Implement combined armour  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should we implement this armour?

• Yes - as it is
    • Yes - but more powerful to be closer to a dragon armour substitute
    • Yes - few tweaks to make it less powerful
    • Yes - less skill requirments
    • Yes - with more skill requirements
    • No - we have enough armour types already.

Edit:

To clarify, there is some variety in the potential of this armour and that is why the poll is so varied. Either we can have a halfway armour between plate and chain or we can have a 80% of dragon armour substitute. 

/Edit

Between chain and plate armour:

Materials:

Bear skin
Shark skin
Lion pelt
Wolf skin
Crocodile hide
2-5 kg of steel per piece
5-8 kg of iron per piece
copper
bronze
tin

Skills:

First part of the process uses leather working. - 70 skill
Second part uses chain armour smithing - 70 skill
Third plate armour smithing - 50 skill

(Why? So that it probably uses three smiths and makes leather working more relevant.)

Basic process:

Make a basic armour set using the animal parts, the padding under the armour with LW.

Attach the chain pieces for the joints and to hold the plates on.

Attach plates to the pieces.

Results:

Breast plate weight 3.80 kg (chains is 2.20 and plate is 5.72)

Speed on cobble stone 12.79 km/h (chain is 13.90 km/h and plate 10.89)

62.5% damage reduction at QL 100 (chain 55% - plate 70%)

Low glance rate - cutting

Medium to high glance rate - piercing

Medium glance - mauling

Sorry, these are the closest I came to finding what I meant to show you:

druchii_female_leather_armor___corset_by

article-0-18F190E7000005DC-847_634x758.j

Edited by Jenshiye

Dat first armor ↓

tera_human7.jpg
El_metal.jpg

And I think is time to Wurm have a store for cosmetic items and not to trade IRL cash to in-game cash.

Well if it takes three professions to make then i guess it should be good use as well. I know it won't be popular with the people that have drake but i guess a step just below would be okay with me if done right .

I guess it would slow you down more then chain but not as much as plate? 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Ultimately the skill that imps it is going to be the relevant one.

Concept seems fine, but I'm not educated enough in combat to really comment on the implementation.

+1 :)

• Like 1

I think this is pretty well thought out, I don't see it gamebreaking in any way and although more armour is planned this seems like a nice medium between chain and plate. Nice suggestion.

• Like 1

don't they already have regular scale and splint armor otw "soon"?

• Like 1

don't they already have regular scale and splint armor otw "soon"?

Aye they do but if they adopted this schematic for one of them that would be cool, i'm guessing theoretical armours could be adjusted to players suggestions. Seems like it could fit the "splint mail" pretty well. Just my thoughts though :)

I guess it would slow you down more then chain but not as much as plate? 

Yes, as it is, midway between chain and plate in all regards.  :)

The materials and especially needing the three skills combined to create seems way out of proportion to the end results. Leather, chain and plate each take only their respective skills to create and yet here you will need all three. When the benefits are dwarfed by the creation process of anything within Wurm the item will be little used.

The idea behind this armor is nice but since its benefits are mainly below plate the creation process should in turn be easier than plate for the different option that it makes available. Stylistically the first pic reminds me of Skyrim and I think their design would fit in with Wurm. So for a new style armor it would be nice but creation requirements need to be reduced drastically in order for players to bother with creating it.

=Ayes=

The materials and especially needing the three skills combined to create seems way out of proportion to the end results. Leather, chain and plate each take only their respective skills to create and yet here you will need all three. When the benefits are dwarfed by the creation process of anything within Wurm the item will be little used.

That would be because Jenshiye wants it to be a drake equivalent/near equivalent, but didn't want to outright suggest it as that because it would get instantly shot down.

• Like 1

The idea behind this armor is nice but since its benefits are mainly below plate the creation process should in turn be easier than plate for the different option that it makes available. Stylistically the first pic reminds me of Skyrim and I think their design would fit in with Wurm. So for a new style armor it would be nice but creation requirements need to be reduced drastically in order for players to bother with creating it.

=Ayes=

I can make this armour with my skill set and i'm hardly a veteran.

Making armor creation a bit more complex does sound interesting, but I'd take a slightly different approach. For example you don't wear chain or plate armor on your bare skin, there's other clothing below it. To encourage usage of clothing below metal armor, you could add a speed penalty to existing metal armors, then add a speed bonus for wearing cloth/fur/leather below that armor (depending on ql of the cloth/fur/leather), which can cancel out the penalty at for example ql 50-70.

end result would be that leather/tailoring would become more important as the ql of the cloth/fur/leather matters. But the plate/chain smith doesn't need to know those skills, he can just sell his product separately as his clients could buy the other clothing from somebody else.

• Like 2

Making armor creation a bit more complex does sound interesting, but I'd take a slightly different approach. For example you don't wear chain or plate armor on your bare skin, there's other clothing below it. To encourage usage of clothing below metal armor, you could add a speed penalty to existing metal armors, then add a speed bonus for wearing cloth/fur/leather below that armor (depending on ql of the cloth/fur/leather), which can cancel out the penalty at for example ql 50-70.

end result would be that leather/tailoring would become more important as the ql of the cloth/fur/leather matters. But the plate/chain smith doesn't need to know those skills, he can just sell his product separately as his clients could buy the other clothing from somebody else.

An idea above that is worse yet. With this players must buy 9 additional items, store them, carry additional weight and equip them to get the same benefit as is currently available from armors. You penalize the whole player base to benefit cloth tailors market. Hardly an equitable situation.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

That would be because Jenshiye wants it to be a drake equivalent/near equivalent, but didn't want to outright suggest it as that because it would get instantly shot down.

Either.

I have put a yes option for being nearer to Drake. I would be happy with having it halfway and less skill requirements.  :)

I'd like to see new armors but this just looks like a ton of resources and work and without it being more effective then plate I don't see anyone using it other then social or bragging

few armor types I could think of (mind you these are real armors)

For the light armors

Thatched armor/shield (finally a use for it)

Wooden armor - made with bands and planks for a quick armor for newer people

Medium

lamellar armor - cloth or hide with iron plates stitched into it

Heavy

Half plate - a chainmail/plate armor - would have less penalties then plate for movement and use less iron to make instead of steel

Heavy

Half plate - a chainmail/plate armor - would have less penalties then plate for movement and use less iron to make instead of steel

Suggested above.  ;)

I saw was just saying which armors that I felt would add to game without over complicating - the armor described here just seems very complicated with large numbers of pieces and if I got a armor that was not as good as what I own I do not think most would build

in short - I want and think wurm needs more options - just not this one - I love the creativity and would like to see maybe a refinement maybe like MK2 armors

like how leather becomes studded -

chain mail could be riveted mail (each piece of chain mail is actually closed with a small rivet making it more resistant to piercing and slashing but its less flexible nature would make it more vulnerable to bashing

OR

Padded chain mail - adding cloth backing and cotton with a padded inner shirt making it more resistant to elemental attacks and blunt - but weaker to slashing and pierceing

letting players chose which variant works for them depending on animals in region