Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Never-been premiums deed holders

Only expanding the deed has gotten cheaper. Upkeep for each tile is still the same. why does no one understand this? Upkeep is going to keep people from making too big of deeds.

It's not that people don't understand what was said, it's just that far too often what is said is not what is actually done.

Always makes me think of this scene:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8IuGxP4Pa4

• Like 2

so... limited premium benefits?

Equal opportunity more like.

• Like 1

so... limited premium benefits?

You dont have to be premium to go to epic or use the mail.

perhaps a limitation to the deeds a never been premium player can achieve would be an appropriate approach, with things like size and activity being factored in. 

Just a thought...

Is it only for Xanadu, or will we be able to deed with non-prems on other servers too?

I would really like this OR the ability to have more than one deed on a single toon. Right now, we have to pay for premium we will never use and the deed to get a second deed.

I believe this will be on all servers (except the ones that require you to be premium to play on of course), however I don't believe it's intended function was to support Xanadu's land grab.  If I'm correct it has more to do with the enclosure rule being destroyed.  With non-premiums being able to deed up it gives those free players a chance to own something and have it protected without committing to going premium.

Yes, that would make sense. Remove enclosure, but enable planting a deed to a non-prem. It's a win-win for me.

I believe this will be on all servers (except the ones that require you to be premium to play on of course), however I don't believe it's intended function was to support Xanadu's land grab.  If I'm correct it has more to do with the enclosure rule being destroyed.  With non-premiums being able to deed up it gives those free players a chance to own something and have it protected without committing to going premium.

Seems to me this was indeed enabled to enable deeds being placed by free players because of old players being blocked out of Xanadu for at least a week due to possible lag issues. Although I would not mind this concept being enabled upon all servers, as of this time it has only been announced to be available upon Xanadu for the opening week until the old players can cross over.

There are a few issues that arise from this though, one being what happens if the f2p account mayor is deleted while still being mayor. Another is, will this f2p account mayor be able to transfer the deed without being premium as is currently required. This is the big concern as I see it and yet it seems this little hitch has been overlooked without mention.

So, if this change is carried over to all servers and then the f2p mayor can transfer the deed without being premium it will be a major change from the way in which the current deeding system works. It certainly will be interesting to find out these important details.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Seems to me this was indeed enabled to enable deeds being placed by free players because of old players being blocked out of Xanadu for at least a week due to possible lag issues. Although I would not mind this concept being enabled upon all servers, as of this time it has only been announced to be available upon Xanadu for the opening week until the old players can cross over.

There are a few issues that arise from this though, one being what happens if the f2p account mayor is deleted while still being mayor. Another is, will this f2p account mayor be able to transfer the deed without being premium as is currently required. This is the big concern as I see it and yet it seems this little hitch has been overlooked without mention.

So, if this change is carried over to all servers and then the f2p mayor can transfer the deed without being premium it will be a major change from the way in which the current deeding system works. It certainly will be interesting to find out these important details.

=Ayes=

While this rule change is indeed mentioned towards Xanadu it could also be instated server-wide and has been asked for many many times before Xanadu was ever thought of.  Personally it's a smart move, if you ask me, to make this change to all the servers.  I think allowing players to purchase silver to set-up a deed instead of forcing them to go premium right away, would settle the anxiety of choosing to commit to a subscription plan right away like every other game would have you do.  In my experience it's nice to have solid features in a game to help the free new players stick around longer; one such feature would be free-player deeding.

Edited by Slickshot

The good news if the deed owner is inactive for 3 months the deed would be gone too

It means new players should avoid joining Wurm for this launch, seriously, they have no chance to be competitive in a market or economy.

There is going to be a mad land rush by players who bring in coin via Epic servers and at the 1c/tile rate can purchase massive deeds, and then bring their 90+ skill mains in to set the economy.

A new player will have zero chance to make a living in that environment

Looking back now, haven't wurm has been this land run over the years when new servers come to light? this will be no exception.

As always, new players will never stand a chance to compete in the market and in this wurm economy, other than do crap works for the top guys.

My humble opinion.

Now, this is good, the chance of not having to prem accounts to plant a deed, but it will come with a price. it should have been implemented years ago.

Let's see how it will go :)

Cheers

Edited by Blasius

Since we received a lot of feedback requesting that you shouldn't have to purchase premium time in order to create deeds on the upcoming Xanadu server, I asked the team whether they saw many issues with letting non-premiums do that. As it looks right now we couldn't figure out any show stopper really, and it would make it a lot easier for people to settle down and enjoy the game.

