Sign in to follow this  
Freelancer

A little tweak on skill proficiency

Let start :

When it comes to farming your skill have impact on two things ql of crops, and number. (recently i noticed that  foraging and botanising similar - at some point it gives you more than one thing)

about the tweaking woodworking (as its bit different)

When you turn logs into planks / shafts you have respectivly same amount of stuff and woodscraps.

2kg of plank and 2kg of woodscrap. My idea is to make carpentry have impact on amount of woodscraps. I mean a noob with saw, should make a plank and 2kg of woodscrap but a character with 20carp (non prem) should  have plank and 1,6 kg of woodscrap. at 50 plank and 1kg of woodscrap. and 0,5kg woodscrap on 95-100. (to reflect situation that even masters makes little mistakes

Mining / smelting / blacksmithing. - well it would require a new skill (smelting - working same as hfc). 

A smelting noob would get 1kg of iron (and all other ores respectivly - i mean 0,1 gold) at base level. But at  20 skill it should be 1,2kg of lump at 100 skill it should be 2kg (or 0,2 gold) of course its just rough idea.  

To prove the idea itself : There are mounds of  furnance leftovers, dating from roman times,  today there are companies, who recycle those leftovers to gain more iron and other metals.

what u are suggesting on carpentry wouldnt be good for people with higher skill unless we get more than 1 plank on 1 action and i dont think many people will agree with that.

what makes you think that not getting woodscraps is just as good as getting twice as much metal?

what u are suggesting on carpentry wouldnt be good for people with higher skill unless we get more than 1 plank on 1 action and i dont think many people will agree with that.

what makes you think that not getting woodscraps is just as good as getting twice as much metal?

Not really ... plank is a plank. if you are good carpernter you would waste less material. thus - making more planks from  a single log  this is  "bonus" its hidden but it still is. While being a good smelter, make u have better impact on smelting conditions, thus reciving more metal.

typical log got 24kg of wood. Yeah? plank  weights 2kg and 2kg of scraps - plank + ws = 4kg = 24/6 = 6 planks at level 0 carp. at level 50 plank still weights 2kg but woodscrap weights 1kg  both of them weights  3kg. 24/3 = 8. So you get 2 more planks from a single log...at level 100 plank is still 2k but woodscrap is 0,5  which gives us, 2,5kg  log weights 24 24/2,5 = 9,6 rounded down to 9. At this point  good caprenter get 3 additional planks from a single log. While miner / smelter get only 1 additional kg... Just to reflect complexity of both processes. 

1) Making a plank is pure manual labor.  Requirig steady hand and knowlegde. 

2) Smelting itself its a task that requires mostly knowlegde  of fuels burning condidtions  and so on.  You dont have direct contact with the ore.

After all QL / rarity of forge could have additional impact on amount of pure metal recived.  Ist basic suggestion.  Additional 1% per QL  counting towards 1kg  I mean 50ql forge would increase amount of metal recived by 0,5kg.  Rare shoud have 10% bonus (0,6kg at 50ql) Supreme 20% (0,7kg). Legendary due to its rarity could make additional 50% --> 50QL Legendary  forge should give 3kg of metal and at this level it should be capped.  Of course 100ql  normal forge  would get 3kg too.

Edited by Freelancer

makes good sense but would it be worth the time to implement ?   +/-1

makes good sense but would it be worth the time to implement ?   +/-1

Partially its implemented already, its a matter of extending it on other skills than farming / foraging and botanising

Eh, not sure how I like it tbh.

In one regard, I love the idea of it in general (for all skills, not just the listed) however, this would really effect the market overal. While I'm not apart of said market, any new player wouldn't have a chance really, as they'd be wasting more material or having to work twice as hard...

Eh, not sure how I like it tbh.

In one regard, I love the idea of it in general (for all skills, not just the listed) however, this would really effect the market overal. While I'm not apart of said market, any new player wouldn't have a chance really, as they'd be wasting more material or having to work twice as hard...

First of all it works on farming already.

Second - when it comes to woodworking / carpentry, prices wouldnt change much... cos in the end better players, would use less trees to achive same amount. Its still same 1000 planks / shafts.it only uses less trees. 

Situation with ore is bit different, however - using high ql forge by a noob would give him 2kg lumps. So it would rather make noobs life easier, especially after joining villages.

I do not really like this increas in proeficiency because it makes skills more important to grind and it hurts the little guy.

I do not really like this increas in proeficiency because it makes skills more important to grind and it hurts the little guy.

This argument is pretty... funny -> in terms of carpentry it does not change a thing for a noob, in terms of ironworking it helps, as long as he lay hands on better ql forge.  Even forge mad on their own (10ql its not a problem) would yeld 1,1 kg of metal (or 0,11 gold).

Grinding ? gee most people  grind already, so in terms of gaming exp for them, nothin change.

Its these little changes that add up and add up.

Edit: I know the game is very grindy and there is a huge gap between skill levels but there is nothing I can say about that.

Edited by Iulianx

This argument is pretty... funny -> in terms of carpentry it does not change a thing for a noob, in terms of ironworking it helps, as long as he lay hands on better ql forge.  Even forge mad on their own (10ql its not a problem) would yeld 1,1 kg of metal (or 0,11 gold).

