Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 17

LssNW17L.jpg

Hello fellow Wurmians!

I am sorry for my absence last week but it was a Swedish holiday, a red day as we call it.

And who is not one to take advantage of red days if not the Red Baron right?

Anyhow, I have pushed to get as much information out as possible this week.

So lets call it even right?

Enclosures

We have reviewed many of the suggestions which was reasonable and had it up for discussions and debate on several occasions.

I want to provide you with the reasoning about the decisions and main arguments first of all.

We want people to be able to have big pieces of land and and use them for the gameplay that enables, for example grinding skills like farming or major building projects.

Not however closing off major areas, effectively blocking others from accessing them.

Therefore there needs to be a cost involved for claiming land to limit this.

The “enclosure rule†was initially conceived as a means for new players to establish themselves.

Instead it was mainly used by experienced players to claim and close of huge expanses of land which is not good for the game.

We do understand that many players have come to expect that level of land access and will try to mitigate any change to the current state of things.

We looked at a way where everyone benefits and that lets you keep as much protected land as possible.

The solution in the end for getting things back to were they work with the current system and intended gameplay is to have true deeded land extended over your enclosure that you want kept safe.

Therefore, we are going to cut the cost of buying deeded tiles in half to 1 copper coin per tile instead of 2.

This way you will be able to increase the size of your deed and get full protection of those tiles.

The price change will be implemented in one week.

The enclosure protection for perimeter and off deed will be removed in two weeks time.

New Player Protection

There is no way of giving the new players a protected enclosure without making this abusable in one way or another in the same fashion as before.

We looked at what is the core need for protection and that is protecting your items.

The plan is to give new players a tent as a starting item for storing items while they build their first shack or decide to join a village.

The tent would work as a personal container protected from any type of griefing so you can safely store your valuables in there.

There will however be limitations on how long it will last so it will not end up being abused as an infinite safe storage in PVP situations.

Xanadu

So finally some clarifications on the new server!

There are some rumors going around that we are implementing something brand new such as 3D caves with Xanadu and that we would force people to move there whilst closing old servers.

That is not the case on either parts even though we at least want those caves one day.

Neither will it be a hunting server.

The main reason for the mega server Xanadu is to show and push what we can do technologically concerning size and player support.

We are planning to run a marketing campaign in connection with the release to have a crazy frontiersman event where we invite tons of people to the biggest sandbox MMO landrush in history!

We plan on releasing it in about a month but you’ll get a more precise date once we’ve ran some more tests.

With those tests we will also be able to know the final size of the server.

Before the release we are also going to be launching the new tutorial area.

When it comes to connecting the old servers we will wait at least a week after initial release.

This is because we need to know that Xanadu can handle the load over time.

The concern is that if everyone would rush and ship thousands of items there at the same time, we would have to roll back and destroy the landrush event.

We haven’t decided where to connect it to the freedom cluster yet and we will discuss this with you before announcing the implementation.

Hopefully we have an ingame voting system done soon so we can run a poll on Pristine and Release regarding whether they want to be connected to Xanadu, and if so, where.

Lawn

Lawn.jpg

Our devs are currently working on the lawns and new textures has been created.

For those of you who do not already know, you need to have a scissor as an active tool, right click a grass tile to get the option of cutting the grass.

This will make it into a neat lawn which also stops trees and bushes from growing there.

We made an early implement on this and as usual there is plenty of feedback from our dear community.

Other than taking those screenshots used for feedback on the lowest tile decoration settings, we do agree they needed more work.

So now the lawn is a new tile completely were a new texture is being used which has a more cut look and no rocks will appear on the lawn tile.

Also, if you run tile decoration setting on sparse or extremely sparse the lawn will show as a "bowling green" without the standing grass.

Boats

Yesterday I had a sweet boat ride with Wox, Saroman, Haradur and Failik on the test server.

We were all seated in the boat and the immersion was complete! Oculus rift could not even make it better. Okay, maybe slightly.

Other than our feet still sticking through the hull, the seating arrangements, feel and look of implementing this is great.

Also I can report there was no seasickness as you do not follow the boats rocking motion, which I was happy for.

It is looking promising with seeing this implemented in the near future.

New Interior WIP

Small Bed table
BedtableS.jpg

click image for larger version

Wardrobe

Wardrobeb.jpg

click image for larger version

More of the new interior decorations are worked on and those from the last update are now handed onto code.

That is that magical moment when the Wogic happens and we decide what materials, skill and process is involved in creating them.

We will be implementing them as we finish them though it will be some more time still.

So most likely there will as always be a big split in who thinks what was good or bad news.

But I know that all of you only want what is best for the game and we all share a passion to make Wurm even better.

I feel very positive about the future and where things are going as long as you

Keep on Wurming!

• Like 27

Spotted this sighting of RedBaron! More comment to come, no doubt.

=Ayes=

So existing characters will not be able to take part in this land rush? *sadface*

ooh and looking forward to all the new decoration stuff hitting us =)

Edited by Guruen
  • Like 6

Will the new wood furnishing be offered in any wood type we want or are they all the same texture as shown?  Also will the new tutorial zone be the only one connected to the new server or can we make an alt and have him/her waiting in the old zone? 

Edit: I seen the part where you will be opening the new tutorial zone before the new server i just want to make sure i have a guy there ready and with coins on him. 

Edited by Kegan

Therefore, we are going to cut the cost of buying deeded tiles in half to 1 copper coin per tile instead of 2.

This way you will be able to increase the size of your deed and get full protection of those tiles.

The enclosure protection for perimeter and off deed will be removed in two weeks time.

This doesn't help much if upkeep stays the same, upkeep is what hurts.