One reason we have not allowed it before was that when a never-premium mayor account is deleted after three months of inactivity it causes lots of problems if the settlement remains, but other reasons could be deed griefing and hogging resources cheaply. From the feedback and preliminary discussions we had in team that should apparently not be an issue.

So basically, the current plan is to allow non-premiums to start a deed.

This helps you experienced players place a deed without having to prem up and hand it to your main account once the borders open which is the main thing we want to solve.

If your gonna let non prem alts place deeds, then whats the point of keeping the borders locked from the other servers for a week or 2? I don't understand.

• Like 1

Reportedly to keep people from taking over thousands of items that may increase problems  at opening. 

I say open the border on opening day and limit ship size to rowboat. 

its because if they have to rollback xan then they don't need to rollback the whole old cluster

This is fundamentally about how easy it's to setup a deed and even to maintain it.

Just have more resources and spread them out or change how certain scarce things are farmed. If done right, it doesn't matter much how easily someone can setup a deed. The only remaining concern is how big the map is at that point and how quickly players can move around. If it's too small, the land will get eaten up. A new player would have to search far and wide to find a place to start a deed. The in-game map might have to show which areas are deeded - whether it's small or big. Having a large map with lots of teleport locations would help a lot.

As pertains to this change, I think for the most part players will want to have premium anyway. So whatever effect this will have will probably be either hard to gauge or small. Why setup a deed and not have premium?

This does mean if htey plan to walk away from the game they can afford to lose premium, but they'll still have to pay upkeep, so it's not like thye can completely walk away. (I'm assuming players couldn't lose premium and keep a deed.)

Edited by Lightonfoot

if I'm not mistaken, xanadu will be a very coastal server (great for ship travel, but not too good for carts) and with it being so big shouldn't be a big deal. besides all those prime spots could be crap if they decide a different approach to the server connections. isn't xanadu going to have the same land mass as all of freedom together anyways?

Aside from Xanadu being much larger than any current active map (even the old inactive ones), the theory of people doing a mass land-grab fails to take into account the same people leaving the old servers. Ergo space opens up on the old maps, and examples of such have already occurred with some players prepping for Xanadu launch.

Even if people keep their old deeds, it just means more coin being burned.

Course that's assuming there's no influx of newer players, also not a problem.

The only disadvantage to having a new map is purely on the Devs, initial cost and overhead, and apparently they feel its more than worth it.

...had to prem to guys to trade a deed......i guess once prem'd you are screwed.

...had to prem to guys to trade a deed......i guess once prem'd you are screwed.

You should have waited a week...

I think something that remains to be disclosed is whether the free player account that places the deed will be able to later transfer it to another player without being premium. Also, the concern expressed of what happens to a deed placed by a free player who later may be deleted through the usual time period of inactivity.

These important points have not been explained yet, but the first will be easily enough found out once the mains travel over to Xanadu and these free player deeds are attempted to be transferred over to them. My bet is that they will have to premium up this free player to be able to do so, just the same as the current deed transfer system works on all other servers. Surprise, surprise!

=Ayes=

• Like 1

If that's the case then just keep the free player as mayor, makes no difference as long as you remember to log them in.

I imagine that if the deed still has upkeep and still has citizens, it will not disband.

Any chance could linking Xanadu be pushed back to maybe 3 weeks or a month? Giving us new players a little more time to get ourselves settled in before the overwhelming zerg of 70+ skilled players charge at us?

• Like 2

I think something that remains to be disclosed is whether the free player account that places the deed will be able to later transfer it to another player without being premium. Also, the concern expressed of what happens to a deed placed by a free player who later may be deleted through the usual time period of inactivity.

=Ayes=

Well these questions were resolved in a recent post within the Website News Section:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/102853-unique-creatures-respawned-–-new-loot-system-registration-email-issues/

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Non-prems may now transfer deeds to premium players. In order to prevent bugs with disbanding, never-been-premiums deed holders may not accept citizens since the characters may become deleted. If a never-been-premium account is deleted, the settlement will disband.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good to have these concerns answered and addressed.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes

Should have made it so only premium/previously premium can hold a deed writ.  Then see how it goes, and you still have the option to go even further and let any old never premium hold them.

But eh, not my call.

• Like 1