Sign in to follow this  
Alec

Improve Social In-game Stuff

Once again, I'm well aware of it, and is not what I'm suggesting nor what any decent MMO should have as cheap replacement for a solid in-game chat system.

I am saying there is a way to do it, so do it. Other things to be done by the devs. Also, many games, such as Anarchy do use IRC as a back end. IRC is one of the smallest, most efficient chat systems and since they are two different ones they can then be used together and if the game lags, the chat continues to work.

• Like 1

+1

IRC can be useful but just add clutter to an already unflexible system.

I don't think you understand the power of IRC and a well designed interface:

Chattoofarnew-1.jpg

AOChannelLayout.jpg

These are part of the same game. In the second one I have all the group chats coming into the first tab. Then each tab has each group so I can go follow a specific conversation.

No things in Wurm are not "fine".  It's utterly insane that in a game where players can be hours, sometimes days, away from me I cannot add them to my friends list without their character literally being right in front of me.

+1 to all these, and more.

Wurm is supposedly out of Beta now, time to act like it.

• Like 1

Argh! I love IRC so much, and the older nature of Wurm gives you so much control over the interfacing controls. But the ingame systems for some interactions are so broken too!

I totally +1 that, it is madness

It's utterly insane that in a game where players can be hours, sometimes days, away from me I cannot add them to my friends list without their character literally being right in front of me.

Added:

• Chat system to use IRC stuff as back-end.

I think you really don't understand.

Added:

• Chat system to use IRC stuff as back-end.

Edited by Keldun

Last time I joined IRC chat it seemed to be a forum for kids to yell the F word as many times as possible, and carry on other obscene discussions free of official moderation.

No thank you, not even close to what the OP is describing.

And Jen, I actually thought you were being sarcastic.  If you think that screenshot is an example of a "well designed interface", it's time to get some perspective from other games.   Your entire UI is covered up with chat boxes!!!!  It's the opposite of a good efficient interface lol.

• Like 3

Last time I joined IRC chat it seemed to be a forum for kids to yell the F word as many times as possible, and carry on other obscene discussions free of official moderation.

No thank you, not even close to what the OP is describing.

And Jen, I actually thought you were being sarcastic.  If you think that screenshot is an example of a "well designed interface", it's time to get some perspective from other games.   Your entire UI is covered up with chat boxes!!!!  It's the opposite of a good efficient interface lol.

It's possible to write ingame letters and send them but since mailing costs way too much just to send a letter so nobody bothers with it.

• Like 1

Don't know what the heck has to do the current Wurm IRC with this, I think you are venting some rage for whatever reason.

And the idea of joining village chat, without being in-game is too appealing to ignore it.

So you're saying Wurm IRC is better moderated now?  It sure wasn't last time I joined.

And since I've been supporting your idea here, I'm not sure I like your tone.  I was clearly not "raging".  Using IRC doesn't seem like what you had in mind for social stuff.  Maybe I misunderstood.

Added:

• Option to disable/enable online/ofline friend notification.

Huh kinda intrigues me that no one seems to care that Wurm's social in-game stuff is stuck at the 2000s.

Personally I am ashamed of that part.

• Like 2

Huh kinda intrigues me that no one seems to care that Wurm's social in-game stuff is stuck at the 2000s.

Personally I am ashamed of that part.

Me too... Me too...

• Like 1

-1. things work fine the way they are, we can also make paper and mail letters to friends. Welcome to Rl mailing inside of wurm.  Also, i dont want more social *improvements* to wurm, besides ability to make are own channels we can add people too like irc does. other then that systems just fine!

I'm sick of people who think everything is fine, open your eyes. This goes to all the old timers of wurm just because you who have been playing for yrs and blatantly don't like new ideas unless it benefits you. All your concerned about is how it will affect you and your hermit 25 alt play stile. This game is meant to be social mmo that's to interact with each other old players. The only people who are holding this game back are the vets and Rolf who listen to theses idiots. Try listening to the 1000 s of other people put ideas forward but just to have vets blow them out of the water. Saturday night 1k toons online out of billions of potential customers why 1k because Rolf listens to narrow minded fools who pay him lots of money threw having lots of alts and haven't got a clue how to make this game great, and the sad thing is it's easy you just have to listen.

Bump.

Cuz with the advertising on MMORPG.com would be nice if new players could get a social interface fitting a 2010s MMO.

I would recommend that the mailing of papyrus notes gets a serious cost reduction to a few iron.

Not to mention having bulletin boards or trees where we can nail papyrus notes.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

With the Xanadu hurrdurr I still see not intention of improving the social aspect of Wurm.

That makes me sad.

I like the idea of being invisible if i want to.  What the game needs is a chat tab for all, that shows every tab chat at once in colors. Or we can select which tab to view. With the ability to turn off and on any chat channel we want with just a mouse click.  It's time to end all these outdated text commands and grow up.

Daily reminder that we deserve a better in-game chat.

Tbh it would be kinda cool to not need a forums, have all that ingame.