Dannyiron

Questions and Answers Thread: Ask your Question!

20 minutes ago, Minnie said:

A couple questions about follower abilities:

1. Mag and Lib followers get “+1 Offensive CR.”  Does anyone have a sense of whether this provides a substantive benefit in PvE combat, particularly at low FS?  I’ve read the wiki page on CR but it’s difficult to translate that into a projection about the effect this ability would actually have in-game.

2. Fo followers “receive a 25% bonus to passive stamina regeneration.” I’m having trouble understanding how this provides any major benefit, but am I just not getting it?  How/when is this ability useful?  Does it have some kind of secondary effect in certain situations?

I’d also be interested in people’s thoughts as to why someone might choose Fo, Mag or Lib over Vyn, as a follower.

From a completely mechanical standpoint, Vynora's 10% extra skill gain to most skills is hard to beat. However, if you're planning to heavily specialize in a certain skill set, the other gods may be right for you.

Magranon gets 15% extra skill gain to fighting skills, as well as 10% extra quality gain when improving metal items. So if you're planning to be a hardcore fighter or blacksmith, this may be your best choice. However, the 10% extra skill gain to smithing skills that Vynora provides may be better than the extra imping quality that Magranon's skills provide. I'm not much of a crafter, so I wouldn't be the best person to ask.

Fo provides 15% extra skill gain to all Nature skills, as well as cooking. So if you're the farming, ranching, or cooking type, Fo is worth looking into. The bonus stamina regeneration is also nice, since most activities drain stamina, and you want to be at max stamina when you start an action, since this lets you finish the action faster.

Libila is really an impossible choice to justify if you're not going to become a priest. Her bonuses mainly are all geared around being a priest and/or alchemy (which is a pretty niche skill, as far as I am aware).

On 7/21/2020 at 11:45 PM, AnotherChris said:

Ran into a problem while me and a friend were building a house together.

We started off with a 1 tile 3 wall + 1 door shack so 4 walls and a roof basically. Fully completed.

Well we decided to flatten the tile beside our house and add another floor on the same level so that it would be a 1x2 I guess is the correct dimensions (2 floors, 6 walls including the door)

Well we got all the walls up on that one and now it won't let us remove the middle wall what so ever.

We tried taking out the ceiling and the floor on the first house thinking it would let us take a wall out after those were gone but nope.

What we are trying to do is add a floor and a roof on the second floor we built but it won't let us because we are standing outside of the new room and it won't let us take a wall out either.

Adding a pic so you can see what I'm trying to do.

How do we go about adding a roof and floor to the new room or removing the center wall so we can get in there to do so?  There is no option to remove any walls when right clicking. It only let us take out a floor and roof on the original room.

Thanks!

Here's the pic:       https://paste.pics/69649ce32e16aa3eea6b0e776948a883

You need 21 body strength to destroy the wall of a house.

There is a thread in the suggestions area regarding removing this restriction. I’d recommend making a post there.

26 minutes ago, Minnie said:

A couple questions about follower abilities:

1. Mag and Lib followers get “+1 Offensive CR.”  Does anyone have a sense of whether this provides a substantive benefit in PvE combat, particularly at low FS?  I’ve read the wiki page on CR but it’s difficult to translate that into a projection about the effect this ability would actually have in-game.

2. Fo followers “receive a 25% bonus to passive stamina regeneration.” I’m having trouble understanding how this provides any major benefit, but am I just not getting it?  How/when is this ability useful?  Does it have some kind of secondary effect in certain situations?

I’d also be interested in people’s thoughts as to why someone might choose Fo, Mag or Lib over Vyn, as a follower.

+1 CR can be good early on, but it does drop off in usefulness for PvE. Each 10 fight skill is +1 CR on Freedom. Aggressive and Normal both have small CR buffs based on skill. Other factors can boost CR. Mobs range from CR 1 to 6 in the fairly easy range. Bison and Hell Scorpions are CR 18. I personally wouldn’t choose a god based on that (except for brand new characters).

See below if you want to go deep into the details (note this is data from WU, but should mostly relate to WO)

Mag has good characteristics over other gods (strength/control). Also good for smiths after you’ve skilled up to a reasonable point. Also great if you want to train up all of the weapon skills.  

Fo is good if nature stuff is your play style. 

Lib is excellent for people going to be a priest (you can use premium to swap gods after you get good religion skills). 

Followers can swap gods pretty easily, so you can swap around as you want 

Edited by LionIX

Newbie question about hell horses ... I've raised hell horses for years but not recently in WO.  I thought Spirit Templars would attack hell horses attached to a cart. I have been on WU for years, there it is often modded so they won't be attacked if they are branded.

I have a couple of hell horses on Harmony and my guard does not seem to be bothering them at all, he is set to attack aggressive creatures, and these frisky things certainly like to nip at ME!  BUT I do not want to risk logging off if he might suddenly "remember" his duties. I want them ondeed because I want to breed them and do not want the mother to miscarry.

