Dannyiron

Questions and Answers Thread: Ask your Question!

Hi, I'd like to confirm that we can't keybind two different actions, one to the press and the other to the release of a single key. For instance, pressing a key down will activate a container, and releasing it will perform an action. This isn't possible to do with keybinds.txt right? Like bind SPACE_Pressed/SPACE_Down or SPACE_Released/SPACE_Up or something like that?

Also, does anyone know all the variables that are considered for calculating the damage of thrown items? What happens if you throw a container with multiple items in it? What if the container has multiple weapons inside? Does the item having base damage affect thrown damage? Would a thrown two handed sword (4.00 kg) do similar damage to a thrown huge sword blade (3.90 kg) although the two handed sword is a weapon with base damage? There's limited info about throwing things on the wiki atm.

Edited by Richgar

I'm pretty sure Wurm doesn't support key up/down events. You might find key mapping software that will do it for you.

The second topic you might get better results from the WU data mining community.

Ok just for clarification, fresh meat not even bought or installed yet

Question is Wurm Unlimited Vs Online

These are totally seperate?  Online is the one going for several years and established with the most people, unlimited is like host your own server or join another with small group?

This right?

What version would u guys suggest I try out....

1 hour ago, ZomoZ said:

Ok just for clarification, fresh meat not even bought or installed yet

Question is Wurm Unlimited Vs Online

These are totally seperate?  Online is the one going for several years and established with the most people, unlimited is like host your own server or join another with small group?

This right?

What version would u guys suggest I try out....

This is a multifaceted question which involves a lot of depth in the details so I will just respond to part of it.

Wurm Unlimited is a one time payment of $29.99 through the Steam website listed amongst their other games. Then to play it you must always log onto Steam. Any updates to its features are usually done to Wurm Online first then passed on to WU later.

Wurm Online is the original game that can be played indefinitely for free but then your options are restricted by only being able to increase your skills to a maximum of 20.00. To become a Premium player open to all game options and skill level increases there is a monthly subscription payment required, a breakdown of which is listed on their main website.

Probably best to just try Wurm Online for free and go from there. Much more information can be found by reading through these forums which answer your questions in more detail.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
by

Inspiration/rarity rolls.

can anyone please explain how these work? I thought I read it was a 20 sec window once per hour on any action. But I will grind some skill for hours and hours (I.e. weapon smithing) and not get any inspirations, sometimes for days, but let me forage or farm and I get one withing 3 actions. It is really annoying!

How many hours can I expect to spend grinding 20-24 mind logic? I would be mining and/or imping carpentry stuff.

On 9/20/2016 at 4:26 AM, Quarum said:

Inspiration/rarity rolls.

can anyone please explain how these work? I thought I read it was a 20 sec window once per hour on any action. But I will grind some skill for hours and hours (I.e. weapon smithing) and not get any inspirations, sometimes for days, but let me forage or farm and I get one withing 3 actions. It is really annoying!

You get one window per hour on average. Getting a rare window doesn't actually affect the chance of you getting or not getting one five minutes later.

Also, rare coins from foraging/killing/burying/etc use a completely different mechanic unrelated to actual "moment of inspiration" rare rolls. The game uses the same client-side effects and messages, but it's a totally separate thing.

17 hours ago, OblongNoodle said:

How many hours can I expect to spend grinding 20-24 mind logic? I would be mining and/or imping carpentry stuff.

I get far more MoI mining than any other task. Often 1 for every 2 stacks of ore/rocks. Digging may come close, but nothing else. Imping gives far fewer than creating. Maybe it's just how productive I am while mining vs other tasks.

Oblong, I don't remember how long it took me but the 20.1 you need for carts and sailboats should happen pretty fast, especially if you make good use of sleep bonus.  I find for the characeristics, if I grind with just those in mind, you may go nuts.  But if you work on mining for instance and think of it as gaining skills in ML, mining, and I think Strength, plus all the useful rock and ores you will find, it is less painful.  One day you think 'oh, I wonder how my ML is doing' and you will find a pleasant surprise instead of watching that pot boil :)  if you want to make it slightly easier on yourself, in your mine, from a flat tile, mine up, and then level the slanted tile, move forward, mine up, level, and repeat.  You will gain pretty quickly and since level continues until you get tired, you reduce the amount of clicking you need to do.  If you can get yourself a nice CoC/WoA pick, that will help too.

• Like 1

You would do that through the paper doll, also known as the character window, which you can access via double-clicking your health bar, and then right-clicking on the body icon in the bottom left corner of the new window that opens up, and going to the option marked as "profile." Various options for adjusting your PM's, channel viewability/startup messages, personal corpse looting, ect can be found within the profile options there.

When combining two pieces of rock shards, the result has a much lower quality than the average. How come?

I'm playing W:U, but I figured this behaviour would be the same across both platforms.

Dead Moss, I can think of two explanations... either one of the pieces had some decay, when you combine, it loses that percentage of ql... or, the lower ql piece was larger than the higher one which might drag your average down more than you expected.

I hope this helps :)

Duuurh.. yeah, I had double checked the weights, but completely failed to check the decay. I'm an idiot and thanks for helping me out.

Well, I have heard that other people have done that... not me of course... just other people!

