Sign in to follow this  
Dannyiron

Books and Bookcases/Shelves:A great idea that's only been circulating.LARGE POLL

Do you like the idea of Books?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea of Books?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, But it could use improvement (Elaborate)

Yeah, to make it so you cant just make a book on a dime, Why not make it require something.

Like, Ink. e.g. 2.50kg of ink for 100 pages?

I do think books should be pretty simple to make. Maybe we could have the binders require some doing to create, but hefty item requirements should never stand in the way of artistic expression. I mean, if we implement books, we want people to write a lot, right?

And being able to customize the cover. Leather/cloth/wooden with copper/silver/gold reinforcement. Just an extra. Or simply none.

If this does come in, I say that we also need it to not have a copy & paste function with it. That way, each writing is more unique. If we had a copy and paste function, we could basically mass produce and I think that takes the fun away from it. I'll add a pole, see how many people actually agree to this :)

I would copy-paste my book into one of my G-keys and then just have to press it while ingame

There's always a way around it.

Copying your own books would fine. Heck, you're essentially just writing it again off memory, you'd do that IRL too.

Plagiarism should be prevented, however. Make the book text tab non-focusable.

But ofcourse, the whole window/tab for writing/reading books could be made into a non-focusable field instead of a text editor tab. That would require some kind of macro program to be used in replicating books, which is illegal anyway so...

Yeah, have it punishable to plagiarize people's work (assuming you got the idea from their work, not individually, seperate from them, and it has to be reasonably the same, not "WELL BAAAAAAW HIS BOOK HAS DIS AND MINE HAS DIS BAN HIM")

This was a idea I came up with about a month ago.

just my idea is more complex

a writing skill? - possibly the skill lvl will make the books ql be better? or the time taken to write it? possibly its length?

ink - from plants or possibly spider venom?

paper - a papyrus plant or wood?

book shelf - can store books for slower decay

book cover - made from leather or cloth (leather for higher ql)

Library - possibly a new building designed to slow book decay?

printing press? - speeds the copying of books

enchanted books? - possibly spell books? used to cast more powerful enchantments?

those are just what i can think of right now

But considering I have two MASSIVE text wall story's that are no where near complete that are seemingly popular I would like to be able to actually publish a book

Any way on my book todo list

my journal <------- I am serious about this one

my stories <------- I am serious about this one

the holy Wurmian bible <----- joking

the worshiping of Magranon the red (ty for the idea syndicate) <----- joking

the worshiping of Magranon the red.... joking

>:(

This was a idea I came up with about a month ago.

just my idea is more complex

a writing skill? - possibly the skill lvl will make the books ql be better? or the time taken to write it? possibly its length?

ink - from plants or possibly spider venom?

paper - a papyrus plant or wood?

book shelf - can store books for slower decay

book cover - made from leather or cloth (leather for higher ql)

Library - possibly a new building designed to slow book decay?

printing press? - speeds the copying of books

enchanted books? - possibly spell books? used to cast more powerful enchantments?

those are just what i can think of right now

But considering I have two MASSIVE text wall story's that are no where near complete that are seemingly popular I would like to be able to actually publish a book

Such complexity would defeat the point.

High material requirements as well as a new skill to grind would be a turn-off for most (which is the exact opposite of what we want; Literature should flourish, not be scarce). You'd probably never get your huge stories done if you had to spent as much time gathering materials as you spend writing. Same with QL level; Why would anyone want to spend time "imping" a book when they could spend that time filling it with material instead? A book's Quality is determined by its content, period :P

Printing press may be realistic, but in all honesty we could just as well do with Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V. Copying someone else's books shouldn't be possible anyway.

And again, the point in having books is to make them "useless" as a game item, and let the players give them their value. If we had them affect religion they'd just get nerfed, or extremely hard to make, which again defeats their purpose.

I still say no copy & pasting. What if someone spent absolutely hours and hours producing a scripture masterpiece; and in 5 seconds someone copied & pasted it into a cheap copy & sold it off as a work of art? Sure I guess it's possible but I just don't think it should happen. That way it ensures every book is it's own unique masterpiece. It makes everything worthwhile in my opinion - it's something you've written and nobody else has something identical. To not have that ruins the purpose in my opinion.

I still say no copy & pasting. What if someone spent absolutely hours and hours producing a scripture masterpiece; and in 5 seconds someone copied & pasted it into a cheap copy & sold it off as a work of art? Sure I guess it's possible but I just don't think it should happen. That way it ensures every book is it's own unique masterpiece. It makes everything worthwhile in my opinion - it's something you've written and nobody else has something identical. To not have that ruins the purpose in my opinion.

Well, perhaps we should enforce some laws then, and I have no problem with copy and pasting my OWN work.

I've already said it; Make the text in a book non-focusable (it means non-highlight-able and non-editable) after it's finished (except by the author). Sure, everyone could make addenda to any book in their inventory, but the previously written text would be "locked".

at least paper would be needed for books. if books take nothing, then it would be more like a metagaming item. might as well just talk in chat.

at least paper would be needed for books. if books take nothing, then it would be more like a metagaming item. might as well just talk in chat.

To be really honest, A metagame-ish item is exactly what books should be like. Keeping a library would be a game in the game, a hobby within Wurm to make the game itself more interesting. Books do not need a concrete constructive purpose when creating and keeping the books can to some be both the purpose and goal in itself.

Having a direct impact on the game, such as filling purpose of "spellbooks" for enhancing enchanting or "instructional manuals" for increasing skillgain is examples of what books should NOT be like.

Well, perhaps we should enforce some laws then, and I have no problem with copy and pasting my OWN work.

You have me corrected. Own work isn't as bad; I'd quite like to be able to do it with my own writings. But other people's work just being copied I object to - so maybe, as Looroll suggested, we do have copying - but only of our own work.

You have me corrected. Own work isn't as bad; I'd quite like to be able to do it with my own writings. But other people's work just being copied I object to - so maybe, as Looroll suggested, we do have copying - but only of our own work.

Awesome Idea.

Could make a rare series of a book too, The Story of <Wurm name here>, with only 1 copy of 3 chapters, race to find it.

Haha, awesome idea, will love reading peoples stories and gaining wurm knowladge from it.

Awesome Idea.

Could make a rare series of a book too, The Story of <Wurm name here>, with only 1 copy of 3 chapters, race to find it.

Haha, awesome idea, will love reading peoples stories and gaining wurm knowladge from it.

Why not just get ink from Octopus, as they are already in the game.

Wouldn't that make ink hard to come by? :(

If they were made a lot more common, yeah. Catching tons of "Calamares" in Wurm might feel rather off, since we're definitely not in the Mediterranean ^^

in my ideas ink would be obtained from

1. rare plants <possibly>

2. spiders (poison ink 0_0)

3. scorpion (more poison ink 00_00)

4. octopus (calamari anyone?)

People keep saying we need more trade items... whats wrong with having to find the place to catch them. The 'newer' fish are regional.

People keep saying we need more trade items... whats wrong with having to find the place to catch them. The 'newer' fish are regional.

Not speaking for everyone here, but I'd say that the point in having books & writing is to enable everyone that wants to write to be able to. Not just those who happen to live next to an octopus tile or with lumps of cash in handy.

We need more LUXURY trade items, and books should not be a luxury :)