Dannyiron

Questions and Answers Thread: Ask your Question!

Bump :)

It is stickied, it needs no bumps.  ;)

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

What do you mean, an African or a European swallow?

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

What do you mean, an African or a European swallow?

Would it incidentally be carrying a coconut?

Question: Will naval warfare be implemented?

A: We can but hope hmm? ;)

Does skill in Medium Maul affect the damage it does while bashing walls or towers, or just perhaps mitigate the damage done to the maul per action?

I've read it on these forums that weaponskill past 50 is pointless , is this because thats when it reaches its optimal speed, wouldn't more skill make you still more likely to hit your opponent?

Does short sword actually parry more than a long , I've heard conflicting reports, how does 2 hander compare for that matter?

This question I always ask but I still don't know, whats the difference between fine and regular fishing rod besides the construction materials and end weight?

I know that you had to have been to a server before their inhabitants can send mail to you, does this work for a Mol-Rehan whose never been the jk home on a char if he goes as a MR since the new changes.

Some mailboxes can actually send larger items than others I forget which and wiki doesnt state I assume castle am I right?

Does using hunting arrows yield less archery skill in the same vein as use shafts amounts to less skill?  Then how about maple arrows since they're more accurate?

Vynoran followers of over 20 faith get a skill gain bonus :P , I know thats sort of unknown.

You believe if some gems are easier to vessel than others or is it just my imagination? 

Well I have more but I forget them now, and I've ruined my sb grinding flow enough with this post hehe, sorry if something doesn't make sense.

Edit:  Oh ya and am Im correct that creature str can't make a lg cart go faster as in , 2 champ brown bears tugging a cart isn't any better than 2 bulls? 

Thanks ha , I dont expect you to know these answers but I throw them out there in hopes maybe some players know some of the answers.

Oh ya , how much favor does the spell find Artifiact use? oh and can anyone share the get price of a 90+ql door lock or the most efficient lock per lump weight if that isn't it.

Answering the ones I know for sure:

I've read it on these forums that weaponskill past 50 is pointless , is this because thats when it reaches its optimal speed, wouldn't more skill make you still more likely to hit your opponent?

No, weaponskill up to 50 alters the damage you do and the speed you do. If I remember the numbers correct, a 0 skill player will only do 80% damage at 80% speed. As weaponskill gains, the damage is increase steadily until it hits 100% at 50 weaponskill. The weaponspeed increases in two "chunks": Once when you hit 30 skill and once you hit 50 skill.

The only thing weaponskill higher than 50 helps is in parrying and when aiming at certain parts of people.

Does short sword actually parry more than a long , I've heard conflicting reports, how does 2 hander compare for that matter?

From what I have heard, granted this is hearsay, all swords parry the same. I don't believe anyone has tested this however, so it is just hearsay.

This question I always ask but I still don't know, whats the difference between fine and regular fishing rod besides the construction materials and end weight?

I've found fine fishing rods don't break as often, but that's possibly also because I always imp those higher.

Does using hunting arrows yield less archery skill in the same vein as use shafts amounts to less skill?  Then how about maple arrows since they're more accurate?

The reason shafts yield less skill is a distinct modifier Rolf added to prevent exploiting. Hunting arrows should yield as much skill as war arrows when shooting, if not more at lower levels since they probably hit more.

Vynoran followers of over 20 faith get a skill gain bonus :P , I know thats sort of unknown.

Rolf has both agreed and disagreed to this, so it could be both

Oh ya , how much favor does the spell find Artifiact use? o

70, Iirc, it's on the wiki.

Thank you Miggy appreciate the info, especially the weapon skill figures those are something I've never seen before.  Since the shield nerf higher parry rate would seem quite the incentive to continue training though.

And after re-reading my post I couldn't help but laugh, I promise I'm not a spastic squirrel with add.  That's just what happens when you quickly type out what you were thinking while frantically trying to keep 2 client queued up constantly, trains of thought with no transition ha.  Just saying in case some who knows me after reading thought I recently suffered head trauma or something, nah I'm coo.

And to clarify the mailbox question, I know that some haven't let me send pickaxes but the wiki states its possible.  I guess I didn't seem the favor requirement for locate artifact maybe its a more recent addition as I checked a long time ago before starting the priest.

I've got another question though.. Miggy you're Kyaran so which of yous stole my Cog first day of server raids -_- .  Hehe nah all's fair.

Oh and another one, anyone who's ridden a croc what its regular baseline speed.  Normally they're pretty fast so I'm curious.

I think the 'higher parry rate' could be debated if it's even there or not, If it is, The difference between 50 and well over 90 is not worth grinding for at all, believe me.

You get another special move at 60 weapon skill i guess, but the 60 weapon skill special move for swords blows.

I also agree with the 'all weapons parry the same' statement, I have not noticed a difference between longsword and shortsword, even with some pretty massive skill differences in the 2.

I think Awesomfusion took your Cog, lol.

I've got another question though.. Miggy you're Kyaran so which of yous stole my Cog first day of server raids -_- .  Hehe nah all's fair.

