Sign in to follow this  
Dannyiron

Books and Bookcases/Shelves:A great idea that's only been circulating.LARGE POLL

Do you like the idea of Books?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea of Books?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, But it could use improvement (Elaborate)

will we have to grind book related skills? I don't want to see thousands of books lying around with this in them:

"IJRWpQ9GOJH PAO49WUIAMGRINDINGWRITING[iewnb.........."

If not treated properly; (ie left around on the floor to rot) I think books should soak up rain and such, and decay away and be destroyed. Nobody is going to make bookshelves full of books like that. Plus, if they're treated properly like that, we won't have to look at them anyway; so everyone should win

If not treated properly; (ie left around on the floor to rot) I think books should soak up rain and such, and decay away and be destroyed. Nobody is going to make bookshelves full of books like that. Plus, if they're treated properly like that, we won't have to look at them anyway; so everyone should win

Still we need some better way to grind skill no? The only idea I have is why not add REAL mail... Send a letter to your freind across the server who is offline with the wurm post office! lol

If this happens, I'm going to probably buy premium and form the Thought Police and go around burning books that are spreading evil and lies.

If this happens, I'm going to probably buy premium and form the Thought Police and go around burning books that are spreading evil and lies.

Book burning mobile... so damn funny. I'd almost pay for prem to do this too. Sneak in at the dead of night, burn all the books, and leave.

That'd be hilarious, especially if you did it to someone who was playing "librarian".

Until you had to deal with a rage post in the town square.

Any dye should work as ink; As well as tar, charcoal, or ash.

Everyone should be able to write a book without so much effort that it would be a chore. Any skills or items around it, should be perks (like better fonts, more colors, ability to copy books).  This is just like mounts- everyone can ride, but a saddle makes you ride faster.

Not true. Not everyone can ride. Riding actually requires 21 body control. Plus finding a horse/other mount takes some luck/effort.

If we're doing books, why not add custom book covers while we're at it? They'd have to be images of a certain size, and would be uploadable or something like that. Would give some nice variation as well ;)

sounds nice :) Although we shouldn't be able to just 'upload' a picture as that would be too easy and too high tech for the period wurm is in I think.... :P

sounds nice :) Although we shouldn't be able to just 'upload' a picture as that would be too easy and too high tech for the period wurm is in I think.... :P

This, and I know I would make 1000s of books with boobies on the cover and drop them across the land.

Also, maybe at higher writing skills, have different fonts available. Also, have low skill a standard size, all caps, scribbly font. Higher skills have ability to do lowercase, and change size, italicize, bold, and neater.

This, and I know I would make 1000s of books with boobies on the cover and drop them across the land.

Also, maybe at higher writing skills, have different fonts available. Also, have low skill a standard size, all caps, scribbly font. Higher skills have ability to do lowercase, and change size, italicize, bold, and neater.

And they would be burned. All of them. By me.

except for one

dont you have to be taught to read and write?

The only way this is logical (yes wurm logic blabla) is if it is a priest thing, as back when it was the priests wrote most things, and you could say that Vynora or Libila or whateverthewho gifted you with the knowledge to read and write. Then the new skill would come in to play as the knowledge you have been gifted with is exercised.

The only way this is logical (yes wurm logic blabla) is if it is a priest thing, as back when it was the priests wrote most things, and you could say that Vynora or Libila or whateverthewho gifted you with the knowledge to read and write. Then the new skill would come in to play as the knowledge you have been gifted with is exercised.

Someone had to make up a language, since Wurm has had no written language thus far, we'll say the kingdoms just invented it, and everyone knows it, to the extent of having 1 skill.

Someone had to make up a language, since Wurm has had no written language thus far, we'll say the kingdoms just invented it, and everyone knows it, to the extent of having 1 skill.

There are scriptures at the White- and Blacklight for each of the gods. Plus, we somehow read signs.

Greatness comes from reading +1 =D i would love to write notes and have enchanted books/summoning ect ect. heck with it +2  :D

It might be impossible, but some sort of illustration tool, like a mini-paint program within wurm would be really fun to illustrate in books with. 

Yeah, just some simple brush you can use, anyone remember that old site where several ppl could work  at the same painting?

Something like that.

A brush isn't one of the connotations I get from writing :-P  I dare say you could use it though.

I say that painting portraits could also be another part of this list; There could be a main skill called "Fine Arts" followed by sub-skills of writing and painting; possibly drawing if that comes in on a similar basis to painting. But I don't think we could free-hand paint because of all the things alot of people would paint ::)  How about selected pictures you could paint; each one would take varying lengths of time at a canvas (Say, 2kg sq piece of cloth on needle?) as well as paints (similar theory to dye, just with paints?) on a palette (carving knife + log?). Once a painting was completed; it could be either sold or be a decorative feature in a home - I think this could add another personal nice touch to all the work that is planned around improving houses.

A brush isn't one of the connotations I get from writing :-P  I dare say you could use it though.

I say that painting portraits could also be another part of this list; There could be a main skill called "Fine Arts" followed by sub-skills of writing and painting; possibly drawing if that comes in on a similar basis to painting. But I don't think we could free-hand paint because of all the things alot of people would paint ::)  How about selected pictures you could paint; each one would take varying lengths of time at a canvas (Say, 2kg sq piece of cloth on needle?) as well as paints (similar theory to dye, just with paints?) on a palette (carving knife + log?). Once a painting was completed; it could be either sold or be a decorative feature in a home - I think this could add another personal nice touch to all the work that is planned around improving houses.

+1 to a painting thread

pixel Pr0nz ftw. I would so build a nude art gallery.

pixel Pr0nz ftw. I would so build a nude art gallery.

Brb, making ASCII prons

Glad we think alike  8)

Coding wise wouldnt be too hard at all, as it wouldnt clutter the database any more than the wiki.

Books with their Unique item number, as any item in game has, would be linked to a 2nd database that when you click "read"  will que the 2nd database with the item number, finding the corresponding information, and print it out simmiliar to how the in-game wiki works.  just with a prettier box i'd hope :)