Dannyiron

Questions and Answers Thread: Ask your Question!

You can rotate the staircase until you see a tile border. Then plan your wall and reverse the rotation. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Yaga said:

You can rotate the staircase until you see a tile border. Then plan your wall and reverse the rotation. 

MANY THANKS!!👍 I did it!

Is it actually possible to build a Hobbithole? Some guide on steam said it was, but didn’t explain how. I imagine you’d need to find or create a hill and then tunnel into it? But how would you panel it with wood and protect it from rapid water related decay? 

15 hours ago, AragornII said:

Is it actually possible to build a Hobbithole? Some guide on steam said it was, but didn’t explain how. I imagine you’d need to find or create a hill and then tunnel into it? But how would you panel it with wood and protect it from rapid water related decay? 

You would need to mine into rock.  You can construct a building inside the resulting cave/mine, so you can have a door at the back of the mine entrance, if you want your door to be vertical instead of leaning back.

I would recommend reading up a bit on mining on Wurmpedia.  Like everything else in Wurm, there is a lot you can do.

I don't think there is a water-related decay mechanic at all.  To prevent mine cave-ins you can reinforce the cave walls with support beams (which are craftable and are in your crafting recipes).

Edited by TheTrickster

Can I shorten or void the perimeter tiles (the 5 tiles minimum requirement), if the bordering deed is my own deed, and the second deed is an extension of it?

No, unfortunately. Every deed has to have a perimeter, regardless of ownership.

• Like 1

Hey all,

I have an alt character I am playing and planning on priesting in the near-ish future (when I've got all the base skills I want it to have) I have a lot of unclaimed journal rewards, does anybody know what happens to these once I priest? I'm not sure if I should be claiming and using them now or if I'm able to save them for use afterwards.

Hey everyone!

I'm an new player but I'm really lost as to how to begin. I've just been following the tutorials collecting resources around the first village I came across. If any of you could point me in the right direction I'd be really grateful!  

• Like 1

@thistlepipWelcome to Wurm Online! If you haven't read this yet, do: https://wurm.gg/new . It's a link to our Wurmpedia on your first days in Wurm Online!

Then, start doing a bit of reading on your chosen server/cluster. Each one has its own section here on the forums. Maybe you can find a deed recruiting new members where you live, where you could get your start with people who like to help new players such as yourself! The in-game CA Help channel is for your game mechanics questions. Your local Freedom channel is just for your server. The GL-Freedom channel is for the Freedom kingdoms (both clusters). 

Have fun!

Can someone help walk me through making a small knarr cave canal?

The wiki article on canals just confused me more. My terraforming knowledge is zero but I do have a strongwall priest

Edited by MrCak

Can trolls bash through tall hedges or camellia hedges?

On 10/13/2022 at 2:59 PM, Ayuna said:

Can trolls bash through tall hedges or camellia hedges?

Yes, if they want to.

(Players would be smart enough to activate a hatchet and use the Cut Down action instead)

The new timers are great but they don't seem to activate on my alt characters. 

For my main i get the meditation timer automatically, but for my alts i still need to manually set and restart a timer for meditation. 

Any idea on how to resolve this? :) 

Is there a downside to instead of building a fence wall around my deed, I build "structures" but I finish only one wall side? What if the enemy players have access to the "missing wall" sides?

Edited by Aetheldred

7 hours ago, Aetheldred said:

Is there a downside to instead of building a fence wall around my deed, I build "structures" but I finish only one wall side? What if the enemy players have access to the "missing wall" sides?

I believe this would be ok. Many PvP villages make use of these "longhouse" style structures as they are harder to bash than fences. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to only finish 1 wall. It might be annoying as you'll have the wooden wall plans sticking out everywhere, there is no way to remove these on the outer walls of a building. A good way to test it is to build a small test structure circling a smaller area and test it with a toon who has no permissions on either the building or the deed. 

Buildings can't touch seperate buildings, so there'd at least have to be fences or gates between your 'building' sections.

