Sign in to follow this  
ScarfaceRo

[CONTEST; 25s prize] Calling out all architects and deed planners

Ok, here's the deal:

I'm looking for a creative deed planner / architect to help me plan the front section of my deed.

And I'm putting 25s on the table for this.

May the best architect win!

About the deed

We talk about a waterfront section of 23x23 as evidenced in the "map" (please excuse the terrible looking Paint drawing - that's all I had at disposal at work):

Click on all thumbnails to get the full size picture.

Deed_map.jpg

This section doesn't have the token on it, but it has a public trader located right in the center.

This section would be the public section of my deed and it should somehow resemble a living commerce hub / harbor. So there should be the harbour / pier itself, an inn, a SMALL market area around the mentioned trader (4-6 merchant stalls not more), storage spaces, eventually a smithery or anything else you feel may fit in a public area (not living houses here - that will be in the private section of my deed and will probably be the subject of a later contest - once this one is complete). Also there should be room for a guard tower.

Ideally I wouldn't want to waste too much space, so it would be nice if there will be be some room which could be used and for practical things (like some farming fields, or horses pens, or whatever); though, if that wouldn't fit the theme, it's not really mandatory.

The perimeter (both the front one and the sides one may or may not be used; you may even suggest submerging it below water or place the farming fields there or whatever.

Once again what's important is to look like a small, but busy commerce hub.

Some specifications

- From the 23x23, on the northern side should be left at least one tile for a road to make the pass to the rest of my deed; ideally on the other sides too, but those are not required

- For some strange reasons I like the idea of an enclosed area, so I would prefer that at least the three sides not on water (N, E, W) to be somehow enclosed by walls; they may and should have access points, of course, but the general idea should be of an enclosed area Later edit (answer to question): Well, technically west is ocean too, but in my vision there will be the perimeter there, so that's why I also said "not water" - the harbor section (direct opening to water) should be on south.

- I really like symmetry; you may of course propose asymmetrical designs, but I tell you upfront that the chance to like something asymmetrical is very, very slim

- Nothing extremely fancy, huge, castle like - three story houses is most I consider likeable; so please stick with two or three story buildings

- This section of the deed is all flat, at the sea level (well a bit higher to not have water ponds), so you can keep the design simple without any slopes in mind; however, if you manage to somehow go up towards the north side in a nice (and symetrical) way, so I can have the private section of the deed located at a somehow higher level, that would be a plus. Not required, but a plus.

- I seem to like a lot those buildings with stone on low level and wood on second/third level; here are some examples of houses I really liked

Nice_medium_building_01.jpg

Nice_small_house.png

Open_dock.jpg

Pier_house.jpg

- Finally, here's an idea I had - 1x wide buildings on the sides (walls to exterior, arch to interior, filled with BSBs for storage), submerged perimeter on south side, merchants on the sides of the road towards the trader... I'm sure you can come up with way better, but it's a starting to see how my mind is programmed like:

Deed_map_my.jpg

Contest rules

You have full freedom to submit your entries in any form you wish as long as it is (easily) readable without any external program. Preferably of course it would be a deed planner map + exported image, but if you don't use deed planner, it's OK as long as you can make me understand your design.

There is no limit on number of designs one person may submit. Also, if you require it, I can provide feedback to any design so you can see what I liked, what I didn't liked and eventually try to come with a revised version to higher your success chances.

I find it rather rude to let the contest keep running once I'm (almost) decided and just put people to work for free "just in case", so I won't do that. Instead, once I will fall in love with one submission and I will make up my mind to use that design, I will close the contest and reward the winner of the contest the 25s prize. So if you want to participate, don't delay your submission - the contest may run for a few weeks, but it may be closed even today. If you start working on a design and you are confident it will be done in the next 24 hours, feel free to PM me so I don't close the contest before you have the chance to submit yours too.

