Sign in to follow this  
Butoxy

Test server bug

Test002  -  Not sure if this is the correct place for this, please move it not.

traveling along on cart with two horses, being pursued by a croc.  All of a sudden I stop like i've reached the end of a rope and the cart and horses keep going for two to three cart lengths.  I catch up to them and re-mount, steering is all messed up, I get tossed off the cart again.  I try this three or four times before trying to approach the cart from a different angle, same issue.  By this time the croc has caught up to me so logging is not a viable option.  

Then an enemy guard from way way back down the road catches up, i mean the last place I saw this guard was a ten minute cart ride ago.  Between him and the croc I'm dead because every time i move I am randomly teleporting back to the same spot.  I die.

When I leave the starting point everything seems fine, so I log and restart the game to make sure.  I progress towards the coast to try and find my gear, I have only the slightest idea where it is but I go looking, dieing on the way to the goblin leader, lol.  Anyway I find my way out near the coast and I find another of these spots.

I walk in any direction I make it a random distance then teleport back to the same spot over and over.  If I travel in straight line along the same direction as the tiles, not crossing diagonally I can sometimes make it 15 tiles or more then right back to the same tile.  When I do make it a reasonable distance before tele I take falling damage, the further away the more damage.  It is almost like the server thinks I'm in a hole or something.

Ayway, have to get to work perhaps I can help troubleshoot later, but that's after 7pm Pacific Time, which I think is middle of the night or so for the devs.

That sounds like very bad client <-> server lag.

I thought it might be but there are no other symptoms and the two times I tested have been about 8 hours apart.  The second time only 20 minutes ago and I am still going back to the exact same spot I was last night.  I don't see how it's possible to keep going back to the same exact tile time after time that many hours apart. It's all flat ground yet i'm taking falling damage on teleport?  I will look for the thread on route tracing and check the lag when I can get back on after work and add any of that information to this post.  

It's just odd that it worked for some three days without any sign of lag and I couldn't get it to replicate at the start point or anywhere along the route for over an hour.

ok. here I am a bit over 12 hours later, I log in, start to move and teleport right back to the same place.  a few seconds later I am attacked by a mountain lion.  I was able to kill the mountain lion.  How would I not be able to travel but be successful in combat if it's lag?  

Ok, after sitting here a while and trying various traces and checking things I noticed my character was getting thirsty so i tried to approach the water and was able to get a drink.  I walked back the way i came and bounced back to the water.  SO..... I decided to go for a swim.  I was able to swim a few dozen tiles in any direction the went back to the land at the same place and tried to walk to get teleported back to the water.  Again... So.... I swam down the shore a few dozen tiles to a friendly guard tower where I had them help me kill a bear and an aged large rat.

So no "lag" type "features" over here, lets swim back to the original location.  BAM.  I get close to the location and the teleporting starts all over again.

So unless there is a Bermuda lag triangle in this one location on this map I think there is something else going on. 

I submitted a ticket in game, if that works on the test server, in hopes that it would contain my location when it happened.  I am continuing my exploration to find my goods. perhaps I can find this location again if someone needs me to.

Edit to add:

What lag there is (~200ms) starts in descr: se.tele1 linknets for customers in Gothenburg and runs to your providers door.

6o0x1s.jpg

Edited by Butoxy

That sounds like very bad client <-> server lag.

Not really

Parts of the server are for some reason unreachable some areas act like sever holes. I realized that starting in the north but when my character was overlaid with such a server hole I wasn't able to log in any longer even a GM can't go there or teleport me out.

Test002 is broken.

Edited by Sklo:D

no it isn't!!

Some areas are totally bugged out if you want to see a prove I can show you...

Well, perhaps when I get home tonight if I run into more of this supposed lag I will suicide myself back to the starting point and walk back in the general direction of the episode area.  If I get all the way there without issue and get stuck again I am going to log out there until someone can come and see I'm not full of it.  Is there anyone available after 8pm pacific time if I need to prove this to someone?

