Dannyiron

Questions and Answers Thread: Ask your Question!

2 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

The city where you went on Xanadu is obviously Greymead. A way to find out where you are is looking for a highway, roads at least 2 tiles wide with green catseyes in the middle. After a while you may find a waystone there with pointer signs to the next settlement (distance in tiles). You may look up the settlement names in community map https://wurmonlinemaps.com/xanadu.

Another way would be to spawn on a starter town after you died. There is a list with the respawn locations in the death window. That is normally not recommendable as most of your gear will remain in the corpse. If you don't bother you may enter /suicide in the chat window for a fast death.

For the tutorial, you have not to be on Independence, and not on Haven's Landing. You may just enter /tutorial to restart the tutorial. All starter towns have public mines nearby, and of course there are opportunities to dig and cut wood.

Thanks.  Are there starter towns on Xanadu?    I don't remember seeing any when I played last night when I went to spawn there. But when I died I'm pretty sure I saw something that said starter but it put me in the middle of nowhere and there wasn't anything around me.

The only NPCs in this game are: tower guards, spirit templars (aka deed guards), player owned merchants, traders and the bartender.

The starter deeds are the only deeds that were put down by the GMs, but i believe they were still built up by the players. 

Edited by atazs

My question is how can I find where I am and get back to a Village?  And if I do make it back to a village how can I go back to Independence?    The first village I spawned at didn't have a portal to get back to Independence. They only had an Epic portal to get to Epic.

That portal you used to get to Xanadu is only available for new players in the Haven's Landing starter town on Independance.  It's one way.  Once you use it to get to another server, there is no portal to use to go back.

That portal is to give new players who have a server they want to go to a way to go from the Haven's Landing starter spawn server to that other server they'd prefer starting at.

Now you can still return to Independance, but it'd involve crafting a boat or finding a player who already has a boat and is willing to let you sail back to Independance on theirs with them.

Edited by Tristanc

Had a question about house building.

So my friend and I were trying to get enough materials to build a house which we did fairly quickly.

He was going to go first and he said that his 1x1 or whatever would require him to use his mallet 20 times on ONE wall. Each time taking 30 seconds and using his whole stam bar.

That's crazy lol

If my math is right that will take 2,400 seconds of just playing the waiting game of hitting your mallet on a wall. Not including the roof. And that's not counting the few seconds to regain stamina every time.

What's even funnier is it takes 80 planks but only 4 nails??

Is there anyway to reduce the time to it takes to complete the action of hammering a plank or something to speed up the whole process?   I could understand a mansion or something taking forever but a 1 foundation shack? Come on now.

The quality of the tools, enchants on tools and your skill all reduces the timer for the action.

In that case a high quality mallet/hammer with enchants (wind of ages/blessing of the dark) and high carpentry skill.

You get better at what you do in Wurm Online. Higher skills actually has a function as you get a better success rate, higher speed and you can use the skills to get higher quality outcome. As your skills grow you can make better tools, which also helps alot.

Hope thta was more clarifying than demoralizing. :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nordlys said:

The quality of the tools, enchants on tools and your skill all reduces the timer for the action.

In that case a high quality mallet/hammer with enchants (wind of ages/blessing of the dark) and high carpentry skill.

You get better at what you do in Wurm Online. Higher skills actually has a function as you get a better success rate, higher speed and you can use the skills to get higher quality outcome. As your skills grow you can make better tools, which also helps alot.

Hope thta was more clarifying than demoralizing. :)

Thanks, yes that is more encouraging to keep skilling up. At least I hope that is the case. What I mean is I'm literally only a couple days in so I'm a complete noob and it will probably be forever from now til I learn about enchants. So I'm hoping just having high QL items and skills is enough to lower the amount of time for most things?

Also I have a question about Meditation for anyone who is familiar with it.

I heard by someone in one of the help chats that Meditation gave you +25% to all skill gains or some of them I can't remember as it was last night and I was overwhelmed with information.

Is that true?

I did look up Meditation on the Wurmpedia but it doesn't really explain what Meditating does exactly in Wurm.  It only explained the special abilities you get from following a certain path of meditation and how to skill up meditation directly.

So what does Meditation do exactly?

