Sign in to follow this  
Bertyegg

Bee Keeping and Brewing

I think bee keeping would be a nice addition to the nature skills. You could have all different types of bees which produce different quanities and qualities of honey maybe the harder bees could use animal husbandry to keep them. You could then use the honey to help brew beer,mead and ciders.  Also would be good for healing covers and cooking. I doubt it would be that hard to implement and i feel it would be a nice platform to implement new things for other skills too. You could have protective clothing for bee keeping from tailors and deadly stings like poison in which you would have to visit a competent healer to cure you. Also you could add some nice new foods made with honey.

Obviously there are some cleverer people out there with more ideas on this so please let me know what you think!

Oswold

• Like 2

+1 a lot. 

Bee hives would be amazing. I would totally keep them. 

Don't forget beeswax for candles and as the base ingredient for salves, akin to animal fat.

Not to mention it would be the first actual insects added to Wurm, aside from the graphical aesthetic glowbugs.

Edited by Klaa

+1 for apiculture

Could be also linked to the harvesting of fruit tree.

Great suggestion. I love the idea. Bee keeping surely would be so much fun, even visually. And brewing surely must be on the menu.

I know that these would require some decent programming work, but I think this may just be something worth working on!

+1

It's easy to visualise this in Wurm.

Wild bee hives growing on bush and tree tiles that can be harvested.

Wicker and wood bee hives that can be made to house a harvested hive.

Useful alchemy and food items.

+1

+1 would love bees.

though we probably still have to wait for sheep first

If your skill was not high enough, you have a good chance of destroying your hive and have to go look for more wild bees for another hive.

Honey Mead - YEP!!!

+1 for this.

beehive.gif

Edited by Xilanthus

So, I take it that mead would be along the lines of wine in that you can restore stam while running/climbing? I want to support this, but I feel it needs to be fleshed out into more uses before it be really considered. Royal Jelly for a 3 hour status effect that gives all wounds (current and future) effectively a 2 power healing cover on them?

Heh I've posted multiple topics about this, Beekeeping is a very intricate and complicated art, and as such, WURM MUST HAVE it.  To deny this fact is to deny all that is wurm.    A word of advice to any devloper who wants to implement this feature.   DO YOUR RESEARCH.   There is a lot to this subject more than just a few posts or topics could contain.  

The uses for bee products are endless:

• Food
  • Building materials
  • Clothing (yes you can make clothing out of bee products)
  • Containers
  • Mead 

And last but not least, as weapons! In the RL they have a long history as weapon, but thats not why I want to see them in Wurm, I just think it would be awesome.  

Edited by Battlepaw

Strangely this is always a good vote in my book, long as I can make my Bee Mines! (Don't Starve reference)

+1

Strangely this is always a good vote in my book, long as I can make my Bee Mines! (Don't Starve reference)

+1

Heh I ran into the Beeapoclypse bug in that game, the one that causes thousands of bees to swarm all over your map when the be mines bug out and keep spawning bees.   I took me several days to kill them, and I lost 3 meat effigies doing it.   :D

Interesting

All I got to add is, for heavens sake don't make each bee count as an entity in the creature pool. Surprisingly bee hives would be a nice test of the "barn" idea.

Each hive would have a bunch of variables that need attended to by the player. Once a day at random times the server would run a simultaneous equation on a hive using all those variables. A responsible beekeeper will get lots of goodies and a negligent one will find dead bees.

Use a seeded random number generator to move bees around the hive so each player see bees flying around at the same locations.

Try very hard not to make Hives be a static building we stand in front of and interact with a GUI window.