However, since obviously the contest could not run indefinitely, if after 40 days I still didn't settled on any design, I will automatically close it at that time and reward a "consolation prize" of 10s. Just that in this case I won't pick the winner (it would be hard to do so considering I didn't really liked any of the entries), but instead just let the community chose the winner and reward the prize to the design with most "likes" (from valid accounts - made before this date and with at least 100 posts).

If you'll prefer prize to be made in euros instead of silver, this could also be done.

Disclaimer: If there will be a very low number of submissions (which I hope to not be the case considering the value of the prize), I reserve the right to not award the consolation prize (like it will be ridiculous to have only two submissions which are far from what I want and still cost me 10s). Since I received at least three decent (if not better) entries, I consider this conditions to be met, so there will be no contest cancellation even if no further submissions will be sent.

Disclaimer: There are a few people with whom I had open conflicts. I consider those people not eligible to participate in this contest. If you suspect you may be one of these people (if you ever backed off from a deal we had running, if you insulted me or if you stolen anything from my deed) please PM me before making a submission to be sure you'll not work for free, just to have your entry not being considered.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Edited by ScarfaceRo
  • Like 2

I'd suggest you put up some screenshots of the actual place when you get the chance, so people have a better idea of the setting for appropriateness :)

Haha, not really anything to see atm since it will be just a flat 23x23 area and atm the land is not even there yet (raising it out of water atm).

Anyway, since you requested, to show openess, here's how it looks atm:

wurm_20140411_0140_1.jpg

Ok we need some clarification: the dscription says no water on N E W, but the drawing shows ater on W and the screen shows water on both sides, especially on W. So what s your final plan on the terraforming?

Im asking because the way you have drawn it, with water on SW and land on NE I would do it symetrically on the diagonal. This also seems to fit the coastline better.

Edited by Keldun

Ok we need some clarification: the dscription says no water on N E W, but the drawing shows ater on W and the screen shows water on both sides, especially on W. So what s your final plan on the terraforming?

Im asking because the way you have drawn it, with water on SW and land on NE I would do it symetrically on the diagonal. This also seems to fit the coastline better.

The confusion probably comes from this:

- my "map" is with North on top (like any maps)

- in the screenshot, I am positioned in the north, looking to south

So:

- on south: there is ocean

- on north there is land (the rest of my deed, where I take the picture from)

- on west (the left side of "map" and right side of the picture): there is ocean (planned to raise perimeter too)

- on east (the right side of "map" and left side of the picture): there is a bit of water then land again - plan was to also fill that little "entry" to connect it with the land.

Here's the same picture with explanations:

w11.jpg

Edited by ScarfaceRo

In my design I originally had the West side perimeter under water, however sine you stated that N,E,W are all landlocked I changed it to mirror the East side perimeter.  I left a couple small spaces on the East side near the Inn and Stables to do whatever you please with in the future.  The various buildings for the deities are intended to have altars in each of course, for praying and for sermons.  Hope you enjoy.  If you have any questions or would need help planning any of the higher carpentry buildings, please do pm me.

EDIT:  Two of the roof pieces of the inn were causing that annoying bug where the roof model is screwed up, so I took them out to make it look more solid.  Those roof sections are intended to be there, I promise! lol  Also, the path to the Garden of Fo is supposed to be a diagonal path, however that model doesn't exist yet in deed planner.

Cheers,

Slickshot

http://pastebin.com/GpBjYTDP

ZSCncgO.png

STfiqq9.jpg

XqwF6IP.jpg

Results for the whole map:

Materials needed:
Small nails=52
Slabs=50
Marble slabs=66
Mortar=8185
Rock shards=800
Wires=430
Thatch=430
Slate shingle=450
Felled trees=70
Iron fence bars=10
Large nails=47
Stone bricks=9380
Planks=1200

Trader Station = 5 carpentry

Farmer's Gate 1 & 2 = 13 carpentry

Lakeshore Tower/Waterfront Tower = 24 carpentry

Cathedral of Vynora = 28 carpentry

Keep of Magranon = 32 carpentry

Garden of Fo = 35 carpentry

Ocean-Tide Inn = 60 carpentry

Horseshoe Stables = 63 carpentry

Portforge Smithy and Cookery = 64 carpentry

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 8

In my design I originally had the West side perimeter under water, however sine you stated that N,E,W are all landlocked I changed it to mirror the East side perimeter.  I left a couple small spaces on the East side near the Inn and Stables to do whatever you please with in the future.  The various buildings for the deities are intended to have altars in each of course, for praying and for sermons.  Hope you enjoy.  If you have any questions or would need help planning any of the higher carpentry buildings, please do pm me.