Will only make current deed prices go down even more =(

Anyway everything else seems awesome, good job :)

• Like 11

Will this apply to pvp servers too? 

Boats

Yesterday I had a sweet boat ride with Wox, Saroman, Haradur and Failik on the test server.

We were all seated in the boat and the immersion was complete! Oculus rift could not even make it better. Okay, maybe slightly.

Other than our feet still sticking through the hull, the seating arrangements, feel and look of implementing this is great.

Also I can report there was no seasickness as you do not follow the boats rocking motion, which I was happy for.

It is looking promising with seeing this implemented in the near future.

379.jpg

Inside boats?

Great work over all, I'm VERY disappointed I won't be able to join in on the land rush because I apparently picked the wrong server to play on. I'd give this a 5/10. I like the new furniture, but fail to see what it'll be used for besides eye candy. Maybe a shield bin and some "useful" items could be featured soon?

• Like 4

If enclosed perimeters will no longer be protected, please remove the 'required' 5 perimeter borders to allow us to deed those tiles. As it stands many of us can not expand our current boarders due to perimeter overlap with a neighbor. Making the perimeters optional will allow us to deed that area which may now fall within our current walls if we choose.

• Like 28

First, WOW.  Thank you very much for finally clarifying the details about Xanadu.  And I'd like to state my own opinion very clearly on connecting Pristine & Release to Xanadu....

YES!  Please connect them to Xanadu.

I know everyone has an opinion, but there are going to be a lot of people missing out on the P&R cluster if everyone else can from the old cluster can experience Xanadu and we cannot. So while a Poll is nice, I'd hate to wait for that functionality and then have to wait 3-6 months before the P&R folks could join in (hypothetically). I do appreciate and understand the reason for a 1-2 week delay in joining the old servers. Makes perfect sense. Several people have made excellent suggestions about the way the islands could be joined and I'm sure the devs have their own as well. Let's finally join this community as one.

Edited by Kruggan
  • Like 4

Will the new wood furnishing be offered in any wood type we want or are they all the same texture as shown?  Also will the new tutorial zone be the only one connected to the new server or can we make an alt and have him/her waiting in the old zone? 

Edit: I seen the part where you will be opening the new tutorial zone before the new server i just want to make sure i have a guy there ready and with coins on him. 

I also was wondering about the alt and tuturial zone.

This all looks great.

I think the Xanadu implementation is probably spot on, even though I wouldn't mind a clustered fresh start again xD

Excited about lawns as well \o/

• Like 1

So the fix for enclosures is reduced tile purchase price? No single direction deed expansion, no variable perimeter adjustment under the minimum 5 tiles? Not even a mention of reduced upkeep fee for active farm tiles. Your fix may help some setting up new or remote farms but does nothing for many others with existing adjacent lands. There will still be the high cost of disbanding and moving tokens.

Other than that, great news. Love the new deco furniture.

Edited by Calisthra
  • Like 11

If enclosed perimeters will no longer be protected, please remove the 'required' 5 perimeter borders to allow us to deed those tiles. As it stands many of us can not expand our current boarders due to perimeter overlap with a neighbor. Making the perimeters optional will allow us to deed that area which may now fall within our current walls if we choose.

This is a very legitimate issue. If perimeters are mandatory, but not part of legal enclosures, then in heavily populated areas, large amounts of land will simply be unprotectable.

• Like 5

So we get to vote on connection status?

Xanadu Rage 2.0 - The Ragier

Please moderate that discussion for harassment. It was bad enough the first time when we didn't even know if we'd get a say.

The enclosure protection for perimeter and off deed will be removed in two weeks time

What about the people who cannot expand their deeds because they are blocked on two sides by other deeds and therefore cannot expand to cover the small enclosures they have in the perimeter?

If deed expansion in one direction was possible or even to be able to expand into the perimeter it would help. 

• Like 5

So the fix for enclosures is reduced tile purchase price? No single direction deed expansion, no variable perimeter adjustment under the minimum 5 tiles? Not even a mention of reduced upkeep fee for active farm tiles. Your fix may help some setting up new or remote farms but does nothing for many others with existing adjacent lands. There will still be the high cost of disbanding and moving tokens.

Other than that, great news. Love the new deco furniture.

This doesn't help much if upkeep stays the same, upkeep is what hurts.

Will only make current deed prices go down even more =(

Anyway everything else seems awesome, good job :)

^

• Like 1

Perimeters are mandatory because you cant butt up two deeds together - they can't share border tiles. Another reason is that without a perimeter, people can block off access from others. It's better to think that the 5 free perimeter tiles are not a part of your deed.

• Like 4

Well we all have a lot to argue over for the next month anyway...thanks for the update, lol

Concerning the enclosure changes.....

We were told by Rolf several weeks ago to prepare for the enclosure changes. Many of us started to do just that, I went out and deeded much of my land that I had used as enclosure to make it now under my full control.

Doing this cost me almost 130s......now your saying that your going to lower the cost of doing this very thing????? This is something that should have been stated back when we were warned to start taking action. Now those of us that did in fact take action when Rolf warned us to take action, and paid full price are out of this "deal" of lowering the cost of deeding from 2c to 1c.......

I think it is only fair that those of us that took action based upon the warning that Rolf gave us telling us to take action receive a refund in the price difference. I deeded 77x87, it cost me almost 130s, and I did so based upon Rolf telling us to take action. I am requesting that half of the cost of doing so be refunding back to me, for I would never have deeded that large in the first place except for the warning that Rolf gave us telling us to prepare. 

Even if it is just refunded to the deed in a form of upkeep or something is fine. But I think there should be something done for those that deeded for this very reason.

Thank you.

• Like 17