32 minutes ago, AnotherChris said:

Thanks, yes that is more encouraging to keep skilling up. At least I hope that is the case. What I mean is I'm literally only a couple days in so I'm a complete noob and it will probably be forever from now til I learn about enchants. So I'm hoping just having high QL items and skills is enough to lower the amount of time for most things?

Also I have a question about Meditation for anyone who is familiar with it.

I heard by someone in one of the help chats that Meditation gave you +25% to all skill gains or some of them I can't remember as it was last night and I was overwhelmed with information.

Is that true?

I did look up Meditation on the Wurmpedia but it doesn't really explain what Meditating does exactly in Wurm.  It only explained the special abilities you get from following a certain path of meditation and how to skill up meditation directly.

So what does Meditation do exactly?

Meditation skill itself just unlocks the ability to advance on different levels of each meditation path. You choose one of the paths to follow which have certain abilities or bonuses at certain levels (see each path page). Only Path of Knowledge has the skillgain bonus. You’d need level 70 meditation skill AND to unlock each step along the path (answer questions on special tile). It’s a long-term skill. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LionIX said:

Meditation skill itself just unlocks the ability to advance on different levels of each meditation path. You choose one of the paths to follow which have certain abilities or bonuses at certain levels (see each path page). Only Path of Knowledge has the skillgain bonus. You’d need level 70 meditation skill AND to unlock each step along the path (answer questions on special tile). It’s a long-term skill. 

Ahh thanks. I see that now. 

Is it worth it to go down Patch of Knowledge first just to get that permanent skill gain?  Then once you max all skills change paths? I want to try PvP on steam so would like to max all skills and quickly as possible and then go down the rage path or whatever to get the bonus damage. 

I also had one silly question they I'm probably overlooking. But, when I played last night I don't remember seeing how much sleeping bonus time I had saved up. Is there a way to check? 

Thanks again everyone. 

24 minutes ago, AnotherChris said:

Ahh thanks. I see that now. 

Is it worth it to go down Patch of Knowledge first just to get that permanent skill gain?  Then once you max all skills change paths? I want to try PvP on steam so would like to max all skills and quickly as possible and then go down the rage path or whatever to get the bonus damage. 

I also had one silly question they I'm probably overlooking. But, when I played last night I don't remember seeing how much sleeping bonus time I had saved up. Is there a way to check? 

Thanks again everyone. 

It takes years of dedication and daily meditations for the average player to reach 70 meditation for the 25% skillgain. It's an extremely long grind, you can only meditate a certain number of times a day, and you aren't guaranteed to get a skill tick and you also need a very highly enchanted rug. Not to discourage you, but if you already find a 1x1 house to take too long, you most likely will never get it.

If you want more skillgain, start following Vynora as you get a +10% skillgain. 

You can check your sleepbonus by hovering over your status bar in the top left corner.

Also i hope you know that you will need to create a brand new character to play on the new steam servers, and that the path of hate damage bonus on the steam PvP server will be replaced with a lockpicking bonus instead.

Meditation as a skill will also be seperate between the new Steam PvE and the PvP servers, meaning you will have to grind it on whatever server you plan on playing, and the 25% skillgain bonus will be unavailable on the PvP server.

Edited by atazs

1 hour ago, atazs said:

It takes years of dedication and daily meditations for the average player to reach 70 meditation for the 25% skillgain. It's an extremely long grind, you can only meditate a certain number of times a day, and you aren't guaranteed to get a skill tick and you also need a very highly enchanted rug. Not to discourage you, but if you already find a 1x1 house to take too long, you most likely will never get it.

If you want more skillgain, start following Vynora as you get a +10% skillgain. 

You can check your sleepbonus by hovering over your status bar in the top left corner.

Also i hope you know that you will need to create a brand new character to play on the new steam servers, and that the path of hate damage bonus on the steam PvP server will be replaced with a lockpicking bonus instead.

Meditation as a skill will also be seperate between the new Steam PvE and the PvP servers, meaning you will have to grind it on whatever server you plan on playing, and the 25% skillgain bonus will be unavailable on the PvP server.

Awesome thanks for the tips. I'm well aware of Steam requiring new characters. That's what got me into Wurm was seeing the trailer posted to an MMO sub on Reddit so I'm just on the original severs learning the game before the Steam servers come out. 

• Like 1

Ran into a problem while me and a friend were building a house together.