EDIT:  Two of the roof pieces of the inn were causing that annoying bug where the roof model is screwed up, so I took them out to make it look more solid.  Those roof sections are intended to be there, I promise! lol

Cheers,

Slickshot

http://pastebin.com/GpBjYTDP

First of all I want to THANK YOU for your submission and tell you a BIG GRATS. You was brave not only to be the first one to post a public entry (I got two more, but private), but also to go on a total asymmetric plan, which surprisingly doesn't bother me as much as I though anything asymmetrical would. :D

There are even a few things I really love:

- the way you used the perimeter in a useful way (to make it farmable area)

- the way you played with heights so it is not all flat and boring

- the deities corner (something I didn't even thought at) which are all customized to the specific gods

- the waterfront tower

There are then a few things I kinda like:

- the pier itself

- the stable

- the inn

My problems are with the empty space you intentionally left to the east (but I am looking for a full plan since I lack imagination - not really looking to have room for extra ideas that would come later), with the way that the one tile way grass way that leads to the guard tower looks like and with the fact that the smithery and the stables are oriented in opposite directions - guess I would have liked both "U"s oriented with the "entry" towards north... dunno.

I will be honest (and maybe too blunt :P) and say that it is not the design to fall inlove with, decide to go with and close the contest (although there are a few things I really love in it). However I do like it, I also "voted" for it too in case there won't be a direct winner and will come to the "public vote" and I wish you best of luck if we'll come to this.

He, some people are really quick, let me show you what I had in mind:

You have your own deed at the north and the neighbout at the east. Also you have water at both south and west. (you said you wanted to raise the west perimter, but I'd suggest keeping it low)

oh4llu.jpg

Thats a lighttower with two deep docks for big ships and shallow perimter for farming reed/rice.

Has the idea merrit so far or should i scrap it right away?

Edited by Keldun

You have your own deed at the north and the neighbout at the east. Also you have water at both south and west. (you said you wanted to raise the west perimter, but I'd suggest keeping it low)

diagonal_harbor.jpg

Thats a lighttower with two deep docks for big ships and shallow perimter for farming reed/rice.

Image not loading :(

Yeah, this is my simple design and I hope it has something you can come along with ;)

Overview:

HX2R0qb.jpg

Inn: (not the best screenshot)

zh7RzeM.jpg

bigger workshop/hut:

5k625ET.jpg

You can change anything you want and delete every building you do not feel comfortable with.

Materials:

Small nails=124

Slate shingle=1350

Mortar=4995

Large nails=40

Stone bricks=4320

Planks=1420

I had to detach the sidewings from the Inn (too high carpentry [136]).

This is not visible in the screenshots, but in the pastebin code:

http://pastebin.com/tGXHdkbu

peace out!

Capi

feedback appreciated!

• Like 1

The idea definitely has some merit, and yeah initially I thought at something like that. Problem is that the deed continues to the north (exact size is 69x23, so pretty much there will be three tiers - this first one will be the public one, the second one will be the private quarters and the third one, up on the mountain will be the forest section and a small keep. So while this looks very symmetric for the 23x23 area we talk about, in the bigger scheme of things it would probably not look too good.

I don't tell you not to do it, but I don't really think it would work out either. :(

Edited by ScarfaceRo

Yeah, this is my simple design and I hope it has something you can come along with ;)

Overview:

HX2R0qb.jpg

Inn: (not the best screenshot)

bigger workshop/hut:

You can change anything you want and delete every building you do not feel comfortable with.