Grinding ? gee most people  grind already, so in terms of gaming exp for them, nothin change.

Well lulianx does have a point. Not everyone will be inclined to do it but if this were to apply to brick/mortar would it suddenly become 2x as profitable? Or would prices now get you 2x as much. That would indeedly hurt the little guy since one of the most common forms of early $ is to make one of those 2 items.

Well lulianx does have a point. Not everyone will be inclined to do it but if this were to apply to brick/mortar would it suddenly become 2x as profitable? Or would prices now get you 2x as much. That would indeedly hurt the little guy since one of the most common forms of early $ is to make one of those 2 items.

Well i didnt planned  it for a mortar. But even so. A little guy, would rather benefit from it rather than hurt. Why? at level 20 he would get 20% more from a single rockshard. so it would be  1 extra brick from 5 shards.  dont remember how mortar it counted.  at 100 skill it will become 2x profitable

Not really ... plank is a plank. if you are good carpernter you would waste less material. thus - making more planks from  a single log  this is  "bonus" its hidden but it still is. While being a good smelter, make u have better impact on smelting conditions, thus reciving more metal.

typical log got 24kg of wood. Yeah? plank  weights 2kg and 2kg of scraps - plank + ws = 4kg = 24/6 = 6 planks at level 0 carp. at level 50 plank still weights 2kg but woodscrap weights 1kg  both of them weights  3kg. 24/3 = 8. So you get 2 more planks from a single log...at level 100 plank is still 2k but woodscrap is 0,5  which gives us, 2,5kg  log weights 24 24/2,5 = 9,6 rounded down to 9. At this point  good caprenter get 3 additional planks from a single log. While miner / smelter get only 1 additional kg... Just to reflect complexity of both processes. 

1) Making a plank is pure manual labor.  Requirig steady hand and knowlegde.

as a carpenter and woodcutter i have thousands of logs rotting next to my deed every week because  its not worth for me to store them all,on the other hand i use woodscraps to fuel my forges and make kindling,so your suggestion would just make me waste my time creating woodscraps to make kindling

Edited by Tpikol

as a carpenter and woodcutter i have thousands of logs rotting next to my deed every week because  its not worth for me to store them all,on the other hand i use woodscraps to fuel my forges and make kindling,so your suggestion would just make me waste my time creating woodscraps to make kindling

since there are thousands of logs rotting next to ur deed, u can use them as a fuel, and material for kindling. I see no problem.  Moreover, its not planned to remove woodscraps complety. And in the end you will have use... 

Using woodscraps to make kindling is good when you dont want to waste logs.. since u are wasting logs, u can use them for a kindlin  there is no obligation to make kindling just from woodscraps. So ur argument failed.

leave my woodscraps alone

woodscraps are also great for low ql kindlings which are good for certain skills, just fyi..

leave my woodscraps alone

woodscraps are also great for low ql kindlings which are good for certain skills, just fyi..

nah you see only at 95 carp the woodscraps would be 0,5.. unless that.. 1kg per action. so not to worry

since there are thousands of logs rotting next to ur deed, u can use them as a fuel, and material for kindling. I see no problem.  Moreover, its not planned to remove woodscraps complety. And in the end you will have use... 

Using woodscraps to make kindling is good when you dont want to waste logs.. since u are wasting logs, u can use them for a kindlin  there is no obligation to make kindling just from woodscraps. So ur argument failed.

you are missing the point,that means i have to spend more time than i do now and not less,there is nothing good about  the change and it would have negative effects

you are missing the point,that means i have to spend more time than i do now and not less,there is nothing good about  the change and it would have negative effects

Not sure where do You waste time, but it doesent matter. I see some people here defends status quo, as it allows them grind woodcutting mindlesly on woodscraps, just aganist logic. Not to mention that this tweak would have more benefits than drawbacks for the majority. 

Moreover, between  skill level of 50 and 95, you will get 1kg and more of woodscraps. So i cant see the real reason of Your fuss about the idea.

nah you see only at 95 carp the woodscraps would be 0,5.. unless that.. 1kg per action. so not to worry

I have 97 carp, leave it as is, thanks

as a carpenter and woodcutter i have thousands of logs rotting next to my deed every week because its not worth for me to store them all,on the other hand i use woodscraps to fuel my forges and make kindling,so your suggestion would just make me waste my time creating woodscraps to make kindling

I disagree here if you have logs rotting away make THEM in kindleing or fuel... the more planks per log idea is genius the mechanics are there for other skills and the grind is not changing and noobs will still be able to do everything the same.... I made a small house last night and was putting hundreds and hundreds of wood scraps in a camp fire just to get rid of them.. I already have thousands od kindling and I use peat as fuel so scraps are a waste +5

I have 97 carp, leave it as is, thanks

If Ya want train fire making ? Make torches, or even unfinished ones... far more exciting. If ya have digging skill as high as ur carp, you can make 99ql torches or something like that) as far as i rmember 90+ql torch was worth 3s to a trader... shame i couldynt get deed for that or something but got some decent stuff