Dannyiron

Questions and Answers Thread: Ask your Question!

Question about those new casts, if i have necklace lets say fire protection [80[ and ring with fireprotection [90] is there cumulative effect or does it use just strongest cast power?

On 12/25/2018 at 3:57 AM, monsterix said:

Question about those new casts, if i have necklace lets say fire protection [80[ and ring with fireprotection [90] is there cumulative effect or does it use just strongest cast power?

According to the patch notes:

Stacking two or more of an identical enchant across multiple slots results in a penalty to each one. This penalty is 33% reduced effectiveness for two identical enchants and 50% reduced effectiveness for three identical enchants.

I'm not really sure how the math works in this case, but yeah, they both have effectiveness but with diminishing returns.

EDIT:

I got some clarification on this, and may have misinterpreted the patch notes there.

If you have two of the same jewellery enchant equipped, the total bonus is reduced by 33%. If you have three equipped, the total bonus is reduced by 66%. So if you have two rings equipped and each gives you a 5% bonus alone, then the total bonus is about 6.667%, not 10%. Because of this, if one of the pieces of jewellery is far weaker than the other, you're better off just wearing the stronger one.

The strength of the enchantment is based on enchant power and QL, by the way, with equal importance.

Edited by Ostentatio

I am regularly getting thrown off the server.  This is a new problem.  Nothing has changed with my isp or computer.  Usually, it seems the connection goes down and then pops back up.  I get the message that it is reconnecting to the server, and I find myself standing very near, but not in the same place as before, with everything the same.  If I was doing an action, the action is either finished in the right amount of time, or is in the process of finishing.  My character seems to stay there, but be slightly in a different spot on the tile when I get back.  The time I am gone is not long - seconds.  I am not sure why this is happening, or if anyone knows why it would.  Java is updated, and everything on my end seems to be working well with all other tasks my computer runs.  It is unnerving and dangerous if I leave the deed or fight anything.  It happens often - at least once an hour. Any ideas?

3 hours ago, Nirav said:

I am regularly getting thrown off the server.  This is a new problem.  Nothing has changed with my isp or computer.  Usually, it seems the connection goes down and then pops back up.  I get the message that it is reconnecting to the server, and I find myself standing very near, but not in the same place as before, with everything the same.  If I was doing an action, the action is either finished in the right amount of time, or is in the process of finishing.  My character seems to stay there, but be slightly in a different spot on the tile when I get back.  The time I am gone is not long - seconds.  I am not sure why this is happening, or if anyone knows why it would.  Java is updated, and everything on my end seems to be working well with all other tasks my computer runs.  It is unnerving and dangerous if I leave the deed or fight anything.  It happens often - at least once an hour. Any ideas?

If you update java, and have both 32 and 64 (or just 32) bit java installed, wurm often picks 32 and requires 64. This is usually the case of people reporting issues like this.

Why are you posting in a player self help question thread, and not the technical support forum? (way down the forum page)

When participating in a sermon and praying session with both BL and WL, do black lighters alignment go down and white lighters alignment go up? 

I've received conflicting answers to this question....... 

All listeners get +4 alignment if  WL preaches or -4 alignment if a BL preaches. As a BL preacher with everyone else being WL, most of the time I didn't get an alignment tick on preaching as the preacher (I only got 1 or 2 on several sermons). It might work normally if there is another BL in the group (but that is just speculation as I haven't tested).

So as a BL, sitting in on WL sermons will increase your alignment +4 which isn't good (you become less negative).

I have a question about premium and characteristics (i.e. Body Control etc.)

If I buy premium, raise my characteristics above 30, leave the game for a while and lose premium, and then come back to the game later, will all of my characteristics have been reset to 30 permanently? Will I have to skill them up again, albeit much harder because my skills are already high? Or will they reset to what they were before once I get premium again.

Skills and characteristics aren't lost when out of premium, just temporarily unavailable. When premium is restored, so are all skills and characteristics.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 3:39 PM, Ilya said:

will all of my characteristics have been reset to 30 permanently?

When Premium ran out previously Characteristics were set back to 20.00 but a year or two ago the Devs decided to set them back to 30.00 so that players who had raised them that high or higher could have the additional benefits that they provide. This is why now when your Premium expires you may see those 30.00 numbers on some of them. Kelody answered the rest.

=Ayes=

Will i get separate terrain area which i can customize as per me in Shared server on which other user are there with me? Or we all share the same?

7 hours ago, Bhawani_singh said:

Will i get separate terrain area which i can customize as per me in Shared server on which other user are there with me? Or we all share the same?

You can purchase a deed, to customize as you please. The servers themselves are shared among all players. You can customize areas without a deed, but risk having another player deed on or near your location. This isn't possible if you put a deed first.

I wanted to connect two lakes together with a small canal to make cross-map travelling easier.  At the same time though, horses and carts need to be able to cross the little canal I build to gain access to either side of the canal.

I know the canal doesn't need to be very deep to allow rowboats or even ships to pass through it, like, seemingly only about 5 "digs" deep.  So, if I provide a nice gentle slope to the ramp for the road that crosses the canal (which would only be 2 or 3 tiles wide anyway), what is the deepest depth of water that horses, carts and wagons can cross?

I would build a bridge across it instead, but that is way, way out of my skill set right now, plus I would need to build up really huge ramps on either side for ships to be able to pass under the bridge, so, I'll see if I can make a ford instead, hence the question about carts/wagons and water depth.

Thanks

If your horse is facing north and you're being attacked from the south, but your character is facing the enemy at the south, is the enemy considered attacking you from behind?

24 minutes ago, Zyzyx said:

If your horse is facing north and you're being attacked from the south, but your character is facing the enemy at the south, is the enemy considered attacking you from behind?

