completely wrong with this?

F2P/ Try out - players are fraggled anyways. Any remarks of "free try-out" or "free play" on the main site should be deleted, because the possibilities for those are now close to non-existent. Any more mentioning of it will only lead to people raging because of false promises ...

Tents, yeah - can they drag their first new found cow into this tent to secure it? Well, they may find friendly Prems that allow them to dwell in their backyards and use their authority & power to protect them ... But I doubt it will help the Prem rate burdening them with even more insecurity and dependencies.

For sure I know, wouldn't I have started Wurm in the nOOb-friendly Golden Valley (and there was still bears there, back then!), I'd not have 5 deeds today, and I wouldn't be here today with 4 Prem chars (me & family).

Maybe I just don't understand it. May be.

I'd have suggested kind of a "newbie deed" thingie, with costs in the Coppers (free to plant, upkeep paid by selling stuff to the token), but with harsh restrictions (only 5x5, and monthly upkeep paid in time or - Whoosh!), and with eradication of all on it as soon as the upkeep wouldn't be paid in time (no paying in advance!). But this poor parody of a forum software ate my posts sooner or later, sorry, maybe I'm not intelligent enough to understand this software.

Have fun!

Perhaps another way to go would be to create epic style portals from Freedom cluster, allowing characters through with no items, give them starter items.

That will cut down on the amount of throwaway alts that will be created. The portals can the be removed when the borders open.

• Like 4

Perhaps another way to go would be to create epic style portals from Freedom cluster, allowing characters through with no items, give them starter items.

That will cut down on the amount of throwaway alts that will be created. The portals can the be removed when the borders open.

Not a bad idea