Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 17

Everyone that is asking for refunds or reimbursements is making me laugh in the most cynical way. I agree with you 100% but you might as well forget it, it won't happen.

When I moved a token and lost 4 traders to an ambiguous-at-best warning process, they could easily have touched a few keys and "poof" my traders would be back. Instead, they seem to have put me on "perpetual ignore" and maybe I'll go away. Even though they acknowledged the communication error, could see the potential for damage, changed the deed disband verbage to adequately inform about the potential loss of traders and gave me the title "Clairvoyant"... I am still no closer to ANY compensation for my loss.

Other sandbox games will be making their debut soon, I see this Xanadu and rule changing as an attempt to get the players to "Don't look over there! Look! I have a shiny over here!".

It's all about the money and getting you to pay more of it somehow, right, wrong or indifferent.

It is so much all about the money. Not only are we expected to make new toons for reasons that make no sense, but the opening event is a blatant required cash grab (prem plus a deed form) since you now can't 'land grab' without a deed. New players might fork over the 20 euro (until they see how broken the game can be) but how many of us can, will or want to pay out more money and make a new toon?

Easy solution:

Portal to the xanadu start town instead. Give an item limit/restriction as has been done before. This can be temporary until servers are linked. A lot of people won't want to make new accounts just to explore, but I would have a little browse on my main. :)

• Like 9

It also doesn't help when the 4 tiles I want to protect are locked in touching perimeters that are the required 5 wide. I cannot expand NS because of I have expanded to my neighbors. I cannot expand west or I pay upkeep on ocean that is not really prudent to keep filling in though I guess I can eh? Or rather, I guess I will. My only expansion is EW up a mountain and into the ocean. Surface mine one side down and fill the other in. Then I can move my rice field onto the deed. I had hoped for 1 direction expansion so I only had to mess with that hill and not the water.

As for the rest, it all sounds great to me. I do like the decoration choices being added! Just one thing about boats... shark-targeting harpoon guns. :-P Just kidding on those. I like the changes. So maybe you can sneak in info about us being able to sit on chairs soon to go with the boats? :-D

Well that´s the reason for the existence of perimeter on first place, to not be able to box people by making a line of deeds, and that´s also why enclosures are a bad thing.

Easier solution, just open the server with no silly restrictions.  Let Release and Pristine go too, removing the barrier to those servers at the same time.  Only losers are those that had a private market going on the new servers, they would have to compete in the markets.

• Like 2

Well that´s the reason for the existence of perimeter on first place, to not be able to box people by making a line of deeds, and that´s also why enclosures are a bad thing.

Boxed in any way you slice it. I am just boxed in with 10 tiles that can't be protected no matter what I do now. And until a week ago, I would not have said someone will bash into a farm field. But since someone saw fit to kill my champ pet using guards called into the fences and not even getting the FS for themselves, I don't see where bashing a farm to dig up pumpkins will stop them. I can't deed it, so I lose it. Simple enough. And I am not forking coppers out for upkeep on more water to move one way onto land and I sure as hell am not going to pull up my marker for a 5s or more penalty to only be able to squeeze 3 tiles in the opposite direction I have something built. Besides, I pay twice as much to Wurm as I do to play any other game. I think I pay enough.

While this is not the place for it really, while you are fixing stuff, in my opinion, that's not broken, why don't you put a little effort into the position problem with carts at the very least? But there is a silver lining to that issue. I don't have to worry about not being able to bash myself out a fence I get stuck in any more.

Edited by Audrel

Easier solution, just open the server with no silly restrictions.  Let Release and Pristine go too, removing the barrier to those servers at the same time.  Only losers are those that had a private market going on the new servers, they would have to compete in the markets.

The money gets out in Traders. Sounds fair enough to me.

Boxed in any way you slice it. I am just boxed in with 10 tiles that can't be protected no matter what I do now. 

What really amuses me is staff saying the last thing they want is a grief-fest...... maybe we should all dig our perimeters down to rock and to hell with it?

........ Standing on my house's higher level feeling like my deed shrunk.......... 

Edited by Mordraug

Please change the must-have perimeter from 5 to 1. And might also consider one way resizing (which need to be two tiles per resize, so token still at the center).

• Like 2

Well, last week I was contemplating my own News Update: Work and Progress post, in which I wanted to include glimpses of steam power and the first submarine. In retrospect... probably not a good idea, although I am quite confident that you could implement that into the game too, if we were in another game era.

As to this week's news, great stuff again. I am really happy for the new lawns, as the old ones didn't look right and I am even more happy for all that great looking furniture soon to hit our bedrooms!

Oh, and a sweet boat ride with Wox, Saroman, Haradur and Failik sounds like the beginning of a great romance! Hey, who am I to judge.

I can't say I'm surprised about the enclosure rule change, but I am a bit sad.  I enjoyed living off deed as a farmer and animal breeder supplying my village with food and critters.  I know I still can, its just now 'live at your own risk' type of thing.

