Sign in to follow this  
elentari

Functional clothes that give %bonus to crafting like a blacksmith's apron

Not really sure if this has been brought up on the suggestion thread, from what I've seen there are scraps and bits of this idea posted all around but my idea is simple and quite good for the overall game experience.

Ready?

Add clothes that grant a %bonus to crafting and skills.

Sounds weird?

Think about it for a second.

A blacksmith's apron that grants you a max of 5% bonus to all smithing branches at 90ql, starting with a 1% bonus at 50ql. These numbers are just a sketch in my mind right now to give you a baseline for such an approach.

Or a woodcutter's chequered shirt (stereotypical much? :) ) that grants you a bonus to your woodcutting skill. A wizard's robes for priests that give you a bonus against physical attacks and to your channeling skills. The sky is the limit on this one.

Think about the fact that clothes right now are quite useless in the game, except for the aesthetic purpose. If this were to be implemented , cloth tailoring will become a major skill in the game and people will work on making lots of clothing sets specific to each task. Some farmer's workclothes for farming, or an archer's tunic that gives him a small boost to damage/accuracy/defence against ranged weps, you name it.

It will also help out those people who hit 70-80 in some skills and want to get to 90. This game is all about small bonuses that stack with each other, so I really do hope this idea won't get barreled down in the mosh pit of forgotten threads.

Also, to promote fairness, those clothing sets should experience a minor rate of decay as you use them. Using a miner's clothing set for example, should slightly decay the more you mine due to wear and tear, dust, humidity and so on.

There are a lot of games out there with various pieces of clothing granting small bonuses to skills/traits/stats/etc. Why not in Wurm ?

I believe this will be an excellent addition to the game and hope to see it in the near future.

Small list of examples .

Chef's and bakers uniform

Miner's kit (made by using leatherworking)

Blacksmiths apron (leatherworking)

Carpenter's set with a toolbelts strapped around the waist

Fisherman's overalls

Hunter's jerkin (made with furs and leather, and maybe a hood)

Digger's duds (sleeveless shirt and baggy pants)

Alchemical accoutrements (some mystical/grunge/stained robes for those hermits that dabble in the occult arts of making paint)

Gardener's garb

Tailor's threads

............and whatever strikes your fancy

So what do you guys think? Would you like to get these little suckers into the game and have some nice crafting bonuses?

• Like 3

Unfortunately we don't have a huge budget for animation & models it seems. As much as I wouldn't mind the suggestion being implemented, I wouldn't want to see at half assed either with only a couple skills being implemented at a time.

As such I don't think it's terribly feasible but I would like to see it if the devs think it's possible. It would definitely make cloth tailoring a more valuable profession.

+1 :)

Edited by Sevenless

+1 to social clothing

-1 to skill bonus on said clothing

I don't want to feel like I MUST carry around or keep this clothing for everything I want to do.

I also generally dislike the idea of skill based uniforms, give me lots to choose from and I'll assemble my own outfit.

Social clothing is something that Wurm is sorely missing.

• Like 3

+1 
Armorsmiths already get a bonus if they wear their title, so i don't see why not.. (and before anyone starts jammering about how many items is needed to imp for a full set of armor. have you tried imping a set of horseshoes, not really a picnic either, yet no bonus to blacksmiths)

• Like 1

The grind is huge, another 5% wouldn't be so bad. Prices and skills to make them would keep them from being over used.

+1

I get there are a lot of stuff on the to-do list for the Wurm devs, but you could crowdsource some of it since I've seen there are a lot of talented people playing this game. From programmers to graphic designers, they could take some of the load off from you guys if you give them a shot.

The grind is huge, another 5% wouldn't be so bad. Prices and skills to make them would keep them from being over used.

+1

Realistically speaking player versus player already has up to 50% bonus via stacked affinities. PvE has no such thing and no way to replace the system currently. We are capped at +10% via nut really.

As such I don't think it would be unreasonable to add more forms of bonuses for player versus environment characters at the very least.

+1 if it only helps the improving speed and makes skill ticks proportionally smaller to the added improving speed.

+1 to social clothing

I don't want to feel like I MUST carry around or keep this clothing for everything I want to do.

I also generally dislike the idea of skill based uniforms, give me lots to choose from and I'll assemble my own outfit.

It's not a must, it's just optional, and the idea of social clothing is something I support as well. Would be nice to get certain pieces of clothing only after you get a titles. Like a noble's outfit with a leather jerkin, fur collars and a white cape with a specific kingdom's symbol, as a reward for loyalty to the game or pvp-ing, owning a deed, etc.

• Like 1

Realistically speaking player versus player already has up to 50% bonus via stacked affinities. PvE has no such thing and no way to replace the system currently. We are capped at +10% via nut really.

As such I don't think it would be unreasonable to add more forms of bonuses for player versus environment characters at the very least.

Realistically? Lmao, please explain. If anyone has that kind of buff via " affinities" there's only one maybe two per cluster. CLUSTER.

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Shrimpiie, April 24, 2014 - Removed - Duplicate post
Hidden by Shrimpiie, April 24, 2014 - Removed - Duplicate post

Hmmm, somehow double posted? 0.o

Edited by Druidnature

+1 to social clothing

This, even if each one only gave a 1% bonus, I'd feel like I'd have to carry every single set with me 24/7 just incase I needed it. (Already do that with every tool, weapon, bag, ect)...

Would love the design of them, but -1 if we have to force wear them.

+1 to op idea.

+1 
Armorsmiths already get a bonus if they wear their title, so i don't see why not.. (and before anyone starts jammering about how many items is needed to imp for a full set of armor. have you tried imping a set of horseshoes, not really a picnic either, yet no bonus to blacksmiths)

Yeah, you nailed it pretty well, either extend the bonus per title to all skills or just plain eliminate AS one, is totally unfair.

+1 I always wanted apron to protect me while smithing ^_^ Maybe hat (straw or leather) for farmers to protect them from sun, some butchers use mail apron to protect them from cutting themself, bait box equiped at hip for fishermans, endless possibilities for everyskill

Lol, a 2014 post getting revived, I am shocked, but in a pleasant way :) 

yup it was a good post. I searched through to see if a clothing post had been made and saw all these ideas some of which i had been planning to write others that were ideas I hadn't considered and wanted to see them as a reality.