Did they change something so that spirit templars no longer attack hell horses? I guess I could turn off his "attack aggressive creatures" to be safe, I was just curious whether something had changed?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

This is the latest change i could find regarding hell horses and guards:

5 hours ago, Nordlys said:

This is the latest change i could find regarding hell horses and guards

Change: Prevented all hitched creatures on PVE from being labelled enemies by village guards

Ok thanks, sounds like I will still want to keep guards turned off  against aggressive creatures if I want to keep pregnant hellhorses ondeed. But that certainly explains why the guards were not attacking my cart.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Our mine door disappeared on Defiance the other day. Forgot to ask, but, any idea what would cause this to happen? Noone was around us and we were online when it happened so noone picked the lock or anything. The door just disappeared and we had to make a new one. It was a wooden one with a lock if it matters. I'm assuming decay but not so sure as it was only there for maybe 3 days or 4 tops before it disappeared.

8 hours ago, AnotherChris said:

Our mine door disappeared on Defiance the other day. Forgot to ask, but, any idea what would cause this to happen? Noone was around us and we were online when it happened so noone picked the lock or anything. The door just disappeared and we had to make a new one. It was a wooden one with a lock if it matters. I'm assuming decay but not so sure as it was only there for maybe 3 days or 4 tops before it disappeared.

If it was less than 10ql, 3-4 days off deed for it to decay sounds about right

Someone could have also bashed it 

• Like 1

Low quality mine doors can decay fast, I suggest every 2-3 days checking it and gradually imping it up with planks as your skill and mats start getting better.

Unlike a stone mine door, you can gradually work on the door even after it is installed, to gradually make it better and stronger.

It gets tricky "examining" a door in place, you sometimes have to stand kinda off to one side to get info on it.

• Like 1

Is there no way to put lye or water in your inventory other than having the barrel in your inventory and using it that way to craft leather?

Figured I could have taken the lye or water out of the barrel but it won't let me. I have to use it for crafting directly from the barrel and the barrel has to be in my inventory.

Edited by AnotherChris

All liquid must be in a container that can hold liquid. You could also use a pottery bowl, jar, or water skin to name a few. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AnotherChris said:

Is there no way to put lye or water in your inventory other than having the barrel in your inventory and using it that way to craft leather?

Figured I could have taken the lye or water out of the barrel but it won't let me. I have to use it for crafting directly from the barrel and the barrel has to be in my inventory.

You can move the liquid into a smaller container and use that (small barrel, bucket, measuring jar, etc)

• Like 1

Once you reach 40 archery on the archery target practice, you stop earning xp in other skills as well? I stopped getting longbow xp, and body control xp too. Thought only archery was affected?  My longbow skill is only level 11 and I thought you could get all of the bow skills to 20 on the archery target practice?

What are meals where you can actually make use of big fishies?

From testing it seems like the volume of a fish increases exponentially faster than its weight

17KG salmon = 4.42L, 12.5KG salmon = 2L, 22.5KG salmon = 10.59L

The problem here is that it means higher quality fish can't fit in many cooking items while smaller ones can. One option is to fillet then, however I have yet to find any recipe that is any good that lets you use more than a single fillet in the meal. Do any exist? Even if they are poor at affinity I am more looking for bulk CCFP foods where I can put many KGs of fish in there and cut it up into many 2KG portions.

Liquid foods could also be good but I have heard they are pretty bad for nutrition values.

6 hours ago, Korhaka said:

What are meals where you can actually make use of big fishies?

From testing it seems like the volume of a fish increases exponentially faster than its weight

17KG salmon = 4.42L, 12.5KG salmon = 2L, 22.5KG salmon = 10.59L

The problem here is that it means higher quality fish can't fit in many cooking items while smaller ones can. One option is to fillet then, however I have yet to find any recipe that is any good that lets you use more than a single fillet in the meal. Do any exist? Even if they are poor at affinity I am more looking for bulk CCFP foods where I can put many KGs of fish in there and cut it up into many 2KG portions.

Liquid foods could also be good but I have heard they are pretty bad for nutrition values.

Fish fillets can go in Food Storage Bins, as can whole fish.  I believe none of the cooking recipes are negated by the fish having been in an FSB (or crate). 

So just make your recipes using a single fish fillet, and you can put the other fillets in an FSB to keep for a later use.  Big fish are more useful in cooking that way, and many recipes require the fillet, not just an unfilleted whole fish.

Liquid foods:  Yes, liquid foods are generally poor in nutrition from my experience.  The reason some find them useful is for animal taming.

A stew might be created at, say, 2 kg, but you can tame dogs or pigs with tiny 0.25 portions (filling a pottery flask from the main cauldron of stew), or even smaller amounts.  Thus one complete stew could give a number of taming attempts despite only cooking one.  Dogs eat most things, and pigs will eat anything edible and even some items no other animal can eat.  These combintations are good Animal Training skill increase methods starting out.

Edited by Tristanc

16 hours ago, AnotherChris said:

Once you reach 40 archery on the archery target practice, you stop earning xp in other skills as well? I stopped getting longbow xp, and body control xp too. Thought only archery was affected?  My longbow skill is only level 11 and I thought you could get all of the bow skills to 20 on the archery target practice?