If someone uses an illegal lock pick or bashes my fence down to steal my fancy horses then it's a simple case of homesteader beware!  In a way it adds to the realism I suppose.

I guess my big question is can a house door lock be lock-picked on Freedom legally?  If so then I won't waste time building a new doughnut house. :D   

• Like 1

I guess my big question is can a house door lock be lock-picked on Freedom legally?  If so then I won't waste time building a new doughnut house. :D   

To my knowledge lockpicks cannot be used on locks that are not your own on Freedom, whether on-deed or off.

When "everyone" is threatening to quit, I'm loading my account just to show support to the game I love (not that I need the coins immediately):

Business Name:

Code Club AB (The recipient of this payment is Non-U.S. - Verified)

Email:

contact@wurmonline.com

Total amount:

-€65.00 EUR

Fee amount:

€0.00 EUR

Net amount:

-€65.00 EUR

To all the quitters who just want to have everything (hoard lot of land, prime spots on Xanadu launch and generally VIP treatments) without paying an (extra) dime... safe journey... as I said and with another ocassion: You WON'T be missed.

One night at a club / restaurant could easily costs me 40-50 euros.

One single player game I finish in one week costs me 40-50 euros.

Well, I can afford to pay same (if needed, because is not the case yet) to support my char, alt and deed in the game I love and which keeps me busy 8+ hours per day, 25+ days per month.

• Like 2

Just my Libra  point of view at work.  The deeds we have paid for we have enjoyed. No one forced us to drop them.  Along the same line of thought no one forced you to deed previous "Enclosures" that was by choice.  Looking at it from this side of things, we are are not owed any reimbursement. We asked for forewarning  and where given it, what we did with that information is entirely on us. 

No need to go into figures of what i've put into deeds, that part doesn't really matter.

Let's say I want to sell or disband my deed(s). The value of the land has been slashed in half. So, during a disband (for example), no longer will I get 1/2 of my village cost, I will actually only get a quarter.

That's wrong. Completely shafting the customer and devaluing my investment. It's funny how the drake selling crowd can have their stranglehold on their market and can use the excuse that more drake will devalue their investment, and that's been okay around here for years, but i'm considered audacious for asking for compensation when Rolf and crew devalues my land? C'mon.

I know you didn't put it like that, Chiqa, but others have... your post is the most reasonable and the least of a bait, which I felt I could respond to.

• Like 6

Good for you, Scarface... I was spending decently myself... BY MY OWN CHOICE.

I refuse to spend extra just because it's "too hard to keep griefers from griefing".  

Basically, we're told that anything we had protected until now is either gonna have to also be paid for, or open to robbing... Extorsion, mob likes to call it "protection money".

Sure, deeding over a tile costs half now... nice except if expanding ain't an option, selling a deed is also gonna fetch way less AAAAAAAAAND despite being forced into buying extra tiles because, because God forbid having someone from staff tell some little griefer Herpderp to act in a civilized manner while playing online, the upkeep costs remain the same per tile.

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 1

Easy solution:

Portal to the xanadu start town instead. Give an item limit/restriction as has been done before. This can be temporary until servers are linked. A lot of people won't want to make new accounts just to explore, but I would have a little browse on my main. :)

Simple, gives me a chance to run out there with my main and plant a deed without me having to premium an alt I don't want premium for anyway. After I plant the deed my location is secure and I can wait a week to sail over to it.

this way everyone has a chance to check out xanadu and you can always remove the portals on a later date

seems nice... but is not fair to others not to be conected to xanadu instant... so we need to make new toons to get promised land first 

Thank you for the Xanadu update.  I had my fingers crossed hoping the new server would be free from Trader exploiters but at least now I know what to expect and can get back to work on my current deed.

I do feel for the people who re-deeded in response to Rolf's enclosure warning "You should consider making preparations for them being removed within a month, unless we see a showstopper for these" only to now be told it could have cost them half of what they spent.  I hope they get compensated.

• Like 5

I love almost everything about this game, but whatever use perimeters had seems no longer viable or necessary. Allow us to expand our deed over the present perimeter or we lose those tiles, but please consider removing them. I have good neighbors bordered on my deed, and without protection/deeding over the perimeters in the past there was chaos in those 10 tile wide zones.

Edited by Shalaris

I too wish I had known about the deed price reduction. I just did a new large deed to compensate for losing my two pens that were not on my existing deed. if I had known I would have waited for the price change.  

• Like 1

To everyone concerned they just spent money on deeding and won't get a rebate: It sucks, but if you paid for it yesterday, you must have considered it worth it.  You got your money's worth.  If you buy stock in a company and the value drops tomorrow, oops.  Not going to get it back.  What if you deeded today and Rolf announced a price hike for deeds, because he has to, just to keep the company in business? Does he have a right to come to you and say "sorry bud, you didn't pay me enough"?

