Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Never-been premiums deed holders

Since we received a lot of feedback requesting that you shouldn't have to purchase premium time in order to create deeds on the upcoming Xanadu server, I asked the team whether they saw many issues with letting non-premiums do that. As it looks right now we couldn't figure out any show stopper really, and it would make it a lot easier for people to settle down and enjoy the game.

One reason we have not allowed it before was that when a never-premium mayor account is deleted after three months of inactivity it causes lots of problems if the settlement remains, but other reasons could be deed griefing and hogging resources cheaply. From the feedback and preliminary discussions we had in team that should apparently not be an issue.

So basically, the current plan is to allow non-premiums to start a deed.

This helps you experienced players place a deed without having to prem up and hand it to your main account once the borders open which is the main thing we want to solve.

• Like 29

Wow.

I would not tell ANY new player to join Xanadu.  It will be completely flooded with high skilled players setting the market and claiming the most land with money from other servers.

This change just encourages that.

Its like you do not want to make money off of Xanadu.  Players can bring silver from other servers via Epic portals like they did with Pristine and they will not even have to give you premium money for a character to claim initial deed land.

Just wow.

(New players would be better off joining older servers than the madhouse that will be Xanadu

Edited by Archaegeo
  • Like 2

+1 in the right direction, any chance upkeep can be cut in half to match expansions?

• Like 1

Xanadu is big

will not hurt 8)

+1

Edited by silakka
  • Like 1

Lol....

There are going to be so many tears.

Whatever - it's not really worth thinking about tbh.

• Like 1

Please dont do this - big server or not - please dont do this

Why not?

It means new players should avoid joining Wurm for this launch, seriously, they have no chance to be competitive in a market or economy.

There is going to be a mad land rush by players who bring in coin via Epic servers and at the 1c/tile rate can purchase massive deeds, and then bring their 90+ skill mains in to set the economy.

A new player will have zero chance to make a living in that environment

• Like 1

So a lot of newbalts with the newbstealthiness that they buffs provide will start to deploy deeds to hoard and secure land.

Oh the drama!

I don't think anyone will keep the f2p as a deed mayor why take the risk. If we can not have the mains there day one at least it is something. Not like it was real expensive before after the referral and the 2s back you were only paying 2s anyway. 

• Like 3

awesome:) def shows alot of consideration from rolf to help the current players.

Think it's a mistake after changing the costs of deeds but in the end I'm only happier with my decision to not go to Xanadu. So thanks :)

It means new players should avoid joining Wurm for this launch, seriously, they have no chance to be competitive in a market or economy.

There is going to be a mad land rush by players who bring in coin via Epic servers and at the 1c/tile rate can purchase massive deeds, and then bring their 90+ skill mains in to set the economy.

There is always a way for new player to make money:

for exemple a new server means new buildings: massive bulk will be needed, bricks, planks, mortar, nails etc

A lot of veteran players will be lazy to create thousands of bulk for their large deeds and then they will buy it, there will probably be a lot of work for digging canals where new players might be hired etc

• Like 9

Sounds fine to me, though on the other hand I don't really see the need for the change either. I don't see it changing people's minds on if they will move over or not, as the cost of 1 month of premium isn't that great. But considering that in the news article, it was said that for the first week Xanadu wouldn't be linked up to Freedom, in order to prevent a flood of experienced players/items potentially causing issues. Why do you want to encourage those same players to create an alt, and have them set up a deed on Xanadu in that week? They'd likely end up creating a ton of items in that week then too.. You might as well just open up Xanadu right away to Freedom, and just add an item restriction for the first week, like 100 items in the boat and 100 on yourself (or less if that's still too many, for example just the boat and no-drop items if we want to go with that extreme). Anything too much on the boat/player could be dropped automatically at the border. And there could always be a warning/confirmation screen in the first week, before you cross the border, about potential instability/crashes/item loss on the new server.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 3

The server was going to be open to travel from the Freedom cluster after the first week anyway from what I read.
  • Like 1

With regards to resource hogging, will the ore types etc on Xanadu be concentrated in certain areas or as random any ore any where spawns as in Beta?

so rolf giving away land for free :S   not fair 

how is he giving it away free you still have to buy the settlement form and pay for any cost over the 7s...but i guess the 7s will buy you much more land now though at the 1c rate   :)

Edit: i guess at the new price you can get a 12x12 on the form so 25x25 tiles for under the 7s of the deed form and it is only 1s 25c upkeep nice chunk of land for 10s

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Wow.

I would not tell ANY new player to join Xanadu.  It will be completely flooded with high skilled players setting the market and claiming the most land with money from other servers.

This change just encourages that.

Its like you do not want to make money off of Xanadu.  Players can bring silver from other servers via Epic portals like they did with Pristine and they will not even have to give you premium money for a character to claim initial deed land.

Just wow.

(New players would be better off joining older servers than the madhouse that will be Xanadu

If the only thing the developers care about is money, then I think its time to leave. EA fit this description perfectly. A developer that doesn't give a crap about its paying players, is not one I want to continue funding. Wurm hasn't reached that stage yet, but its heading that way.

Please don't forget that it is the very same paying customers, that are funding such a server (and the game) and I think its already unfair that to be part of this launch event we have to start a new character and "drop" our old one.

As to being flooded with high-skilled players. I seriously doubt there is anywhere near enough of them to cover a server of this size, let alone the demand that hundreds (maybe thousands, if you're bold enough) of new players would bring in. The server is much much bigger than all of Wurm's current servers combined.

If such a flood is truely a concern, then just make the starting area(s) opposite to the end the border is (if) connected to the old servers. The time it'll take to sail or walk to the newb spawn from the entry border will most likely put most people off, especially without any form of roads. The only way to get there easily as an old player, would be to suicide, which would mean leaving all your items/boat at the opposite end of the server.

EDIT:

how is he giving it away free you still have to buy the settlement form and pay for any cost over the 7s...but i guess the 7s will buy you much more land now though at the 1c rate   :)

Edit: i guess at the new price you can get a 12x12 on the form so 25x25 tiles for under the 7s of the deed form and it is only 1s 25c upkeep nice chunk of land for 10s

From what I've read so far though, upkeep isn't changing. So it'll still cost the same to maintain a deed as it does now.

Edited by syncaidius
  • Like 1

well on the other hand people should maybe think that this could mean that players are more easily settling around the spawning places directly after start, means more nature untouched area for those who take their time to actually travel around :P to find good places ^^ I wonder btw why spawning points are always liked to be build on....afterall, a deed is offering a place to spawn anyway and it means you*ll get trouble with newbies running around all the time :P and messing around with the area, why would anyone wanna live there?XD

I*m a bit torn about this non premium deeding, but im also looking forward to how it evolves, maybe it makes more players buy premium, since it seems like the better deal when buying money for a deed also ;) cant earn money that easily ingame as a newbie.

also if deeds are running low on upkeep the decay is faster than without deed at all AND even though old players can kinda grief with their amount of money, there is nothing really bad about it i think, afterall the game is made to be build upon, so why does it matter who does it? 

• Like 1

There is always a way for new player to make money:

for exemple a new server means new buildings: massive bulk will be needed, bricks, planks, mortar, nails etc

A lot of veteran players will be lazy to create thousands of bulk for their large deeds and then they will buy it, there will probably be a lot of work for digging canals where new players might be hired etc

Well said, bulk has always been the bread and butter for new players because (and as an example) I wouldn't pay over inflated prices on 50ql tools when I can get that skill in a week with a new account.