Materials:

Small nails=124

Slate shingle=1350

Mortar=4995

Large nails=40

Stone bricks=4320

Planks=1420

I had to detach the sidewings from the Inn (too high carpentry [136]).

This is not visible in the screenshots, but in the pastebin code:

http://pastebin.com/tGXHdkbu

peace out!

Capi

feedback appreciated!

A big THANK YOU to you too for the submission.

As we already discussed in private, I really love the inn, the exterior one tile storehouses, the middle trader / merchant sections and now also the pier.

The problem is that the inside sections don't look good for me... maybe it is just too much symmetry (although yeah, I said I do like it), maybe is too much space that feels wasted, maybe it is no "role play" justification for four workshops.

So, just as in the case of Slickshot's entry, I can't say that it is exactly what I want and close the contest now, but I voted it down (for the mentioned elements) and I wish you the best of luck for the "people's vote" if the contest will come to that point and I won't decide on something by the end of the month.

My post count is way under 100, but I thought this was fun and here's my submission anyway. http://pastebin.com/wLhuCUxb

Overview: Vineyards in the perimeter, church to the right, blacksmith to the left, central trader building with space for merchants nearby and an inn in the north (inn in the north! inn in the north! lol, bad pun)

UBiO7r7.png

Port entrance with a tower/lighthouse:

FJplkAD.png

The inn and some pens to the left, near one of the warehouses:

CfnEyn8.png

The church

A2HnSV5.png

Trader building and merchant area

ns3jKjc.png

Hope you like it. There have been quite a bunch of awesome projects already!

Edited by Glomby
  • Like 6

My post count is way under 100, but I thought this was fun and here's my submission anyway. http://pastebin.com/wLhuCUxb

I think I was not clear enough - anyone can compete.

Just that if I don't pick a project (nothing to really suit me) and the winner will be decided by the public vote (number of likes on posts) I would count only the votes (likes) of those people with 100+ posts.

As a contestant you can be even on the first post. :)

Overview: Vineyards in the perimeter, church to the right, blacksmith to the left, central trader building with space for merchants nearby and an inn in the north (inn in the north! inn in the north! lol, bad pun)

UBiO7r7.png

Port entrance with a tower/lighthouse:

FJplkAD.png

The inn and some pens to the left, near one of the warehouses:

CfnEyn8.png

The church

A2HnSV5.png

Trader building and merchant area

ns3jKjc.png

Hope you like it. There have been quite a bunch of awesome projects already!

First of all... just like in the case of all the other submissions BIG THANK YOU for you submission.

I can't say for sure, but (maybe with a few tweaks - or maybe not) this may be the project I was looking for!

I like it, I really do.

BTW, can you please add the 2D image export from deed planner too (don't have it installed here)?

The port entrance is absolutely brilliant! Also the guard tower could easily fit there somewhere! Also I totally love the trader / merchants sections.

You achieved two great things - keep a symmetry while still don't hurt the eye with exact same things and you totally enclosed the area, while still making it look quite open. AMAZING!

The only think I don't really like is that I feel there are too many trees / useless green spaces; also don't know exactly what kind of trees would fit a village theme.

Also I wait to see some closer pics / 2d model or just load it in my deed planner at home of the back of the deed (which is quite unclear in the picture).

But really, that is at least 75% what I was dreaming at. And while I can't say for sure it is the winner, it is very possible it might be.

Really great job, mate!

Disclaimer: If there will be a very low number of submissions (which I hope to not be the case considering the value of the prize), I reserve the right to not award the consolation prize (like it will be ridiculous to have only two submissions which are far from what I want and still cost me 10s).

Since I received at least three decent (if not better) entries, I consider this conditions to be met, so there will be no contest cancellation even if no further submissions will be sent.

Can you post images on imgur? I cant view these other links for some reason.