Considered attacking from behind, flank bonus is based off the direction of the animal/vehicle you're embarked on.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

flank bonus is based off the direction of the animal/vehicle you're embarked on.

This is what I needed to know, thank you.

What fine carpentry is required for cupboards? Wiki used to say but now it doesn't, and the only number I can find is 50, but I'm sure it was much lower, like 21 or 41.

And is there a more ideal container to build lots of for storing hundreds of tools for enchanting?

I usually have 10 cupboards, each filled with 100 pieces of studded leather, but I think metal tools like rakes take up more space.

curious. I don't know if my client is bugged but I've run into three problems.

I am mayor of a deed on elevation. A member has started constructing a building.

I tried to help but can find no option to put planks on project.

Also he has a smaller bungaloo 1x2 and I cant even see the outline. Its just empty ground. I try to plan a house the one he is building and it said one has already been started.

Also I cant build his bed. The walls are up no second floor. I get a message that it is illegal but all permissions have been open to me as mayor. I've checked them. Thank you if you have any information on any of this.

51 minutes ago, lowborn said:

curious. I don't know if my client is bugged but I've run into three problems.

I am mayor of a deed on elevation. A member has started constructing a building.

I tried to help but can find no option to put planks on project.

Also he has a smaller bungaloo 1x2 and I cant even see the outline. Its just empty ground. I try to plan a house the one he is building and it said one has already been started.

Also I cant build his bed. The walls are up no second floor. I get a message that it is illegal but all permissions have been open to me as mayor. I've checked them. Thank you if you have any information on any of this.

1 - Even as mayor you need permissions to the structure in order to build it.

2 - This message probably means that you have another unfinished structure somewhere. Complete or demolish that one if you want to plan a new structure. There used to be a bug where a server restart would allow to plan another structure, without completing the existing one but i'm not sure if this is still the case.

3 - possibly again permission to the structure is required? Unsure.

Question about new hitching posts: There is a maximum of 3 creatures to be hitched. Usually, more than 2 creatures on 1 tile are considered a highly increased disease risk for the animals. Is that the case too, on hitching posts, or only if the trough is not held filled, or not at all?

On 11/17/2019 at 5:48 AM, Ekcin said:

Question about new hitching posts: There is a maximum of 3 creatures to be hitched. Usually, more than 2 creatures on 1 tile are considered a highly increased disease risk for the animals. Is that the case too, on hitching posts, or only if the trough is not held filled, or not at all?

Super late response, but may as well if others search and see it. There is a risk putting 3 horses (Animals) on a hitching post. I watched one get diseased and die. The other 2 survived. It was on enchanted grass and no other mobs particularly close. 

Please tell me how to run two instances of WO at the same time. I can't find this information

1 hour ago, Ayuna said:

Please tell me how to run two instances of WO at the same time. I can't find this information

Just launch client a 2nd time. Maybe set client to windowed or windowed fullscreen as well.

• Like 1

Hope this question gets seen as it seems the last reply was from 2 months ago and I didn't want to start a thread asking this but here goes...

Are their NPC towns in this game? Towns created by devs NOT by real players?

Reason I'm asking is because when I first started out, I was in the tutorial. And I had no idea at the time but I believe the tutorial was in/on the Independence server on the Freedom cluster?

I always PvP in games so I immediately used a portal to get to the Epic cluster. I didn't know how PvP worked and still don't. So I guess I attacked a member of my own Kingdom(woops!) and got flagged as Kill On Sight and as being ''hunted'' whatever that means and I don't even know how to remove it?(explain?)

I ended up losing every single thing on my character. Starter gear and everything.  So I spawned at the starter town on Epic (don't remember the server) and used a portal to go back to Independence on Freedom.  I couldn't figure out how to leave the city cause it was massive! 

I then read some comments around here and from Reddit that there's a huge map on Freedom called Xanaue or something like that and that it was THE place to be.  So naturally, I used the portal from Independence and went to Xanaue or whatever (I'll just call it X from here on out)

When I got to "X" there were tons of villages I could spawn at. But none of them said if they were the starting area for that server or if it was the GM city or whatever so I just picked one and spawned. 

Can't remember the village I chose I think it started with a G... Grimsmead or something maybe IDK sorry!   Anyways, I made it out of that city and there were hostile creatures everywhere. I managed to escape them but I think a goblin or mountain lion or something tracked me down and killed me so this time when I was able to respawn there actually was an option to choose starter area or something like that. So I spawned there but it literally put me in the middle of nowhere! lol     No villages, no nothing near me.

My question is how can I find where I am and get back to a Village?  And if I do make it back to a village how can I go back to Independence?    The first village I spawned at didn't have a portal to get back to Independence. They only had an Epic portal to get to Epic.

I'd like to go to the tutorial area again and practice a little bit more and get refreshed on how to dig and things like that.

Thanks!

The city where you went on Xanadu is obviously Greymead. A way to find out where you are is looking for a highway, roads at least 2 tiles wide with green catseyes in the middle. After a while you may find a waystone there with pointer signs to the next settlement (distance in tiles). You may look up the settlement names in community map https://wurmonlinemaps.com/xanadu.

Another way would be to spawn on a starter town after you died. There is a list with the respawn locations in the death window. That is normally not recommendable as most of your gear will remain in the corpse. If you don't bother you may enter /suicide in the chat window for a fast death.

For the tutorial, you have not to be on Independence, and not on Haven's Landing. You may just enter /tutorial to restart the tutorial. All starter towns have public mines nearby, and of course there are opportunities to dig and cut wood. To return to Independence it needs (generally) a boat or someone taking you as passenger. Asking in kingdom (Freedom) chat will be helpful.

Edited by Ekcin