15 hours ago, Zachariah said:

I believe this would be ok. Many PvP villages make use of these "longhouse" style structures as they are harder to bash than fences. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to only finish 1 wall. It might be annoying as you'll have the wooden wall plans sticking out everywhere, there is no way to remove these on the outer walls of a building. A good way to test it is to build a small test structure circling a smaller area and test it with a toon who has no permissions on either the building or the deed. 

Thank you, that was the idea, building walls seem to be harder to break, plus after finishing the initial outer side I can finish the inner for double walls. Meanwhile using unifinshed arches minimizes the visual clutter of the wood plans.

I don't have access to another  toon like that but they shouldn't be able to go though it.I was wondering if it effects bash damage and /or decay , for example in Rust there is a "weak side" of the walls that if the enemies can hit, does tremendously more damage than the other proper side, so you *must* have fully complete buildings else they are essentially useless.

11 hours ago, Tristanc said:

Buildings can't touch seperate buildings, so there'd at least have to be fences or gates between your 'building' sections.

It  can be a single building in a continuous long section or a totally enclosed area like a ring, but I am mostly asking if I can leave buildings half finished so I can secure an area with walls without the need to fully finish a building.

Question about lava spread: Until now, I believed that lava only spreads downhill or on even ground, but not upwards. So has it happened everywhere where I erupted, until now.

Chs8ng9.jpg

North is left. The lava was erupted on the relatively even tile in the middle,  it spread out to the steep slopes east and south, the same day of or  the day after erupting. Someone  with similar experiences?

For what it's worth, I kept lava tile on one of my deeds for about a year. Redoing the same spot when I noticed it gone. I had 3 times it spreading, twice uphill and once downhill. So from that limited statistics, I wouldn't draw conclusions too much. But spreading of lava does happen, just not as much as people fear (maybe, your case seems rather fast spreading, not sure if that has changed recently to spread more often). And I'm not at all sure uphill or downhill has any relevance there (haven't looked at the code of unlimited for it). Could be one more of those cases where people apply regular world logic to where they should just assume wogic instead.

Also edit: Keeping the lava tile on deed started about 3 years ago and ended 2 years ago. So definitely lava going uphill was a thing at least 2-3 years ago.

Edited by Nestangol
added thing in quotes about frequency of lava spreading and Also
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot, Nestangol, for your revealing information. I am using erupt/freeze since January, 2019, first mainly to bust resource tiles in tunnel  projects, later also on deed (first near deed) for disposal or lowering ql of items (using f2p for repairing). So far, all my lava spreading was straight and downhill so I assumed there were no uphill spread.

To add that: when  erupting,  a lava tile on surface, and a lava tile ("lava wall")  in  the rock  layer are created. Freezing the surface tile causes the mine tile to turn to stone equally, while freezing the in mine lava does not affect the surface tile. Lava spread obviously only affects the surface, no new in mine lava tiles are created that way. At least according to my observations so far.

• Like 1

I currently have 3 characters made and played through steam. I have a friend that i whould like to take over one of those characters. Is that possible? Since it is a steam made character its linked to my steam account and we both cant play through steam at the same time on the same account. Is it possible to release a character from steam so I could give it away?

7 hours ago, Espelina said:

I currently have 3 characters made and played through steam. I have a friend that i whould like to take over one of those characters. Is that possible? Since it is a steam made character its linked to my steam account and we both cant play through steam at the same time on the same account. Is it possible to release a character from steam so I could give it away?

As far as I know, you cannot drop from steam. But it is possible to play multi characters from the same account.

Hope it helps. I do not play steam (in fact I hate it :), but I trust Zenity ), maybe someone with direct experience may confirm or explain further.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Espelina said:

Sorry, you cannot release or even delete Wurm characters once created, and Steam makes that even harder because characters created thru the Steam client have no password, instead they are linked to the Steam account of the person who created them.

It would be easier for your friend to simply create their own character either using Steam, or the Wurm client, anything else might risk a whole minefield of account sharing issues.

• Like 2

Thank you for the answers. It was what I  suspected. My characters are over 3 years old and I was hoping to give him a good start with higher skills. To bad for him 😛

• Like 1