Sign in to follow this  
Gadergan

new currency

I suggest an ingame currency that is gained by selling items to special traders located at starter deeds. This currency has no real world value, so it will improve the economy by increasing capital availibility. The traders should stop dispensing this currency after X amount of these coins is in the system.

Edited by Gadergan

But why would anyone accept those coins on trade over the already in game currency that all players have?

What would you do with the player's coins should you want to remove them and only use the new currency?

What about the shop where you can buy more coins, would you remove that?

If you won't remove the shop option to purchase coins, you've done absolutely nothing, except remove traders usefulness for 50s.. and there are TONS of threads asking for that already.. and they have already said they are working on a change

Nothing to do today either i guess? 

• Like 1

Call it nuyen.

And the only way to get it is by doing runs.

• Like 2

I was about to ask you that.

I was about to ask you that.

I just don't see how this can even be for real changing the money or adding in a new form will not do anything you are wanting. If anything take it out and just have trade would be more of what you want with no "pay to win" involved.

Sounds like inflation to me but i aint business guru.

Yah....no, this would require a crap ton of work to figure out for one, and then implementation would screw everything up atm...just no.

Currency as is is fine, and the main thing traders are hurting are CC, it's in there ballpark to make a move, not the players. (or a new currency) 

The way i read the original post is that the poster is suggesting an additional currency from an additional trader.  I see no mention of getting rid of any current game mechanics or currency.  Basically this additional system would be similar to a monetary stimulus or a quantitative easing.  Being able to pay for deed upkeep or premium with these new coins would be a must if these coins are to be universally accepted in trade.

PROS

Sounds like inflation to me but i aint business guru.

This is correct.  This additional currency would definitely exert some inflationary pressure.  However, since the price increase last year, it seems there has been some deflationary pressure in the market for crafted goods, so a bit of inflation could be a good thing.

This interesting conclusion of this suggestion is that it would give the Devs powers similar to a Central Bank, in that they could actually target the money supply with this new currency by allowing more of these 'special' coins when the market seems depressed and not dispensing more of these coins when the market is hot.

CONS

First off I don't see any reason to have a 'special' separate type of coin.  The only way people will accept this new coin is if it can do anything the old coin does, so might as well have the special trader dispense the current currency.  Also there is something similar right now with selling things to tokens.  not sure how well it works tbh, but im guessing the amount you get from that is too low to affect the market price of goods.

This currency has no real world value, so it will improve the economy by increasing capital availibility.

I am a crafter/enchanter in game, why would I accept these new coins with, as you put it "no real world value" when there are coins in circulation WITH real world value? What would you even do with value-less coins?

-1 to central banks!

Aahhhhh. The illuminati have invaded our forums!!!!!

Aaahhhhhh!!!!!

• Like 2

We already have what you are requesting! It's called Iron Coins! You get them by selling corpses and items to a settlement token. They have no value at all unless you get about a hundred thousand of them. But I guess if broke newbies want to feel like they are part of the economy they can trade using iron coins. I did it when I was a broke n00b, got a basic set of really low ql leather armor, was better than nothing at the time. 

Call it nuyen.

And the only way to get it is by doing runs.

I need a party to do that Tier 2 run, Im running out of Nuyens, and I need to buy all those potions to level up that the Herbalist NPC sells.

for players that currently have the in game currency used now it could be automatically be converted in their inventory. or they could make it sparce and people could only be able to buy unique items with only that currency. would also be sort of cool. than with the new currency they could buy the old currency to buy the unique items as well lol

Meh "money" is merely a tool that facilitates trade. If there's not enough money to go around, then there's dickering and bartering.

I need a party to do that Tier 2 run, Im running out of Nuyens, and I need to buy all those potions to level up that the Herbalist NPC sells.

I'm up for some fun if that involves banks or datacenters.

Just make your own currency. Same mechanic, no dev work needed, and you can see the effect for yourself :D

Just make your own currency. Same mechanic, no dev work needed, and you can see the effect for yourself :D

Dirt seems to work pretty well as a form of currency.

I don't really see the reason for a new currency - it seems like it would be allot of work for little to no real gain - you don't have to pay for silvers to begin with as you can just earn it - and if it was obtainable by in game means it would be just a matter of time till some form of farming alt appeared selling 10million (insert coin type) for 15 dollars and massacring the economy - also allot of players new to experienced use earned silvers to buy wurm do we just kick them to the curb? and if we can earn the coins in game does that remove purchasable months - which of course means wurm earns even less money

I just see this as adding little to nothing - causing major head aches - and killing allot of players in a small game