Probably either Awesomefusion or Iaqb, they're the ones who's spent most time over there AFAIK. If it's not one of them, I've no clue.

nah I'm coo.

coo-coo crazy? explains alot :P

Oh and another one, anyone who's ridden a croc what its regular baseline speed.  Normally they're pretty fast so I'm curious.

I dont believe you can ride crocs, there is no option for it when it is tamed, unless you need some kind of saddle or something?

Just asked rolf about this

<Drega> will crocs ever become rideable?

<&Rolf> they are if you have insane body control

i wonder what kind of body control we are looking at here... *strokes chin*

Edit: <&Rolf> nah wasn't ridable

so you can't ride them, don't know if this is gonna change *fingers crossed*

Edit 2: Rosie has just informed me she can ride her crocs so yay :D Her young greenish is going 11.42km/h atm and it takes passengers at the same speed  ;D

Grats to Rosie, my but I miss her greatly :(

Ditto, I miss rosie :(

She must have that taming skill she gained if she has a greenish croc ;)

• Like 1

how long does it take for an animal to grow from adolescent to mature?

Q: how long does it take for an animal to grow from adolescent to mature?

A: Maybe 2 or 3 real life weeks; at any rate a time faster than young -> adolescent and faster than mature -> aged. The whole process of young -> venerable takes approximately 5 real life months if that's any clue.

Q: Does skill in Medium Maul affect the damage it does while bashing walls or towers, or just perhaps mitigate the damage done to the maul per action?

A: I'm not sure if it affects either - I've always been a low skill so I couldn't state for definite - but I think the damage done to walls or towers is specific only to the quality of the maul being used and the fence or structure in question for bashing. I also think that damage done to the maul is based on quality alone and that's why you want a high quality maul, along with the fact that it does more damage.

Q: I've read it on these forums that weaponskill past 50 is pointless , is this because thats when it reaches its optimal speed, wouldn't more skill make you still more likely to hit your opponent?

A: Technically I think so, but I'm no fighter so I might not have as much insight knowledge. I think the reference to being pointless past 50 may be around the connotation that it is hard work, it doesn't reward you enough for the time or effort put into considerable gain etc etc. but I doubt it would be completely useless to keep gaining past 50.

Q: Does short sword actually parry more than a long , I've heard conflicting reports, how does 2 hander compare for that matter?

A: I believe they parry around the same rate if you had equal skill in both and equal quality weapons; although I'd expect a longsword to be a better parrier considering it's additional length. Short sword is traditionally known for being fast in attack but low in damage; compared to longsword with medium fastness but medium damage. A two hander, slow attacker but high damage. I'd imagine that it parries better than a longsword considering for one the size of it, and the fact that you can't get a shield along with it in order to compensate, but I don't use a two hander to tell.

Q: This question I always ask but I still don't know, whats the difference between fine and regular fishing rod besides the construction materials and end weight?

A: I believe that the fine fishing rod suffers less damage and is prone to catching heavier or bigger fish. Maybe Tich/Pifa would be better to ask for this one ;)

Q:  know that you had to have been to a server before their inhabitants can send mail to you, does this work for a Mol-Rehan whose never been the jk home on a char if he goes as a MR since the new changes.

A: No idea I'm afraid, sorry. I don't do much travelling myself, let alone inter-server.

Q: Some mailboxes can actually send larger items than others I forget which and wiki doesnt state I assume castle am I right?

A: I believe a castle can send the largest items, yes. I can't see why not - it might just be more ornate for aesthetical purposes, but whether it has any ergonomical impact is to be tested - but I would assume they make very little difference; I just use any mailbox I can find.

Q: Does using hunting arrows yield less archery skill in the same vein as use shafts amounts to less skill?  Then how about maple arrows since they're more accurate?

Q: Does using hunting arrows yield less archery skill in the same vein as use shafts amounts to less skill?  Then how about maple arrows since they're more accurate?

A: Hunting arrows and war arrows are not PvE or PvP specific, despite what the names might allude to. Hunting arrows are easier to create, have a higher hit rate and does lower damage. War arrows are harder to create, have a lower hit rate and does higher damage. The reason you might gain more skill from either is because of how the wurm skilling system works. As you might know, you get most skill when you have a 50% chance of hitting stuff, which means that if you're a new archer, and you can't hit the side of a barn for the sake of your life, you're going to need every help you can get. On the contrary, if you're a very highly skilled marksman and you want to skill higher, you need to find constantly more ways to penalise yourself for more skill. Do note that this can also be done by adjusting the range at which you shoot, which is also how you should be skilling on an archery target. When shooting wildlife, however, range might not always be convenient to penalise yourself with, seeing as if you get too close the animal will run after you, and if you get too far away you can't select and shoot the animal properly. Like I mentioned in my previous reply, arrow shafts give as low skill as they do because people would spam arrowshafts then shoot pigs for skill. This would ruin the concept of arrows being hard to make, and being valuable, and would make skilling much easier than intended. Therefore Rolf added a modifier that reduced all skill gained when using arrowshafts, so that people would use actual arrows to train instead. The reason war arrows are nearly always used in PvP is due to the skill of most PvP archers and the quality of the equipment used. When you have 40 archery skill and 30 bow subskill using a 70ql bow and 50ql arrows you won't have a hard time hitting unless you get a couple of tiles out of range. When you have, say 80 archery skill and 70 bow subskill (legshot skill) using 85ql bows and 70ql arrows, you more or less won't miss at all. Therefore there's no reason to not use war arrows, you won't miss, you'll just do more damage. As for the wood types being used to create arrows, no wood type makes the arrows hit more. There are two "special" types of wood, those are cedar and maple. Cedar arrows get the bonus of being grossly easier to imp. For instance, newly created cedar-arrows (15-25ql) will often do a 10ql jump the first imp, then slightly lower on their second imp. Other woodtypes might "only" jump 5-8ql. Maple arrows take less damage than other arrow types, and possibly also break less.