As I learnt and experienced, target training skill gain is capped at either 40 archery or 25 bow skill (any bow type), whichever is reached first.

Edited by Ekcin

17 hours ago, AnotherChris said:

Wiki:  "Can no longer gain skill if at least 30 skill in even one individual bow or at least 40 main archery skill."

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Archery_target

compare that to the language for the melee combat doll:

"You can raise your fighting skill to a maximum of 20 using a doll and up to 20 in any weapon subskill.

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Combat_doll

• Like 2

Hi all. I just joined the game, subbed, and bought enough silver to settle a claim. I have watched a variety of YT vids, but have some "finer tuned" questions I was hoping I could explain well enough to get answers on. :)

I staked a claim on a hill next to a body of water. I have been messing around with all the ways to even out the land (about a 15% grade). My question is, what is the easiest way to go about it? Would it be easier to dig at the lowest point of the land (next to the water) to grade it out? Or would it be better to bring dirt to fill in the lower part of the grade to make a platform? I hope that makes sense.

Also, is there an advantage to building a small house and later add to it or tear it down to replace it, or is it ok to just plan a large house and build it over time?

Also, if anyone has a link to a priority guide on building a settlement, that would be GREAT!

Thanks!

Better to build a small house and add to/expand it later.

You can't get Sleep Bonus in an unfinished house (one that doesn't have all four directions of walls/doors finished) and the decay inside will be just as high as if your items weren't inside a building.

The beds you need for sleep bonus need to have all the walls/doors built to be able to be used for the bonus so it's a finished room at least.  Roofing's not necessary for these purposes.

Regarding your terraforming, I regret I'm not the best source of opinion on that as I tend to only do a limited amount.

2 hours ago, Oddfello said:

Hi all. I just joined the game, subbed, and bought enough silver to settle a claim. I have watched a variety of YT vids, but have some "finer tuned" questions I was hoping I could explain well enough to get answers on. :)

I staked a claim on a hill next to a body of water. I have been messing around with all the ways to even out the land (about a 15% grade). My question is, what is the easiest way to go about it? Would it be easier to dig at the lowest point of the land (next to the water) to grade it out? Or would it be better to bring dirt to fill in the lower part of the grade to make a platform? I hope that makes sense.

Also, is there an advantage to building a small house and later add to it or tear it down to replace it, or is it ok to just plan a large house and build it over time?

Also, if anyone has a link to a priority guide on building a settlement, that would be GREAT!

Thanks!

As for flattening your land, it really depends on a lot, like your skill, your plans for design, and the presence of rock under the dirt layer. Have you looked at deed planner? You might want to flatten some spots to build or farm and leave others as a slope or you might want to flatten everything in sight!  You could dig down towards the water or fill it in, though be aware you need to be above water level to farm most crops or plant trees. I hope that helps a bit. 

Greetings!  Pretty new player here(Melody). I was wondering where I could find a useable mailbox? I know you can create one with a spell, but I do not have that ability. So is there a mailbox on the server that is usable by anyone? 

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Ebonhawk said:

Greetings!  Pretty new player here(Melody). I was wondering where I could find a useable mailbox? I know you can create one with a spell, but I do not have that ability. So is there a mailbox on the server that is usable by anyone? 

Thanks!

Starter towns have one (nicely enchanted). You can also ask in Freedom chat. Let people know where you are at currently and maybe someone nearby will have one made. 

1 minute ago, LionIX said:

Starter towns have one (nicely enchanted). You can also ask in Freedom chat. Let people know where you are at currently and maybe someone nearby will have one made. 

Great! Thank you! Going to be a long walk to that mailbox lol

On 8/17/2020 at 4:11 PM, Oddfello said:

Thanks!

Hiya Oddfellow, and welcome to Wurm!

What I usually do is pick a spot partway up the hill to start from... as mentioned, the depth of dirt before you hit stone is a big factor but just as a starting point. Just assume it might be 40 deep (pretty typical). Look at the slope of your hill to get an idea of how many tiles wide your flat spot can be made without hauling in a lot of dirt... just to make it easy, let's say your slope is about 12-14 per tile. If you want to have your flat spot near the water's edge, move upslope say 3 tiles. Activate your shovel and right click on the tile, pick flatten. This should make that tile flat or with maybe a corner low by 1. If you need to, grab a dirt somewhere to finish leveling the tile. What I do from this point is level the upper tile, then level the lower tile, repeat this back and forth. Depending how many you can carry, this might take a bunch of cycles but you will grab 4 from above and then fill 4 below. This keeps you from having to carry much dirt from place to place.

I hope this helps... you can adjust depending on just how much dirt you find you have to work with :)

A question about guard pathing. If I have a guard tower next to a canal with a bridge across it, will the guards use the bridge? Or will they run down one side of the canal and back up the other side (even if there's 100+ slope)? I know I've seen the latter back in the old days, but that was before bridges were a thing.