It's even better when you add a pile of high QL stone to your 'best quality' BSB... and watch the QL plummet because you forgot it was 80% decayed ! 

Okay, another (hopefully less stupid) question:

How distantly related do animals have to be before it's no longer considered inbreeding? Can grandparents breed with grandchildren? Cousin with cousin?

10 hours ago, Dead_Moss said:

Okay, another (hopefully less stupid) question:

How distantly related do animals have to be before it's no longer considered inbreeding? Can grandparents breed with grandchildren? Cousin with cousin?

If the 2 horses that are being bred share either the same mother or father or both this is considered inbreeding in the game. The separation of any generations between them doesn't change this classification since it is based upon the name of the mother and father. This leads me to believe that any inbreeding detrimental effects would not be lessened by generation separation lineages as it may in RL circumstances.

The more common way to eliminate this generation linking inbreeding effect is to just kill off either the father or mother or both. Then if you check all their children they will no longer have any father or mother listed to them. The generation link in this way is quite different than in RL. This is why horse breeders within Wurm either keep close tabs upon the mother and father of their next generation they breed, or kill off the father and mother after the next generations have superior traits to them.

=Ayes=

I've seen that a lot, that you should just kill the parents, but the Wurmpedia states that the game still keeps track of the lineage even though they're dead. Now I don't know what to believe..

Also, this

23 minutes ago, Ayes said:

If the 2 horses that are being bred share either the same mother or father or both this is considered inbreeding in the game.

Seems odd to me, surely parent-offspring breeding would be considered inbreeding?

35 minutes ago, Dead_Moss said:

I've seen that a lot, that you should just kill the parents, but the Wurmpedia states that the game still keeps track of the lineage even though they're dead. Now I don't know what to believe..

There are much more experienced horse breeders in the game than myself but I think they will all agree that killing off the mother and father removes their offspring as related to each other, thus no further "inbreeding" can occur between any of them. Also note that Wurmpedia is notorious for mistaken or outdated information in certain instances.

43 minutes ago, Dead_Moss said:

Seems odd to me, surely parent-offspring breeding would be considered inbreeding?

And yea, this is what I stated in slightly different words. As for odd, that is the name of the game here in many ways. Just enjoy it without being overly concerned about much of it and all will be well. Then over time you will find what interests you most and be naturally led in that direction.

=Ayes=

Posts from WU regarding parents suggest that even if parents are killed, their IDs are still in the offspring data. When breeding, the IDs are checked, but unknown if the status of them is. This also applies to wild creatures, as they all have the same (or none) parent IDs and why breeding 2 wild creatures seems to yield more bad traits.

Keenan has confirmed multiple times that killing off the parents does not matter. The game still tracks the IDs of the parents; it just doesn't display their names on examine since the game can't look up those names anymore, given that the creatures no longer exist. Basically, what Kelody is saying applies to both Wurm Unlimited and Wurm Online.

If you breed two horses that are siblings, it's inbreeding even if the parents are dead. Killing off family members does not have, and never has had, any effect in preventing inbreeding. This has been confirmed by developers; that is why it's on the wiki now.

There's been an effort to clear up old and incorrect information like this on the wiki recently, so in the future, if anyone thinks something on the wiki is wrong, notify someone with editing rights or feel free to post a thread in the Wurmpedia maintenance forum.

Oh, and it does seem that child-parent breeding is considered inbreeding as well, but I'll have to look into it a bit further.

Edited by Ostentatio

Hello,

I know that 30 masonry is needed to build stone houses, but I was wondering if you can repair or improve the house with 20 masonry afterwards. Also, is there a similar skill gate to creating guard towers (it doesn't say so in the Wiki but I thought I'd rather ask)?

Thanks

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:05 AM, Ostentatio said:

Keenan has confirmed multiple times that killing off the parents does not matter. The game still tracks the IDs of the parents; it just doesn't display their names on examine since the game can't look up those names anymore, given that the creatures no longer exist. Basically, what Kelody is saying applies to both Wurm Unlimited and Wurm Online.

If you breed two horses that are siblings, it's inbreeding even if the parents are dead. Killing off family members does not have, and never has had, any effect in preventing inbreeding. This has been confirmed by developers; that is why it's on the wiki now.

Well I have never noted Keenan confirming your claim multiple times, or even a few. If what you state is true then how is anyone to know if they are inbreeding horses when they no longer have their parents name on them. Horses are sold to other players and then their lineage is not traceable by players unless their parents names are on them.

And another thing. Why do horse breeders kill off the parents and then breed their children together thinking this will avoid inbreeding? They are all mistaken in doing this? It is completely unnecessary then? So if they are doing this and then breeding the parents children together with seemingly no detrimental effects then it would seem that inbreeding is not really an issue anyway. By this I mean that no additional negative traits are added to them in comparison to their brother/sister (now father/mother) breeding traits.

Yea, I just read on Wurmpedia that it still counts as inbreeding if the parents have been killed off and the children are no longer labeled with their names. Must have been added not so long ago because for years before you arrived players were killing off parents to avoid inbreeding. I guess some like myself never bothered to check more recently to find out that this has no effect so is unnecessary. Still, I find it hard to have much faith in that added statement unless I know who added it and their explanation in detail as to how they have come to this conclusion. Always the skeptic and not one to shake my head yes without having some explanation provided.

=Ayes=