Q: Vynoran followers of over 20 faith get a skill gain bonus :P , I know thats sort of unknown.

A: Never been able to prove it but I've heard that one for a very long time. I heard rumors that it was only for priests however, so I suspect it may be 30+ faith and priesthood.

Q: You believe if some gems are easier to vessel than others or is it just my imagination? 

A: They're all equally easy or hard to vessel I believe - but it's not easy to do in the first place. You may have just been getting lucky with particular gems.

Well I have more but I forget them now, and I've ruined my sb grinding flow enough with this post hehe, sorry if something doesn't make sense.

Q: Oh ya and am Im correct that creature str can't make a lg cart go faster as in , 2 champ brown bears tugging a cart isn't any better than 2 bulls? 

A: A champion bear won't do better than a regular one - but I do believe that a bear will drag a cart faster than a bull. Iirc, a bear drags it at 1.5km/h, and a bull drags about 1 km/h.

Thanks ha , I dont expect you to know these answers but I throw them out there in hopes maybe some players know some of the answers.

Q: how much favor does the spell find Artifiact use?

A: Believe it's the same amount as the faith required to use it, but I'm no priest.

Q: oh and can anyone share the get price of a 90+ql door lock or the most efficient lock per lump weight if that isn't it.

A: I'll get an actual figure for one of my 85-90ql locks later assuming they're still there, but it won't be very high, not like a gem.

A: I think the type of wood used in the arrow doesn't matter for skillgain; it matters for other things but not skillgain used in archery. I would imagine that using war arrows would yield more; because they're not great in PvE, only PvP, and they're harder to use in PvP. Hunting arrows being for PvE as well aren't great for PvP I don't think. I'd imagine theyr'e more skill than arrowshafts though, considering the process involved.

Just going to comment on this:

Hunting arrows and war arrows are not PvE or PvP specific, despite what the names might allude to. Hunting arrows are easier to create, have a higher hit rate and does lower damage. War arrows are harder to create, have a lower hit rate and does higher damage.

The reason you might gain more skill from either is because of how the wurm skilling system works. As you might know, you get most skill when you have a 50% chance of hitting stuff, which means that if you're a new archer, and you can't hit the side of a barn for the sake of your life, you're going to need every help you can get. On the contrary, if you're a very highly skilled marksman and you want to skill higher, you need to find constantly more ways to penalise yourself for more skill. Do note that this can also be done by adjusting the range at which you shoot, which is also how you should be skilling on an archery target. When shooting wildlife, however, range might not always be convenient to penalise yourself with, seeing as if you get too close the animal will run after you, and if you get too far away you can't select and shoot the animal properly.

Like I mentioned in my previous reply, arrow shafts give as low skill as they do because people would spam arrowshafts then shoot pigs for skill. This would ruin the concept of arrows being hard to make, and being valuable, and would make skilling much easier than intended. Therefore Rolf added a modifier that reduced all skill gained when using arrowshafts, so that people would use actual arrows to train instead.

The reason war arrows are nearly always used in PvP is due to the skill of most PvP archers and the quality of the equipment used. When you have 40 archery skill and 30 bow subskill using a 70ql bow and 50ql arrows you won't have a hard time hitting unless you get a couple of tiles out of range. When you have, say 80 archery skill and 70 bow subskill (legshot skill) using 85ql bows and 70ql arrows, you more or less won't miss at all. Therefore there's no reason to not use war arrows, you won't miss, you'll just do more damage.

As for the wood types being used to create arrows, no wood type makes the arrows hit more. There are two "special" types of wood, those are cedar and maple. Cedar arrows get the bonus of being grossly easier to imp. For instance, newly created cedar-arrows (15-25ql) will often do a 10ql jump the first imp, then slightly lower on their second imp. Other woodtypes might "only" jump 5-8ql.

Maple arrows take less damage than other arrow types, and possibly also break less.

Trust me, a non archer to give the wrong info.

Thanks miggy, I'll change to your answer

I actually have a question:

Q: Does Nutrition deplete? if so, at what rate/how often? I know it will go down if you eat a low nutrition food such as meat but will it deplete automatically?

I actually have a question:

Q: Does Nutrition deplete? if so, at what rate/how often? I know it will go down if you eat a low nutrition food such as meat but will it deplete automatically?

No, only when you eat poorer types of food.

Awesome, thanks!

I thought it depleted over time.. heck I'm happy :)