Sign in to follow this  
tobaul

A Different Xanadu Approach

In the live stream Rolf shows some concern over the lag and the size of the instance.  Watching Wurm grow it is apparent that four very different playstyles have emerged.  PVP pure, PVP epic, PVE hardcore, and pve safe.  This looks like a great opportunity to serve more with less.  Instead of a huge server, divide it into four pieces.  One for pve hardcore, abundant large mobs, harsher terrain and other make it hard on player things.  One for pve light, spiders and smaller mobs, or no aggroes, a place just to go build.  One for hunting, and one in reserve.  All with same rules, just different flavors to please more types of players, why needlessly make one player type suffer to please another.  A major failing of wurm to me is that players with no interest in hunting are in the same environment as the player with max everything, leaving neither the proper thing to hunt.

I would start with a pve safe as it would give new players a much safer place to grow to love Wurm, and perhaps slow down the start and quit trend.  We need those new players.  Sure i see the new player posts saying they enjoy the danger, what we never see are the posts from the hundreds that just quit over them without posting..  I would then follow with a hardcore pve then a hunting server if needed.  As only Rolf has the true statistics I trust that he knows better than I, if and when this idea would make sense.

I'm just wondering how we can have a different approach on Xanadu already when we don't even know the initial approach

• Like 14

The point of xanadu is to have a giant seamless server -- separating it into four different parts with different rules to it would have a negative affect and would really go against the point of the server. (not to mention separating off hard/easy areas would just go against the spirit of Wurm)

Naturally some sort of area(perhaps smaller, but some part) that's PvP would certainly be a good idea though. I heard an idea that maybe the center of the map could be pvp, which seems like a plausible and acceptable idea to me(perhaps make it a large island, along with warnings if you're approaching it.) Although if the map really ends up x16 the size of indy, there could also maybe be some form of portal(one way or maybe back and forth) to the pvp area.

Anyways, I don't really support your idea :P. Sorry bud

Edited by williamwierd

+1  

Wurm has the opportunity to grow significantly by offering different experiences for different types of players. Forcing people into a narrow viewed "mold" means some (many imo) players will just quit instead of adapting. IMO, one of the reason for Wurm's huge new player turn over rate is it because of its arrogant and selfish vision.

Edited by joedobo

+1 for some different PVE rule servers, -1 for using one giant server to do that. That would be the hardest and craziest way of achieving it.

I would -1 for more empty PVP space and further diluting the PVP playerbase but I don't PVP so don't think my -1 counts!

Edited by Shiraek

Get rid of skill loss and limit loot available for the kill, in return give the killer a larger bonus in skill for killing. You might see more people willing to play pvp if you do this. As far as making the server so diverse i wouldnt see a problem with that. anyone that wants to travel 24 hours running through a server  to hope to find someone in pvp and kill them will deserve the torment they went through in getting there. Good luck in finding your way home....

The concept of sandbox seems so different in some people than it is.... XD

I take pride in what i build and achieve, no point in throwing it away in pvp. Everything takes to long to make to have wasted in pvp.

giving the size, even if you quarter it is way to big for pvp and giving people a area to be save is the last thing I want.

We know nothing really about it. I want to know if the old servers are going to be retired. I care little for Xanadu beyond that. I have built my deed on Release. I have put much time and effort into and a good bit of money as far as games go. If my barely a year old character is going to be wiped, I am not going to make another one to wiped next year along with a couple hundred dollars spent on deeds, premium time to skill, and upkeeps. There are rumors flying around about this, that, and everything else. So if I am going to request something, I request a sticky about intentions on what is going to happen, exactly, with Xanadu. If you are going to pull the plug on what I have, tell me now.

RedBaron_Johan over here: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/99756-a-simple-yet-very-important-question-for-the-devs/#entry1010607

Hello.

I can tell you that there are no plans on closing the old servers because of Xanadu.

It will be an addition to the current ones.

I might not be able to comment much on the final implementation as I have iterated some times before as we are still in the testing phase of how far we can push it.

But there is no need to nurture such rumors to further the confusion surrounding this release.

Talk to you later Wurmians.

• Like 1

I think this guy has a point, even though everyone seems to ramming a cotton into his mouth and shutting him up without actually being open minded about suggestions and changes.