Had a quick go while shipbuilding. This is a WIP (have to do windows, clean up etc. but do tell if you like the idea) Also, what buildings/resources do you want ondeed? (adding more angles of different buildings soon, tell me which ones you want to see most.)

Album here: http://imgur.com/a/YyAB9

HD0jkZw.png

Overview:

XRiZAp9.png

Topdown:

rnVith3.jpg

Edit: some minor changes. The collage and album may have a few tiles differing from the overview as the deed plan was reworked slightly.

Edited by Cookiestomper
  • Like 4

Here is one more entry for me.  It's more symmetrical than the last.  A few notes:  chamber of shadows is for libila priests/followers while the cathedral of light is for fo, magranon, and vynora priests/followers.  I added in 2 more merchant stalls than you require, just for the symmetry.  The center tower of Trader Point is intended to house a bell-tower.  Hope you enjoy!

Cheers,

Slickshot

http://pastebin.com/TKnFa1K8

FNZit94.png

DwNYYQD.jpg

k5bN3pi.jpg

Materials needed:
Small nails=100
Shafts=16
Slabs=34
Marble slabs=26
Mortar=6385
Rock shards=940
Wires=300
Thatch=300
Pottery shingle=110
Slate shingle=210
Felled trees=20
Iron fence bars=14
Large nails=22
Stone bricks=7010
Slate slabs=26
Planks=916

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 1

Great idea for a competition! 

Better get started on an idea :)

...And then I'm done! 

OV_section.png

OV_Grid_LB.png

Materials needed: 

Small nails=232

Slabs=4

Slate shingle=420

Marble slabs=32

Wood shingle=540

Mortar=3950

Large nails=37

Iron fence bars=58

Stone bricks=4700

Planks=1360

I had fun designing this!

Edited by boombza
  • Like 2

First of all... just like in the case of all the other submissions BIG THANK YOU for you submission.

I can't say for sure, but (maybe with a few tweaks - or maybe not) this may be the project I was looking for!

I like it, I really do.

BTW, can you please add the 2D image export from deed planner too (don't have it installed here)?

The port entrance is absolutely brilliant! Also the guard tower could easily fit there somewhere! Also I totally love the trader / merchants sections.

You achieved two great things - keep a symmetry while still don't hurt the eye with exact same things and you totally enclosed the area, while still making it look quite open. AMAZING!

The only think I don't really like is that I feel there are too many trees / useless green spaces; also don't know exactly what kind of trees would fit a village theme.

Also I wait to see some closer pics / 2d model or just load it in my deed planner at home of the back of the deed (which is quite unclear in the picture).

But really, that is at least 75% what I was dreaming at. And while I can't say for sure it is the winner, it is very possible it might be.

Really great job, mate!

Sorry, I went to sleep just after I posted my submission :)

Here's the 2D view:

pHcFQTe.png

I've tried to make small slopes for max maneuverability throught the whole area, though I guess the "middle tier", which is 40 dirt above the sea level tier, could be expanded, making a single tile 40d slope, instead of the actual 2 tile 20d slope.

Also you are right, choosing trees is always a hard decision. Maybe a mixture of fruit trees is even better than a single type through all the area.

I will try to make those adjustments right now. Will upload the results in a moment, as soon as I completely wake up. Half of my brain is still sleeping, heh.

Thank you for your kind words, it's an honor :)

Edited by Glomby

I am working on an entry, so don't choose a winner just yet!

EDIT:

I have not filled in the interiors (mostly) yet, but my submission is finally at the point where you can judge it. I went for a sort of diagonal symmetry. but broke it up here and there to make it appear more "bustly". As for the buildings, I have based them on the game's shop signs in addition to OP's suggestions, but they (the baker especially) are interchangeable. To further add variety, I tried to strike a balance of wide open spaces and tight alleyways. 

All in all I am very pleased with it, and if you don't run with this design I just might. ;)

• DeedPlanner save file

• Imgur Album

29c4490a13.jpg

• 2D Overview

8816bf6992.png

Edited by Roame
  • Like 4