We started off with a 1 tile 3 wall + 1 door shack so 4 walls and a roof basically. Fully completed.

Well we decided to flatten the tile beside our house and add another floor on the same level so that it would be a 1x2 I guess is the correct dimensions (2 floors, 6 walls including the door)

Well we got all the walls up on that one and now it won't let us remove the middle wall what so ever.

We tried taking out the ceiling and the floor on the first house thinking it would let us take a wall out after those were gone but nope.

What we are trying to do is add a floor and a roof on the second floor we built but it won't let us because we are standing outside of the new room and it won't let us take a wall out either.

Adding a pic so you can see what I'm trying to do.

How do we go about adding a roof and floor to the new room or removing the center wall so we can get in there to do so?  There is no option to remove any walls when right clicking. It only let us take out a floor and roof on the original room.

Thanks!

Here's the pic:       https://paste.pics/69649ce32e16aa3eea6b0e776948a883

3 minutes ago, AnotherChris said:

Ran into a problem while me and a friend were building a house together.

We started off with a 1 tile 3 wall + 1 door shack so 4 walls and a roof basically. Fully completed.

Well we decided to flatten the tile beside our house and add another floor on the same level so that it would be a 1x2 I guess is the correct dimensions (2 floors, 6 walls including the door)

Well we got all the walls up on that one and now it won't let us remove the middle wall what so ever.

We tried taking out the ceiling and the floor on the first house thinking it would let us take a wall out after those were gone but nope.

What we are trying to do is add a floor and a roof on the second floor we built but it won't let us because we are standing outside of the new room and it won't let us take a wall out either.

Adding a pic so you can see what I'm trying to do.

How do we go about adding a roof and floor to the new room or removing the center wall so we can get in there to do so?  There is no option to remove any walls when right clicking. It only let us take out a floor and roof on the original room.

Thanks!

Here's the pic:       https://paste.pics/69649ce32e16aa3eea6b0e776948a883

Try activating club/maul/carving knife, then right click middle wall and destroy. 

9 minutes ago, LionIX said:

Try activating club/maul/carving knife, then right click middle wall and destroy. 

Will try in the AM. 

I'm guessing a mallet won't work? Cause that's what we used. 

We're going to feel so stupid if it was that easy because it gave us the option to destroy the floor and roof with a mallet. So we assumed it would have worked for the wall too. 

Alright so tried again first thing this morning with a carving knife and same exact thing. No option what so ever to remove a wall.

Only thing that shows up when right clicking is permissions and rotate wall.

How come I can't remove the wall??? 😡

Edit: So I found out the only way to remove the wall is with 21 skill?  Which free players can't get?

So basically free players are limited to a 1x1 house because if they add to their existing house and want to widen it then they will be stuck with a wall in the middle and can't remove it?

What a crock of 🤬

Edited by AnotherChris

@AnotherChrisDid you only try the carving knife? Have you tried a maul? What other tools have you tried to remove it? Also, are you the one who originally built the building? Do you have destroy permissions on the building? Are you on a deed, if so, is it yours? And if not, do you have destroy permissions on deed? The permissions system can sometimes be what keeps you from destroying things, if you aren't the one who completed the building plan, or if it is not on your deed. 

22 minutes ago, AnotherChris said:

So basically free players are limited to a 1x1 house because if they add to their existing house and want to widen it then they will be stuck with a wall in the middle and can't remove it?

What a crock of 🤬

Lots of helpful players in wurm

Ask around and you might get help to bash the wall 

6 minutes ago, Bakhita said:

@AnotherChrisDid you only try the carving knife? Have you tried a maul? What other tools have you tried to remove it? Also, are you the one who originally built the building? Do you have destroy permissions on the building? Are you on a deed, if so, is it yours? And if not, do you have destroy permissions on deed? The permissions system can sometimes be what keeps you from destroying things, if you aren't the one who completed the building plan, or if it is not on your deed. 

I have 14 carpentry skill.  I tried a carving knife, a mallet, a saw, a sword, a hatchet. Basically all my starting tools.  There is just no option to destroy the wall and I doubt any tool will change that.    

Someone said I will need 21 skill in Body or something to bash it.

I own the buildings. It's not a deed just a shack out in the woods.

I was able to destroy the roof and the floor on the same exact building just fine.  I only did that because I thought that was what was preventing me from taking that wall out. But nope still can't take it out.