Does the test server give notification before restarting? Because I forgot to mention the first night this happened I was the only one on the server (according to the server anyway) and when I logged out to try and fix it the server restarted, I know this because when it finally let me in I checked the uptime and it was only a few minutes.  Now that might be purely coincidence but....... if there wasn't a scheduled restart there might be information in the log.

This happened to me yesterday the last time.

Ok, I have been running around for a while now with no noticeable issues, I killed or helped guards kill at least three animals and even kited a mature croc for at least 30 tiles, again no noticeable issues.

I swim back to the suspect area and immediately the teleporting begins again.  The more I try to move in that direction the faster i keep teleporting. during this exercise i was periodically checking the data route and it's pretty much the same as what I posted above.  The highest latency I saw was 376ms at 62.65.8.17

(In general this route offers a good throughput, with hops responding on average within 87ms. However, all hops after hop 11 in network 'se.tele1 linknets for customers in Gothenburg' respond particularly slowly.)

I turned back and swam across the water back to the other side and things were once again normal.

This is the third period of time that I have tested this area in 48 hours, twice about this same time, around 2100 pacific, once in the AM my time.

I am going to see if I can skirt the area and determine the size, and if i'm in the right area I might even find my cart and horses in the process, although I doubt I will be able to retrieve them from the "lag zone".

Also,

Interesting item I found on the ground - it looks like a mountain lion rug but mouse over says "oakenwood wagon" and Examine says:

[20:55:12] A thick mountain lion rug. It is made from oakenwood. It could be improved with a log. Ql: 21.2619, Dam: 75.5411.

that got an LOL out of me, I picture hanging the rug on the line and beating it with a log to get the dust out and calling that improved.

Yeah test002 is NOT fine...

I guess saroman was bored so he created some items with the wrong model :P

not just model, even the examine data is messed up, like it merged two items.  It's like the movie The Fly at the end where he gets merged with the pod.

i was able to follow it a good distance, and by follow if you go in a straight line with the tiles and every once in a while i would veer to the next row and it would kick me back.  Doing this I was able to travel for over 15 minutes around the area.  I engaged in combat with creatures more than once and had no other signs of lag (ie. refresh bar bounce on right click and so on).  I did notice while on this adventure that the memory use of the wurm java task was slowly using more and more memory.  It got over 720 mb and started acting up, normally it hangs around 620 +/-.  Then things started disappearing, buildings, boats, and other player made structure/items, the world was fine as far as landscape though.  I logged out and waited a few minutes and logged back in.

I got tired of chasing the rabbit so I have continued on my journey around the land on foot - perhaps I will find my cart some day and hopefully the grass tile it was on will keep the horses alive a while.

By the way I am not having any lag issues and the only thing that has changed is my location on the map - the data route trace is still showing the same latency numbers. 

edit to correct ram use numers

Edited by Butoxy

Not really worked into the Wurm database but looks like that a part of the database is missing, maybe an overflow or something. Hopefully some dev will look into it

Yeah test002 is NOT fine...

I guess saroman was bored so he created some items with the wrong model :P

Nah that was me swapping ids on stuff, resulting in items created with that id to turn into something else.

As for zones that will cause teleportation there are a few of those around, I know that one of the old test volcanoes  and the area surrounding it is broken and put any character who walks into it into an teleportation loop.

Most performance and latency issues are non-issues since the test servers are not exactly running on any good hardware and have more limited bandwidth then the real servers.

Can I get my account out of the hole pls :) ? Name: Sklo

Thank you ErikN for the simple acknowledgment there are places on the map that are broken, this way we know we are not loosing our minds.  A fence around them might be nice though, lol, jk, sorta.

Now I know if I run into these areas to just go around and not waste my time.  

And yes, I know, it's a test server, not everything is going to work and it's probably running on the machine everyone thought was going to die two years ago.

On with Wurm... er.. actually off to bed before the wife realizes what time it is.

All three of the test servers are running on the same machine even so not ideal for performance, but it's needed so that it's possible to test stuff with the different rules that exists based on the type.

It might actually be time to reset them.