Please, just forget about getting refunds.  Prices change and that is how life works.  The exception being if he generously gives a "credit" that could/must be used for either a new deed or existing deed expansion, but also have an expiration date.  There is a possibility for something like that would be a win for both.

Regarding the week delay for old players to get to the new server, I am confident they want the least laggy start for the grand opening, which is when the gamer press will be researching and writing their reviews.  After the flood gates open and each of us brings over multiple toons and thousands of items, the server will bog down big time.  So what if I don't get there in the first week?  It's not like we will run out of good real-estate in 1 week, or even 1 year.

My solution to their concerns of holding back old players, would be to restrict ALL items from transferring between servers, during that first week.  Make every starting location have a bottomless basic tool kit, for all the old toons to grab.  I suppose there would be details like bringing silver for deeds, etc, but it could be worked out before the release.  There would actually be less stress on the server than everyone creating brand new players that would likely never get used again after that first week was up.

My 3 cents.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 3

What they should do is get rid of the premium requirement to place a deed on Xanadu for that first week. That way anyone who wants to move there can make a free alt, place a deed, then move their main and stuff there when its connected.

Also if a new player can place a deed, they might actually stick around if they have something invested in the game.

Cant expand my deed, cannot protect my assets

0 Perimeter & 1 direction expansion NOW

The changes are a griefers charter!!!

I have the exact same problem; I would be perfectly happy to expand my deed over my enclosure but I'm boxed in; how do I protect my enclosure now?

What about the people who cannot expand their deeds because they are blocked on two sides by other deeds and therefore cannot expand to cover the small enclosures they have in the perimeter?

If deed expansion in one direction was possible or even to be able to expand into the perimeter it would help. 

^ this

If enclosed perimeters will no longer be protected, please remove the 'required' 5 perimeter borders to allow us to deed those tiles. As it stands many of us can not expand our current boarders due to perimeter overlap with a neighbor. Making the perimeters optional will allow us to deed that area which may now fall within our current walls if we choose.

1 perimeter mandatory would serve the need; there would be 2 'perimeter' tiles between deeds that would allow passage

• Like 1

Since I've not seen an update on the highway rule, what's the status on that "potential" change?

Just seems like the removing of an exploited rule, which was intended to protect new players, should fall in-line with the removal of the road rule.  If the intent is to remove that rule, then perimeter tiles should not be mandatory.  If we're not required to have protected lines of transit, we shouldn't be asked to keep perimeter tiles we cannot deed to protect roads that are expected to soon be unprotected by rule, or by mechanic.

If a mechanic is added, you still don't need the perimeter space, as those willing to "protect" roads, will still have them on their deeded tiles.  Can this block off areas?  Yep, but if we're not protecting new player's ability to have a small area like an enclosure (not just for storing crap, but to actually use for crops,etc...) because it is being exploited, why worry about their ability to get from Point A to Point B through forced perimeter's (which only a premium account is really able to do anything about anyway)?

Edited by Hussars
  • Like 1

To everyone concerned they just spent money on deeding and won't get a rebate: It sucks, but if you paid for it yesterday, you must have considered it worth it.  You got your money's worth.  If you buy stock in a company and the value drops tomorrow, oops.  Not going to get it back.  What if you deeded today and Rolf announced a price hike for deeds, because he has to, just to keep the company in business? Does he have a right to come to you and say "sorry bud, you didn't pay me enough"?

Please, just forget about getting refunds.  Prices change and that is how life works.  The exception being if he generously gives a "credit" that could/must be used for either a new deed or existing deed expansion, but also have an expiration date.  There is a possibility for something like that would be a win for both.

Regarding the week delay for old players to get to the new server, I am confident they want the least laggy start for the grand opening, which is when the gamer press will be researching and writing their reviews.  After the flood gates open and each of us brings over multiple toons and thousands of items, the server will bog down big time.  So what if I don't get there in the first week?  It's not like we will run out of good real-estate in 1 week, or even 1 year.

My solution to their concerns of holding back old players, would be to restrict ALL items from transferring between servers, during that first week.  Make every starting location have a bottomless basic tool kit, for all the old toons to grab.  I suppose there would be details like bringing silver for deeds, etc, but it could be worked out before the release.  There would actually be less stress on the server than everyone creating brand new players that would likely never get used again after that first week was up.

My 3 cents.

The big problem is Big companies like SOE, Blizzard and a few others will compensate and refund on the fly to do every thing to make there customers happy even like what soe did where they just took all there mmo's slammed them in a pot and said will this make you'll happy 14.99 play any one of our mmo's.  Or when landmark went to 64 bit only and they would no longer support 32 bit. Don't try to twist this there is the same EULA on paying to play a alpha game and you should read SOE's EULA there standard that says there is no refund for any changes yet these companies try to make there customers happy.

So I don't care and half the entire gaming world don't care for this political bull some of you guys post cause if other companies can compensate to make there fan base happy regardless of what they have on a EULA which is only a protection for a company to not  be sued in court of law. These people have a right to ask for a refund.