What I did was start with a 1x1 frame. And completed it with walls, door, roof, and a floor.  It was fully complete.  Then I got my carpentry skill up to 14 and decided I wanted to add another floor to the side to widen it making it so there's more room in the house for storage and what not so I built another 1x1 beside it and once I got all the walls done it wouldn't let me place a roof or a floor because I wasn't inside the tile and I can't get inside the tile because that wall is in the way. 

@AnotherChrisI agree with @Maiya, this is a pretty helpful community. What server are you on? I'm sure you can find folks to help you get that one wall down. And if all else fails, I do believe you have the option under your character window if you right click body, go to buildings, you'll see a list of your buildings there. You can destroy the whole building from there (demolish building, I think, off to the right), then start over with a new plan. 

7 minutes ago, Bakhita said:

@AnotherChrisI agree with @Maiya, this is a pretty helpful community. What server are you on? I'm sure you can find folks to help you get that one wall down. And if all else fails, I do believe you have the option under your character window if you right click body, go to buildings, you'll see a list of your buildings there. You can destroy the whole building from there (demolish building, I think, off to the right), then start over with a new plan. 

I'm just right outside of Greymead (I think is the name not on to check) on Xanadu but I don't want to waste anyone's time with it.  I'm just here learning the game and mechanics before the Steam launch. Just a bit frustrated at the building system so far.

If im reading the rules correctly, i can extend my existing deed across an adjacent highway and build on both sides as long as I do not block usage of said highway. Is that correct?

Spoiler

This is how it is now.

https://imgur.com/DRHy7IiDRHy7Ii.jpg

This is what i want.

VJEBNk7.jpg

19 minutes ago, xReesex said:

If im reading the rules correctly, i can extend my existing deed across an adjacent highway and build on both sides as long as I do not block usage of said highway. Is that correct?

Hide contents

This is how it is now.

https://imgur.com/DRHy7IiDRHy7Ii.jpg

This is what i want.

VJEBNk7.jpg

Yes, you can deed on the highway as long as it remains free to use for everyone. You cannot block it or disconnect it (if you disconnect it, make an alternative route around your deed, but i guess thats the point of deeding over it?) - and you may not have KOS (Kill on sight) active.

Highway Rules:
A ) You may not intentionally disable an active highway connection by removing the catseyes without rerouting or replacing them promptly .
    1> Deeds retain the right to disconnect from the highway system by removal of their waystone and any deactivated catseyes on their deed and perimeter.

B ) You may not intentionally block an active highway with locked structures. (This is known to cause problems for the Wagoner system.)

Edited by Nordlys

What are "Optional Experimental Files" on the setting cog on launcher?

Haven't gotten into the Religion part of the game yet. Been doing research and am curious if you can be a follower or priest of Libila on the Freedom cluster? 

I've been searching for the answer but I'm only finding stuff from years ago where they say no. 

But I found the following on Wurmpedia and it mentions a PvP only tile ability and a PvE ability so maybe they changed it? 

Follower abilities

• (PvP Only) Followers of Libila can absorb mycelium, healing a random wound for 7 damage. This consumes the mycelium tile.
  • (PvE Only) “Consume Corpse” ability to regain health from corpses by consuming their residual life energy.
Edited by AnotherChris

You can be Libila follower on Freedom. All you need is a follower with a Libila statuette at minimum who can convert you. https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Convert#Changing_Religion . You need a minimum body strength to be converted.

To become a priest you need to pray up your faith to 30, and be premium. Conversion can be done by a priest on Freedom, or on the bone altar on Chaos (and prolly Defiance in the future).

A couple questions about follower abilities:

1. Mag and Lib followers get “+1 Offensive CR.”  Does anyone have a sense of whether this provides a substantive benefit in PvE combat, particularly at low FS?  I’ve read the wiki page on CR but it’s difficult to translate that into a projection about the effect this ability would actually have in-game.

2. Fo followers “receive a 25% bonus to passive stamina regeneration.” I’m having trouble understanding how this provides any major benefit, but am I just not getting it?  How/when is this ability useful?  Does it have some kind of secondary effect in certain situations?

I’d also be interested in people’s thoughts as to why someone might choose Fo, Mag or Lib over Vyn, as a follower.