The most popular MMO making probably hundred times more revenue than Wurm Online is that lousy game Runescape. If you haven't played it before its just a 3d browser based game which allows you to do all sorts of skills, and maybe the skill list is as big as Wurm now (haven't played it in a while), including things like mining different ore types, smelting them to make lumps, making weapons, shields, armor etc etc - very similar to Wurm in that aspect.. although its not a sandbox game as the land is set and structures are fixed, 

But there are things that Runescape have implemented that work really well with the whole PVE or PVP. They have a 'wilderness' zone on one side of the map, with signs along it saying 'You are entering wilderness, beware you may lose your items upon death'

This whole zoning up parts of the map is the only way to incorporate PVE and PVP safely and cater for the most amount of users on one server. I could see there being more users on a big server with that setup, than a server thats purely PVP or PVE...

Wurm is a business too and not just a game, so you have to pull your heads out of the box sometimes and think of what will make Wurm successful, and success comes from tried and tested methods. So the original post has some meat in it, but has to be a bit more specific on how it achieves PVP & PVE in one server.

Wurm is a business too and not just a game, so you have to pull your heads out of the box sometimes and think of what will make Wurm successful, and success comes from tried and tested methods. So the original post has some meat in it, but has to be a bit more specific on how it achieves PVP & PVE in one server.

If it was about revenue he would be putting more effort into the PVE side rather than the PVP.

Thats true, I was chatting to a friend yesterday and we agreed that the dev team don't seem to treat it like a business. So many issues and ways to promote the game being neglected. Makes it seem like a bunch of gamers who are sitting in their living rooms thinking.. ''Hmmm I know, lets make a new server!" even though the existing ones are not even full Lol...

I was just saying, how they should be viewing the game as a business and not just a game or it will be stuck in one place forever.

Thats true, I was chatting to a friend yesterday and we agreed that the dev team don't seem to treat it like a business. So many issues and ways to promote the game being neglected. Makes it seem like a bunch of gamers who are sitting in their living rooms thinking.. ''Hmmm I know, lets make a new server!" even though the existing ones are not even full Lol...

I was just saying, how they should be viewing the game as a business and not just a game or it will be stuck in one place forever.

there is reasons beyond what we currently know.

it could be. the older server code can't support new game addons

example "3d mines, fully working bridges, _____"

or a new PR push, testing new hardware

we don't know

they have a plan for it.. what

only they know

heard rumors only way 3D mines can be added is reseting all mines. heard 0 bout coding issues which that rumor is not true.  xandu is the same as every other server. i beleave  the only special thing about xandu is simply, its massive and rolfs trying to stuff more players per server with a ton of land, so hes testing there coding skills and the power of the hardware to achieve it. this i beleave is happening. All mmos do a massive hardware test few times in there life. just hope it works for rolf , mb we will get better gameplay from it. But for now, all signs are pointing to a cash grab/ hardware test.

still strange views about what is a SANDBOX game...

Some view Grand Theft Auto as a sandbox.....i laughed till it hurt when i was reading the review for it. So i guess a sandbox game is whatever the developer deems worthy of the selling point of the game.

Some view Grand Theft Auto as a sandbox.....i laughed till it hurt when i was reading the review for it. So i guess a sandbox game is whatever the developer deems worthy of the selling point of the game.

I heard that too, and I didnt laugh, instead, for some reason it made me angry. Whoever says taht GTA is a sandbox game, is simply wrong.

Later I realiced people at some point got two concepts confused, open world, and sandbox.

Wurm is open world and sandbox.

GTA is open world only. (no pre-determined linear path)

Very true Rathgar, It does seem open world is more and more becoming the definition of sandbox. But once you make rules in a game its no longer sandbox now is it? If we wanted a true sandbox game then we would not have any rules or update info. We would have to discover the updates on our own and fight for our right to live on our land.

Very true Rathgar, It does seem open world is more and more becoming the definition of sandbox. But once you make rules in a game its no longer sandbox now is it? If we wanted a true sandbox game then we would not have any rules or update info. We would have to discover the updates on our own and fight for our right to live on our land.

Yes, and then I heard people saying that Second Life is not even a game, because it lacks structure, rules, goals, etc.  while I think that is THE sandbox game by excellence.

Years of discussion of that topic all over the internet lead me to a simple conclusion - the term "sandbox" is so ill defined now that using it in any meaningful (!=marketing buzzword) form is 100% pointless.

If you want to discuss the qualities of a game - discuss them, using a label that nobody can agree on it's meaning is pointless.