Dannyiron

Questions and Answers Thread: Ask your Question!

how do i write to Eir and Levedara?  :-\

It's possible to send them forum PMs. If you can't it's probably just because you haven't made enough posts on the forum (you have to make 5 iirc, as a precaution against all the spam bots).

Hi, i started the game with friends a few days ago. We would MAYBE like to set up on our own someday but are currently working in a big village. We read a lot of the wiki and one thing we noticed was how much is costs to run a deed, even a small one.

So far from around 3 days ingame we have managed to make about 10 iron between us. So, does anyone have any tips on what is the best way of making money in Wurm? Enough to live on your own deed preferably.

Would it be crafting and selling to merchants, or NPCs? Hunting? Crafting? We have no idea, we have managed to make ourselves a lot of things from wood but they are generally ''worthless'' when we get a price for a merchant to buy our items.

You can buy silver in the Wurm shop with real money: 1€ buys you one silver.

It's the same shop you buy prem from, which you need if you want to set up a village, because you can't buy villages on the non-prem server Golden Valley.

Once you're on a prem server, you no longer have the skill cap, which means that you will eventually be able to make better QL products, which, in turn, sell for more money.

AFAIK a trader comes with each village (someone please confirm), so you can then sell some stuff to players on him, too.

Selling too much stuff to NPCs is not recommended btw, because they only have a limited amount of money on them, and selling them lots of stuff they can't resell (because nobody wants it) drains them of money.

I see, i did actually wonder what everyone was talking about when they mentioned ''draining'' a merchant, or a village/deed.

I forgot to mention, we went straight onto the Wild server on our first day, because we like a stupidly big challenge i guess.

I don't really want to get into the habit of spending real life cash to pay for things in the game, i'd sooner earn it ingame and would just rather stop playing if success requires real life currency to purchase virtual currency. I'm sure it can be a big help, but i'd rather ''get by'' and learn how to make cash on my own. I have two friends with me so we can work on making more things to sell, we just weren't really sure where to sell these things once we made them.

I assume all the rubbish low QL items we make at first we might aswell scrap or burn if we can't vendor them? Also when i mentioned selling the items, i meant the NPC ones in the starter towns, or can you drain them of cash also? I thought the money on the non-player owned ones just gave cash from another source? I am new though and only have the wiki to help so much, people ingame seem to tire of basic questions quite fast. :D

You either have to find a public trader to take money from, or, you have to buy a private one.

Yea, for the most part, real life currency isn't neccisary for survival and success on some level, but at some point you will eventually need to buy something.  A deed requries silver, and silver comes very rarely on it's own, or through items you can make ingame.  So yea, if you want a deed, you need to spend some extra real life cash.  If you don't want a deed of your own, then no, you can live without it.  It's just that much harder as death means you need to make a really long trip from your spawn point to where you live.

Oh, i see... i thought you gained your deed (or chosen village where you take up residence) as an additional spawn point. That's part of the reason we wanted our own deed, so we could live out in the middle of nowhere and res there, etc. Hmm, kind of makes me rethink it, specially if it's that hard just to pay for our land.

AFAIK a trader comes with each village (someone please confirm)

They used to come with size10+ villages. Now after the change they come with no village, you have to purchase them for 50s.

AFAIK a trader comes with each village (someone please confirm)

They used to come with size10+ villages. Now after the change they come with no village, you have to purchase them for 50s.

And then, for reasons rolf refuses to explain, some of them don't get any money and some of them get lots of money.

Do mine doors stop creatures walking into and out of your mine?

Yes, however it is still possible for cave bugs to spawn inside.

Not nessessarily I have seen creatures definately walk out of and sometimes walk into a mine with a door on it, usually depends if you're fighting it or not it will follow you in.

that explains how a spider followed me out of our mine then.

but i have a mine in troll country that i log out in, id hate to log in next to a champ troll that wondered in.

Question about deed draining. To drain, do you simply need to be on the deed or be on the pedistal tile?

Or the tile next to the pedistal tile?

thx

Deed question:  The wiki was a bit vague on this.  If a fence is right on the external border of a deed, and if someone stands on the other side of the dence (outside the deed) and attacks the fence, will the deed guards attack them?  Or will they ignore them, since technically they are outside the deed. 

Archery question:  I believe I read something about this in a release note, but cannot find it now.  Archery is possible through doorways and windows, and across low fences now, yes?  If so, is it also possible to attack in hand-to-hand through these same areas? 

Deed question:  The wiki was a bit vague on this.  If a fence is right on the external border of a deed, and if someone stands on the other side of the dence (outside the deed) and attacks the fence, will the deed guards attack them?  Or will they ignore them, since technically they are outside the deed.   

The can't bash the fence if it's on-deed.

The can't bash the fence if it's on-deed.

How do Wildlings attack one another then?

What I meant was "you can't bash a fence on-deed without attracting guards from what I understand, but I don't think they can attack you until you've entered the deed but get a Wilder to confirm/dement this statement", I see now that my post was full of typos and missing the last part though. Lol.

What is the maximum amount of land that can be deeded and paid with an upkeep of one silver a month? (considering no guards)

What I meant was "you can't bash a fence on-deed without attracting guards from what I understand, but I don't think they can attack you until you've entered the deed but get a Wilder to confirm/dement this statement", I see now that my post was full of typos and missing the last part though. Lol.

OK yes, sorry I forgot to specify this is Wild I'm talking about.  Though it looks like people figured that out.  ;D

So what you're saying is if someone stands on the tile just outside of a deed and attempts to bash a fence on the border of that deed, they will simply not have the option?  OK, kinda odd, but makes sense... they have to step onto the deed (thus exposing them to attack) before they get the option.  But so what if your deed is 100% walled/gated off... is the only option for attackers, to pick the lock on the gate? 

What about if they park a catapult 4 tiles away from the deed and start raining rocks down onto deed structures?  Will the deed guard(s) step off the deed to attack the enemy? 

So what you're saying is if someone stands on the tile just outside of a deed and attempts to bash a fence on the border of that deed, they will simply not have the option? 

No what I meant was that they can bash it but as soon as they touch the deed border the guards'll show up. :) Sorry for any confusion, but I am not completely sure of whether or not the village is "put on alert" as soon as something touches the fence to bash it. I'm under the impression that it is, but we really need a wild player to show up in the thread. xP

Has anyone else noticed fighting much worse going from 70 to say, 25 nutrition? It was an instant effect and very noticeable as I was low on food but high nutrition, and ate meat for a while. Damage doesn't seem to be affected, but missing definitely does.

nice thread Danny, very helpful, thnx

Does stamina affect skill gain?

Scenario:

Meaning, instead of using a 1ql pickaxe and mine with full stamina everytime. Couldn't you use a 90ql pickaxe and keep on queing the actions with 0 stamina to get more skill gain?

For a lot of actions skillgain is determined by the duration of the action. A 10 second at 100% stamina timer will give you less skill than a 30 second timer at 1% stamina.

If you're working on a limited resource like making grape juice you can get more skill from the same amount of grapes by keeping stamina low.